HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Traverse City Tournament

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-11-2009, 12:04 PM
  #76
JacketsFanWest
Registered User
 
JacketsFanWest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,740
vCash: 500
What's the deal with the automatic bid to the Memorial Cup for the host team? Does that team need to qualify at all? Or is the regular season just all a big tune-up for the tournament?

It doesn't seem to be the same type of experience and pressure as trying to make the playoff, when a team starts the season already knowing that they're going to be playing for the championship automatically.

The Jackets might as well assign Calvert to Syracuse and release him for the Memorial Cup.

JacketsFanWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2009, 01:11 PM
  #77
Ludicrous Speed
Registered User
 
Ludicrous Speed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Killumbus
Country: Micronesia
Posts: 11,000
vCash: 500
Regardless, I think it's win-win for Matt. Gain pro experience in the A or have a shot at the biggest Junior title. He'll benefit from either.


Of course I'd rather see him in Syracuse.

Ludicrous Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2009, 02:30 PM
  #78
Macster
Registered User
 
Macster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Halifax, NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,972
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacketsFanWest View Post
What's the deal with the automatic bid to the Memorial Cup for the host team? Does that team need to qualify at all? Or is the regular season just all a big tune-up for the tournament?

It doesn't seem to be the same type of experience and pressure as trying to make the playoff, when a team starts the season already knowing that they're going to be playing for the championship automatically.

The Jackets might as well assign Calvert to Syracuse and release him for the Memorial Cup.
The Memorial Cup is a four team tournament, featuring the winners of the WHL, OHL and QMJHL. The fourth team is the host team. If the host qualifies as a league winner, the league runner up gets in.

Many teams when they know they are hosting the Mem Cup will load up for a run, but if they lose early in the playoffs they get the free ticket to the big tournament.

Macster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2009, 02:37 PM
  #79
JacketsFanWest
Registered User
 
JacketsFanWest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,740
vCash: 500
Thanks, Macster.

So, there really is not incentive for the Wheat Kings to win the whole season. There's no lose and go home until the Memorial Cup.

Calvert might as well gain the experience of helping Syracuse make the playoffs, then go back to Brandon.

JacketsFanWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2009, 02:48 PM
  #80
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor
 
pete goegan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 11,544
vCash: 500
Can he play in the AHL and then return to Juniors for the Cup? I doubt it, but I supposed it's possible. The Cup format has got to be based on ticket sales - Canada's a big place and, unless the home team is in, it may be tough to get a full house for games involving teams from thousands of miles away. I'm just speculating, of course.

pete goegan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2009, 03:13 PM
  #81
hashmarks
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 5,830
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludicrous Speed View Post
Of course I'd rather see him in Syracuse.
So would the coaching staff in Syracuse I would imagine...talk about thin on skill this year!

From a jackets standpoint I am sure they would like to get him up to the pro level, but if his heart is to be playing in the Mem. Cup then he should do that.

hashmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2009, 11:49 AM
  #82
allin4466
Registered User
 
allin4466's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacketsFanWest View Post
Thanks, Macster.

So, there really is not incentive for the Wheat Kings to win the whole season. There's no lose and go home until the Memorial Cup.

Calvert might as well gain the experience of helping Syracuse make the playoffs, then go back to Brandon.
The incentive is to have a great regular season and playoffs so that come mem cup time you are ready to compete.

Just a side note, effectively a team can "buy" themselves into the mem cup by hosting, but one of the big factors the WHL looks at when awarding it is the competitiveness of the team hosting it. Which is why you souldnt see a team like Moose Jaw or Prince George hosting it

allin4466 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2009, 12:03 PM
  #83
Ward Cornell
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,270
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macster View Post
The Memorial Cup is a four team tournament, featuring the winners of the WHL, OHL and QMJHL. The fourth team is the host team. If the host qualifies as a league winner, the league runner up gets in.

Many teams when they know they are hosting the Mem Cup will load up for a run, but if they lose early in the playoffs they get the free ticket to the big tournament.

It actually can lead to far greater pressure for the Host Team to perform well during the entire season. No host team wants go get to the Memorial Cup through the back door! The entire team is under a microscope all season and the coach/GM will make any improvement through-out the season. The players needs to "bring it" every shift or else they will be sent packing!

Free ride?....not a chance, they paid their dues during the season!
(but I know what you meant)

Ward Cornell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2009, 12:40 PM
  #84
pcl73
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3
vCash: 500
One of the biggest difference between AHL and Junior for a young player (18-19 years old) is outside the rink !! In AHL, they are alone. They live in appartement, they do their meal, do their cleanup .... They need to be mature ! In junior, they live with a family. They are not let alone.

pcl73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2009, 02:17 PM
  #85
FlaggerX
Registered User
 
FlaggerX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Columbus
Posts: 1,172
vCash: 500
It's also true that Calvert isn't a very big guy and the AHL is full of guys hoping to push and shove their way onto an NHL roster. Pretty physical.

FlaggerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2009, 12:43 PM
  #86
Happy Pony
Registered User
 
Happy Pony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Columbus
Country: United States
Posts: 2,659
vCash: 500
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=4...id=DL|NHL|Home

John Moore's full blog from TC.

Happy Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:19 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.