HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Marketing/promotional idea... if the team stays

Old
09-14-2009, 07:53 PM
Colt45Blast
Tippett's Tool

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinurgy View Post
Even if they were giving away Kia's that would be unbelievably expensive. We're talking millions and millions of dollars. Heck just giving 10k people, one $10,000 car each would amount to $100 million dollars!

Cool idea but way way way out of the Yotes budget!
Who said the Coyotes had to make the purchase? I'm sure something can workout where the dealers donate the vehicles for a tax write off, just like for the health and wealth raffle.
If anything the give away can only be for 1 game only but people have to buy tickets for a chance and must be present to win when its announced to the crowd this is the giveaway game.
Posted via Mobile Device

Colt45Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2009, 08:02 PM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaPride View Post
Who said the Coyotes had to make the purchase? I'm sure something can workout where the dealers donate the vehicles for a tax write off, just like for the health and wealth raffle.
If anything the give away can only be for 1 game only but people have to buy tickets for a chance and must be present to win when its announced to the crowd this is the giveaway game.
Posted via Mobile Device
I don't think dealers are going to do something like that. They are not exactly rolling in the money themselves these days. While a tax write off is nice, it's not like it's a tax credit. You're still losing money big time!

One car is certainly doable. Maybe use the rollover affect that was talked about earlier. Like first you giveaway a Kia Sephia, if no one wins you give away a Honda Accord, if no one wins you give away a Chrysler 300C, etc. etc.

Sinurgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2009, 08:10 PM
Colt45Blast
Tippett's Tool

Quote:
I don't think dealers are going to do something like that. They are not exactly rolling in the money themselves these days. While a tax write off is nice, it's not like it's a tax credit. You're still losing money big time!

One car is certainly doable. Maybe use the rollover affect that was talked about earlier. Like first you giveaway a Kia Sephia, if no one wins you give away a Honda Accord, if no one wins you give away a Chrysler 300C, etc. etc.
That makes more sense! Of course there would have to be a minimum spent on tickets at gate value or owning season tickets in the lower level to qualify since that's where need to improve on sales.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old
09-14-2009, 08:11 PM
ower

man, some of this stuff is gimmicky.

yeah giveaways are nice, but they should be perks for attending not incentives. You're going to be attracting the wrong type of people.

People need to care about the team and feel connected to them. There needs to be a team identity. Look at college fans. They identify with their educational institution. Sure they are happy when they get a really good player and they'll cheer for them, but their loyalty is more based in identifying with the team.

Some guy showing up for chance at 10k or a ride to the International space station isn't going to care about the game or team and once that prize is gone, I'll give vegas odds isn't going to be back for another game. The risk\reward isn't worth it.

Businesses need to be involved, get kids involved, there needs to be better promotion and like it or not. The team needs to win or at least have some winning seasons, even some play off success.

ower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2009, 08:13 PM
ower

Quote:
Another Idea! Giveaway free cars or houses to everyone at least 18 in attendance. Of course we can't say in advance what games will be the give away which means people will have to buy the tickets at any games for a chance.

Didn't Oprah surprise her audience once be giving them free cars?

Didn't the Blues last season pay mortgages for those who attended for only up to a few months?
Posted via Mobile Device

Yeah she did, difference is though Oprah is already successful and people are going to watch her show and attend the studio audience, Cars or not.

Old
09-14-2009, 08:31 PM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ower View Post
man, some of this stuff is gimmicky.
So quit *****in and put out some actual ideas then!

Old
09-15-2009, 04:14 AM
ower

Quote:
So quit *****in and put out some actual ideas then!

I did, why don't we just get some Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Men. i know a guy who, thanks to a shipping error is over stocked on Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Men.

anyway, there was a study done back in 2002 by the NCAA called "NCAA Basketball: The State of the Game". They had a section that discussed the differences between why people are fans.

Having a favorite team connection is an major element in interest in any sport and of being a fan. It also said that aside from that, competition and "catharsis" are the next biggest elements.

It had an outline of the process of becoming a "sports fan". They called it the five phases of a "sports love affair."

1st: introduction (this is where most of the fans had been introduced to the game either playing themselves now, or sometime in their past)
2nd is attraction
3rd is connection
4th is committment
5th the team becomes part of the fan's identity.

There needs to be more exposure, invest that money into youth leagues, Donate equipment, Do a training camp or have players come talk to some of the kids. Focusing on kids isn't necessarily "building fans for tomorrow". People want things they can do as a family. Getting kids interested and they'll talk their parents into going to games.

Promote the team and games better. Every time I come back for a visit, you wouldn't even know Phoenix has a Hockey team. How many snowbirds come to Arizona and how many of them are Canadians? Why aren't these people attending the games?

