HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hd Tv

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-06-2009, 08:36 AM
  #101
Tyrolean
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Country: Austria
Posts: 6,200
vCash: 500
From reading all these posts, I am inclined to go LCD for at least 46 inches. I am going to watch in my family room which is semi-bright, so Plasma is out of the question.

When I look at the TV's I don't noticed much difference at all amongst the top brands. My old 32 inch tube TV is fine for now and I was waiting for it to break down (I had it for 10 years) then I would be forced to buy a flat screen TV. BTW are old tube TVs trash now (ie. no value for trade in etc.)?

If there is a sale or at Boxing Day, maybe buy one, but then I have to buy a Shaw HD box and cables etc. The reason I am not in a rush is that I don't have a need for one as I don't play games and regular TV is good enough for me.

Also, once Shaw has a PVR that give me more than 25 hours of Program storage or can use an 1 TB external hard drive then I may get a Flat Panel TV. I heard they are going to do it soon?

Tyrolean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2009, 09:43 AM
  #102
Louis Cypher
Registered User
 
Louis Cypher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 655
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourier View Post
Not to be argumentative, but Sharp is not the best brand for LCD's at this time. They have lost a lot of ground recently. Sony's XBR Series for absolute pq and Samsung for value are dominating the LCD world. (Again, I own an older Sharp so I am not saying this out of spite towards the brand). But what is true is that all of these TV's are actually very good, so there is really no way to go too far wrong.
I have a Samsung as well its a great TV and yes it was cheaper but no comparison to the Sharp overall. Sony is excellent but way over priced IMO.

Louis Cypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2009, 09:46 AM
  #103
Fourier
Registered User
 
Fourier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Waterloo Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,711
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrolean View Post
From reading all these posts, I am inclined to go LCD for at least 46 inches. I am going to watch in my family room which is semi-bright, so Plasma is out of the question.

When I look at the TV's I don't noticed much difference at all amongst the top brands. My old 32 inch tube TV is fine for now and I was waiting for it to break down (I had it for 10 years) then I would be forced to buy a flat screen TV. BTW are old tube TVs trash now (ie. no value for trade in etc.)?

If there is a sale or at Boxing Day, maybe buy one, but then I have to buy a Shaw HD box and cables etc. The reason I am not in a rush is that I don't have a need for one as I don't play games and regular TV is good enough for me.

Also, once Shaw has a PVR that give me more than 25 hours of Program storage or can use an 1 TB external hard drive then I may get a Flat Panel TV. I heard they are going to do it soon?
The issue of plasmas in a bright room is often over blown. It is true that they are at their best with less light, but todays plasmas are very good at dealing with light issues. So unless you are expecting to watch most of your programing with light shining directly on the screen< I would not rule out plasma.

BTW, once you get use to watching sports in HD on a bigger screen there is a very good chance you will wonder how you ever managed with your old tv.

Fourier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2009, 10:23 AM
  #104
Schitzo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,617
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourier View Post
BTW, once you get use to watching sports in HD on a bigger screen there is a very good chance you will wonder how you ever managed with your old tv.
Not to mention you'll curse Sportsnet and their firstborn children every time they show an Oilers game in nothing but SD.


Schitzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2009, 10:29 AM
  #105
Tyrolean
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Country: Austria
Posts: 6,200
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourier View Post
The issue of plasmas in a bright room is often over blown. It is true that they are at their best with less light, but today's plasmas are very good at dealing with light issues. So unless you are expecting to watch most of your programing with light shining directly on the screen< I would not rule out plasma.

BTW, once you get use to watching sports in HD on a bigger screen there is a very good chance you will wonder how you ever managed with your old tv.
You are probably right. Once one gets a taste of the new technology you never want to go back to the old. It's like going from cassette to DVD disks or DVD to hard drives.

It is best to buy at the late end of a maturity cycle if there ever is one. You are always behind once you buy any electronic stuff.
One of the reasons I held off is there wasn't that much HD source and you can't copy Blu-Ray to disk to save favourite shows.

Can someone tell me if flat screens have matured enough to be affordable (value) and also incorporate everything you will ever need? Also can one get Pioneers Kuro's in Canada? Yea I know they are Plasmas).


Last edited by Tyrolean: 09-06-2009 at 10:35 AM.
Tyrolean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2009, 10:42 AM
  #106
JBell84
Registered User
 
JBell84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: CGY-body, EDM-spirit
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,655
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrolean View Post
You are probably right. Once one gets a taste of the new technology you never want to go back to the old. It's like going from cassette to DVD disks or DVD to hard drives.

