HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hd Tv

Old
09-04-2009, 11:46 PM
Ol' Jase
PLAYOFFS??

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Usual_Suspect View Post
Sharp should be included in the top 3 of LCD's to consider.
Absolutely. An omission on my part.

Ol' Jase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 11:46 PM
Usual_Suspect

Home Theatre Optimization DVDs:
http://www.cnet.com/1990-7874_1-5108543-2.htm

Usual_Suspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 11:49 PM
Usual_Suspect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Jase View Post
One more thing, the perfect days to by are the 14th and the end of the month. Those are payroll cutoff days, so salesguys are more likely to drop their pants to earn you business. The end of the month is best as everyone is looking to hit monthly quotas.

As well, contrary to what you may have heard, BUY THE PROTECTON PLAN. It could save you a huge amount of grief (the vendor is much more likely to replace an LCD TV than pay for a major repair) and it covers in-house service, so you're not driving you TV around town if it needs a repair. Keep in mind the bulb in the TV will not be covered, but you should expect your first bulb to last about 3,000-4,000 hours, and your first replacement bulb should last about 10,000.

Hope this helps.
If you do want a protection plan you can negotiate the cost as well.

Old
09-04-2009, 11:50 PM
Ol' Jase
PLAYOFFS??

Quote:
Home Theatre Optimization DVDs:
http://www.cnet.com/1990-7874_1-5108543-2.htm
More great advice, this will change your viewing experience.

Just stay away from anything with the Monster name on it.

Old
09-04-2009, 11:52 PM
Ol' Jase
PLAYOFFS??

Quote:
If you do want a protection plan you can negotiate the cost as well.
Unless it's changed since I worked there, the plan price was fixed, but they will do a bit better on the TV price if you're interested in the Plan.

Old
09-05-2009, 12:10 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Wow. Just wanted to say great advice for all us HDTV noobs.

Great thread.

If anybody is familiar with buying HDTV's from Costco how would you rank their selection? Pricing?

Although this thread is definitely leaning me to Visions.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2009, 12:17 AM
Usual_Suspect

Quote:
Unless it's changed since I worked there, the plan price was fixed, but they will do a bit better on the TV price if you're interested in the Plan.
Thanks for catching that. I misspoke.

I meant to say the total price of the plan + TV can be negotiated.

Old
09-05-2009, 12:17 AM
Ol' Jase
PLAYOFFS??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post

Great thread.

If anybody is familiar with buying HDTV's from Costco how would you rank their selection? Pricing?

Nothing wrong with Costco for the smaller TV's (say a 32" or smaller) but I would go to a Visions for sure for anything larger.

Again, the key is to avoid the entry level model in each size group, and Costco specializes in selling this exact product.

Old
09-05-2009, 12:18 AM
JBell84

Quote:

Great thread.

Costco's selling point used to be their return policy (ie, smash it with a hammer and drag it behind your car - still acceptable). They tightened the leash quite a bit now, I think it's 3 months or something. Basically, it's only worth going there if they happen to have something that has caught your eye. I'd go to visions to pick something out (with viewing distance/lighting conditions, etc in mind) and see if costco carries it. Every now and then they have something worth while - if you're really on a budget and don't mind shaving off a few specs, they have quite a few TV/stand bundles too, last I checked. A lot of people overlook the TV stand when they're shopping, they can be absolute robbery.

If you go in there to do your filtering, you're severely limiting yourself.

JBell84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2009, 12:24 AM
Usual_Suspect

cnet currently has 2 Panasonics, 2 Samsungs and an LG in their top 5:

http://reviews.cnet.com/best-hdtvs/

Old
09-05-2009, 12:24 AM
Usual_Suspect

Plasma vs. LCD
http://www.cnet.com/1990-7874_1-5108443-2.html

Old
09-05-2009, 12:28 AM
Ol' Jase
PLAYOFFS??

