HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Traverse City Tournament

Old
09-06-2009, 02:22 PM
Holly Gunning

vCash: 500
Traverse City Tournament

Preview video, which includes interview with coach Ross Yates.

http://hockeysfuture.craveonline.com...-preview-80677

Holly Gunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2009, 05:47 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Wild over CBJ 2-1. Jackets goal by Legein (Calvert) in 1st. Two goals by Wild in third to win it. Wild with 41-21 shot advantage.

Stats: http://www.pointstreak.com/prostats/...&seasonid=4658

Last edited by pete goegan: 09-06-2009 at 05:53 PM.
pete goegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2009, 06:02 PM
Jovavic
The Unnamed Feeling

Moore led the team in shots, don't really know what to make of that. Looks like our goalie was busy.

Jovavic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2009, 06:23 PM
Casework

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oz View Post
Moore led the team in shots, don't really know what to make of that. Looks like our goalie was busy.
We've turned a corner (good or bad) when our top offensive prospect is a defenseman...

Casework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2009, 08:47 PM
OnYourIgnoreList

Quote:
Looks like our goalie was busy.
Yeah, the shot total really tells the tale that the score doesn't. The Wild had one waved off as well and the shots we had were sort of one-off rush down the ice, get a shot and then spend the next 2 minutes defending type of deals.

The Wild played HUGE. McMillan played like a rhinocerous on skates. This is not to say he played good or bad, only to mention that every time I saw him, he was standing over or skating away from the prone body of one of our guys. And while I'm talking about MIN, why do I know the name Torquado? The rosters listed him as an invitee and I'm not up on junior hockey enough to just happen to know the name Zach Torquado for no reason. Was he a highly rated kid who fell out of the draft or something?

It seemed like a pretty even first period (SOG were 13 MIN-9CBJ) and our goal kind of came out of nowhere (I was on the opposite end of the ice from it, so I have no details on the particular play or circumstance). We seemed to perk up after the goal and came out of it having played a reasonably even period, though you could tell we were the less physical team.

It started to obviously turn in the second. After winning the opening faceoff and moving into the attack zone, we lost possession and spent pretty much the next 5 minutes defending, and not all that well. The goalie - Loverock - kept us in it. At the 10 minute mark of the period, we subbed in our other goalie (Tucker). Just about the time I was thinking to myself that we were totally getting outhit, there was a thunderous check along the far side boards. I looked just in time to see the glass shatter. From what I heard, Legein got so thoroughly de-cleated that his skate blade hit the pane and broke it. This was at 6:06 of the second and they took an intermission while the pane was replaced, and then skipped the second period intermission.

By the time the third period rolled around, it was pretty clear we were getting woefully outplayed, but Tucker was playing as well as Loverock had. Unfortunately, MIN broke through and then added a second not too long after. We had a PP with 3:00 left and pulled the goalie at 1:00 or so. There were some chances - typical hockey "if only" type plays: if only that guy had turned right instead of left, if only his stick had been on the ice, etc. but ultimately we didn't exude "threatiness" for most of the game and it never really seemed like we put up sustained pressure.

As for specific players, I tried to primarily watch our draftees because it seems likely they'll be around and worth knowing something about, where the invitees may never be seen again. So here goes (keep in mind, I am about the last person you want evaluating talent).

Delisle, Legein and Calvert had A's on their uni.

John Moore: his skating goes up to 11. Insane speed but also incredible acceleration. He plays at times like a scoring forward: has that kind of movement with the puck. Generally, all the offensive stuff you want a d-man to do, he's got it in spades. His defense is a bit shaky, as evidenced by the what seems more of a puck consciousness as opposed to player consciousness. There was a sequence in the first, I believe, where he had the puck behind our net, got knocked down and while falling had the presence of mind to pass the puck kind of back to his right to an open player. A small but really impressive play. Then a few minutes later, he took a line on a player who was coming up the ice (Moore was skating backward) and was clearly looking at the puck the whole way and got schooled on a simple pass. Didn't lead to anything for the Wild, but you could see what he needs to work on. But man, the skating and speed and moves were pretty impressive.

