HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

can the leafs score

Old
09-05-2009, 08:29 AM
bullshark

vCash: 500
can the leafs score

I am new to the HF boards, love reading the comments.

I am very frustrated reading reporters comments that the leafs can't and wont score goals. How can professional reporters keep saying this when the leafs issue wasn't scoring? Keeping the puck out of the net was the problem. Is it just me that sees this? I watched almost evey game last year and the leafs scored 3+ goals a game, at least it seemed that way. Sure Antropov and Moore are gone, but that will be a positive IMO as others will have a chance to step up. Poni had 22 points in the final 19 games, once Antropov was moved. I think this team will continue to score this year.

Can someone direct these reporters / bloggers to a stats page?

bullshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2009, 08:38 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullshark View Post
I am new the HF boards, love reading the comments.

I am very frustrated reading reporters comments that the leafs can't and wont score goals. How can professional reporters keep saying this when the leafs issue wasn't scoring? Keeping the puck out of the net was the problem. Is it just me that sees this? I watched almost evey game last year and the leafs scored 3+ goals a game, at least it seemed that way. Sure Antropov and Moore are gone, but that will be a positive IMO as others will have a chane to step up. Poni had 22 points in the final 19games, once Antropov was moved. I think this team will continue to score this year.

Antropov was their best forward, yes. The year before Sundin was.
28 year old Moore had a career year, and had 53 point pace with the Leafs.

Antropov was no surprise, he's a good hockey player.
Moore was given the opportunity and was on a 16 goal pace.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2009, 08:52 AM
burke4life

Quote:

I am very frustrated reading reporters comments that the leafs can't and wont score goals. How can professional reporters keep saying this when the leafs issue wasn't scoring? Keeping the puck out of the net was the problem. Is it just me that sees this? I watched almost evey game last year and the leafs scored 3+ goals a game, at least it seemed that way. Sure Antropov and Moore are gone, but that will be a positive IMO as others will have a chance to step up. Poni had 22 points in the final 19 games, once Antropov was moved. I think this team will continue to score this year.

thats been my philosophy the whole time, i honestly dont believe we will have a problem putting the puck in the net. And with the help of our newly acquired defense, the puck should be in our zone alot less. This can only help the offense to new highs.
But this is only my opinion, no one really know whats going to happen with the leafs this year, they could be dead last or they could be 1st in there division!

....OKAY they cant be 1st in there division but you get the point!

burke4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2009, 09:09 AM
sgupca

We can score,,,,i'm too lazy to look this up but i think we finished between 7th-11th in the league last season with goals scored. We should finish around the same this year. Guys like Garbo and Kulemin are a year older and more developed and their stats should increase.

Our biggest problem really hasn't been scoring over the last two-three years; its been our defense and GGA.

sgupca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2009, 10:33 AM
pulkinator

as a team - the leafs can "score"

individually,

the leafs wont be "scoring" like scorers

pulkinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2009, 11:16 AM
The_Chosen_One

One of the Leafs issues last season was poor conditioning. I wonder how resolving that would influence the output.

The_Chosen_One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2009, 02:31 PM
Cool Beans Man

Really all depends on:

- Grabovski building on last seasons success
- Ponikarovsky playing like he did in the last quarter
- Stajan playing more consistently
- Kulemin breaking out
- Bozak exceeding expectations

These are key to offensive success IMO

Cool Beans Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2009, 02:47 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:

I am very frustrated reading reporters comments that the leafs can't and wont score goals. How can professional reporters keep saying this when the leafs issue wasn't scoring?
RW did not spend much time on a defensive system last year, which gave the guys a bit more free reign offensively. If he has a strong emphasis on defensive hockey this year, they won't score as much.

Last year they started several games down 2-0 due to poor goaltending and they had to open it up. Will that happen this year?

Also consider they have become a tougher team, which often leads to more penalties, and more short handed, lessening the chance to score goals.

While the team scored ok last year, they might be a better team and score less goals. I'm not too worried, but a few guys will have to improve from last year, or at the very least repeat what they did, in order to have a good scoring team.

On the bright side, a confident and healthy Kaberle can add a bunch of goals to the total (as a true set-up defenceman.) and hopefully the emergence of 2-3 young players like Kulemin, Tlusty, Grabs etc.

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2009, 02:53 PM
BleedingBlueAndWhite

Send a message via MSN to BleedingBlueAndWhite
i dont think its if we can score. its if we can play goal. the leafs werent solid in the net last season, and that is our problem. now i think we have a solid net because toskala is healthy, we hope anyway the monster is what everyone claims. like you said, we score usually around 3 goals. which usually is good enough to win you hockey games. our only problem is that, our defence wasnt great and our goaltending sucked. now we have a solid defence, and a decent net so i think we will do fine if we can keep scoring goals.

BleedingBlueAndWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2009, 02:58 PM
Number13

Well we don't have any difference makers when it comes to goal scoring, so I think with this team it will be a lot of one goal games, overtimes and shootouts. It will be scoring by comittee, no 80 point players but more than a few 40-60 point players, which can definitely work just as well.

Number13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2009, 03:02 PM
ugotmybeef*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedingBlueAndWhite View Post
i dont think its if we can score. its if we can play goal. the leafs werent solid in the net last season, and that is our problem. now i think we have a solid net because toskala is healthy, we hope anyway the monster is what everyone claims. like you said, we score usually around 3 goals. which usually is good enough to win you hockey games. our only problem is that, our defence wasnt great and our goaltending sucked. now we have a solid defence, and a decent net so i think we will do fine if we can keep scoring goals.
wrote this in another thread:

Toskala-166 goals against in 53 games
Gerber-38 goals against in 12 games
Joseph-50 goals against in 21 games
Pogge-27 goals against in 7 games

Other than the crap goaltending Joseph and Pogge were giving, is it too hard to believe that goals against can be improved tremendously. Is it hard to believe Gustavsson won't be a substantial upgrade over the likes of Gerber, Pogge or Joseph. Those 3 accounted for 115 goals against. Of course, we have to improve defensively as a group. Toskala has to be better than the pathethic efforts he's given in the past. We have to be stronger on our end with people in front of the net and improve collectively on the PK.

ugotmybeef* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2009, 03:10 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugotmybeef View Post

Other than the crap goaltending Joseph and Pogge were giving, is it too hard to believe that goals against can be improved tremendously. Is it hard to believe Gustavsson won't be a substantial upgrade over the likes of Gerber, Pogge or Joseph. Those 3 accounted for 115 goals against. Of course, we have to improve defensively as a group. Toskala has to be better than the pathethic efforts he's given in the past. We have to be stronger on our end with people in front of the net and improve collectively on the PK.
That's the most positive post I have seen from you in months.

Old
09-05-2009, 03:16 PM
ugotmybeef*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynrehab View Post
That's the most positive post I have seen from you in months.
I want this team built the right way. A young team that keeps improving. Would that translate to wins, who knows. This team needs a young franchise guy to build around. A high pick is needed as I doubt the chances of us drafting one in the later rounds. You may disagree on that point, fine, but looking at free agency to get one isn't the way.

Old
09-05-2009, 03:17 PM
BleedingBlueAndWhite

Send a message via MSN to BleedingBlueAndWhite
yes toskala does need to play better. Toskala is a talented goalie who can play when we wants to, but i think he has 3 big issues that he needs to work on.

Number One:

I think sometimes he tends to play like dominic hasek. flopping around on the ice, and not wanting to get up to make the save. however, hasek was good at this he could make the save. Toskala on the other hand....no. He gambles on shots, and tries to make highlight reel saves, which ends up screwing him over when he lets in the goals.

Number Two:

Toskala is also, wayyy out of position at times. he is on the wrong side of the net, when the shot is coming and he always misses it. the only time he stops it from the opposite side, is when he flashes the leather with his quick glove hand (im guessing he jacks off alot ) and sometimes can get the pad across, but its rare and he always ends up screwing himself.

