HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Begin Talks Now

Closed Thread

Old
04-05-2004, 01:43 PM
Traitor8

vCash: 500
Begin Talks Now

Begin said to his teamates and to members of the Presse:

"Don't worry about Thornton, I will take care of him "

I wonder if they have a special way of playing him

Old
04-05-2004, 01:52 PM
Guy!

*sigh*

Famous.
Last.
Words.

I hate it when players open their mouths to the press.

ACF

Old
04-05-2004, 01:59 PM
AK-47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komisarek8
Begin said to his teamates and to members of the Presse:

"Don't worry about Thornton, I will take care of him "

I wonder if they have a special way of playing him

Bégin can take care of himself. I wouldn't put too much on this statement. He prolly only meant that he would get him back for the dirty hit he received by being in his face the entire series.

Old
04-05-2004, 02:01 PM
MontrealSF
Lars Eller.

There's a difference between saying "I will face him" and "They can't compete with us".

Old
04-05-2004, 02:03 PM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyF
There's a difference between saying "I will face him" and "They can't compete with us".
agreed , he's confident and keep it adult and don't bash them .

Old
04-05-2004, 02:07 PM

We don't even know what question was asked to Bégin for him to say this, and anyways, I like it, Bégin i'm sure will try to disrupt him the whole series, and knowing Joe, he'll draw a few penalties against him

Old
04-05-2004, 02:08 PM
Bill McNeal

I don't mind what he said but it makes me wonder... What did he mean? One would think Begin, who I love, don't get me wrong, wouldn't have much of a chance of containing Thornton. So, is he referring to Joe's injury which would hamper him? Referring to throwing him off his game, as it's well documented he has a temper? Or referring to doing something dirty?

Hopefully, it's all of the above

Old
04-05-2004, 02:15 PM
Boardish

Enjoy Begin's hit on Thornton

Old
04-05-2004, 02:16 PM
felixd

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Albino
I don't mind what he said but it makes me wonder... What did he mean? One would think Begin, who I love, don't get me wrong, wouldn't have much of a chance of containing Thornton. So, is he referring to Joe's injury which would hamper him? Referring to throwing him off his game, as it's well documented he has a temper? Or referring to doing something dirty?

Old
04-05-2004, 02:25 PM
ajs

Quote:
Hopefully, it's all of the above.
You hope that he does something dirty to Joe? That's a pretty stupid thing to say.

Old
04-05-2004, 02:39 PM
Bill McNeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajs
You hope that he does something dirty to Joe? That's a pretty stupid thing to say.
Why? I've seen Joe do dirty things, and I don't doubt the Bruins will be gunning for Souray. You're kidding yourself if you don't think other teams will try to hurt Joe with his "upper body injury."

Old
04-05-2004, 02:40 PM
habfan4

As a rule, I generally cringe when players open their mouths about a playoff opponent, but in this case it may not be a bad idea on Begins part. Thornton is incredibly talented but he's also a hothead, if Begin (who is the closest thing the Habs have to pest) can get under Joe's skin (read retaliatory penalties) it might pay off for the Canadiens.

Old
04-05-2004, 03:20 PM
ajs

Quote:
Why? I've seen Joe do dirty things, and I don't doubt the Bruins will be gunning for Souray. You're kidding yourself if you don't think other teams will try to hurt Joe with his "upper body injury."
Do it, but do it clean is all I ask. Also, Joe has done dirty things, that doesn't mean I (or any Bruins fans) was hoping for him to do it.

Old
04-05-2004, 03:35 PM
Bill McNeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajs
Do it, but do it clean is all I ask. Also, Joe has done dirty things, that doesn't mean I (or any Bruins fans) was hoping for him to do it.
Good pt. I may have been overzealous with my suggestion of Begin doing something dirty. Just Joe gets my blood boiling Well, I hope for a long, tough series.

Old
04-05-2004, 03:44 PM
Habber

I haven’t seen anything but good clean physical play from Begin so far this season and I don’t expect any different. Nobody should be wishing that Begin get dirty with Thornton. Begin is an old school physical guy, he hits with shoulder. He can be effective without resorting to stickwork or dirty tactics.

I think it’s good Begin is trying to get Joe riled up. I would be hesitant to do this against most players, but to me Thornton isn’t a guy who plays well when he’s angry. He’s a very skilled guy and if Begin can get under his skin he can draw him into some bad penalties and have him too worried about physical battles rather than making good plays. Anything we can do to draw his attention away from scoring is great.

