HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dan Hinote

Old
09-04-2009, 08:51 PM
Kitten Mittons

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthock View Post
I still want Malholtra ... Nichol-Malholtra-Hinote. Now that's a PK line ...
I wouldn't mind him either but he's pretty high-paid. $1.5 mil was his last salary - we don't have that much money. Besides, there is no one on the 4th line that can score so his role will be diminished.

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 08:52 PM
ChompChomp
SACK T-MAC

Quote:
Awesome. Shelley-Nichol-Hinote sounds a lot better than Shelley-Nichol-Staubitz

Yeah, Malhotra would be awesome...plus as I said before he'd be story in the Bay Area because of his ethnic background, like Setoguchi! (Too bad it won't happen)

ChompChomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 08:52 PM
D Huang

Send a message via AIM to D Huang
Quote:
Awesome. Shelley-Nichol-Hinote sounds a lot better than Shelley-Nichol-Staubitz

Throw Ortmeyer in for Shelley and its just as good imo...

Surprised that a lot of people think he is running out of gas in the tank...he's only 32.

D Huang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 08:59 PM
Vaasa

vCash: 727
I'm not too high on the idea:

Quote:
With a limited scoring touch — a career 38 goals and 90 points — the 6-foot, 195-pound Hinote, who played at West Point for a year, is better know for his willingness to battle in the corners and on the penalty kill as well as his strong locker room presence.
He has fewer goals than Nichol does, despite having played almost 100 more games. The Sharks don't just need purely defensive guys, they need ones who can chip in some points once in a while. Staubitz isn't going to score much, neither is Shelley. Ortmeyer isn't either. They need someone on that line who is a threat to at least put up 10 goals a season.

Vaasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 09:08 PM
VP and GM
Havlat is gone!

i think this is a great idea;
1) throw a vetern player in the mix to compete for a roster position on the team. It's possible a prospect just won't be ready to compete for the full 82 game schedule.
2) he's a high energy guy, very good defensively, PK and might chip in the rare goal from the scouting report i've read
3) all things being equal i'd rather have a vetern player on the ice over a rookie in the playoffs. Rookies can get schooled by vets in the playoffs resuting in GA

a win-win for all parties i'd say.

VP and GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 09:11 PM
WineShark
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaasa View Post

He has fewer goals than Nichol does, despite having played almost 100 more games. The Sharks don't just need purely defensive guys, they need ones who can chip in some points once in a while. Staubitz isn't going to score much, neither is Shelley. Ortmeyer isn't either. They need someone on that line who is a threat to at least put up 10 goals a season.
Have to agree. Shelley has a role at least. Staubitz could have a utility role if he is skated as forward/defenseman/enforcer. I like Hinote for his work ethic but I liked Grier too and that kind of player wasn't enough for this team.

Fact is, we need some scoring out of the bottom lines. And before I went with Hinote, I would seriously consider promoting a younger guy to give him game experience - even if he didnt score more than Hinote in a rookie year. At least the rookie would be an investment for next season.

Its still a good call to give him a shot. You never know what happens with injuries in the preseason and this might be a good insurance ticket.

09-04-2009, 09:12 PM
Kitten Mittons

Why do we need to have our 4th line as a scoring one? Last year we only had 2 lines, now with Mitchell and McGinn, we have 3 scoring lines.
The fourth line will be a gritty, 'pesty' defensive line - what's wrong with that?

Old
09-04-2009, 09:17 PM
Led Zappa
Oy vey...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WineShark View Post
Have to agree. Shelley has a role at least. Staubitz could have a utility role if he is skated as forward/defenseman/enforcer. I like Hinote for his work ethic but I liked Grier too and that kind of player wasn't enough for this team.

Fact is, we need some scoring out of the bottom lines. And before I went with Hinote, I would seriously consider promoting a younger guy to give him game experience - even if he didnt score more than Hinote in a rookie year. At least the rookie would be an investment for next season.

Its still a good call to give him a shot. You never know what happens with injuries in the preseason and this might be a good insurance ticket.
As long as he legitimately earns his position and isn't put out there solely because he's a vet, I can't see anything wrong with this move.

