HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Notices

What is the max offer for Kessel Chiarelli will match?

View Poll Results: What is the maximum cap hit Chiarelli will match (assume 5 year contract)
3.5 12 8.96%
3.75 12 8.96%
4.0 19 14.18%
4.25 19 14.18%
4.5 36 26.87%
4.75 19 14.18%
5.0 11 8.21%
5.25+ 6 4.48%
Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Old
09-06-2009, 07:30 AM
Alan Ryan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hubofhockey View Post
Yes, my gut is, with Oct. 1 fast approaching, that Burke will force the issue.

We know he still wants him (nothing has changed in the Leaf scoring dynamic since late June). We know he has the cap room. Now he has the picks.

I know at least two other clubs are in the mix. Knowing how Burke operates, he sees himself competing with at least three clubs now, including Boston, and he is in a fight for a loose puck.

It is good for Kessel, because he is now guaranteed a huge payday, IMO. Which lessens odds greatly that he will be back in Hub.

- hub
It could be good for GM Chiarelli also if the other two teams step up to trade for Kessel before an offer sheet is tendered. The next few days could be very interesting. A menu full of prospects and picks, plus cap relief.

Alan Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2009, 07:37 AM
Bojakees*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranold26 View Post
Proven 36 goal guy........with Savard at the pivot.
To suggest he is likely going to be a 40-50 goal guy, without such a pivot, is absolutely ludicrous.
Who's even talking about that ???....So I guess by your thinking ANYONE who plays with Savard in his place next year gets forty to fifty ???

You do understand that you have to have the TALENT to be able to put it in the net even with a great center....Right ?

Seems to me Kolvolchuck did fine after Savvy Left ?....Not that Kessel is Kovy...And having the center that can dish like Savvy I admit is important. But that dont make it automatic. At 21 years old scoring 36 goals in a defense first system.....Not to many guys are doing that.

Especially nobody we have after Kessel. truth is we dont even know who plays with Savard. Not a good thing when we should have had a GUNNER that we know had some Chemistry with the guy. Truth is we lose KESSEL and SAVVY becomes less effective cause He does not have that SPECIAL scorer to finish for him.

Bojakees* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2009, 07:54 AM
FutureConsiderations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Ryan View Post
It could be good for GM Chiarelli also if the other two teams step up to trade for Kessel before an offer sheet is tendered. The next few days could be very interesting. A menu full of prospects and picks, plus cap relief.
A first, a second, and a third is a pretty good package, especially when the team is going to be in the top half of the draft.

That being said, it's just a baseline that Chia can go into discussions asking for. A top D prospect and a #1 sounds a lot better than a 1, a 2, and a 3.

FutureConsiderations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2009, 07:57 AM
ranold26
Get off my rink!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KREJCZKY10 View Post
Who's even talking about that ???....
You are. You're suggesting he is 40-50 goal guy.

Quote:
So I guess by your thinking ANYONE who plays with Savard in his place next year gets forty to fifty ???
No, that is your assumption of what I suggested.... but I didn't, nor would I ever suggest whomever plays with Savard is a lock for 40-50 etc.

Quote:
You do understand that you have to have the TALENT to be able to put it in the net even with a great center....Right ?
It isn't always about talent.

Quote:
Seems to me Kolvolchuck did fine after Savvy Left ?....Not that Kessel is Kovy...And having the center that can dish like Savvy I admit is important. But that dont make it automatic. At 21 years old scoring 36 goals in a defense first system.....Not to many guys are doing that.
And Savard did fine after he left Atlanta too. Kovalchuk has been scoring for years..... time will tell regarding Kessel, but if I was a betting man, injuries will hamper his career and if he isn't scoring, he is a liability.

Quote:
Especially nobody we have after Kessel. truth is we dont even know who plays with Savard. Not a good thing when we should have had a GUNNER that we know had some Chemistry with the guy. Truth is we lose KESSEL and SAVVY becomes less effective cause He does not have that SPECIAL scorer to finish for him.
We will survive. The sun will rise tomorrow.
Savard will still be successful, we will still win games.

ranold26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2009, 07:57 AM
FutureConsiderations

One small issue with the article: Kevin Klein was not a first-round pick. 2nd round, 37th overall in 2003.

From what I'm reading, there's a huge dropoff from Wilson to Klein.

Perhaps you were thinking of someone else, Hub? Wilson was drafted in 2008, Klein in 2003. At 24, he seems to have solidified himself as a mid-pairing guy, no?

Would Ellis be off the table for Kessel?

Old
09-06-2009, 08:23 AM
Bruwinz37

I want to vote for the option: Chiarelli will not match any offer for him and will gladly take the picks because that was the plan anyway.

Bruwinz37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2009, 08:27 AM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruwinz37 View Post
I want to vote for the option: Chiarelli will not match any offer for him and will gladly take the picks because that was the plan anyway.
Bingo....But atleast we'll have a bunch of dogs that have fight in 'em...may not be able to score when needed, but we'll get past that..

WBC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2009, 08:39 AM
Bruwinz37

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureConsiderations View Post
One small issue with the article: Kevin Klein was not a first-round pick. 2nd round, 37th overall in 2003.

From what I'm reading, there's a huge dropoff from Wilson to Klein.

Perhaps you were thinking of someone else, Hub? Wilson was drafted in 2008, Klein in 2003. At 24, he seems to have solidified himself as a mid-pairing guy, no?

Would Ellis be off the table for Kessel?
I am a big Ellis fan....just seems like a natural winner to me. A bit undersized but the kid can play.

Would people accept a Ellis & Budish for Kessel deal?

Old
09-06-2009, 08:53 AM
FutureConsiderations

Quote:
I am a big Ellis fan....just seems like a natural winner to me. A bit undersized but the kid can play.

Like I said, I don't know too much about these guys, but Budish sounds like the kind of guy they're looking for and Ellis looks like the type of defenseman their system needs.

HF's talent analysis on Budish sounds great, but they have him as a 7.5D... any insight?

Old
09-06-2009, 08:56 AM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:
I'm voting with you, although I think it was not specifically 'the plan' but 1B with 1A being getting high skilled entry level contract guys who are ready or close to it. That appears to have not worked so the picks for a team that will get their best from the hate factor every night in the division and one that will be hard pressed to make the playoffs.

2010 is considered another stocked draft and the Bruins will take picks and hope Toronto can't put the puck in the ocean and end up in the lottery.

As for Kessel, sad. Everyone wants to feel loved and the Bruins aren't showing any.

DKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2009, 08:58 AM
Bruwinz37

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureConsiderations View Post
Like I said, I don't know too much about these guys, but Budish sounds like the kind of guy they're looking for and Ellis looks like the type of defenseman their system needs.

HF's talent analysis on Budish sounds great, but they have him as a 7.5D... any insight?
I cant make heads or tails out of hockeysfuture's grading system. I am sure question marks are all about the knee injury. Sounds like he has all the tools....will have to see how he does at UMinn.

Old
09-06-2009, 09:02 AM
Bojakees*

[QUOTE=ranold26;20996476]You are. You're suggesting he is 40-50 goal guy.

He is, at 21 having scored 36....He is a LOCK for 40 and will probably hit 50. Most scouts have predicted it for years.

No, that is your assumption of what I suggested.... but I didn't, nor would I ever suggest whomever plays with Savard is a lock for 40-50 etc.

It isn't always about talent.

Really, The names Crosby and Malkin ring a bell ? How about Bossy or Madono, Hull ? Zetterberg or Datsyk ? Please list me all those Stanley Cup winners that dont have Talent guy. Cause I want to see how to win the CUP without it.

And Savard did fine after he left Atlanta too. Kovalchuk has been scoring for years..... time will tell regarding Kessel, but if I was a betting man, injuries will hamper his career and if he isn't scoring, he is a liability.

And if Savard does not have someone to pass to, He is a liability. What good is a PASSER who has no physical presence without a finisher ?

We will survive. The sun will rise tomorrow.

Survive...OH, I thought we were supposed to be playing to win a cup ?

[Savard will still be successful, we will still win games]

OH....Again...I am sorry. I thought the STANLEY CUP was the goal. If you just want us to win a few games I will take that into consideration when I read your posts.

Bojakees* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2009, 09:04 AM
bsfanincuse

Send a message via ICQ to bsfanincuse Send a message via AIM to bsfanincuse
well the 2010 draft is supposed to be deep?? 3 extra picks ???

bsfanincuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2009, 09:59 AM
Saxon Eric

Send a message via AIM to Saxon Eric
Quote:

Can't see them wanting him, do you like Charles Olivier Roussel? I'd take him and Budish

Saxon Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2009, 10:03 AM
Bruwinz37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxon Eric View Post
Can't see them wanting him, do you like Charles Olivier Roussel? I'd take him and Budish
Why do you assume they wouldnt want Ellis? I think COR and Budish would be a massively underwhelming return for Phil Kessel.

Old
09-06-2009, 10:04 AM
Vic Rattlehead*

I don't know because I'm not Peter Chiarelli. <--------Best answer in this thread.

Vic Rattlehead* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2009, 10:17 AM
Bruinsfan_37
Stanley Cup Champs

Quote:
I agree but also think it sucks,would have been much nicer to get a few 1st rounders,anyways let's wait and see what happens,maybe now another team that is interested will hurry up and make the Bruins an offer

Bruinsfan_37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2009, 10:21 AM
Saxon Eric

Send a message via AIM to Saxon Eric
Quote:
Why do you assume they wouldnt want Ellis? I think COR and Budish would be a massively underwhelming return for Phil Kessel.
5-9 178 pounds that's why

Saxon Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2009, 10:29 AM
Rookie Chargers

Send a message via ICQ to Rookie Chargers
I think Kessel would emotionally and mentally die in Toronto. What do they call it Cabbage Ville

Rookie Chargers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2009, 10:36 AM
BadBruins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxon Eric View Post
5-9 178 pounds that's why
Ryan Ellis is an exceptionally gifted player. He would've been a sure fire top-5 pick if it weren't for his lack of size IMO. In todays game, that lack of size isn't as big of a concern as it was in the past. Assuming he can bulk that frame up a bit, he should be capable of playing at this level. I guess there is some risk involved there, but the upside is still huge with a player like him (though it wouldn't surprise me if Chiarelli wasn't a fan of his). Blum is another guy I'm sure the Bruins would target.

BadBruins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2009, 10:42 AM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie Chargers View Post
I think Kessel would emotionally and mentally die in Toronto. What do they call it Cabbage Ville
Toronto is very similar to Boston (although Toronto is a little bigger) in many respects. I think Kessel will be fine.

Cabbage Ville? There is a neighbourhood in Toronto called Cabbage Town but Toronto is known as:

Hogtown
The Big Smoke
The T Dot
T.O.
TO

I've never heard it called Cabbage Ville.
If Kessel likes Beantown I'm sure he'll like Hogtown.

Last edited by Neely2005: 09-06-2009 at 01:40 PM.
Neely2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2009, 11:03 AM
BallroomBitz
What about Griffith?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
Toronto is very similar to Boston (although a little bigger) in many respects. I think Kessel will be fine.

Cabbage Ville? There is a neighbourhood in Toronto called Cabbage Town but Toronto is known as:

Hogtown
The Big Smoke
The T Dot
T.O.
TO

they may be similar, but toronto's media will kill any player who doesn't play a well rounded 2-way game...

do you remember how they treated brian mccabe? the guy could get 70 points from the blueline including 15 GWG and they still would have torn him apart!

BallroomBitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2009, 11:04 AM
HallOfFamer

Why are people SO enamored with draft picks? Toronto is not going to be a bad team next year (they won't be competing for the cup, granted). IF everything falls in place you might get a pick around 10-14. The last time we picked that high we got Zach Hamil - he might end up a decent player, but so far there hasn't been anything impressive out of him. Second and third rounders are even less of lock to make the NHL. Sure, you MIGHT get some good players out of it, but no guarantee. So a return of a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd seems terrible to me. Back when you used to receive 4-5 1st rounders you at least had a much better chance of getting some legit NHL quality players.

This also doesn't take into account you are trying to win the Cup THIS year. By keeping a lesser player like Ryder or Sturm over Kessel, you are making it more difficult to win this year. Who knows how long the window to win a cup will last? It greatly diminishes if Chara leaves in two years.

HallOfFamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2009, 11:08 AM
BallroomBitz
What about Griffith?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HallOfFamer View Post
Why are people SO enamored with draft picks? Toronto is not going to be a bad team next year (they won't be competing for the cup, granted). IF everything falls in place you might get a pick around 10-14. The last time we picked that high we got Zach Hamil - he might end up a decent player, but so far there hasn't been anything impressive out of him. Second and third rounders are even less of lock to make the NHL. Sure, you MIGHT get some good players out of it, but no guarantee. So a return of a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd seems terrible to me. Back when you used to receive 4-5 1st rounders you at least had a much better chance of getting some legit NHL quality players.

This also doesn't take into account you are trying to win the Cup THIS year. By keeping a lesser player like Ryder or Sturm over Kessel, you are making it more difficult to win this year. Who knows how long the window to win a cup will last? It greatly diminishes if Chara leaves in two years.
i think at this point, it's a matter of getting 3 guys who might end up being as offensively talented as kessel, but who are cost controlled and hopefully not looking for his kind of money for at least 4-6 years.

also, when talking about other roster players compared to PK...please don't say lesser player...its so untrue it's ridiculous. less offensive player, sure...but overall it's not even close.

Last edited by BallroomBitz: 09-06-2009 at 11:15 AM.
BallroomBitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2009, 11:16 AM
Rookie Chargers

Send a message via ICQ to Rookie Chargers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
Toronto is very similar to Boston (although a little bigger) in many respects. I think Kessel will be fine.

Hogtown
The Big Smoke
The T Dot
T.O.
TO

Sorry my bad. I call it 1:00AM Shutdown. I am not suggesting that will be Kessel's problem but the media and fans. If I could cheer for a Leaf it could be Phil.

Rookie Chargers is offline   Reply With Quote