Last edited by Habber: 04-05-2004 at 03:47 PM.
Old
04-05-2004, 03:53 PM
BruinsGirl

It's interesting that this promise was made after Mr.Begin had learned about possible Thornton's upperbody injury.

Well...While Joe is a one of the key part of the Bruins, he isn't the only physical player who can hit. I don't have any doubts that it's not in Begins interests to start this war. Habs are not big and physical team like Leafs who can intemidate teams.

If Habs are so successful with their game plan they should continue to do so...and not trying to do something they are not very comfortable with.

Old
04-05-2004, 03:58 PM
habfan4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsGirl
It's interesting that this promise was made after Mr.Begin had learned about possible Thornton's upperbody injury.

Well...While Joe is a one of the key part of the Bruins, he isn't the only physical player who can hit. I don't have any doubts that it's not in Begins interests to start this war. Habs are not big and physical team like Leafs who can intemidate teams.

If Habs are so successful with their game plan they should continue to do so...and not trying to do something they are not very comfortable with.
I don't think you are familiar with Begin's game, he is a physical/energy type player (the Habs equivalent of Travis Green). No matter Thornton's status, Begin would play him the same way, he will take the body when the opportunity arises and does an admirable job of shadowing opponents. He also a pest, one that Thornton may be tempted to try and swat from time to time (which would work in the Habs favour)

Old
04-05-2004, 04:07 PM
BruinsGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan4
I don't think you are familiar with Begin's game, he is a physical/energy type player (the Habs equivalent of Travis Green). No matter Thornton's status, Begin would play him the same way, he will take the body when the opportunity arises and does an admirable job of shadowing opponents. He also a pest, one that Thornton may be tempted to try and swat from time to time (which would work in the Habs favour)
It's pretty confident statement "Don't worry i will take care of Thornton".

If Thornton plays I don't have any problems with the hits because every player on the field is a fair play...but the statment itself makes me

Old
04-05-2004, 04:09 PM
blurbruin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habber
I think it’s good Begin is trying to get Joe riled up. I would be hesitant to do this against most players, but to me Thornton isn’t a guy who plays well when he’s angry. He’s a very skilled guy and if Begin can get under his skin he can draw him into some bad penalties and have him too worried about physical battles rather than making good plays. Anything we can do to draw his attention away from scoring is great.
I disagree, I think a lot of bruins fans think that Thornton actually plays better when he's annoyed.

Old
04-05-2004, 04:20 PM
bb_fan

funny, but if this were posted on the Bruins board "i hope the B's do something dirty to Souray" most of you would all be up in arms and screaming bloody murder.

And if, god for bid, a Bruin player said anything similar, u would probaly want him arrested on the spot when they cross the border........

also funny, how Roslton was crucified for his comments, But Begin and the other guy there with something to say i so heartily defended.....

Old
04-05-2004, 04:28 PM
habfan4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb_fan
funny, but if this were posted on the Bruins board "i hope the B's do something dirty to Souray" most of you would all be up in arms and screaming bloody murder.

And if, god for bid, a Bruin player said anything similar, u would probaly want him arrested on the spot when they cross the border........

also funny, how Roslton was crucified for his comments, But Begin and the other guy there with something to say i so heartily defended.....

Try reading the thread again a little more carefully. The only person who expressed an interest in seeing Thornton injured saw the error of his ways.

Old
04-05-2004, 04:29 PM
BruinsGirl

Well..looks like Habs and their fans are trying to imitate B's and their fans of 2001 - 2002. This worked great for us, didn't it?

Old
04-05-2004, 04:29 PM
bb_fan

Quote:

umm, theres one.

Old
04-05-2004, 04:30 PM
habfan4

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurbruin
I disagree, I think a lot of bruins fans think that Thornton actually plays better when he's annoyed.
You've obviously seen more of Thornton than I have, but on a number of occassions I seen big Joe thrown off his game by the pests of this world.

Old
04-05-2004, 04:31 PM
bb_fan

Quote:
Good pt. I may have been overzealous with my suggestion of Begin doing something dirty. Just Joe gets my blood boiling Well, I hope for a long, tough series.

and theres the other u were refering to.....and i still find it funny

Closed Thread