Kubalik: I'm aboout to say something that will be misinterpreted, laughed at and derided for weeks or months to come, but I stand by it. It is not a completely ridiculous notion to compare him to Zherdev. He has that kind of jaw-dropping puck and stick skills and the ability to momentarily stop the game. I am *not* in any way saying he's a 35 goal guy, I'm not saying he's going to turn into our Datsyuk. But this guy has serious ability and if he continues to develop, he could end up being someone we all look at as a major steal. He's like early Zherdev in the same bad ways too. He kind of disappears when he doesn't look like Jesus on skates. But he skated a near end-to-end 1-on-5 in the first and had another flash of brilliant skating along the boards and playing keep away from his defender, then taking a tricky bad angle shot.

Legein: I really hope he's here to stay, because it's clear he's a good player and good at the role he was drafted for. He's a pest with good scoring ability and seems completely unintimidated by anyone. He goes to the hard areas and works for the puck and tends to come up with it. In the first, he chased down a puck on a PK and just annoyed the crap out of the MIN player against the boards for about 10 seconds.

Blomqvist: Serious project. He's too big to play the finesse game he seems to want to and he's not mobile enough to keep himself in position simply through his skating. He's going to need to understand how important using his size and (to be gained) weight will be in playing the game, or he's going to have to develop a lot more skill. He got beat several times and it was disturbing how often his man got around or behind him.

Delisle: Solid all around. Seemed pretty much where he needed to be in both zones.

A couple of invitees did make an impression.

Matt Caria always seemed to be in the mix on both ends of the ice. I remember him standing out at the draft camp too - I will be surprised if the Jackets don't offer him a contract.

Tanski had a really nice one-on-one but hit the post.

Archibald seemed to play a lot, but I don't remember him doing much.

The goaltenders are a study in contrasts. Both, to me, played well, but talk about different styles. Loverock has that Hasek style in that he constantly seems to be making scrambling, insane saves for one reason or another. I suspect his positional play is to blame, but his ability to get some part of himself between puck and net was entertaining and effective. Tucker on the other hand makes the routine saves seem...routine. He just always seemed to be in the right place for the shot, no need to flip flop and fly, just put your pad down and let the puck bonk harmlessly off. Based on just this one game, I think Tucker has the better potential.

Alright, that's about all I can think to include. I'm going to tomorrow's game as well and will post on that too.

ETA: The stats line says Loverock played the whole game. I would swear they split the game exactly between our two goalies, but I could be wrong.

Last edited by OnYourIgnoreList: 09-06-2009 at 09:02 PM.
OnYourIgnoreList is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2009, 08:53 PM
RDriesenUD

Thanks.

RDriesenUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2009, 10:19 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Great report, Spoon, thanks!

Old
09-06-2009, 11:15 PM
PCH
Dangle.Snipe.Celly

appreciate the detailed commentary.. look forward to tomorrow's

PCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2009, 09:44 AM
sinbin

Thanks for the report. Excellent review !!

sinbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2009, 03:24 PM
RichNash61

Nice job-Thank you!

RichNash61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2009, 04:41 PM
hashmarks

I heard the game left a LOT to be desired as far as the jackets are concerned, and they are lucky to have not lost 10-1.

St. Louis beat Dallas 9-5 yesterday, are about 4 times as good as Minny and we play them tonight...this could be a blood bath.

hashmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2009, 05:02 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Seems to me that a prediction was made to the effect that our roster for this tourney was expected to be much weaker than it had been in past years. Nobody likes getting thrashed, but it appears that the goal this time around is just to get some of these young players exposure to the coaches and, for the few Euros, the NA game. Wins and competetive games will be welcomed, but it may not be seen as significant as it was in past years when the reputation of the organization was much less solid and wins of any type might have been part of image building. I could be wrong, but I thought I saw something like that written when the rosters were announced.

Old
09-07-2009, 05:08 PM
morecannon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
Seems to me that a prediction was made to the effect that our roster for this tourney was expected to be much weaker than it had been in past years. Nobody likes getting thrashed, but it appears that the goal this time around is just to get some of these young players exposure to the coaches and, for the few Euros, the NA game. Wins and competetive games will be welcomed, but it may not be seen as significant as it was in past years when the reputation of the organization was much less solid and wins of any type might have been part of image building. I could be wrong, but I thought I saw something like that written when the rosters were announced.
Yes, same here. Last year didn't we have Voracek, Filatov, Mason, Mayorov, etc at this tourney? This year it looks to be tryout players.

morecannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2009, 06:27 PM
hashmarks

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
Aren't these our prospects and guys in the system? Who isn' there that ought to be there other than perhaps Filatov and a couple goalie prospects. Aren't these guys representative of who we have in the pipes? I am not being a jerk, I am seriously asking.