Giving away trips, money, cars,paying off a mortgage might put a few butts in the seats now but any fans you might pull in are not going to even out how much money your throwing away to get them. i honestly don't think it will make any impact on attendance or future attendance. Promote the team and get fans fully invested and identified with the team, Educate people on the game, and hope for a successful team.

There's no quick fix other than then team needs to be successful, and short of winning the cup this season, probably successful for a couple seasons before you're going to start seeing a change.

Old
09-15-2009, 05:04 PM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

I believe what most people are concentrating on around here right now is Phase 1: Introduction. The idea being that some people who come to the arena for a reason other than the Yotes could end up being entertained enough to comeback regardless of a promotion. A live hockey game is pretty damn exciting but we have to get people out there to see it.

Old
09-15-2009, 07:56 PM
HockeyHillbilly

Quote:
I believe what most people are concentrating on around here right now is Phase 1: Introduction. The idea being that some people who come to the arena for a reason other than the Yotes could end up being entertained enough to comeback regardless of a promotion. A live hockey game is pretty damn exciting but we have to get people out there to see it.
Something the North Stars used to do during pre-season was inter-squad scrimmages up in St. Cloud, Duluth, etc. to help generate fan support outside of Minneapolis & St. Paul.

There's no reason the yotes couldn't do something similar in Flag or Tucson. Heck even a day or two in Vegas or San Diego. It's not like they have NHL teams.

HockeyHillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 12:42 PM
yakko

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyHillbilly View Post
Something the North Stars used to do during pre-season was inter-squad scrimmages up in St. Cloud, Duluth, etc. to help generate fan support outside of Minneapolis & St. Paul.

There's no reason the yotes couldn't do something similar in Flag or Tucson. Heck even a day or two in Vegas or San Diego. It's not like they have NHL teams.
That's the best introduction idea I've heard so far. If it was cheap and can be done when it is hot out you might just attract some folks that aren't already hockey fans or at least aren't already big enough fans to attend many games in Glendale. The U of A and NAU both have teams with which they could potentially cross promote.

yakko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 06:04 PM
Devils Advocate
mmmmmm....Crow.

Quote:
Operating from a position of relative weakness means that to make an impression they must be bold and come up something with more than slick slogans that turn into bad jokes when the team goes sour.
How about a 3-day event to build the fanbase before the season? Something that would include former and present players (Teppo, Burkie, Tochett, maybe even JR & Tkachuk?), interactive games to try out hockey skills, player autographs, GMDM, Ulf, Fuhr, Sulliman. Maybe some of the Major NHL trophies.

Maybe some of the old Phoenix Roadrunners of the WHA, IHL, or even the PHoenix Mustangs...

Maybe they could get Alice Cooper, the Meat Puppets, or one of the many versions of the Robin Wilson bands to play?

Quote:
Starting Friday the Kings will hold a three-day Hockey Fest at LA Live and the Nokia Theatre, across from Staples Center. Fans can meet former and present players, test their hockey skills with interactive games, get players' autographs and ask questions of General Manager Dean Lombardi, assistant GM Ron Hextall and Coach Terry Murray.
All of the major NHL trophies will be on display except the Cup, which is spending the summer with the Pittsburgh Penguins.

Kickoff party. A pep rally-style party in the LA Live Plaza, across the street from Staples Center. Team members, alumni and special guests will be introduced and Eddie Kowalczyk of the band Live will perform at the Nokia Theatre.
http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-spw...,1959028.story

check out all the cool things on page 2 of the article...

Failing that....we could get some of these folks on Glendale & 91st Ave; Glendale & 99th Ave; Camelback & 91st Ave; Camelback & 99th Ave:

Here's Moyes:

Devils Advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 06:37 PM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Quote:

That's definitely a good idea and I'm kinda surprised they don't already do something like that!

Old
09-16-2009, 09:17 PM
Colt45Blast
Tippett's Tool

Quote:
That's definitely a good idea and I'm kinda surprised they don't already do something like that!
It might have to do with the level of play gap. Its common for some major league sports to hole exbitions involving NCAA teams but to have the Coyotes play ACHA division schools forget about it. The Coyotes worst players would kill the best players on any ACHA DIV 1 school. The games would be over in less than 5 minutes.

Maybe to play against the Sundogs or Vegas or Stockton or whatever team JR's son owns, maybe even have some games with the Coyotes in San Antiono.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old
09-16-2009, 09:22 PM
Colt45Blast
Tippett's Tool

Anyone ever see that Shaq vs show or whatever?

Maybe we can get Shaq to play goalie while the Yotes take penalty shots on him!
Posted via Mobile Device

Old
09-16-2009, 09:44 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

How about ten bucks for any seat to pre-season games? Well, not any seat, but first come first serve to "best available", as not to screw the STHs. Only at the window, too, and a max number(maybe six?).

Maybe have other nights like that, too. A Wild game on a Monday night, or something. Lower bowl for dirt cheap might attract new fans. Maybe ten bucks for any available upper level or twenty for any available lower. STH's could obviously upgrade for those games.

