HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Goalie Dan Cloutier will try out with Red Wings

Old
09-14-2009, 09:33 AM
67coach

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetterberg40 View Post
I really hope this is a joke post because this is horrible. Howard's had his chances? What are you talking about? He has played 9 games in the NHL and he has had his chances? What a joke. Nill and Holland both said that Howard was the best goalie at least years camp (Nill even said this outloud at the Hockeyfest 2 weeks ago) but it just didnt work out because they didnt want to expose Conklin and wanted Howard to keep developing.

Honestly, im willing to bet everything i own on that fact youve never seen the kid play outside of the NHL 9 game stint. Its annoying when people post he's had his chances and its amounted to 9 total games. The kid is only 25. Go look at how many other star goalies there are they didnt break out till 25+. Im not saying the kid will be a star, no one can ever say a kid will be a star. But give him atlesast A FULL SEASON before you go throwing out that kind of comment.

I have watched Jimmy play for the last three years, he is a great guy and of course Nill and Holland are going to praise him, they have nobody else. Why did we go out and sign Conklyn if Howard was the best goalie at training camp???

Howard has played great in GR and given his team an opportunity to win games but so did Legace, right up to the point where it mattered.

In his 9 games in Detroit he has ONE win (Count them, ONE) and has a 3.1 GAA in his starts with a .880 save Pct.

I just think that giving someone else an opprtunity to make your team better is a smart thing to do

67coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2009, 11:22 AM
SirKillalot

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67coach View Post
In his 9 games in Detroit he has ONE win (Count them, ONE) and has a 3.1 GAA in his starts with a .880 save Pct.
The defensive play in most of these games has been absolute horrible.

SirKillalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 02:00 AM
AgentNaslund*

How's Dan Cloutier doing at the Wings training camp so far?

thanks in advance.

AgentNaslund* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 04:57 AM
Filppula
Jurks

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirKillalot View Post
The defensive play in most of these games has been absolute horrible.
Exactly, seems like every time he's got a call-up the team's been badly hit by injuries and is in poor form. He's had a few good stints, last years one game didn't help those career stats, otherwise he's been fine.

Filppula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 08:15 AM
tylerbear*

Should be interesting to see what happens with this.

tylerbear* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 08:54 AM
solo16

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentNaslund View Post
How's Dan Cloutier doing at the Wings training camp so far?

thanks in advance.
Holland gave an interview either yesterday or the day before.

Holland said he is playing good but not good enough to earn a spot on the team so far...

Holland said if he makes it he will be our 3rd goalie and the deal will be two way. Essentially an insurance policy. It seems he is not in the running for the backup spot merely a chance to take it should the goalies flounder during the season.

solo16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 09:29 AM
zecke26

Quote:
Originally Posted by solo16 View Post
Holland gave an interview either yesterday or the day before.
or in the news today:

http://www.freep.com/article/2009091...381/1053/rss17

zecke26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 09:49 AM
solo16

Quote:
Originally Posted by zecke26 View Post
Ya but only the interview had the "good but not good enough so far" quote.

I do think we end up signing him but I found it interesting just the same.

Old
09-16-2009, 07:13 PM
Kiddington
heehats

Cloutier will probably get a contract from the Wings (I can't imagine why he wouldn't; he'll come cheaply, and be on a more flexible two-way deal), and be the backup in GR. If something should happen to Howard or Osgood, injury wise, than he'll probably be called up as the backup in Detroit. I would imagine they'll want to have Larsson play as many games as possible in GR next season, so Cloutier would get the first call.

As for Jordan Pearce, he'll probably end up in Toledo to start, if Cloutier is signed.

Kiddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 12:38 PM
zecke26

Quote:
General manager Ken Holland is considering offering Cloutier a two-way contract but would need to find a minor-league team for him because he will not play in Detroit. The Red Wings are set with Jimmy Howard as their backup and that's not going to change going into the season.

Cloutier might end up playing in Europe.
http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index....o_play_in.html

Old
09-19-2009, 01:00 PM
Fugu

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by zecke26 View Post
I wonder why they're being so nice?

Guilt over the trauma caused by Lidstrom?

Old
09-19-2009, 01:45 PM
Kiddington
heehats

What do they mean "find a minor league team for him"? Does this mean he's loaned out to the AHL team most desperate for a goalie?

I guess I forgot about McCollum before (he can't go back to the OHL; I hadn't realized he'd already played four seasons of junior hockey)... in that case, Cloutier really doesn't have a spot with any organization affiliated with the Wings, except maybe Toledo, and I'm sure (disagree or not) that he feels he's better than an ECHL goaltender.

My assumption now is that he doesn't sign, although it is interesting that they actually do plan on giving him a start or two in the pre-season (when it sounded like before they weren't).

Kiddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 01:49 PM
SirKillalot

I say ship him off to Modo in SEL. They really don't have a first goalie.

SirKillalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 02:03 PM
FissionFire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
I wonder why they're being so nice?

Guilt over the trauma caused by Lidstrom?
Goalie is the one position we don't have any veteran depth at. Osgood has been prone to lingering injuries the last couple years and if he went down for a significant amount of time I don't think Holland and Babcock would be too comfortable with Jimmy Howard as their most experienced goalie. Larsson, Howard, McCollum all have potential but an Osgood injury forces the team right now to trade for a vet. Signing Cloutier at least gives them that veteran, playoff-tested depth goalie they can rely on. He's a "known" commodity and likely to be less prone to up-and-down play that the youngsters would be.

That's my theory at least.

FissionFire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 02:03 PM
solo16

I personally think we sign him... But if larsson keeps up the strong play we probably wont even bother.

He has one use to this franchise. Should Osgood get injured and or Jimmy struggles it would be nice to have a Veteran who can play strongly and win games behind this team.

Larsson is making a decent push that he may already be good enough of a backup plan.

Old
09-19-2009, 02:12 PM
zecke26

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvobodaMT View Post
What do they mean "find a minor league team for him"? Does this mean he's loaned out to the AHL team most desperate for a goalie?
yep. larsson/mccollum/pearce are set for GR and toledo. but holland would tp add cloutier as depth. i don't really see a AHL team in need for a goalie though. maybe a BU, but even that i doubt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirKillalot View Post
I say ship him off to Modo in SEL. They really don't have a first goalie.
way too risky. i think cloutier will have a hard time finding a team in europe. he's not only unproven in europe, he also didn't play for a while. if modo adds a goalie, i bet it will be someone who played last season and had good stats.
i could see cloutier getting a 2nd-tier job somewhere. maybe in germany. he's only 33. if he's serious about continuing his career, he could sign with a 2nd-tier team and work himself up. a good season would guarantee him a better contract with a elite team.

Old
09-19-2009, 02:13 PM
FissionFire

Larsson faded in the second half and badly down the stretch last season. His stamina over the longer NHL haul is definitely still a question. I don't think the team will be comfortable relying on him until he proves he can keep his level of play up over an entire season. It's not uncommon for goalies to need a little extra time to adjust to the longer schedules.

Old
09-19-2009, 03:32 PM
jaster
I pay off the mods.

It seemed to me that the concussion slowed Larsson down more than hitting a wall. His numbers dropped off immediately after getting his bell rung.

jaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 06:19 PM
FissionFire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaster View Post
It seemed to me that the concussion slowed Larsson down more than hitting a wall. His numbers dropped off immediately after getting his bell rung.
That's possible, but are you willing to risk the season on that if Osgood gets hurt? What if he isn't ready for an 82 game + playoff schedule physically?

Old
09-19-2009, 07:44 PM
JarkkoRuutu

Quote:
Originally Posted by FissionFire View Post
Goalie is the one position we don't have any veteran depth at. Osgood has been prone to lingering injuries the last couple years and if he went down for a significant amount of time I don't think Holland and Babcock would be too comfortable with Jimmy Howard as their most experienced goalie. Larsson, Howard, McCollum all have potential but an Osgood injury forces the team right now to trade for a vet. Signing Cloutier at least gives them that veteran, playoff-tested depth goalie they can rely on. He's a "known" commodity and likely to be less prone to up-and-down play that the youngsters would be.

Playoff-tested and failed, I believe he has the worst playoff stats of any modern-era NHL goalie. I honestly think that the Red Wings would be better off with a shooter tutor in net over Cloutier.

JarkkoRuutu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 07:53 PM
Balls Mahoney
Real Rock N Rolla

Cloutier actually had flashes of brilliance towards the end of his playoff career believe it or not. He was looking real good against the Flames in his last series with the Nucks before god decided once again to flick the ears of the Nuck faithful and Cloutier got injured in Game 3.

Balls Mahoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 08:49 PM
jaster
I pay off the mods.

Quote:
That's possible, but are you willing to risk the season on that if Osgood gets hurt? What if he isn't ready for an 82 game + playoff schedule physically?
You mean in regards to Cloutier possibly entering the organization? I'm perfectly comfortable with Larsson being 3rd on the depth chart this year, and possibly getting a call-up if Osgood or Howard suffer a minor injury. I don't think Cloutier is a solution to any problem the Wings could potentially have. If something happens to Osgood and he goes down for the year, you pick up another goalie at the deadline. Dan Cloutier is not the answer.

jaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 09:42 PM
JarkkoRuutu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balls Mahoney View Post
Cloutier actually had flashes of brilliance towards the end of his playoff career believe it or not. He was looking real good against the Flames in his last series with the Nucks before god decided once again to flick the ears of the Nuck faithful and Cloutier got injured in Game 3.
I do remember being amazed at the two good games he had against Calgary. I don't know, that's not enough to make up for his previous chokes, I just assume that had he not been injured he would've managed to choke in that series also I guess we'll never know for sure though.

JarkkoRuutu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 10:01 PM
cantskate

Quote:
Originally Posted by JarkkoRuutu View Post
Playoff-tested and failed, I believe he has the worst playoff stats of any modern-era NHL goalie. I honestly think that the Red Wings would be better off with a shooter tutor in net over Cloutier.
I rarely can score on the shooter-tutor.

cantskate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 10:28 PM
detredWINgs

Quote:

I guess I'm out of the loop, because I hadn't heard that they were considering loaning him out after signing him to a two-way contract. If thats the case, then I have to agree with your theory. Theres no reason not to sign Cloutier to such a deal, should he agree. Win-win situation for the Wings in the event of serious injuries to Osgood.

detredWINgs is offline   Reply With Quote