HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who Should Run the New Arena/ The Phantom Menace

Old
09-05-2009, 02:30 PM
tretiak09*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
Does it really matter with the internet in place?
Yes, of course.

tretiak09* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2009, 03:03 PM
dashingsilverfox*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Vagabond View Post
it is tough imagining lowetide with a job--al;ways viewed him as the guy on white avenue holding the sign "the end is nigh"
He has a job in sales at 1260 IIRC.

dashingsilverfox* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2009, 09:25 AM
GMofOilers

Lots of ideas about this new arena.

Heres the latest
http://www.edmontonjournal.com/trave...541/story.html

GMofOilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2009, 11:40 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilChuck View Post
1260 better not get the Oilers Radio rights.....they cant transmit much outside of 100km around edmonton. Would be a brutal move for the Oilers!
The Oilers were originally on 1260 in the first place. For years.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2009, 11:44 AM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
The Oilers were originally on 1260 in the first place. For years.
Didn't 1260 have better signal in those days? Legitimate question (I honestly can't remember)

hockeyaddict101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2009, 11:57 AM
dashingsilverfox*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyaddict101 View Post
Didn't 1260 have better signal in those days? Legitimate question (I honestly can't remember)
No it was the same. The problem is the 1260 frequency. Radio signals travel further the lower down you go on the AM dial.

Old
09-06-2009, 04:08 PM
nye

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashingsilverfox View Post
Interesting that Katz has bought out Don Metz and Aquila Productions which handled all the Oilers multi media for years.

I'm guessing rumours of Katz buying 1260 might soon come to pass as well as evidenced by Stauffer rejoining the Team.

Yes, I found that to be one of the more interesting things.

Me thinks Mr. Katz is serious about this and is loading up for bear. Edmonton is likely not the limit of what he wants to do.

A competitor for AEG?

nye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2009, 04:10 PM
dashingsilverfox*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nye View Post
Yes, I found that to be one of the more interesting things.

Me thinks Mr. Katz is serious about this and is loading up for bear. Edmonton is likely not the limit of what he wants to do.

A competitor for AEG?
I was thinking exactly the same thing although he has quite a ways to go to reach that scale.

Old
09-06-2009, 05:48 PM
theoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashingsilverfox View Post
I was thinking exactly the same thing although he has quite a ways to go to reach that scale.
But it seems to fit with all the comments from Lowe and Tambellini and Laforge when they were hired or shuffled about the scope and scale of his ambitions.

This is a guy that started by buying one drugstore with his father I believe.

theoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2009, 02:27 PM
onetweasy

Not sure if this is new or old.....but AEG gets the job

Sorry to bump but could not find it posted anywhere else

From Oilers email

KATZ GROUP ENGAGES AEG TO ADVISE ON DEVELOPMENT OF
DOWNTOWN ENTERTAINMENT AND SPORTS DISTRICT

Edmonton, December 3, 2009 – The Katz Group of companies has engaged AEG Development and AEG Facilities to advise on all aspects of the development of a new entertainment and sports district in downtown Edmonton.

AEG Development and AEG Facilities are divisions of AEG (www.aegworldwide.com), one of the world’s leading sports and entertainment companies. In addition to owning and operating a host of sports and entertainment franchises and facilities, AEG is overseeing the final development stages of L.A. LIVE, a 4 million square foot, $2.5 billion sports, residential and entertainment district in downtown Los Angeles adjacent to the company’s STAPLES Center arena. AEG has also been a key player in developing The O2, a 28-acre development in London (UK) which includes a 20,000-seat arena and over 650,000 square feet of leisure, retail, hospitality, exhibition and entertainment facilities.

“AEG is an ideal partner to help us make a new downtown entertainment and sports district a reality for Edmonton,” said Daryl Katz, Chairman of the Katz Group. “They have had great success developing and operating world-class sports and entertainment-based urban revitalization projects. Their experience, relationships and end-to-end development capabilities will be a benefit to the project and the broader community.”

AEG will work closely with Katz Group to further define the project’s scope, programming and development team, and will provide ongoing project management and oversight. AEG’s capabilities include all phases of the development process, including planning, feasibility analysis, entitlements, design, leasing, construction and facility operations.

“We recognize Edmonton’s potential and believe very strongly in the opportunity for a new arena to serve as the cornerstone of a major downtown entertainment district and a revitalized urban core,” said Ted Tanner, Executive Vice President, AEG Worldwide. “We look forward to working closely with the Katz Group, the City of Edmonton and all of the many other stakeholders whose support and involvement will be critical to the success of this very exciting initiative.”

“This new Edmonton project is destined to not only become one of the world’s most unique sports and entertainment destinations but one of the premier projects to revitalize a capitol market’s downtown district,” said Bob Newman, AEG Facilities Chief Operating Officer. “We are honored to have the opportunity to combine the resources and experience of our organization with the assets brought to this project by the Katz Group and all local community stakeholders to create this groundbreaking development. On behalf of AEG, we appreciate your confidence in selecting our company and, ‘we won’t let you down’.”

onetweasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2009, 02:36 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 69
I saw this on tv. Big blow for Northlands.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2009, 02:44 PM
oilmachine

finally, someone in the city that doesnt have the small town mentality,

Good on you katz!

oilmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2009, 02:46 PM
NotBad*

Wow Good for Katz and his buddies

NotBad* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2009, 02:59 PM
SlowFreshOil*

Good. Northlands shouldn't be allowed anywhere near this development.

SlowFreshOil* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2009, 02:59 PM
SlowFreshOil*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotBad View Post
Wow Good for Katz and his buddies
You mean the rest of Edmonton? It's a GREAT thing for the city.

Old
12-03-2009, 03:33 PM
Kentuckycowboy

Wow, good on Katz to do this. I am so sick of this city's small minded people not having any vision to take this city to the next level. I can't wait to see what they come up with.

Kentuckycowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2009, 03:38 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowFreshOil View Post
You mean the rest of Edmonton? It's a GREAT thing for the city.
For the rest of Edmonton? I don't want to start a debate here but I can see a lot of people in Edmonton not giving a flying **** about this project.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2009, 03:41 PM
SlowFreshOil*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
For the rest of Edmonton? I don't want to start a debate here but I can see a lot of people in Edmonton not giving a flying **** about this project.
That's the problem with some Edmontonians right there. It will continue to be known as Deadmonton to the rest of the world.

I don't want to get into a debate either, but if this happens, Edmonton will be better off.

Old
12-03-2009, 03:49 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
That's the problem with some Edmontonians right there. It will continue to be known as Deadmonton to the rest of the world.

I don't want to get into a debate either, but if this happens, Edmonton will be better off.
I am in support of a new arena. but don't try to pretend that it is gonna benefit every Edmontonian. An arena itself will not lift the "deadmonton" status and revitalize this city into world class. Think about it, all the big citites I ahve gone to and have wanted to see. The last thing I am thinking is man if I go to New York I gotta see MSG or if I get a chance to go to Dallas I need to see the Cowboys new stadium.

Old
12-03-2009, 03:50 PM
NotBad*

Quote:
I am in support of a new arena. but don't try to pretend that it is gonna benefit every Edmontonian. An arena itself will not lift the "deadmonton" status and revitalize this city into world class. Think about it, all the big citites I ahve gone to and have wanted to see. The last thing I am thinking is man if I go to New York I gotta see MSG or if I get a chance to go to Dallas I need to see the Cowboys new stadium.
What if the Big Name Concerts come to edmonton?

NotBad* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2009, 03:55 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotBad View Post
What if the Big Name Concerts come to edmonton?
What do you mean big name? U2, The Police, AC/DC, Aerosmith w/ ZZ Top, Kenny Chesney aren't big names?

Please enlighten me on what bands/ artists would now come here because we have a new sweet complex.

Old
12-03-2009, 03:57 PM
SlowFreshOil*

Quote:
It's not just an arena. It's an entertainment facility and district. If people continue to just look at this from a hockey perspective, they'll never understand the vision of the project.

Old
12-03-2009, 04:01 PM
SlowFreshOil*

Quote:
What do you mean big name? U2, The Police, AC/DC, Aerosmith w/ ZZ Top, Kenny Chesney aren't big names?

Please enlighten me on what bands/ artists would now come here because we have a new sweet complex.
Shows are getting bigger and Rexall won't be able to host the many of the shows within two years.

Old
12-03-2009, 04:01 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

The irony as always, in some of the comments is that Edmontonians are "small minded" and progress averse "stuck in 60's" thinking or whatever that means but the crowning achievement in Columbus was only ever had after the populace voted down public funding for the Arena project 5 times.

The public playing hardball is rarely a bad idea and the only way we will minimize public contribution, maximize private contribution, and get better bang for our buck.

As a public we SHOULD be demanding and looking for best possible deal.

Naysaying has its advantages.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2009, 04:03 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
It's not just an arena. It's an entertainment facility and district. If people continue to just look at this from a hockey perspective, they'll never understand the vision of the project.
I understand it and it is a great jumpstart on the revitalization of the city. But that is exactly it. The city will need to keep on building and it looks fairly positive in that respect with the closure of the municipal airport. But this single project alone will not turn Edmonton into a great city, but it is a step in the right direction.