Quote:
cnet currently has 2 Panasonics, 2 Samsungs and an LG in their top 5:

http://reviews.cnet.com/best-hdtvs/
I'd always be weary about buying a plasma, but that's just my personal preference. Yes, they are a bit better in quality, but they can be a service nightmare.

Old
09-05-2009, 12:30 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Nothing wrong with Costco for the smaller TV's (say a 32" or smaller) but I would go to a Visions for sure for anything larger.

Again, the key is to avoid the entry level model in each size group, and Costco specializes in selling this exact product.
You've convinced me. Thanks again for the particulars on day of month etc to go in.
Good to have some insider info.

I caught your comment on monster. Junk or just due to it being overpriced?
looks like I could save a bundle on all of the connections needed from what I've read here.

Costco has been underwhelming in electronics lately I notice. Not really their forte.

Old
09-05-2009, 12:31 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBell84 View Post
Costco's selling point used to be their return policy (ie, smash it with a hammer and drag it behind your car - still acceptable). They tightened the leash quite a bit now, I think it's 3 months or something. Basically, it's only worth going there if they happen to have something that has caught your eye. I'd go to visions to pick something out (with viewing distance/lighting conditions, etc in mind) and see if costco carries it. Every now and then they have something worth while - if you're really on a budget and don't mind shaving off a few specs, they have quite a few TV/stand bundles too, last I checked. A lot of people overlook the TV stand when they're shopping, they can be absolute robbery.

If you go in there to do your filtering, you're severely limiting yourself.
Yep. for electronics Costco has really gone downhill. Pricing not too attractive either.
The return policy changes I've noted as well. One year used to be nice and friendly.

Old
09-05-2009, 12:33 AM
Usual_Suspect

Quote:
You've convinced me. Thanks again for the particulars on day of month etc to go in.

looks like I could save a bundle on all of the connections needed from what I've read here.

Costco has been underwhelming in electronics lately I notice. Not really their forte.
I believe Monster to just be overpriced.

As I mentioned earlier, Costco is still a good place to go for cables etc.

Old
09-05-2009, 12:35 AM
Ol' Jase
PLAYOFFS??

Quote:

Unless, you are buying the cheapest cables available, there is no noticeable difference in cables between manufactures. Costco is just fine for any needed accessories.

Monster could be the biggest retail scam I've ever seen. $250 for a cable?!? Not in my lifetime.

As a tip, the DVD set-up discs can sometimes be found at a library. They can be pricey ($70-$80).

Old
09-05-2009, 12:35 AM
Usual_Suspect

Quote:
Yep. for electronics Costco has really gone downhill. Pricing not too attractive either.
The return policy changes I've noted as well. One year used to be nice and friendly.
Most TVs will come with a 1 year manufacturers warranty anyways. It's just was easier to take it back and get a new one. Costco's policy is still pretty good. You can't take a TV back to FS or BB on a whim after 3 months either.

Old
09-05-2009, 12:43 AM
JBell84

Quote:
Most TVs will come with a 1 year manufacturers warranty anyways. It's just was easier to take it back and get a new one. Costco's policy is still pretty good. You can't take a TV back to FS or BB on a whim after 3 months either.
I knew people that used to upgrade their computers every year by returning old and buying new, hassle / question free. It used to be downright ridiculous the things you could get away with at costco. They're still the most lenient, but it honestly used to be worth buying there just for the option to take something back 2-3 years later receipt free and walk away without eating 3 years of wear, tear, and inflation on your investment. Now they just don't have the options to justify shopping there unless you're okay with a little compromising.

JBell84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2009, 01:01 AM
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

FWIW I have a 32'' which I play my PS3 on and watch some movies. It's fine for my purposes. I don't see the point of a huge MFer unless you plan on sitting in front of it for large portions of your life.

But if you have extra money to burn on a big one, then by all means.

For the bedroom, 32'' would be just fine.

SeriousBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2009, 01:12 AM
Usual_Suspect

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousBusiness View Post
For the bedroom, 32'' would be just fine.