It is best to buy at the late end of a maturity cycle if there ever is one. You are always behind once you buy any electronic stuff.
One of the reasons I held off is there wasn't that much HD source and you can't copy Blu-Ray to disk to save favourite shows.

Can someone tell me if Flat screens have matured enough to be affordable (value) and also incorporate everything you will ever need?
I'm telling you right now, I had qualms about upgrading my home theater when I was looking into it, but it changes the way you enjoy entertainment at home. I had trouble justifying the expense until I realized just how much time I spent using it during the NHL season alone... blu ray and HD discovery / national geographic are more entertaining than the movie theater if you have the right setup, especially if you spend some money on a proper sound system (no package deals, get a cheap receiver and some proper, legit speakers during boxing day.. the best time to do it as long as you don't mind a year old model)

If you're hardcore into watching the Oilers, 60-80 games a year turns the tv into a very reasonable investment in a matter of 2-3 years.

JBell84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2009, 11:29 AM
  #107
Fourier
Registered User
 
Fourier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Waterloo Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,711
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrolean View Post
You are probably right. Once one gets a taste of the new technology you never want to go back to the old. It's like going from cassette to DVD disks or DVD to hard drives.

It is best to buy at the late end of a maturity cycle if there ever is one. You are always behind once you buy any electronic stuff.
One of the reasons I held off is there wasn't that much HD source and you can't copy Blu-Ray to disk to save favourite shows.

Can someone tell me if flat screens have matured enough to be affordable (value) and also incorporate everything you will ever need? Also can one get Pioneers Kuro's in Canada? Yea I know they are Plasmas).
Flat panels are a very mature electronic item. Cost to quality is much better than for CRT's. I bought a top of the line Sony XBR 52" RPTV in 1997 for about $5200. At the time it was the besst TV available by far. It still works but would be blown away by a $1K plasma even with standard definition material.

It is often a good idea value-wise to buy at the end of a product cycle, especially if you can get a good close-out deal on a model that is only being improved slightly. But this maxim is not always true. The new model of Pioneer plasmas were released at a great price. The quote I got on an Elite Pro 151 at release was several hunderd dollars less than I had seen the Pro 150, the previous generation going for even near the end.

Finally, as far as Kuro's are concerned, yes the are available. You will have a hard time finding the non-elites. Particularly, the 50in 5020. FS still has the 60in 6020 on their website but their price is ridiculus at $5999. You can certainly get an Elite Pro 151 for lees than this and you could find the Signature Elite 141 for about $1K less.

The best deal going right now for the Pio's is the Signature Elite 101, which is arguably the best display ever made. You can find these now for $2600-2800, but you will need a sound system (recommended anyway) since this is a monitor.

I don't know of all of the Elite dealres in Edmonton but there should be several. (Audio Ark carried the Elites last year, but I don't know if they still do).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis Cypher View Post
I have a Samsung as well its a great TV and yes it was cheaper but no comparison to the Sharp overall. Sony is excellent but way over priced IMO.
I agree that Sony is pricey. However, their XBR line is the top banana as far as LCD's is concerned. That said, if I was going to buy an lcd and did not want to shell out for an XBR, I would still look to Samsung.

Fourier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2009, 11:48 AM
  #108
The Dayvan Cowboy
Registered Genius
 
The Dayvan Cowboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,708
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schitzo View Post
Not to mention you'll curse Sportsnet and their firstborn children every time they show an Oilers game in nothing but SD.

It is true.

The Dayvan Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2009, 12:27 PM
  #109
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 36,468
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourier View Post
Unlike VHS vs Beta, plasma and LCD will both display the same material so consumers do not really have to worry about one winning over the other. Plasma may die out but that should not be an issue. Pioneer is exiting the display market but they are committed to serrvicing their plasmas for at least seven years. By that time there is no way that it would make sense to fix any defective TV. Panasonic and Samsung have both made significant investment in the PDP area, with Panasonic buying a fair bit of Pioneers technology. Both are committed to plasma for the time being. At this point there is not killer app on the near horizon to end the plasma

Plasma is heavier than a similar sized LCD (30%) and it does use about 30% more power than LCD for TV's of the same size, though both figures will vary with different models being compared.

Much of this is personal choice. As I have said, I am a strong believer in plasma, particularly for sports. Panasonic in particular has some great plasmas at a very competitive price.

For what you describe, your romm may also be a candidate for a front projector at some point. Once you go that way you may never want to go back.
Thanks Fourier.

All of our watching would be in our downstairs rec room that can be pitchblack(no windows) and I can turn up the surround system. Virtually no subwoofer leak from our basement. (consideration for the neighbors)

Personally I've always enjoyed watching TV, movies in relative dark.

I've thought about the front projector as well as we have a lot of space in the room. Only trouble is the cost of bulbs which go out quicker on the projectors and limitations in the size of screen. I need a screen unless I plan on redoing the projection wall.

Which leads me to other questions like what size projection would one get for say each 10ft of projection distance? Or how large can the projected HDTV image be before it starts looking blurry?

Currently I have a 36inch TV and we watch it cross room from about 12 feet away, alternately I could aim a projector at an end wall and get a much longer distance of projection.

It would be cool to have a 10 foot image at home. It might make some of the Oiler forwards look bigger..

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2009, 06:08 PM
  #110
Fourier
Registered User
 
Fourier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Waterloo Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,711
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Thanks Fourier.

All of our watching would be in our downstairs rec room that can be pitchblack(no windows) and I can turn up the surround system. Virtually no subwoofer leak from our basement. (consideration for the neighbors)

Personally I've always enjoyed watching TV, movies in relative dark.

I've thought about the front projector as well as we have a lot of space in the room. Only trouble is the cost of bulbs which go out quicker on the projectors and limitations in the size of screen. I need a screen unless I plan on redoing the projection wall.

Which leads me to other questions like what size projection would one get for say each 10ft of projection distance? Or how large can the projected HDTV image be before it starts looking blurry?

Currently I have a 36inch TV and we watch it cross room from about 12 feet away, alternately I could aim a projector at an end wall and get a much longer distance of projection.

It would be cool to have a 10 foot image at home. It might make some of the Oiler forwards look bigger..
I love watching hockey on my projector. HD at 130" looks very good and I have an older Epson 720p projector. For standard def games I would usually use the zoom function to shrink the screen to about 110-100in.

I set my projector up while I was doing a reno. I was going to get either a Stewart Studiotek or Dalite High Power screen once the reno was done but things went bad and it dragged on for nearly two years. In the meantime, I got very use to using a painted wall as my screen. My wife, who is an excellent painter did a great job on the wall, so well it may not be absolutely optimal, I am still using the wall mostly because my wife does not want the picture size to be decreased!

The issue of bulb life is there but it is less of a factor than one might think. These days many manufacturers provide a second buld for free with your purchase. Of course, nothing is really for free, but with the amount that pj's have dropped it sure feels like it is free. For example, Epson has a mount and a free bulb in there
PowerLite Pro Cinema 1080 UB which retails for $4200, though you can get it for much less and you can also get a $300 rebate from Epson Canada. This is a very very good projector. Much better than my model which I paid $5300 for. The lamps are also cheaper and more efficient now. This lamp is about $350 while mine is about $500 to replace. I have had my pj for 5 years and I am still on the same lamp. I don't use it for regular TV much as I have that covered. I watch movies on it and about 1/3 of the oiler games. With similar use you would be set for years with two bulbs (3000-6000 hrs) unless you had very bad luck.

Other pj's to consider are from JVC (beuatiful), Sony and Panasonic. All of these have great pictures. Here are two sites to look at.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/?styleid=18

(Check out the screen section for DYI info and for good inexpensive screens from Carada and other maufacturer.)

http://www.projectorreviews.com/

Fourier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2009, 08:51 AM
  #111
rookie boy
Registered User
 
rookie boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 327
vCash: 500
Warning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourier View Post

Other pj's to consider are from JVC (beuatiful), Sony and Panasonic. All of these have great pictures. Here are two sites to look at.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/?styleid=18

(Check out the screen section for DYI info and for good inexpensive screens from Carada and other maufacturer.)

http://www.projectorreviews.com/
Gentlemen, I must warn you about avsforum. As I've related in the past to Fourier, I did a simple search on that forum for my 42" Sony LCD Bravia, and I was hit by a virus, which two years later manifested into this:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ibrary+theater

Recently the virus has acted up again, and the treatment is planning for theater 2.0 for a home we are planning two years from now.

If a person has never really checked into front projection, it's easy, looks fantastic, and is actually in the realm of being affordable. I am helping a buddy do his basement, and I can't believe how much prices have fallen since I finished mine less than two years ago.

Anyway, warning about avsforum, you may be entering a site that will not let you out of it's grip!!

Jason

rookie boy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2009, 11:44 AM
  #112
Fourier
Registered User
 
Fourier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Waterloo Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,711
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rookie boy View Post
Gentlemen, I must warn you about avsforum. As I've related in the past to Fourier, I did a simple search on that forum for my 42" Sony LCD Bravia, and I was hit by a virus, which two years later manifested into this:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ibrary+theater

Recently the virus has acted up again, and the treatment is planning for theater 2.0 for a home we are planning two years from now.

If a person has never really checked into front projection, it's easy, looks fantastic, and is actually in the realm of being affordable. I am helping a buddy do his basement, and I can't believe how much prices have fallen since I finished mine less than two years ago.

Anyway, warning about avsforum, you may be entering a site that will not let you out of it's grip!!

Jason
Beautifully done!!! And I agree that once one ventures over to AVS it could be all over.

Fourier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2009, 11:45 AM
  #113
Harrison
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,828
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourier View Post
The issue of plasmas in a bright room is often over blown. It is true that they are at their best with less light, but todays plasmas are very good at dealing with light issues. So unless you are expecting to watch most of your programing with light shining directly on the screen< I would not rule out plasma.

BTW, once you get use to watching sports in HD on a bigger screen there is a very good chance you will wonder how you ever managed with your old tv.
I have a 42" Plasma and I have no issues with light or sun. If I had an LCD I would be worried about it.

Harrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2009, 11:49 AM
  #114
I am the Liquor
Registered User
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,276
vCash: 7000
Quote:
Originally Posted by rookie boy View Post
Gentlemen, I must warn you about avsforum. As I've related in the past to Fourier, I did a simple search on that forum for my 42" Sony LCD Bravia, and I was hit by a virus, which two years later manifested into this:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ibrary+theater

Recently the virus has acted up again, and the treatment is planning for theater 2.0 for a home we are planning two years from now.

If a person has never really checked into front projection, it's easy, looks fantastic, and is actually in the realm of being affordable. I am helping a buddy do his basement, and I can't believe how much prices have fallen since I finished mine less than two years ago.

Anyway, warning about avsforum, you may be entering a site that will not let you out of it's grip!!

Jason
What an amazing job! You need to build a toilet into one of the seats though as I dont think I would ever see the light of day if I had a room like that one.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2009, 11:57 AM
  #115
spyderjam
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 66
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
I have a 42" Plasma and I have no issues with light or sun. If I had an LCD I would be worried about it.
Why would you be worried about it if it was LCD? I have an LCD and see no glare at all. I see glare on the outside of the tv, gloss finish, but when it hits the screen there is nothing.
Now when I've been over at a friends house their plasma shows any glare that may be in the room because of the glass.

spyderjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2009, 12:02 PM
  #116
Harrison
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,828
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderjam View Post
Why would you be worried about it if it was LCD? I have an LCD and see no glare at all. I see glare on the outside of the tv, gloss finish, but when it hits the screen there is nothing.
Now when I've been over at a friends house their plasma shows any glare that may be in the room because of the glass.
I happen to have a friend in the TV business (Electronics I should say), He brought over 4 different TV's for me to try in my environment. The best was by far the Plasma I chose. LCD showed numerous problems with my lighting conditions. I have no glare at all on the Plasma. The LCD's I tried showed glare and was much harder to see. The Plasma also gives me a higher quality picture then the LCD's we tried.

Harrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2009, 12:19 PM
  #117
oilfansixtynine
schulebsyakhallnuge
 
oilfansixtynine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: bla bla land
Country: Canada
Posts: 625
vCash: 793
Send a message via MSN to oilfansixtynine
Quote:
Originally Posted by rookie boy View Post
Gentlemen, I must warn you about avsforum. As I've related in the past to Fourier, I did a simple search on that forum for my 42" Sony LCD Bravia, and I was hit by a virus, which two years later manifested into this:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ibrary+theater

Recently the virus has acted up again, and the treatment is planning for theater 2.0 for a home we are planning two years from now.

If a person has never really checked into front projection, it's easy, looks fantastic, and is actually in the realm of being affordable. I am helping a buddy do his basement, and I can't believe how much prices have fallen since I finished mine less than two years ago.

Anyway, warning about avsforum, you may be entering a site that will not let you out of it's grip!!

Jason
awesome job!!!! that ceiling is amazing...

oilfansixtynine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2009, 12:49 PM
  #118
spyderjam
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 66
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
I happen to have a friend in the TV business (Electronics I should say), He brought over 4 different TV's for me to try in my environment. The best was by far the Plasma I chose. LCD showed numerous problems with my lighting conditions. I have no glare at all on the Plasma. The LCD's I tried showed glare and was much harder to see. The Plasma also gives me a higher quality picture then the LCD's we tried.
well I guess we'll agree to disagree

spyderjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2009, 04:11 PM
  #119
I am the Liquor
Registered User
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,276
vCash: 7000
I would like to thank everyone for their help. I sold my soul to Visions and got a Samsung LN40B650 today. It was a little more than I could afford but it is an amazing tv. I got a really good deal too. They threw in a blue ray, wall mount and a cable for zero dollars as well as knocking 200 off the sale price. I got the warranty (didnt want to) and generally I am against those things but with the amount I invested I thought it would be stupid not to. The warranty is refunded in store credit if it is not used as was mentioned earlier. I also asked if it would be voided if I had to use it. It is not, you just lose your store credit if it is used.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2009, 04:32 PM
  #120
Fourier
Registered User
 
Fourier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Waterloo Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,711
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
I would like to thank everyone for their help. I sold my soul to Visions and got a Samsung LN40B650 today. It was a little more than I could afford but it is an amazing tv. I got a really good deal too. They threw in a blue ray, wall mount and a cable for zero dollars as well as knocking 200 off the sale price. I got the warranty (didnt want to) and generally I am against those things but with the amount I invested I thought it would be stupid not to. The warranty is refunded in store credit if it is not used as was mentioned earlier. I also asked if it would be voided if I had to use it. It is not, you just lose your store credit if it is used.
Congratulations. This is a wonderful TV which I am sure you will enjoy!!!

Fourier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2009, 04:53 PM
  #121
nabob
Hall for captain
 
nabob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: HF boards
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,035
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
I would like to thank everyone for their help. I sold my soul to Visions and got a Samsung LN40B650 today. It was a little more than I could afford but it is an amazing tv. I got a really good deal too. They threw in a blue ray, wall mount and a cable for zero dollars as well as knocking 200 off the sale price. I got the warranty (didnt want to) and generally I am against those things but with the amount I invested I thought it would be stupid not to. The warranty is refunded in store credit if it is not used as was mentioned earlier. I also asked if it would be voided if I had to use it. It is not, you just lose your store credit if it is used.
nice buy. Now all you need is the Bell HD PVR and then hockey to start.

As for the warranty, you are right if you use it it is not void but you do not get your money back as a store credit. BTW they count calling them and asking when the warranty is up as using the warranty.

nabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2009, 05:41 PM
  #122
Ol' Jase
PLAYOFFS??
 
Ol' Jase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,750
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
I would like to thank everyone for their help. I sold my soul to Visions and got a Samsung LN40B650 today. It was a little more than I could afford but it is an amazing tv. I got a really good deal too. They threw in a blue ray, wall mount and a cable for zero dollars as well as knocking 200 off the sale price. I got the warranty (didnt want to) and generally I am against those things but with the amount I invested I thought it would be stupid not to. The warranty is refunded in store credit if it is not used as was mentioned earlier. I also asked if it would be voided if I had to use it. It is not, you just lose your store credit if it is used.
Well done. An excellent choice and your first HD Oiler game will be quite an experience. Enjoy.

Ol' Jase is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2009, 06:13 PM
  #123
MeestaDeteta
Registered User
 
MeestaDeteta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Saskazoo
Posts: 7,482
vCash: 139
My thoughts:

Get at least 40" plus.
Unless you're a hardcore TV watcher - the Hz difference isn't huge. Rather get 60hz and use the savings to get a bigger screen.
Samsung and Sony are the best brands IMO.

Edit: didn't see you had bought a TV already - good choice.

MeestaDeteta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2009, 12:16 AM
  #124
The Major
Registered User
 
The Major's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: edm.ab.ca
Country: Canada
Posts: 316
vCash: 500
Congrats on the purchase.

For anyone else who has recently bought a TV or needs new cables, buy from the following website. I was sick of paying the exorbitant costs that Monster charges for their cables, and after some research, came across this site.

www.firefold.com

I bought HDMI cables from here, and can't tell the difference between Monster. I'm no videophile and I'm sure with some of your guys set ups, you might notice some performance differences, but for everyday use in my basement and family room, the cables are great for the price.

The Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2009, 12:33 AM
  #125
Giant Moo
Registered User
 
Giant Moo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,110
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokeyReddick View Post
Congrats on the purchase.

For anyone else who has recently bought a TV or needs new cables, buy from the following website. I was sick of paying the exorbitant costs that Monster charges for their cables, and after some research, came across this site.

www.firefold.com

I bought HDMI cables from here, and can't tell the difference between Monster. I'm no videophile and I'm sure with some of your guys set ups, you might notice some performance differences, but for everyday use in my basement and family room, the cables are great for the price.
Please see my post earlier in the thread that links to the CBC Marketplace episode about Monster cables. HDMI transmits digital data, not analogue data. It either works, or it doesn't. There is no such thing as signal quality with digital signals.

But good on you for not giving Monster the time of day.

Giant Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:58 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.