Live games can win new fans. I think great seats really increase the likelyhood of that occurance.

Of course, they'd actually have to ADVERTISE it.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2009, 03:21 AM
yakko

Quote:
It might have to do with the level of play gap. Its common for some major league sports to hole exbitions involving NCAA teams but to have the Coyotes play ACHA division schools forget about it. The Coyotes worst players would kill the best players on any ACHA DIV 1 school. The games would be over in less than 5 minutes.
I think you missed the point. The idea was not for the Coyotes to play against the Ice Cats or the Ice Jacks, but to have them play an intra-team scrimmage where those teams play in order to bring pro hockey to the fans in Tucson, Flagstaff, Las Vegas, etc (and the respective regions) in the pre-season. It is about attracting fans from areas near Phoenix, not leveling a college team in front of their fans.

yakko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2009, 06:49 PM
GalenYote

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakko View Post
I think you missed the point. The idea was not for the Coyotes to play against the Ice Cats or the Ice Jacks, but to have them play an intra-team scrimmage where those teams play in order to bring pro hockey to the fans in Tucson, Flagstaff, Las Vegas, etc (and the respective regions) in the pre-season. It is about attracting fans from areas near Phoenix, not leveling a college team in front of their fans.

I was thinking the same thing but their season doesnít start till after the NHL regular season. BUT a autograph signing event will work and you donít even need to send the equipment. I would pay double for a Icecats game if I can get a Doan signature. And what better way to promote hockey then to show the NHL to those already at a hockey game, and it showed the NHL supports grassroots hockey. A win all around.

GalenYote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 10:44 AM
AzYotes18

guys I called the front office yesterday to ask a question, I am a season ticket holder but I was curious to see what they would say.

I asked about getting some deals or just flat out opening the doors to anyone who wants to watch preseason for free.

The answer: Jerry Moyes still has to approve and he has our hands tied to do anything right now. He has more power still than we think he does. It actually made me sick to hear that. He is purposely trying to sink the front office from doing anything productive, like selling tickets or running promos'.

They want too guys, they aren't allowed via Jerry moyes.

AzYotes18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 11:38 AM
Mayo Taco Monday

vCash: 605
Send a message via MSN to Mayo Taco Monday
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzYotes18 View Post
guys I called the front office yesterday to ask a question, I am a season ticket holder but I was curious to see what they would say.

I asked about getting some deals or just flat out opening the doors to anyone who wants to watch preseason for free.

The answer: Jerry Moyes still has to approve and he has our hands tied to do anything right now. He has more power still than we think he does. It actually made me sick to hear that. He is purposely trying to sink the front office from doing anything productive, like selling tickets or running promos'.

That isjust beyond pathetic...

Mayo Taco Monday is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 12:07 PM
zyllyx
STH Hipster

Quote:

Of course, none of THIS will make it into the pro-Balsillie media up north, because they're determined to make Unca Jerry into the sainted martyr of Glendale.

zyllyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 12:20 PM
Robotbike

That makes sense about Moyes. If they were serious about getting fans, they would make the preseason tickets free, or very nearly so, and promote the hell out of them. Exposing thousands of people who have never seen a hockey game before would yield lots of new fans. Even if only a small percentage of those ended up buying regular season tickets, they'd still be bringing in more fans they otherwise would, and it's not like it would cost them any extra money to make those seats free in the preseason--all the costs are fixed.

Robotbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 03:28 PM
HockeyHillbilly

Perhaps Doan could do a similar type ad for us?... j/k. But a few years back the Twins (While sucking around '99-'00) did a "Get to know 'em" campaign while they were a young team, similar to us. It was super cheesy, but it had people talking about the twins & it won several advertising awards.

Btw... be sure to hang in there for the fart joke at the end.

Last edited by HockeyHillbilly: 09-19-2009 at 03:30 PM. Reason: Added Btw...
HockeyHillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 04:29 PM
Coyote_Fan

First off, why is Andy Dick doing a NHL commercial? And secondly, I think the team should rent those tour busses that take people out to the casino's and bring the fans in from the east valley. The ones who complain that its too far to drive.

Coyote_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 05:03 PM
Colt45Blast
Tippett's Tool

Quote:

Strange! The BOG voted and stripped him of any remaining authority of the team even though he is still the majority owner!
Posted via Mobile Device

Old
09-19-2009, 05:40 PM
Robotbike

Quote:
Perhaps Doan could do a similar type ad for us?... j/k. But a few years back the Twins (While sucking around '99-'00) did a "Get to know 'em" campaign while they were a young team, similar to us. It was super cheesy, but it had people talking about the twins & it won several advertising awards.

Btw... be sure to hang in there for the fart joke at the end.
Why does he have a creepy Michael Jackson dummy? Good way to scare people.

Robotbike is offline   Reply With Quote