Old
09-05-2009, 01:19 AM
Fender

I would recommend a Sharp LCD. I bought a 46" a couple of years ago and it is awesome. I also have a Panasonic 50" DLP that's about 5 years old, and the Sharp destroys it. Not too abreast about who's pimping the best LCD nowadays, but Sharp was the winner hands down when I was doing my homework for my last purchase.

And for the guys mentioning monoprice.com, I definitely recommend them. Sure it may take a week or so to get your stuff up here in the great white north, but it is worth it! An HDMI cable from them is basically a buck a foot, and they work great. Monster can suck it!!!!! I also purchased some wall speaker mounts from them for $4.50 a pair. Most big box stores wanted $50-70 for a pair...HUGE difference for a 7.1 system.

Fender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2009, 01:23 AM
Giant Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilfansixtynine View Post
I beleive best buy is commission free.. they're not pushy
In my experience, Best Buy doesn't hire for quality when it comes to their staff.

Giant Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2009, 01:31 AM
mcote97

Look into a plasma, I was watching a lcd mounted on the wall at a pub and from the angle the table was located it looked like I was watching a game of Blades of Steel on the nintendo, I have a plasma and you don't get that effect from different angles in your room. And if you watch mythbusters, they determined there is no difference in cables from the dollar store variety compared to the $50 cables they will push on you at the store you buy from (look into Sears). Also pvr will change your tv watching life, you will never go back!

mcote97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2009, 02:04 AM
Toydarian

I used to work for a company that installed Home Theater systems and I ran my own truck so I consider myself to be experienced with the technical shiz set up.

Here are some things that might be helpful, interesting, extra information:

LCD vs. Plasma. (Pros and Cons)

LCD
- Light (meaning weight)
- Good for rooms that have a lot of natural light, minimal glare
- More variety
- Personal recommendation, I like LCDs more

Plasma
- Great for Home theatre rooms that are DARK.
- Pioneer make some of the best TVs and are AWESOME but are lots of $$$.
- Are heavier than LCDs
- Plasma burn has been Ďexterminatedí from Plasmas so donít worry about that

HD

I will start of by saying the HD TV is ONLY 1 portion of actually getting HD, the TV similar to a computer monitor is only capable of displaying HD not producing it.

1080p, 1080i, 720p are all forms of HD the number refers to the lines of resolution horizontally across the screen (similar to pixels but are lines not squares)

the p means progressive meaning all 1080 lines display at the same time
i means interlaced, meaning all the odd lines are displayed first then the even.
It is debatable if you can actually see the difference of i vs p.

Smaller TVs (less than 40") 720p and 1080p you will not be able to tell the difference which is why smaller TVs rarely come in 1080p so if your looking for a 32Ē donít worry if its 720p you wont be able to tell the difference.

HD TV is broadcasted in 1080i; Blu-ray is true 1080p.

You need 3 things for HD.
1. a TV that can display it
2. a source that can send it (HD PVR or box, Blu-ray, PS3[the best Blu-ray player])
3. The one thing people seem to NEVER know about is the HD CABLE. The only HD cable capable of sending 1080p is an HDMI cable, they are lots of $$$ but they are a must (DONíT CHEAP out on them spend between $60 - $100 on each)

TV brand
Actual brands I wonít comment on itís mostly what you like and I donít want to say a brand isnít any good in case someone has it. Myself I have a Samsung.

Home theater system

If you want a home theatre system, a home theatre in a box (HTB) are fine for a small front room but if you looking for a solid good home theatre get a separate receiver and speakers (This route is more $ but it will be a better system) Im mostly familiar with Onkyo and Harman-Kardon receivers make sure you get one that is UP converting (makes non-HD things like DVD players become 1080i)

There more I could go on about but what I have mentioned is the most import so hopefully you find this useful.

Toydarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2009, 02:11 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 210
Thank you.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote