Old
09-04-2009, 05:48 PM
BigG44

vCash: 500
Brad Richards - Don't Panic

Don't Panic, this isn't a new injury.

From DallasStars.com:

Quote:
You had a rough season last year, breaking your wrist and sustaining a broken hand in your return to the lineup. How did that affect your preparation for this season?

Richards: The game plan was to take care of my hand because I broke that in the game. I also did some stuff to my shoulders; thatís been a nagging injury over the last few years. It was an opportunity to get my whole body healthy, not that it was too awful. I just took the opportunity to try and get everything cleared up and be 100% going into training camp. It was a long summer; you donít want to have long summers, but when you have them, you can take advantage of it to get yourself in the best condition possible.
He's pretty vague so I have no idea how he got his whole body healthy, but I assume if rest the past few years in the summer didn't help, he may have had surgery to correct the shoulder problem. Anyway, he's had a rough couple years: nagging injuries to his shoulders, mono, and two broken wrist/hands.

Letís hope for a healthy year.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 05:57 PM
txomisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
Don't Panic, this isn't a new injury.

From DallasStars.com:

He's pretty vague so I have no idea how he got his whole body healthy, but I assume if rest the past few years in the summer didn't help, he may have had surgery to correct the shoulder problem. Anyway, he's had a rough couple years: nagging injuries to his shoulders, mono, and two broken wrist/hands.

Let’s hope for a healthy year.
Perhaps those nagging injuries are an explanation for why he has a slow buildup to a career high points and dropped off from that. Maybe its an indication that him gettng back up over a point per game isnt so unlikely.

txomisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 05:58 PM
BigG44

Take some time. It's worth it: http://stars.nhl.tv/team/console.jsp...9&event=DAL654

This is one of the last goals Richards scored before he went down in February. Neal and Eriksson are on the ice with him, and Neal shows how dominate he can be with puck before springing Richards for the goal.

More of this please!

Old
09-04-2009, 06:21 PM
piqued

vCash: 3722
You are suffering serious hockey withdrawals.

I started going through all his goals after watching that and Ott should've had an even 20 on the year -- Richards stole one from him that was already going across the goal line.

As far as the shoulder injury... we've been hearing one thing after the next as to why he's not the same player he was in Tampa. I want to believe it, sure, but we'll see I guess.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 06:31 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued1457 View Post
You are suffering serious hockey withdrawals.

I started going through all his goals after watching that and Ott should've had an even 20 on the year -- Richards stole one from him that was already going across the goal line.

As far as the shoulder injury... we've been hearing one thing after the next as to why he's not the same player he was in Tampa. I want to believe it, sure, but we'll see I guess.
Yes Ö. Iím suffering, and the NHL Network not covering the Traverse City Tournament was soul crushing Ö..

Did you see his 2nd to last goal?

It was the PPG with Ott in front of the net. That play is the reason Ott may earn a spot in the PP rotation. He's really worked on deflections (yeah I know that wasn't one), and his play in front of the net was his biggest improvement last year IMO.

Old
09-04-2009, 06:40 PM
piqued

Yep, but in fairness that was a 5 on 3 and it was pretty easy for Ott to go and just stand there without being hassled.

I think he could definitely play a regular PP role 2 men up, but I'd be hesitant to take minutes away from other guys 5 on 4.

Old
09-04-2009, 06:46 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Yep, but in fairness that was a 5 on 3 and it was pretty easy for Ott to go and just stand there without being hassled.

I think he could definitely play a regular PP role 2 men up, but I'd be hesitant to take minutes away from other guys 5 on 4.
I know, but check out the deflection off the Niskanen point shot .... I'll see if I can find it, but it may be in his highlight video on DallasStars.com.

I lack he faith the Ott will continue his overall solid play. Last year when he was told he could fight, he started falling back into some of his bad habits.

Ultimately, I think he can excel in his pest role, but he may be able to develop into a solid PP net presence. I don't know if he'll put up consistent points at ES though.

Old
09-04-2009, 06:49 PM
BigG44

Found it: http://stars.nhl.tv/team/console.jsp...05&event=COL99

Old
09-04-2009, 06:58 PM
piqued

Yeah that was a great deflection. Niskanen passed that at him though, I don't think it was really a shot.

The other thing that stands out watching Ott's goals are breakaways. Maybe we can expect his greatest special teams contribution coming shorthanded? Sure would be nice if someone could replace the Hagman/Barnes factor.

edit: this is probably the best example of everything we've been talking about. A Richards point shot with Ott deflecting it home.

Old
09-04-2009, 07:04 PM
BigG44

Quote:
The other thing that stands out watching Ott's goals are breakaways. Maybe we can expect his greatest special teams contribution coming shorthanded? Sure would be nice if someone could replace the Hagman/Barnes factor.
That's a great point. Although, I have to go with the Richards-Eriksson pair as most dangerous on the PK.

I want Ott to be successful because I have a feeling he'll be around for a while. I'm still just a little skeptic about his long term offensive ability. I kinda wish they could permanently prevent him from fighting. His play is night and day when he isn't worrying about fighting.

I wonder if heíll work the PK with Sutherby. Werenít they paired together last year?

Old
09-04-2009, 07:23 PM
piqued

They need to kidnap Ott and take him to brainwashing school where he will be taught to only use his aggression against the Malaysian prime minister.

He played with Sutherby a little bit. I thought he was with Ribs most of the time though. Maybe that changed toward the end.

Old
09-07-2009, 08:11 PM
DaStars99
Purdue Alumnus

Quote:
They need to kidnap Ott and take him to brainwashing school where he will be taught to only use his aggression against the Malaysian prime minister.

DaStars99 is offline   Reply With Quote