Number Three

This one isnt his fault, but i think its a problem. Toskala has the skill of a starting goaltender, but he was never used to playing 60+ games like he does in toronto. in San Jose when he looked amazing, he split games with nabokov. with only 20 games difference. i think the one year nabokov had like 50 games and toskala played 33 games or something like that. and he played very well. what i think they should do with the monster is split games like they did in san jose. which is what i think they should have done when it was toskala and raycroft.

thats just my opinion, whether you agree or not. but i think if he can work on this stuff, we can have a solid year in net.........for once.

Quote:

BleedingBlueAndWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2009, 03:17 PM
MeowLeafs
LM is awesome

We finished 10th in scorign last year, right? That's pretty good but I think we might dip down to around 20th. Here is why:

- Leafs played such a wild offensive game last year...this year will be the complete opposite...MUCH more emphasis on defence
- We lost Antropov, Moore, Kubina...all 3 provided mass amounts of points
- I don't believe Blake and Poni will play as good as last year
- Stajan's 2nd half was clearly not as good as his first...bad consistency
- I think Grabo will suffer a sophmore slump...he'll be too cocky, won't like the emphasis on defence, and opponents will target him more this time around.
- I honestly did not really like what I saw of Kulemin..at least not as much as most of you. I know, people here are gonna shoot me, I don't care. If you take away the hype of that great year in Russia, not even half of you will think he's nearly as good as he is now. I realise he's new to the NA game, but still. I'm not saying he won't improve, but I hava a feeling he'll be a 40-50 point guy (later on, not next year) instead of the 70 point guy with great goal scoring that everyone kept sayng.
- We didn't add much in terms of offence this off-season.

Don't get me wrong, I DO think our club as improved, just not offensively. I think our goaltening, while VERY questionable, has nowhere to go then up from last year. Our defence on paper has improved and should limit not only the amount of shots against our goal, but more importantly the QUALITY of those shots. I predict a 2 ranking jump from where we finished last year (10th place in east...not too shabby). Then hopefully a playoff spot after that.

MeowLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2009, 03:20 PM
ugotmybeef*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedingBlueAndWhite View Post
yes toskala does need to play better. Toskala is a talented goalie who can play when we wants to, but i think he has 3 big issues that he needs to work on.

Number One:

I think sometimes he tends to play like dominic hasek. flopping around on the ice, and not wanting to get up to make the save. however, hasek was good at this he could make the save. Toskala on the other hand....no. He gambles on shots, and tries to make highlight reel saves, which ends up screwing him over when he lets in the goals.

Number Two:

Toskala is also, wayyy out of position at times. he is on the wrong side of the net, when the shot is coming and he always misses it. the only time he stops it from the opposite side, is when he flashes the leather with his quick glove hand (im guessing he jacks off alot ) and sometimes can get the pad across, but its rare and he always ends up screwing himself.

Number Three

This one isnt his fault, but i think its a problem. Toskala has the skill of a starting goaltender, but he was never used to playing 60+ games like he does in toronto. in San Jose when he looked amazing, he split games with nabokov. with only 20 games difference. i think the one year nabokov had like 50 games and toskala played 33 games or something like that. and he played very well. what i think they should do with the monster is split games like they did in san jose. which is what i think they should have done when it was toskala and raycroft.

thats just my opinion, whether you agree or not. but i think if he can work on this stuff, we can have a solid year in net.........for once.
I'm not saying Toskala is the answer to anything. Toskala hasn't shown anything to be a good starting goaltender so far in his tenure in Toronto. All he's shown is flashes. I'm not hyping him at all, nor am I saying he's a great goaltender. He's an average goaltender at best. All I'm saying is that goals against can be improved tremendously if the Fin better.

Old
09-05-2009, 04:02 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

When you take a Defense group of Kaberle, Kubina, Schenn, White, Finger, MVR and Stralman and replace it with a defense group of Kaberle, Komisarek, Schenn, Beauchemin, Finger and Exelby ..

You have changed the dynamics of your defense from a puck moving, quick transition, offensively inclined, rush joining unit to one of shot blocking, hard hitting, physical, defensively minded with limited offensive skill and capabilities.

The benefit of this undertaking is that your goalies get the most support and goals against should come down.. The sacrifice though comes at the expense of your offense and that will affect your goals for production and show up most on the stats of your forwards.

I see Goals For dropping from 250 to about 225 next season and a the leagues worst Goals Against also dropping but improving from 293 to 250..

Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2009, 04:25 PM
Slapshot17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
When you take a Defense group of Kaberle, Kubina, Schenn, White, Finger, MVR and Stralman and replace it with a defense group of Kaberle, Komisarek, Schenn, Beauchemin, Finger and Exelby ..
Which is why Ian White needs to be in the lineup instead of Exelby.

Slapshot17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2009, 08:52 PM
Christ

With regards to nearly everything involving the Toronto Maple Leafs, the Toronto media is a joke nowdays. Ignore them and you won't get so riled up about their biased opinions. While you may come across an article from an informed writer once and awhile, it simply is no longer worth the hassle.

The Leafs will have no difficulty scoring goals this comming season despite the lack of a "star" forward. We were ranked 10th in the league last season as far as offense is concerned and the players we dumped (Antropov and Moore) were not even slightly missed after they were traded. Our trouble was last season keeping the puck out of our own net.

We have improved our defense from a defensive standpoint and that should help. To be successful next season the Leafs must hope that Toskala has recovered his old form after his surgery or that Gustavsson is as good as his hype. If either or both of our goaltenders has a strong season we will be in the playoffs come next spring. If not, we will be looking at a long season and another high draft pick.

Christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2009, 09:14 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
I want this team built the right way. A young team that keeps improving. Would that translate to wins, who knows. This team needs a young franchise guy to build around. A high pick is needed as I doubt the chances of us drafting one in the later rounds. You may disagree on that point, fine, but looking at free agency to get one isn't the way.
The only place we differ is in that I don't necessarily believe top talent absolutely has to come from the draft. Kessel to an offer sheet or via trade gets you top talent with very little risk, and gets you that talent for this year, and not hope it develops for 3 years from now.

Old
09-05-2009, 09:15 PM
ugotmybeef*

Quote:
The only place we differ is in that I don't necessarily believe top talent absolutely has to come from the draft. Kessel to an offer sheet or via trade gets you top talent with very little risk, and gets you that talent for this year, and not hope it develops for 3 years from now.
the risk is the value of that 1st round draft choice. Kessel wont' be back until December. If the teams blows because of offence, Boston will get the high pick which could be a better player.

Old
09-05-2009, 09:19 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
the risk is the value of that 1st round draft choice. Kessel wont' be back until December. If the teams blows because of offence, Boston will get the high pick which could be a better player.
I don't think this team is bad enough to be bottom 10 at this point. Add in Kessel for 5 months, and they are minimally a borderline playoff team. Even if that pick is top 5, that player has a long way to go to reach what Kessel has done, and will do.

Old
09-05-2009, 09:26 PM
ugotmybeef*

Quote:
I don't think this team is bad enough to be bottom 10 at this point. Add in Kessel for 5 months, and they are minimally a borderline playoff team. Even if that pick is top 5, that player has a long way to go to reach what Kessel has done, and will do.
considering the last 2 drafts of top 5s, and this year just as deep, you're going to get a player just as good or better.

Old
09-05-2009, 09:33 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
considering the last 2 drafts of top 5s, and this year just as deep, you're going to get a player just as good or better.
What about the 12th or 13th picks? Are they as good as Kessel? I think this team, as is, is good enough to be within reach of the playoffs, and nowhere near the top 5.

Old
09-05-2009, 09:36 PM
ugotmybeef*

Quote:
What about the 12th or 13th picks? Are they as good as Kessel? I think this team, as is, is good enough to be within reach of the playoffs, and nowhere near the top 5.
arent' you the one that said you trust the scouting staff to pick a good player in any round. Your fooling yourself if this team as it is now is good enough to be within reach. Komisareks not here to score 25 goals, Beauchimen? Considering where the Patrick Berglunds, Cody Hodgsons were picked, a good player can be picked.

OFFERSHEETS ARE A GAMBLE. Burke better hope he wins it if he does it.