HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Hd Tv

Old
09-05-2009, 11:54 AM
Usual_Suspect

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourier View Post
This is not the best list! You will have a very difficult time trying to find many that would put the Panasonic Plasmas above the Pioneer Signature\Elite or their KRP 500M (the KRP 500M is not available in Canada).

For anyone in the market for a great TV, Pioneer has slashed their prices on their Singature Elite Plasmas. The 50" model can be found for $2700-3000, which while pricey is actually an incedible deal for what is likely the best TV ever made. These panels are reported to have part of Pioneer's 10th generation technology included in them. Be aware though that this is a monitor, so it doesn not have a tuner or speakers. Your cable box acts as the tuner and any HT in a box would be a far better sound option than any TV's speakers anyway.
I agree that Pioneer are the best HDTVs. Cnet did too.

Link:
"Pioneer's Kuro Elite: Best flat-panel HDTV ever"
http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10054347-1.html

This is from the same author of the top 5 list that I posted earlier.

The only thing that I can suggest is that as Pioneer is no longer producing new TVs, they are not reviewing them anymore.

All of the TVs on that current top5 list were given a 4 star "Excellent" rating. The Pioneer PRO-111FD was given a 4.5 star "Outstanding" rating.

I agree with Fourier and Zaphod42 that if you can get a Pioneer at a reasonable price that is the best way to go.

Last edited by Usual_Suspect: 09-05-2009 at 01:29 PM.
Usual_Suspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2009, 11:56 AM
Usual_Suspect

Quote:
Originally Posted by DousedInOil View Post
Make sure it has a good refresh rate or else it doesn't matter how good the graphics are.
For those wondering, refresh rate is determined by the Hz which has been mentioned throughout this thread.

Old
09-05-2009, 11:59 AM
Fourier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerfan_55 View Post
I would wait until boxing day. It seems like new technology is coming out that will replace the LCD models out now (LED I think?) You should be able to find some good deals on LCD's, as they try to clear out stock, and make way for the new stuff...
LED has been out for quite a while. Technically, these are LCD TV's. What is different is that LED's are used fpor the backlight over other flourescent sources. This does have some advantages, particularly wrt to potential blacklevel and in improving viewing angles. There could be a color accuracy advantage in future generations but not right now. LED's consume more pwer than traditional LCD's and at this point there is a fair cost premium.

The new technology that you may be thinking of is OLED or organic LED. Sony has a working model

http://www.sonystyle.ca/commerce/ser...ionPath=n32050

but at $2K for an 11" TV we are a fair way from mainstream.

Fourier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2009, 12:05 PM
Usual_Suspect

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
It seems that Plasma has a better picture than LCD and costs less. I am wondering why they seem to be fading out of the picture? Are there reliability issues? Which of the two are more reliable? Can a Plasma be fixed?
Here's a good article about Plasma vs. LCD.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/content/view/1961/206/
http://www.digitalhome.ca/content/view/1961/206/1/1/

Quote:
Summary
At Digital Home, we believe that for HDTV’s 42” and larger, plasma televisions are superior to LCD flat panels for five reasons: superior colour reproduction, superior black levels, superior viewing angles, improved clarity and lower cost.

Digital Home also believes that common reasons for not buying plasma, such as the fear of burn-in, are false and should be ignored.

Old
09-05-2009, 12:17 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usual_Suspect View Post
So I would guess from a consumer pricing pov plasma is the better buy right now provided you get a reasonable deal.

A few questions though if anybody has time.

Whats the chance of plasma going betamax soon, i.e. discontinued, no parts, etc?

What are the respective weight differences or is it similar. Say for a 42inch or larger?

How much power difference are we talking about?

In a basement rec room with complete dark capability is plasma the better way to go for picture? (My viewing would be straight on and not much angle)

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2009, 01:24 PM
Fourier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
So I would guess from a consumer pricing pov plasma is the better buy right now provided you get a reasonable deal.

A few questions though if anybody has time.

Whats the chance of plasma going betamax soon, i.e. discontinued, no parts, etc?

What are the respective weight differences or is it similar. Say for a 42inch or larger?

How much power difference are we talking about?

In a basement rec room with complete dark capability is plasma the better way to go for picture? (My viewing would be straight on and not much angle)

Unlike VHS vs Beta, plasma and LCD will both display the same material so consumers do not really have to worry about one winning over the other. Plasma may die out but that should not be an issue. Pioneer is exiting the display market but they are committed to serrvicing their plasmas for at least seven years. By that time there is no way that it would make sense to fix any defective TV. Panasonic and Samsung have both made significant investment in the PDP area, with Panasonic buying a fair bit of Pioneers technology. Both are committed to plasma for the time being. At this point there is not killer app on the near horizon to end the plasma

Plasma is heavier than a similar sized LCD (30%) and it does use about 30% more power than LCD for TV's of the same size, though both figures will vary with different models being compared.

Much of this is personal choice. As I have said, I am a strong believer in plasma, particularly for sports. Panasonic in particular has some great plasmas at a very competitive price.

For what you describe, your romm may also be a candidate for a front projector at some point. Once you go that way you may never want to go back.

Old
09-05-2009, 01:44 PM
BandwagonBasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Jase View Post
More great advice, this will change your viewing experience.

Just stay away from anything with the Monster name on it.
^^ THIS!
It absolutely blows my mind that people pay for Monster branded accessories. This may be news to some of you but when it comes to cables like optical and hdmi, you do NOT need a brand name. Anything from www.monoprice.com will save you a LOT of money. What you are looking for in a HDMI cable is a gold connector that fits snugly. Newer HDMI standards have been announced, so make sure you get cable rate 1.3 or higher for futureproofing.
Another thing that should be noted here, at Visions if you buy their extended plan for anything and don't ever have to use it during the course of the plan, they refund you the full price in the form of store credit. Stay away from best buy and future shop, unless you know exactly what model you want, they have no idea about any of those tv's and they have them very poorly setup with contrast and lighting jacked all the way up.
Lastly, when you are deciding which TV you want, don't get hung up on numbers like the contrast ratio (this is horsecrap) every manufacturer uses a different standard to calculate this number. The ultimate judge is your eyeballs. Pick the one that looks the best to you, and make sure it is passing the video signal via component or hdmi, and make sure the source material being viewed is Blu-ray, dvd, HDcable/sattelite. I am somewhat of a homer for Samsung's as they have been my primary display for a number of years, but LG's quality has greatly improved this year and Sharp's are also very nice. You also should consider that most tn panels are made by the same company so quality should'nt vary too much within the same price range. Your mileage may vary.

**edit I see that I offered some information that several posters had already pointed out. -1 for redundancy.

BandwagonBasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2009, 02:51 PM
oilfansixtynine
schulebsyakhallnuge

vCash: 793
Send a message via MSN to oilfansixtynine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Moo View Post
In my experience, Best Buy doesn't hire for quality when it comes to their staff.
You dont have to talk to anyone, you can just look at the tv's and price.

I havent been to visions for a long time so I cant vouch for them, perhaps they are better now but 10 years ago I found them a little pushy.

Not sure if they're still around or not, but i use to despise going into international stereo.

I have a 60" sony lcd in my living room, a 32 sony lcd in my bedroom, and a 46" sharp aquos in my basement. all of which I have bouight in the last year and a half. The sharp i like the best fwiw.

oilfansixtynine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2009, 03:14 PM
The Dayvan Cowboy
Registered Genius

As someone who owns four HDTVs and on top of that has seen alot of others, my favorite is by far the Panasonic Plasma. Plasma is far and away the best TV for sports. It's only downfall is that it has to be in a room with little to no natural light.

The Dayvan Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2009, 03:19 PM
oilfansixtynine
schulebsyakhallnuge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod42 View Post
No not all HDMI cables Support 1080p. The company I used to work for (along with all the other large Electronics stores) sell cheaper HDMI that do not support 1080p, I know with 100% accuracy that is the case.

I said the programs on TV I saw did not test 1080p, but I installed hundreds of TVs and saw the 1080p vs. 1080i on TVs as large as 65" and projectors even bigger. I noticed a difference but what I am saying is some people dont see a difference which is why it is debatable, not saying that it is the same. I for one consider 1080p superior to 1080i but from experience some people did not notice a difference. that is all I am saying, some people cant tell.

To say I was inexperienced on the things I was installing is quite unfair.
The only difference between this $255 20'HDMI cable;

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...10127262&catid=

and this $23 20' HDMI cable;

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

is the first one you have to bend over before they give it to you..

Old
09-05-2009, 03:29 PM
Schitzo

I know it's been mentioned already, but if you've waited this long to make the move to HDTV, boxing day is less than four months away.

And now that most of the big stores do their sales online, you don't even have to stand in the cold!

Schitzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2009, 04:22 PM
Giant Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilfansixtynine View Post
The only difference between this $255 20'HDMI cable;

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...10127262&catid=

and this $23 20' HDMI cable;

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

is the first one you have to bend over before they give it to you..
If you haven't seen CBC Marketplace's report Packing The Deal, check it out. You'll love seeing the Future Shop salespeople claiming that the Monster cables make the digital signal "cleaner".

Giant Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2009, 08:33 PM
oilfansixtynine
schulebsyakhallnuge

Quote:
If you haven't seen CBC Marketplace's report Packing The Deal, check it out. You'll love seeing the Future Shop salespeople claiming that the Monster cables make the digital signal "cleaner".
haha, the monster power surge protector cleans the power better....

Old
09-05-2009, 09:19 PM
Giggli G

http://www.monoprice.com

Trust me. Digital cables do not vary in how they pass the signal unless they are broken.

Also, I buy all my TV's from Visions, because with an AUPE membership card you get corporate pricing.

Samsung is the top-end for LCD's, Panasonic is the new top-end for Plasmas. I couldn't get a plasma because they are not bright enough for me in most living rooms. Keep in mind that black levels wash out on Plasmas when their screens are hit with external light. They are only the best in dimmed rooms with no large windows. Plasmas do have much better motion for sports though, although with the crappy HD feeds Shaw gives it will not help much.

LED currently has a bad price/performance ratio, stick with CCFL unless you are made of money.

120Hz is only really noticeable if you engage dejudder processing, which creates a 'soap opera' effect that really bothers some people. The blur reduction is minimal, because the human eye sees at approximately 60 FPS or a bit higher - that's why all LCDs and TV's were designed with a 60hz refresh rate from the beginning. 240hz and beyond makes almost no difference to the human eye and is primarily a marketing gimmick (unless the dejudder processing has been improved and gotten rid of artifacts).

Native contrast ratio is the single most important determinant of perceived picture quality. Even more important than resolution at most viewing distances. Dynamic contrast ratios are measured differently by many manufacturers and can be used to trick you.

Also, if you are buying a nice TV, it is only fair that you get some decent sound gear. Nothing bothers me more that people who are willing to spend $4000 on a TV but this that a ****** home-theater-in-a-box is a 'great surround sound system'. Check out Axiom and Paradigm if you want to support Canadian speaker manufacturers. Get a pair of quality stereo speakers instead of five little plastic ***** if you are on a budget, you'll thank me later when you expand your nice set into a real system.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask. I like this stuff (have a 52" Samsung B610 in a 650sqft apartment).

Giggli G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2009, 09:39 PM
spyderjam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usual_Suspect View Post
Decent articles, but they are from 2007. things have changed since then such as the viewing angle on LCD.

Motion Smoothing (120Hz and up) is also amazing when you enable it on an LCD. But you do need to get used to it. I have it off when I'm watching regular cable, but on for movies and some games.

spyderjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2009, 09:53 PM
Giant Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggli G View Post
120Hz is only really noticeable if you engage dejudder processing, which creates a 'soap opera' effect that really bothers some people.
I'm one of those people... drives me bonkers!

Old
09-05-2009, 10:11 PM
Giggli G

Quote:
I'm one of those people... drives me bonkers!
Yeah. I like a bit of it. On the new Samsungs you can adjust the dejudder level from 1-10. I keep it on 4 as it smoothes out the motion without making everything look fake and ridiculous.

Giggli G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2009, 10:35 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 5496
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilfansixtynine View Post
haha, the monster power surge protector cleans the power better....
I play guitar and there is such a thing as a power conditioner, which takes the dirty power out of the socket and gives you a steady rate of power as opposed to the fluctuations that come from just plugging straight into the wall. It basically gives you consistent tone and protects expensive amps. The power surge cleaning power is pretty shocking though. Oh. See what I did there?

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2009, 10:40 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 5496
Has anyone heard of Double Diamond electronics? I ran into a guy today who bought a Samsung 40" 650 LCD from them and claimed they were cheaper than the box stores. He said he paid 1700 in march. He also bought a sound bar for 2200.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2009, 11:04 PM
Giant Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggli G View Post
Yeah. I like a bit of it. On the new Samsungs you can adjust the dejudder level from 1-10. I keep it on 4 as it smoothes out the motion without making everything look fake and ridiculous.
First saw it on my girlfriend's new HDTV when we rented Dark Knight. Had to turn it off after 10-15 minutes. Made it unwatchable IMO.

Old
09-05-2009, 11:14 PM
Kotton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schitzo View Post
I know it's been mentioned already, but if you've waited this long to make the move to HDTV, boxing day is less than four months away.

And now that most of the big stores do their sales online, you don't even have to stand in the cold!
I second this. That cash may be burning a hole in your pocket, and you will miss half the season by waiting, but for me buying this tv http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-PN50B6.../dp/B001W6NU9E plus a pretty tight glass stand for 900 dollars on boxing day, well I would recommend that route to you if you have a tight budget and/or you are a cheapskate.

There seems to be quite a bit of talk about LCDs over Plasmas these days. I can tell you that my 50 inch plasma gets extremely warm and boy do you ever notice it in the summer, however; if you enjoy watching sports or movies and your a freak about contrast and black levels a plasma will blow your pantalonas off, especially if your coming from a standard def TV. Don't worry about the burn either, its never been an issue for me.

Kotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2009, 01:43 AM
mbam99

Send a message via MSN to mbam99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discipline View Post
As someone who owns four HDTVs and on top of that has seen alot of others, my favorite is by far the Panasonic Plasma. Plasma is far and away the best TV for sports. It's only downfall is that it has to be in a room with little to no natural light.
+1

I have a 58" panasonic plasma in the basement theater room and a 42" panasonic plasma upstairs.
If I needed a 3rd, I would no doubt buy another panasonic plasma.

mbam99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2009, 06:45 AM
Fourier

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Has anyone heard of Double Diamond electronics? I ran into a guy today who bought a Samsung 40" 650 LCD from them and claimed they were cheaper than the box stores. He said he paid 1700 in march. He also bought a sound bar for 2200.
There was a similar thread a while back and a few posters gave positive comments about thme. I don't know anything about them personally, but they have a solid product line (the JVC front projectors are wonderful btw).

Personally, I like to buy from these smaller places. I find them much easier to work with than the big box stores. Moreover, you can very often get better prices than the box stores. Just be sure that they are an authorized dealer for the product you want to buy. My guess would be that for Double Diamond Electronics this will be the case, but you should check it out.

If you have some time go there for a visit. They carry the brands you would likely want to consider (outside of Pioneer) and the chances are that the person you speak to will know much more than the sale rep at BB or FS. If you are staright with them these small places will usually be willing to give you a decent price. But what ticks them off is if they think you are just using them for a quote so you can run over to FS for a price match.

Old
09-06-2009, 07:56 AM
Tyrolean

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBell84 View Post
I knew people that used to upgrade their computers every year by returning old and buying new, hassle / question free. It used to be downright ridiculous the things you could get away with at costco. They're still the most lenient, but it honestly used to be worth buying there just for the option to take something back 2-3 years later receipt free and walk away without eating 3 years of wear, tear, and inflation on your investment. Now they just don't have the options to justify shopping there unless you're okay with a little compromising.
Well some people have not ethical what can you say.

Tyrolean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2009, 08:12 AM
Oilerdiehard

I have had my 50" Panasonic Plasma for a couple years now. I am still loving it. Sorry I did not get all tech-y here but I just thought I would pass along I am still very happy with this purchase.

Oilerdiehard is offline   Reply With Quote