Old
09-07-2009, 06:42 PM
Macster

Quote:
Originally Posted by hashmarks View Post
Aren't these our prospects and guys in the system? Who isn' there that ought to be there other than perhaps Filatov and a couple goalie prospects. Aren't these guys representative of who we have in the pipes? I am not being a jerk, I am seriously asking.
Compared to years past, this team has few drafted or signed prospects. There are a high number of free agent invitees, not all high-end ones either.

Macster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2009, 06:44 PM
Jovavic
The Unnamed Feeling

Look at the roster, Hash, the majority of the lineup are tryouts. Since Howson came along he's drafted heavily in the "US HS going to college route" and those kids can't play unless they pay their own way.

Jovavic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2009, 06:57 PM
hashmarks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macster View Post
Compared to years past, this team has few drafted or signed prospects. There are a high number of free agent invitees, not all high-end ones either.
I knew there were a lot of FA invitees, but from what I hear other teams like ST. Louis also has a lot of FA invitees...why do ours seem to suck?

Quote:
Look at the roster, Hash, the majority of the lineup are tryouts. Since Howson came along he's drafted heavily in the "US HS going to college route" and those kids can't play unless they pay their own way.
Ah. I haven't seen the roster, I will have to look for it.

Old
09-07-2009, 07:03 PM
hashmarks

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=497695

It is a blog by John Moore.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=497832

An article on Legein.

Old
09-07-2009, 07:11 PM
hashmarks

I just looked at the box score of the CBJ vs. St. Louis game and it was 4-1 jackets in the 2nd. Shots in first period 18-4 for jackets. Wow. They must have had the riot act read to them after yesterday.

Calvert with 2 goals and Moore with a pp assist.

I hope the jackets sustain it and kick their arses...we need to get revenge on the Blues at some level!

Old
09-07-2009, 07:16 PM
Jaxs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hashmarks View Post
I just looked at the box score of the CBJ vs. St. Louis game and it was 4-1 jackets in the 2nd. Shots in first period 18-4 for jackets. Wow. They must have had the riot act read to them after yesterday.

Calvert with 2 goals and Moore with a pp assist.

I hope the jackets sustain it and kick their arses...we need to get revenge on the Blues at some level!
That is great, hope they can sustain it.

Jaxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2009, 07:33 PM
Chris Roberts
Hockey's Future Staff

Calvert with two goals is huge. Good to see he can score without playing on a line that consists of Schenn and Glennie, albeit it's only a rookie camp, but still..

Chris Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2009, 07:39 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

It's a shame these games aren't on the NHL Network.

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2009, 07:46 PM
hashmarks

Things are heating up in the 2nd period:

Penalties Summary
1st Period
Columbus Blue Jackets - Brock McBride - (Roughing), 2 min, 6:00
St. Louis Blues - Philip McRae - (Roughing Double Minor), 4 min, 6:00
St. Louis Blues - Ian Schultz - (Roughing), 2 min, 7:59
St. Louis Blues - Tyler Shattock - (Cross Checking), 2 min, 8:36
Columbus Blue Jackets - Tomas Kubalik - (Too Many Men), 2 min, 11:02
St. Louis Blues - Jack Coombs - (Too Many Men), 2 min, 11:02
Columbus Blue Jackets - Brock McBride - (Slashing), 2 min, 13:00
Columbus Blue Jackets - Tim Filangieri - (Slashing), 2 min, 13:35

2nd Period
Columbus Blue Jackets - Brock McBride - (Roughing), 2 min, 0:30
Columbus Blue Jackets - Tim Filangieri - (Fighting Major), 5 min, 2:30
St. Louis Blues - Anthony Peluso - (Fighting Major), 5 min, 2:30
St. Louis Blues - Anthony Peluso - (Unsportsmanlike Conduct), 2 min, 2:30
Columbus Blue Jackets - Tomas Kubalik - (Roughing), 2 min, 16:56

Still 4-1 jackets.

Old
09-07-2009, 08:17 PM
Casework

Calvert with the trick on a shorthanded goal.

2 of his 3 goals were unassisted... sorry you couldn't join the big guy on that one.

Casework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2009, 08:21 PM
danielfloyd

Calvert with a hat trick. That puts his 2-game total at 3-1-4. That's not too shabby. Looking pretty good.

danielfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote