HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

Traverse City Tournament

Old
09-07-2009, 07:29 PM
Casework

vCash: 500
1 for 10 on the power play.

Casework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2009, 07:35 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oz View Post
Look at the roster, Hash, the majority of the lineup are tryouts. Since Howson came along he's drafted heavily in the "US HS going to college route" and those kids can't play unless they pay their own way.
The talent in this group is also heavily weighted towards the defense, at first blush. I'm more interested to see how guys like Moore and Delisle play than I am interested in seeing us win the tournament.

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2009, 07:40 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casework View Post
The rookies learn the system quick!

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2009, 07:42 PM
Happy Pony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casework View Post
Well, at least they are being well schooled in the teams strategy.

Happy Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2009, 07:45 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Am I allowed to fall in love with Calvert now, or would this be bandwagoning?

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2009, 07:52 PM
Abyss
GO BRUINS

Send a message via AIM to Abyss Send a message via MSN to Abyss
Moore with an assist on the PP and +3 for the game? sounds pretty solid ... !

Abyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2009, 08:03 PM
Fred Glover
Chief of Sinners

vCash: 1975
Thanks for all of the updates

Fred Glover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2009, 08:38 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hashmarks View Post
Aren't these our prospects and guys in the system? Who isn' there that ought to be there other than perhaps Filatov and a couple goalie prospects. Aren't these guys representative of who we have in the pipes? I am not being a jerk, I am seriously asking.
Quote:
I knew there were a lot of FA invitees, but from what I hear other teams like ST. Louis also has a lot of FA invitees...why do ours seem to suck?
Quote:
Ah. I haven't seen the roster, I will have to look for it.
You're not usually so quick to jump to such harsh conclusions without sufficient evidence, hash. Sounds like one lousy game and one decent one. One more to go!

pete goegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2009, 09:36 PM
hashmarks

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
You're not usually so quick to jump to such harsh conclusions without sufficient evidence, hash. Sounds like one lousy game and one decent one. One more to go!
I guess I was just ticked off at what was relayed to me this aft and needed to get to the bottom of it.

I feel like we can finally be proud of where the org. is going and to hear that our prospects played like arse and that we have nothing in the pipes worried me.

Compound that with the fact that I was under the impression that they were going to get slaughtered by those frickin' Blues and I was beside myself.

So yeah, I was a little out of sorts today. All better now.

hashmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2009, 09:44 PM
OnYourIgnoreList

OK, back from the STL game.

As a side note, I ate dinner after the game at a ritzy, upscale establishment ["Ruby Tuesday. Must be Italian!"] and ended up seated right next to the same table that Hitch, Agnew and one of the other coaches sat at. Due to the noise level, I wasn't able to pick up much of the conversation, but here are some tidbits:

"Matt Calvert...looks like a good salad."
"Defense...a little underdone."
"Could we have the check(ing)?"

The only thing I caught in its entirety was "How did you think Archibald looked?" "Better than yesterday." "Yeah."

OK, so, to my own useless observations.

Holy great frick is STL HUGE. They look uniformly enormous. So I'm initially thinking we're doomed. DOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

Legein, Calvert, Filangieri wearing the A's.

Loverock in goal for the whole game.

The first period was pretty lopsided in our favor. SOG were 5-0 with 11:48 to go and 18-4 at 4 end of the period. Although we were undersized, we seemed to have the speed and skill advantage and really understood that and used it.

First goal is a nice, in-close goal. Kubalik and Morovich got the A's and Kubalik did a lot to create the chance - he kept the puck alive by skating it around and playing keep away with his defender, then took a shot to create a rebound. Morovich picked it up and from there it went back to Kubalik and then to Calvert. It was chippy right from the start and it seemed like the first period, there was a scrum and liberal amounts of face-washing whenever there was a stoppage. Legein took advantage of the situation and was doing his best to agitate and took a roughing call from Schultz, who he had been bugging mercilessly for a bit, and it lead to a PP. Shortly after, Mappin went head first into the boards on a frightning hit - he was a little groggy but skated off and played the rest of the game - and that lead to a 5 on 3. Kubalik scored with one of the "ugly" goals, just sort of jamming the puck into the net through a small opening during a scramble. Despite the box score, the PP felt pretty strong during the first period - we just didn't convert.

Ther third goal was a pretty impressive example of player effort making the difference. CBJ were killing a penalty and Caria stole the puck as STL was moving up the ice. He skated into the zone and passed off, creating a chance for (I think) Mappin. The goalie stopped the puck, leading to a faceoff. We controlled, Mappin got the goal, with assists for Roeder and Caria. Caria created the whole chance with the steal, leading to the faceoff (I don't know who took the faceoff).A really outstanding hustle play. Caria seems like a pretty good bet to get an offer.

Second period, STL really started to establish their size advantage and was hitting a lot more and a lot harder. Early into the period, Peluso instigated a fight with Filangieri, who looked outmatched and got beat badly. Calvert scores an unassisted PP goal, I think top-shelf from about 4 feet. A really nice goal. Several players from other teams were sitting just to my left and they were all "Who was THAT?" It was, all in all, a really entertaining period of hockey. Lots of hitting and speed. STL clearly started to try and use their size but CBJ didn't back down and didn't seem intimidated.

Third period tilted toward STL quite a bit. We took a raftload of penalties. The third goal you could just see coming. We were on the Pk and just couldn't clear it out and couldn't clear it out and eventually STL found the open man and buried it. Once STL had closed it to 4-3, it started getting chippy again and Mappin got into a fight. It just got sloppy after that with trading penalties for what seemed like the rest of the period. At one point, there was a face off in the neutral zone and Legein was taking stick shots to his calf before the puck dropped and you could tell he was getting pissed. He played a really dominant shift, getting I think 2 SOG and just generally buzzing in the attack zone all over the place. Unfortunately, he took a hooking call with 53 seconds left and, pulling their goalie, STL had a two man advantage. STL tried to skate the puck into the zone after a face off and their player got around our defender. In a desperation move, our guy swung his stick around and managed to connect with the puck, knocking it loose and causing a scramble near the blue line. Calvert was there, picked it up and was off. He had two men trailing him and no goalie to worry about but rather than shoot the puck from half ice, he skated it all the way down the ice. I really liked that - leaving nothing to chance. NOte, that's also two short-handed goals. I turned out to be the definition of an insurance goal, because STL scored with one second left.

So that's the game. As for players:

There was someone named Brodie, #85, who got some ice time. He was not on the roster in the program, so I have no idea who he is.

Delisle: did not play.

Blomqvist: Confirmed my fears from the first game. He just doesn't use his szie well and it's going to be the biggest hurdle he needs to overcome. Now, just so there's no accusation that he's my personal whipping boy, I think there's reason to believe his shot from the point is pretty good - accurate at least - and he broke up a 2-on-1 with a sliding poke check at one point that was really impressive. Unfortunately, he just got beat a few times too many for me and I think he's got a lot of work to do.

Loverock: Solid. Much less scrambly than yesterday. He made some really big saves in the second and third that kept us in it.

Legein: I really hope he keeps his head on straight, because he's Tyler Wright with more skill. He can annoy you in a lot of ways, some of which involve scoring chances.

Archibald: Played a more noticable game today. Had at least one nice check and planted himself in front of the net admirably at times. I still don't have a good feel for him or who he is though.

savard: Did not play. But I wanted to mention something. After I posted last night, I checked the stats and saw he was -2. Now, I was going to write in something to the effect of "Savard didn't play well." but it dawned on me that I couldn't say why I felt that way, just that I had a guy feeling. So I took that part out. But the -2 bears that out. Just like sometimes a player doesn't get on the scoresheet and you still feel like he made a positive impact (the Raffi Torres Effect), Savard didn't do anything spectaculalry poorly, but I seemed to notice him a lot at the wrong times.

Caria: This guy is a good player. Always seems to be in the mix, plays with a lot of hustle and has good skill.

Kubalik: Didn't have any moments of sheer awesomeness like he did yesterday, but I still like his game a lot. On the goal where he assisted, he really created the entire chance just by keeping the puck on his stick and putting a shot on goal. He doesn't seem to shy away from contact either. Now, I think he's got some bad habits to deal with, such as possibly being a bit of a dangler type player, but you can see that he doesn't want to stay that way. He seems to me to work hard at his game, not just at scoring. I think he has real potential to surprise us in 2 years or so.

Calvert: Obviously, the hat trick kind of speaks for itself. He's got a lot of skill and he plays HARD. He's always going and always in the play. He had some nice passes as well, they just weren't converted. He seems to have both playmaking and scoring ability. I'm very excited to see how he does at the next level (AHL?), which I presume will happen this year sometime.

That's about all I can remember or gather from my notes. Heading back to CMH tomorrow, so that's it for me.

OnYourIgnoreList is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2009, 10:13 PM
Happy Pony

Simply awesome. Thanks a bunch Spoon.

Happy Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2009, 10:59 PM
Ludicrous Speed

I voted for Calvert since like #7 in the prospects voting threads.

and you all thought I was crazy.

Ludicrous Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2009, 11:13 PM
sbtatter

Calvert is the hardest working, most determined player you'll ever see. He will make the NHL. But please send him back to us in Brandon this year for the Memorial Cup season ok?!

sbtatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2009, 07:37 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
So yeah, I was a little out of sorts today. All better now.
Glad to hear it!

Old
09-08-2009, 08:54 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Link to the Day 2 report from the mains:

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...nt_recap_day2/

Old
09-08-2009, 10:10 AM
Ludicrous Speed

Calvert evidently only had two goals according to Tyler Wright. Kubalik should be credited with Calvert's second goal.

http://blog.dispatch.com/cbj/2009/09...or_treat.shtml

Ludicrous Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2009, 10:14 AM
Boltz9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbtatter View Post
Calvert is the hardest working, most determined player you'll ever see. He will make the NHL. But please send him back to us in Brandon this year for the Memorial Cup season ok?!
Yes I second this. You can fall in love with him after he leads his hometown team to a Memorial Cup.

Boltz9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2009, 10:24 AM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltz9 View Post
Yes I second this. You can fall in love with him after he leads his hometown team to a Memorial Cup.
I think he's already stated in an interview that he wants to go back to junior. Dunno what the org will say/has said, but that's apparently his intention.

I'm torn, personally. On the one hand, I want this kid to develop so that he may hopefully kick butt for us. On the other hand, I feel the pain of those on the cusp of a championship who lose a good player.

Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2009, 10:29 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludicrous Speed View Post
I voted for Calvert since like #7 in the prospects voting threads.

and you all thought I was crazy.
Not at all, I think I mentioned him in unrelated threads discussing our 2k8 draft. I know I've discussed him with a couple of friends of mine. I've always thought Calvert is going to end up on our top 6. IMO the most skilled forward we have left in our system, assuming Filatov makes the team.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2009, 10:40 AM
Holly Gunning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
I think he's already stated in an interview that he wants to go back to junior. Dunno what the org will say/has said, but that's apparently his intention.
http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article..._matt_calvert/

Holly Gunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2009, 12:42 PM
Chris Roberts
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly Gunning View Post
Awesome. Was hoping you'd get Calvert.

Chris Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2009, 04:41 PM
jacketracket*

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMthespoon View Post
And while I'm talking about MIN, why do I know the name Torquado? The rosters listed him as an invitee and I'm not up on junior hockey enough to just happen to know the name Zach Torquado for no reason. Was he a highly rated kid who fell out of the draft or something?
Good thread, and nice recaps! Good stuff!

I thought you might be talking about Zack Torquato, but I thought he was drafted by the Wings. I seem to remember some question about him, too. Was projected to go higher than he did, possibly some character issues, something like that ...

Just curious - what are the limitations on rosters for this tourney? Are there age limits, or restrictions regarding draft year?

jacketracket* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2009, 03:28 PM
Skraut

Apparently the Jackets were supposed to start playing at 3, but haven't seen any stats updated on pointstreak.

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2009, 03:30 PM
cbjgirl
Just thinking

http://www.pointstreak.com/prostats/...9666&refresh=1

lots of fights today currently 2-1 Dallas near the end of 2

cbjgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2009, 03:59 PM
jacketsgeek
What's that sound?

WOW 3-3 in the third...
Calvert with 2 more goals today - both on the PP!!

jacketsgeek is offline   Reply With Quote