HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hd Tv

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-04-2009, 10:03 PM
  #1
I am the Liquor
Registered User
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,284
vCash: 7000
Hd Tv

Ok kiddies. I am going to be making the jump to this century by getting a new TV. I was thinking about a 32" LCD HDTV preferably 120Hz along with a pvr HD receiver. Any suggestions or help you can give me would be appreciated as I am a techno retard and I am sure the salesmen will see me coming and give me the treatment, if you know what I mean. Any input would be helpful. Thanks.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 10:11 PM
  #2
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle
 
smackdaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,798
vCash: 500
42+, highest HZ rating you can get and LCD.

That's my suggestion anyway. Make sure it's 1080p

smackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 10:16 PM
  #3
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 36,653
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Ok kiddies. I am going to be making the jump to this century by getting a new TV. I was thinking about a 32" LCD HDTV preferably 120Hz along with a pvr HD receiver. Any suggestions or help you can give me would be appreciated as I am a techno retard and I am sure the salesmen will see me coming and give me the treatment, if you know what I mean. Any input would be helpful. Thanks.
I'm no expert on this myself but I know enough to know if you're making the HDTV leap go big or go home..

If you bought a 32 inch you would likely want bigger in a short period of time.

Replacement is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 10:17 PM
  #4
The Head Crusher
Moderator
 
The Head Crusher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,990
vCash: 18821
Send a message via MSN to The Head Crusher
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Ok kiddies. I am going to be making the jump to this century by getting a new TV. I was thinking about a 32" LCD HDTV preferably 120Hz along with a pvr HD receiver. Any suggestions or help you can give me would be appreciated as I am a techno retard and I am sure the salesmen will see me coming and give me the treatment, if you know what I mean. Any input would be helpful. Thanks.
Depends on how much you wnt to spend. If your not looking to spend alot of money I saw this deal in a flyer in the journal yesterday.

http://www2.visions.ca/catalogue/cat...nuLevel=%27%27

__________________
The Head Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 10:33 PM
  #5
I am the Liquor
Registered User
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,284
vCash: 7000
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
42+, highest HZ rating you can get and LCD.

That's my suggestion anyway. Make sure it's 1080p
I was thinking of getting it for my bedroom and I thought 32" might be a good size. Now I am wondering if I should just get a big one for the basement. The big ones can get pricey. I am so greedy.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 10:35 PM
  #6
Giant Moo
Registered User
 
Giant Moo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,110
vCash: 500
Check out Consumer Reports before you buy. They have lots of reviews and lots of information about buying HDTVs.

Giant Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 10:37 PM
  #7
nabob
Hall for captain
 
nabob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: HF boards
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,035
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
42+, highest HZ rating you can get and LCD.

That's my suggestion anyway. Make sure it's 1080p
240Hz and 480 Hz may be undoable if your price range isn't in the $3xxx range

I bought a 47" LG 1080p 120Hz LCD at Future shop this spring. I bought it in one of those TV package deals that includes a home theater in a box. But instead of getting the weak LG 5 disc DVD player home theater package that sold for $599 at the time I was able to upgrade to a hardon/karmon home theater system that was on sale. All together it cost less than $2000, and when you throw the PS3 and HD Bell PVR into the system it is worth every $0.01

The Bell HD PVR is a lifesaver if you work long hours or have kids or if you a a woman that likes to watch lots of TV as well. If you are a new Bell subscriber it is $299 but if you are upgrading your Bell to a HD PVR they give you $150 off and some programming credits if you buy it through Bell over the phone, but do not give you the discount if you order it online.

And like Replacement said a 32" widescreen is pretty small once you hook it up.

nabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 10:43 PM
  #8
I am the Liquor
Registered User
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,284
vCash: 7000
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabob View Post
240Hz and 480 Hz may be undoable if your price range isn't in the $3xxx range

I bought a 47" LG 1080p 120Hz LCD at Future shop this spring. I bought it in one of those TV package deals that includes a home theater in a box. But instead of getting the weak LG 5 disc DVD player home theater package that sold for $599 at the time I was able to upgrade to a hardon/karmon home theater system that was on sale. All together it cost less than $2000, and when you throw the PS3 and HD Bell PVR into the system it is worth every $0.01

The Bell HD PVR is a lifesaver if you work long hours or have kids or if you a a woman that likes to watch lots of TV as well. If you are a new Bell subscriber it is $299 but if you are upgrading your Bell to a HD PVR they give you $150 off and some programming credits if you buy it through Bell over the phone, but do not give you the discount if you order it online.

And like Replacement said a 32" widescreen is pretty small once you hook it up.
Thanks. I havent even heard of 480Hz yet! I see the HD pvr receivers in the store are $500. If I can save some dough like you say (I am a Bell subscriber) that would be awesome. Thanks for the help.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 10:52 PM
  #9
nabob
Hall for captain
 
nabob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: HF boards
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,035
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Thanks. I havent even heard of 480Hz yet! I see the HD pvr receivers in the store are $500. If I can save some dough like you say (I am a Bell subscriber) that would be awesome. Thanks for the help.

480hz
http://www.lgphilips-lcd.com/homeCon...&languageSec=E

I am sure that if you dont ask for it you may not get the deal but I made a stink on the phone about how new subscribers get great deals and I a long time subscriber was getting jack. In the end I got a better deal than a new subscriber would get.

nabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 10:57 PM
  #10
dawgbone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,104
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
42+, highest HZ rating you can get and LCD.

That's my suggestion anyway. Make sure it's 1080p
At 42" you'd need to have the eyes of an eagle to tell the difference between 1080p, 1080i and 720p, especially at recommended viewing distances.

__________________
TheSpecialist - MacT thinks he was that good of a hockey player when in actuality he was no better then a Louie Debrusk.
dawgbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 11:00 PM
  #11
oilfansixtynine
schulebsyakhallnuge
 
oilfansixtynine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: bla bla land
Country: Canada
Posts: 625
vCash: 793
Send a message via MSN to oilfansixtynine
go to best buy or futureshop, talk to one of the reps and look at the tv's yourself, find the design/style/size you want and buy it...they'lle also have hd pvr receivers for bell/SC/shaw. get your hdmi cables/wall mount bracket/accessories at monoprice.com for a fraction of the price as you would around here..

my two and a half cents..

I beleive best buy is commission free.. they're not pushy


Last edited by oilfansixtynine: 09-04-2009 at 11:14 PM.
oilfansixtynine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 11:03 PM
  #12
nabob
Hall for captain
 
nabob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: HF boards
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,035
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone View Post
At 42" you'd need to have the eyes of an eagle to tell the difference between 1080p, 1080i and 720p, especially at recommended viewing distances.
Screen size Viewing distance range
26" 3.25 - 5.5 feet
32" 4.0 - 6.66 feet
37" 4.63 - 7.71 feet
40" 5.0 - 8.33 feet
42" 5.25 - 8.75 feet
46" 5.75 - 9.5 feet
50" 6.25 - 10.5 feet
52" 6.5 - 10.8 feet
55" 6.9 - 11.5 feet
58" 7.25 - 12 feet
65" 8.13 - 13.5 feet

for those who care

nabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 11:04 PM
  #13
madmutter
I heff to be med
 
madmutter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 329
vCash: 500
32" is too small. Bear in mind that a 40" wide screen that is cropped to watch something that is 4:3 (old standard) is the same as watching an old style 32" tv.

madmutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 11:07 PM
  #14
oilfansixtynine
schulebsyakhallnuge
 
oilfansixtynine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: bla bla land
Country: Canada
Posts: 625
vCash: 793
Send a message via MSN to oilfansixtynine
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Thanks. I havent even heard of 480Hz yet! I see the HD pvr receivers in the store are $500. If I can save some dough like you say (I am a Bell subscriber) that would be awesome. Thanks for the help.
you can pick up a bell 6131 or 6141 for under $200, and buy a usb external harddrive for under $100.

you'lle have to make sure you have both satellites coming into your house if you want hd, you might have to buy an upgrade kit if you dont.

oilfansixtynine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 11:08 PM
  #15
oilfansixtynine
schulebsyakhallnuge
 
oilfansixtynine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: bla bla land
Country: Canada
Posts: 625
vCash: 793
Send a message via MSN to oilfansixtynine
32 inch is fine for a bedroom..

oilfansixtynine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 11:09 PM
  #16
Usual_Suspect
Registered User
 
Usual_Suspect's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: 3 hours South
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,819
vCash: 500
Plasma TV's = 600Hz

If you are getting a larger TV consider a Plasma.

PVR's:
-If you are saving HD programs, your PVR will fill quickly.
- Bell's PVR is expandable, you can buy a 1TB hard drive and attach it to let you download 10X the space that you have on the PVR
- Shaw's PVR just got a firmware update last week. There is a lot of speculation that it will be expandable by the end of Sept.
http://www.digitalhome.ca/content/view/3982/279/


Cable's & mounts:
Try Costco. Their HDMI cables are pretty inexpensive.

***Do not buy expensive HDMI cables. There is no difference between these and less expensive HDMI cables


Last edited by Usual_Suspect: 09-04-2009 at 11:25 PM.
Usual_Suspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 11:10 PM
  #17
nabob
Hall for captain
 
nabob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: HF boards
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,035
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilfansixtynine View Post
go to best buy or futureshop, talk to one of the reps and look at the tv's yourself, find the design/style/size you want and buy it...they'lle also have hd pvr receivers for bell/SC/shaw. get your hdmi cables/wall mount bracket/accessories at monoprice.com for a fraction of the price as you would around here..

my two and a half cents..


I bought all my cables from there and it cost less than 1 cable at future shop or best buy even after shipping costs. They also have things like longer charging cables for PS3 controllers (15ft for like $2) and i pod stuff.

when ordering make sure you know how long of a cable you need beacause a 3' HDMI cable is really only like 2.5' when you include the plugs and ferrite cores.

nabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 11:24 PM
  #18
Ol' Jase
PLAYOFFS??
 
Ol' Jase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,751
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Ok kiddies. I am going to be making the jump to this century by getting a new TV. I was thinking about a 32" LCD HDTV preferably 120Hz along with a pvr HD receiver. Any suggestions or help you can give me would be appreciated as I am a techno retard and I am sure the salesmen will see me coming and give me the treatment, if you know what I mean. Any input would be helpful. Thanks.
What part of town do you live in?

Ol' Jase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 11:25 PM
  #19
I am the Liquor
Registered User
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,284
vCash: 7000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Jase View Post
What part of town do you live in?
The hood.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 11:28 PM
  #20
VelvetJones
Registered User
 
VelvetJones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,416
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
The hood.
Millwoods....noooooo

VelvetJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 11:36 PM
  #21
Ol' Jase
PLAYOFFS??
 
Ol' Jase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,751
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
The hood.
Go to Visions on the Southside, as you can negotiate the price better there than anywhere else. (Trust me, I worked in the industry for 10+ years). Do searches on the Future Shop and Best Buy websites so you know what sort of pricing each different model will have and take notes (i.e. Model numbers, features, etc.).

Stick to Sony, Samsung, Toshiba or Hitachi. LG is OK, but if you go that route, stick to the top models in the size class. Try to avoid entry level models at all costs. The higher the numbers in the model number are, usually the better the TV.

I would also stick to 120Hz. Yes, there are higher, but 120Hz technology is now third generation, and less likely to have bugs to iron out. A 46', 120Hz, 1080P TV is all you'll every need, and going higher than that can sometimes bring out too many flaws in conventional programming. Remember, not everything is HD yet.

PM me with any questions or if want me to recommend some models to look at.

Ol' Jase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 11:38 PM
  #22
I am the Liquor
Registered User
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,284
vCash: 7000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Jase View Post
Go to Visions on the Southside, as you can negotiate the price better there than anywhere else. (Trust me, I worked in the industry for 10+ years). Do searches on the Future Shop and Best Buy websites so you know what sort of pricing each different model will have and take notes (i.e. Model numbers, features, etc.).

Stick to Sony, Samsung, Toshiba or Hitachi. LG is OK, but if you go that route, stick to the top models in the size class. Try to avoid entry level models at all costs. The higher the numbers in the model number are, usually the better the TV.

I would also stick to 120Hz. Yes, there are higher, but 120Hz technology is now third generation, and less likely to have bugs to iron out. A 46', 120Hz, 1080P TV is all you'll every need, and going higher than that can sometimes bring out too many flaws in conventional programming. Remember, not everything is HD yet.

PM me with any questions or if want me to recommend some models to look at.
Thanks for the help.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 11:39 PM
  #23
nabob
Hall for captain
 
nabob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: HF boards
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,035
vCash: 500
Visions is usually very good with their prices, even if it is not on sale at the time they will usually give you a sales type price and will not pressure you or try to go all geeky and try to pressure you into spending more than you wanted to.

nabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 11:39 PM
  #24
Usual_Suspect
Registered User
 
Usual_Suspect's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: 3 hours South
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,819
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Jase View Post
Go to Visions on the Southside, as you can negotiate the price better there than anywhere else. (Trust me, I worked in the industry for 10+ years). Do searches on the Future Shop and Best Buy websites so you know what sort of pricing each different model will have and take notes (i.e. Model numbers, features, etc.).

Stick to Sony, Samsung, Toshiba or Hitachi. LG is OK, but if you go that route, stick to the top models in the size class. Try to avoid entry level models at all costs. The higher the numbers in the model number are, usually the better the TV.

I would also stick to 120Hz. Yes, there are higher, but 120Hz technology is now third generation, and less likely to have bugs to iron out. A 46', 120Hz, 1080P TV is all you'll every need, and going higher than that can sometimes bring out too many flaws in conventional programming. Remember, not everything is HD yet.

PM me with any questions or if want me to recommend some models to look at.
Sharp should be included in the top 3 of LCD's to consider.

Usual_Suspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 11:45 PM
  #25
Ol' Jase
PLAYOFFS??
 
Ol' Jase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,751
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Thanks for the help.
One more thing, the perfect days to by are the 14th and the end of the month. Those are payroll cutoff days, so salesguys are more likely to drop their pants to earn you business. The end of the month is best as everyone is looking to hit monthly quotas.

As well, contrary to what you may have heard, BUY THE PROTECTON PLAN. It could save you a huge amount of grief (the vendor is much more likely to replace an LCD TV than pay for a major repair) and it covers in-house service, so you're not driving you TV around town if it needs a repair. Keep in mind the bulb in the TV will not be covered, but you should expect your first bulb to last about 3,000-4,000 hours, and your first replacement bulb should last about 10,000.

Hope this helps.

Ol' Jase is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:39 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.