Like you said, insurance. I'de like nothing better than for one of the youngin's to beat him out, but this just adds to the competition.

"This is not a nick or a scratch, this is an open wound" - Doug Wilson.
Led Zappa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 09:22 PM
D Huang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidhye View Post
Why do we need to have our 4th line as a scoring one? Last year we only had 2 lines, now with Mitchell and McGinn, we have 3 scoring lines.
The fourth line will be a gritty, 'pesty' defensive line - what's wrong with that?
I agree. Its almost plain unrealistic to expect the 4th line to score that many goals. This year its 3 scoring lines, and the 4th line is a pesky, physical, shutdown line. Ortmeyer, Nichol, and Hinote all play excellent defensively and on the PK. Solid if you ask me.

Old
09-04-2009, 09:27 PM
MadmanSJ
Know Your Onion!

+1 for Depth
+1 for Camp Competition

Still looking for a solid third line scoring acquisition to play with Mitchell and McGinn (unless of course nothing changes going into the season and Setoguchi on the third line would make it a pretty dangerous line)

MadmanSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 09:29 PM
allworldcaucasn*

Send a message via AIM to allworldcaucasn*
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadmanSJ View Post
Maybe we can do for him what we did for JR...

Allow him to go out on a high note.

lolz

allworldcaucasn* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 11:20 PM
matt trick

Quick and dirty:
Note" If a team had one 40 goal scorer he would count in each category.
Team10 goal scorers 20 goal scorers 30 goal scorers 40 goal scorers Notes
Boston10~920Sturm Healthy? Kessel unsigned? Will need to move one of these players
Carolina8411None
Calgary7510Exceptional defense over forward depth. Iginla should hit 40
Chicago10521Will Eager replicate that performance on the 4th line
Columbus9311 Filatov could take Modin's place
Dallas9630 Improvement from young guys; expect fall off from Ott
Detroit9430 Helm, Abdulkader won't get the ice time, but would elsewhere, Homer to fall off?
Philly6541Expect Giroux to hit 20. Traded depth for Pronger.
Pitt10620Huge proportion of goals are scored with Malkin/Crosby
St. Louis11620Expect fall offs from the lowest goalscorers, but big years/returns from Kariya/Perron.
Washington8511None
San Jose9620 I expect Pavelski, Marleau, and McGinn to reach the next level (10, 30, 40).
Anaheim7620How does three top 6 RWs and only one top 6 LW work out?

10+ goal scorers:
AddedAnaheim- Perry (32), Ryan (39 pro-rated), Selanne (27), Getzlaf (25), Koivu (~23), Ebbet (pro-rated 12), Lupul (27). 7 10+ goal scorers.

Boston- Kessel (36-unsigned), Ryder (27), Savard (25), Krejci (22), Wheeler (21), Kobasew (21), Sturm (30 pro-rated), Bergeron (10 pro-rated, probably in the 20's if healthy), Lucic (17), Reechi (23). 10 10+ goal scorers.

Carolina Hurricanes- Staal (40), Whitney (24), Ruutu (26), Cullen (22), Larose (19), Brind'amour (16), Samsonov (16), Walker (10 pro-rated). 8 10+ goal scorers.

Calgary- Iginla (35), Jokinen (29), Langkow (21), Bourque (21), Moss (20), Glencross (13), Boyd (11)
7 10+ goal scorers.

Chicago-Hossa (40), Toews (34), Sharp (26), Kane (25) Versteeg (22), Bolland (19), Ladd (15), Byfuglien (15), Eager (11), Brouwer (10). 10 10+ goalscorers.

Columbus- Nash (40), Umberger (26), Huselius (21), Vermette (16) Torres (12), Brassard (24 pro-rated), Voracek (9 and improving), Modin (16 pro-rated), Chimera (15 pro-rated). 9 10+ goalscorers.

Dallas- Erikkson (36), Morrow (32; 2 years ago), Neal (24), Riberio (22), Ott (22 pro-rated), Brunnstrom (17), Richards (23 pro-rated), Modano (15), Lehtinen (14 pro-rated). 9 10+ scorers.

Detroit- Franzen (34), Datsyuk (32), Zetterberg (31), Cleary (14), Holmstrom (20 pro-rated), Filppula (12), Bertuzzi (~10-20), Williams (~10-15), Leino (~10-30), Helm? Potentially 10 10+ goal scorers (maybe another one or depending on Draper and Abdelkader).

Philly- Carter (40), Gagne (34), Richards (30), Hartnell (30), Briere (30 pro-rated), Giroux (18 pro-rated). 6 10+ goalscorers.

Pitt- Malkin (35), Crosby (33), Staal (22), Fedotenko (20 pro-rated), Guerin (~20-30), Kunitz (~25-35), Kennedy (18 pro-rated), Cooke (13), Dupuis (12), Talbot (12). 10 10+ goal scorers.

San Jose- Marleau (38), Seto (31), Thornton (25), Pavelski (25), Michalek (23), Clowe (22), Cheechoo (12), Mitchell (10 2 years ago), McGinn (10 pro-rated). 9 10+ goal scorers.

St. Louis- Boyes (33), Backes (31), Tkachuk (25), Berglund (21), Perron (15), AndyMac (28 pro-rated), Oshie (20 pro-rated), Winchester (13), Crombeen (11), McClement (12) Kariya (will get 10). 11 10+ goalscorers. I'll admit that is unbelievable.

Washington- Ovy (56), Semin (32), Laich (23), Backstrom (22), Fleischmann (19), Fehr (12), Nylander (10 pro-rated), Knuble (~20), Steckl could get there as well. 8 10+ goalscorers.

Last edited by matt trick: 09-04-2009 at 11:25 PM.
matt trick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 11:28 PM
matt trick

Reason for the above post:

Wasn't sure Vaasa's claim that a team needs 4th line 10 goal scorers was legit, but he may have a bit of gripe. With that said the Sharks could boast 1 40 goal scorer (Marleau) 2 30 goal scorers (Setoguchi, Pavelski, and maybe one of Thornton/Cheechoo/Michalek/Clowe), and 4 20 goal scorers (the remaining three), and 2 10-15 goal scorers (McGinn and Mitchell).

matt trick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2009, 12:42 AM
D Huang

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt trick View Post

Wasn't sure Vaasa's claim that a team needs 4th line 10 goal scorers was legit, but he may have a bit of gripe. With that said the Sharks could boast 1 40 goal scorer (Marleau) 2 30 goal scorers (Setoguchi, Pavelski, and maybe one of Thornton/Cheechoo/Michalek/Clowe), and 4 20 goal scorers (the remaining three), and 2 10-15 goal scorers (McGinn and Mitchell).
Marleau could hit 40, I think he will get around 35 this year. I think Cheechoo is good for at least 30 if he is healthy and stays on the top line this year. Thornton around 20. I think one of Michalek, Pavelski or Clowe will get into the high 20s, maybe even 30 and the other 2 will be 20-25 as they have been. Mitchell and McGinn good for around 10-15 as you stated

Old
09-05-2009, 01:00 AM
sjsharky

according to sportsnet central just now, they signed him. They didn't give any details, however.

sjsharky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2009, 01:05 AM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjsharky View Post
according to sportsnet central just now, they signed him. They didn't give any details, however.
To a tryout contract, sure.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2009, 01:46 AM
Vaasa

vCash: 727
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt trick View Post

I wasn't focused on guys who actually hit 10 goals, but guys who can put up the occasional goal. At the moment, the only guy on that 4th line who might pot even 5 goals is Nichol. He's also the only one who might hit 10 goals.

While you want your primary scoring from the top 2 lines. Depth of scoring is absolutely critical if you want to win those close games. Especially in the playoffs where opposing teams have had success shutting down the Sharks top 2 lines. We can expect a bit more goal scoring this year with Mitchell back and McGinn getting a full year. But you do need those extra goals from the 4th line as well. This is what Mark Smith used to give the Sharks on the 4th line as well. In the 05-06 team, he had 9 goals and 15 assists playing mostly on the 4th line. That sort of scoring depth was one of the reasons the team did so well. Along with having 6 20 goal scorers.

Vaasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2009, 01:51 AM
Rickety Cricket

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChompChomp View Post
Yeah, Malhotra would be awesome...plus as I said before he'd be story in the Bay Area because of his ethnic background, like Setoguchi! (Too bad it won't happen)
Does he really embrace that though? I mean some people would rather not have the spotlight on them. The Sharks or the press really haven't made much of Seto being half Japanese.

Rickety Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2009, 02:28 AM
Rickety Cricket

Quote:

Well, the way I look at is the worst that can happen is that he bombs and doesn't make the team and the Sharks are no worse than they are before. Truthfully we can have an idea on how players like Ortmeyer, Nichol or Hinote might play/produce but we honestly don't know. When the Sharks signed Roenick how many people honestly expected him to score 14 goals and 33 points and two big goals in a game 7?

Old
09-05-2009, 02:30 AM
Kitten Mittons

Yeah, but Roenick was once 99 in an NHL game. He was a great goalscorer with an enormous talent. Those three, obviously, don't have that. I'm not saying they will not surprise us by their defense, grit and physicality... but it definitely will not be goalscoring.

Old
09-05-2009, 02:36 AM
Rickety Cricket

Quote:
Yeah, but Roenick was once 99 in an NHL game. He was a great goalscorer with an enormous talent. Those three, obviously, don't have that. I'm not saying they will not surprise us by their defense, grit and physicality... but it definitely will not be goalscoring.
Well, I'm not saying they're gonna turn into 15 goal scorers, but I'm also saying don't rule out a Hinote-Nichol-Ortmeyer line popping in 15 goals total. We really don't know how its gonna turn out till they step on the ice.

Old
09-05-2009, 04:46 AM
ChompChomp
SACK T-MAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickety Cricket View Post
Does he really embrace that though? I mean some people would rather not have the spotlight on them. The Sharks or the press really haven't made much of Seto being half Japanese.
I've seen articles around, especially in Indo-American circles, about Malhotra being half-Indian and the only the second player of Indian descent in the NHL (the first being former Shark Robin Bawa). I don't think he hides it.

Plus there are not many pro athletes in North American of Indian descent, although there are many that have Japanese ancestry (albeit the majority are in MLB, but still). That's a big difference. Seto might not be a big story in the Bay Area based on ethnicity, but Manny Malhotra would be a big deal in Fremont that's for sure.

Last edited by ChompChomp: 09-05-2009 at 04:53 AM.
ChompChomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2009, 10:39 AM
vatali
Life Long Slacker

He was the face of the kids club here in STL and is very nice off the ice with doing things in the community. But, like Tyson Nash before him, I HATED seeing him on the ice because it meant the puck was not going in.

vatali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2009, 11:03 AM
nuck
Axis of Evil

Quote:
Every vet they bring in reduces the chance of a minor leaguer wasting a roster spot. The extra competition can only help, as long as they are lucky enough to select the best ones. And more cheap guys in the system gives insurance that they can keep roster spots filled with limited cap space. Remember the first thing they need to accomplish is to start the season with a group of guys that can play in this league aside from their high end core talent. They have reached that without exceeding the cap or dealing Marleau or Cheech.

I don't think they are done making moves but right now they don't have a gun to their heads like some clubs and can go well into the season looking for the right deal to improve the club. I still think Cheech is gone but if he starts the season hot and they think the 06-07 guy is back their outlook and options are suddenly much different.

I am not a big Hinote fan but he isn't that old and has never played a game in the minors. If he can still bring his Colorado best they will be happy they brought him in. A 15 point year isn't much but when a guy does it with 10 minutes of icetime and plays well without the puck it is pretty solid production.

nuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2009, 11:44 AM
TheGooooch
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Not surprised.

I think that this is fine. A healthy combination of youth and veterans fighting for the bottom positions will be good IMO.

TheGooooch is offline   Reply With Quote