Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > WHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Saskatchewan AA Bantam 2009-2010 Season

Old
09-06-2009, 02:17 PM
dickiedunnwrotethis

vCash: 500
Saskatchewan AA Bantam 2009-2010 Season

Given that all our western neighbors have threads, i think it's time Saskatchewan has one of its own too.

Hopefully this can turn into an all-purpose thread where Saskatchewan WHL draft prospects, promising '96 rookies, team rankings, and Bantam news in general can be discussed. Since try-out camps haven't even started in Saskatoon yet, it might be a bit premature to weight teams (but for those inclined, go at it!), but i would be interested in your top-10 '95 and '96 DOB lists.

Also, as i'm from Saskatoon and have a nephew playing here, any information on the general Saskatoon scene would be appreciated.

For what it's worth, my (very preliminary) lists:

95's

1) Forsberg (F)
2) Leverton (F)
3) Millette (f)
4) Spagrud (f)
5) King-Cunningham (D)
6) Hanson (D)
7) Williams (F)
8) Mclean (F)
9) Shields (G)
10) Calladine (F)

96's

1) Chartier (F)
2) Olynik (F)
3) Oleksyn (F)
4) Duret (F)
5) Warkentine (F)
6) Glover (F)
7) Mpofu (D)
8) Amson (F)
9) Swystun (D)
10) DeCorby (G)

Note: The above lists are limited (and notably, the entire 96 roster) by my woeful ignorance of South Sask hockey and my increasingly shaky memory of last year's hockey. For instance, i do remember a big "D" who played for the jr blades and who should probably be on this list, but for the life of me i can't remember his name. Anyway, i'm not a scout, nor pretend to be, so any comments disagreeing with my picks won't hurt my feelings, but rather will be much appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by dickiedunnwrotethis: 09-07-2009 at 07:30 PM. Reason: wrong name entered
dickiedunnwrotethis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2009, 06:10 PM

with forsberg and leverton playing AAA who does warman have to fill these positions? what kind of players do they have and will they be as dominant in upcoming season? which players will excel in upcoming season?

2464 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2009, 07:55 PM
dickiedunnwrotethis

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2464 View Post
with forsberg and leverton playing AAA who does warman have to fill these positions? what kind of players do they have and will they be as dominant in upcoming season? which players will excel in upcoming season?
Unless something has changed in the last 2 weeks, Leverton will play for Warman. As to Forsberg, when you're ranked in the top 2 in Western Canada, that pretty much makes you irreplaceable. That said, Leverton is good enough on his own to make Warman a formidable team, just not the dominant elite team they would have been with Forsberg in tow.

I only watched one day of their tryout camp so i don't have a lot of insight on their players. One player to watch out for, even though he's a 96, is Carter Amson. I watched him play on a fairly miserable Martensville pee wee squad last year and he left me impressed: big for his age, very fast, lots of energy, and loads of character. Right now his offensive skills aren't that polished, but as he's pegged to play on Leverton's line, that should improve in time. Sobkowicz, another '96 from Martensville last year, should be good too. Think of him as a less physically gifted version of Amson.

There were a few other forwards that were impressive, but i can't remember their names. Defense, i think, is going to be their Achille's heel. Just not a lot of depth.

Old
09-09-2009, 09:29 AM

What other teams in the center 4 bantam leauge will have players rise to the top? Which players in the GSHL will be noticed and worthy of watching? Do you have a list of players that should be on top of rankings?

Old
09-09-2009, 10:25 AM
From The Stands

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickiedunnwrotethis View Post
Unless something has changed in the last 2 weeks, Leverton will play for Warman. As to Forsberg, when you're ranked in the top 2 in Western Canada, that pretty much makes you irreplaceable. That said, Leverton is good enough on his own to make Warman a formidable team, just not the dominant elite team they would have been with Forsberg in tow.

I only watched one day of their tryout camp so i don't have a lot of insight on their players. One player to watch out for, even though he's a 96, is Carter Amson. I watched him play on a fairly miserable Martensville pee wee squad last year and he left me impressed: big for his age, very fast, lots of energy, and loads of character. Right now his offensive skills aren't that polished, but as he's pegged to play on Leverton's line, that should improve in time. Sobkowicz, another '96 from Martensville last year, should be good too. Think of him as a less physically gifted version of Amson.

There were a few other forwards that were impressive, but i can't remember their names. Defense, i think, is going to be their Achille's heel. Just not a lot of depth.
Dickie,

One player does not make a team formidable, if that was the case the Saskatoon Generals with Stephanson, would have been a formidable team. Two years ago Weyburn had Benson, Jackson, Pouliott, Ferris, and they were not a formidable team, reason being, "TEAM".

I think this year you will find may individuals but seeing the 96 talent which is very consistent but not as many high end kids as in past years, it will be the coach that puts a team together that will rise to the top.

Watch for teams like Humboldt and Clavet to compete with good overall teams as they will have a nice mix of high end kids and good supporting talent.

From The Stands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2009, 11:30 AM
Pontiac

Center 4 will have Jordan Tkatch. He's a good one. PA kids as well.Manson and Preymack. Also a number of '96's

Pontiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2009, 06:42 PM
dickiedunnwrotethis

Quote:
Originally Posted by couchscout View Post
Dickie,

One player does not make a team formidable, if that was the case the Saskatoon Generals with Stephanson, would have been a formidable team. Two years ago Weyburn had Benson, Jackson, Pouliott, Ferris, and they were not a formidable team, reason being, "TEAM".

I think this year you will find may individuals but seeing the 96 talent which is very consistent but not as many high end kids as in past years, it will be the coach that puts a team together that will rise to the top.

Watch for teams like Humboldt and Clavet to compete with good overall teams as they will have a nice mix of high end kids and good supporting talent.
Point taken. I watched the Martensville pee wee team, one with arguably the most depth in their league, have a truly dismal season. That said, i do think Leverton has enough talent to make Warman competitive (that is if he even plays for Warman, which, according to some posters, is up in the air).

I'd be interested in hearing about what players to look out for in Clavet.

Old
09-09-2009, 06:49 PM
dickiedunnwrotethis

Quote:
Originally Posted by 358 View Post
Center 4 will have Jordan Tkatch. He's a good one. PA kids as well.Manson and Preymack. Also a number of '96's

Can you tell me what position Jordan Tkatch plays, and what sort of player he is?

Old
09-10-2009, 07:30 AM
Pontiac

Tkatch is a fwd. Good skater, high energy guy, nose for the net.

Old
09-10-2009, 06:17 PM
dickiedunnwrotethis

Quote:
What other teams in the center 4 bantam leauge will have players rise to the top? Which players in the GSHL will be noticed and worthy of watching? Do you have a list of players that should be on top of rankings?
Prince Albert is pretty stacked. I would especially watch out for the Duret brothers.

Old
09-15-2009, 12:22 PM
schoolboyjones

South Sask Top 5

Here is my prediction of South Sask top 5.

ND
Lumsden
Swift Current
Moose Mountain
Yorkton

schoolboyjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2009, 12:32 PM
canadian_eh

This Leverton, is it Craig? He suited up for the AAA Mintos a few nights ago and from what I could assess, he was a very hard working player that was very strong along the boards for a '95 playing against player 2 years older than him.

As for Manson and Preymack, who were mentioned earlier in the thread, both also played with the Mintos earlier this week, but I didn't get a good assessment of either, but from the impression I'm getting, both should set them selves apart from the rest in AA Bantam, so hopefully we'll see more of them down the road. Manson, son of Dave Manson, has good bloodlines, so he should be a good one if that.

As for Jason Duret, he suited up in 1 game for the AAA Mintos and from reports around the rink, all reports are very high on Jason and his brother.

Any other AAA players to watch for this season?

canadian_eh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 06:14 PM
dickiedunnwrotethis

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian_eh View Post
This Leverton, is it Craig? He suited up for the AAA Mintos a few nights ago and from what I could assess, he was a very hard working player that was very strong along the boards for a '95 playing against player 2 years older than him.

As for Manson and Preymack, who were mentioned earlier in the thread, both also played with the Mintos earlier this week, but I didn't get a good assessment of either, but from the impression I'm getting, both should set them selves apart from the rest in AA Bantam, so hopefully we'll see more of them down the road. Manson, son of Dave Manson, has good bloodlines, so he should be a good one if that.

As for Jason Duret, he suited up in 1 game for the AAA Mintos and from reports around the rink, all reports are very high on Jason and his brother.

Any other AAA players to watch for this season?
Yep, it's Craig. It seems like he's playing everywhere these days.

I was wondering if the Manson boy from PA was any relation. Can you tell me what kind of game he plays? Also, any thoughts on Preymack would be appreciated too.

Old
09-16-2009, 06:18 PM
dickiedunnwrotethis

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoolboyjones View Post
Here is my prediction of South Sask top 5.

ND
Lumsden
Swift Current
Moose Mountain
Yorkton
Thanks for the prediction, sbj. Speedy Creek is my old hometown so i was wondering if you can tell me anything about their team? I hear Spagrud is pretty good, but i'm not really familiar with any other players.

Old
09-16-2009, 09:10 PM

Heard warman has a pretty good team, seems alot of players wanted to play with warman. Leverton not to sure who affiliating with should lead and also watson who will be affiliating with AAA stars this year. All is rumor till actually lace up and play a game. They also seem to have good coaching staff which helps any team go a long way.

Old
09-18-2009, 06:55 PM
schoolboyjones

Yikes ND beat Weyburn 13-2 last night. Anyone at the game?

Old
09-19-2009, 07:52 AM
Pontiac

Weyburn beat ND on Fri. Ian Williams (ND) out with a broken hand from football I heard, and Zac Douglas (Weyburn) hurt as well. Wasn't there but ND goaltending was suspect. They haven't cut anyone yet.

Old
09-19-2009, 10:18 AM
schoolboyjones

What tenders are they looking at?

Old
09-19-2009, 07:34 PM
dickiedunnwrotethis

Quote:
Heard warman has a pretty good team, seems alot of players wanted to play with warman. Leverton not to sure who affiliating with should lead and also watson who will be affiliating with AAA stars this year. All is rumor till actually lace up and play a game. They also seem to have good coaching staff which helps any team go a long way.
I can't really comment on the quality of the Warman coaching staff, but after watching 2 days of Saskatoon city try-outs, i'm pretty sure Leverton will always give them a chance of winning. Not so sure about their Defence doing the same.

Old
09-20-2009, 06:13 AM

I would have to agree that they have forwards capable of scoring, and yes they lack in defence. Heard they(warman) lost game other nite to PA, but as season nears opening day 2nd year boys will have stepped up and assume there role as leaders. Have'nt made it to any gshl practices so cannot comment on other teams or players.

Old
09-20-2009, 12:53 PM
WestLEAFfan

I know Craig Leverton very well. He's a real good kid, very level headed and mature for his age. He's a real bonafide WHL star in the making.

WestLEAFfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 04:18 PM
dickiedunnwrotethis

Quote:
I would have to agree that they have forwards capable of scoring, and yes they lack in defence. Heard they(warman) lost game other nite to PA, but as season nears opening day 2nd year boys will have stepped up and assume there role as leaders. Have'nt made it to any gshl practices so cannot comment on other teams or players.
I'm not sure about their defence or goaltending, but PA is absolutely stacked with quality forwards. [If there wasn't a ND team i'd have them ranked number one provincially.] It'll be interesting to see how Warman/PA battles take shape down the season.

Old
09-20-2009, 04:40 PM
dickiedunnwrotethis

Just finished watching 2 days of scrimmage try-outs in Saskatoon. Other than the disappointment that virtually none of the top '96 DOB players attended (and if anyone can tell me why, please do), it was a good experience: entertaining and very competitive. No absolute top-end players like forsberg, leverton, or millette, but what we lack in elite talent, i think we make up for in overall depth.

This would be the order in which i would be drafting players (with the top 8 separating themselves from the bottom 7) :

1) Stuart Symenuk - F
2) Dexter Bricker - F
3) Jeremy Leclerc - D
4) Brandon Scheidel - D
5) Matt MacLeod - F
6) Austin Calladine - F
7) Maxim Powiada - D
8) Colby Harmsworth - D

9) Adam Santoro - F
10) Thomas Schnitzler - F
11) Robbie Cameron - D
12) Jackson Michalenko - F
13) Trevor Looman - F
14) Randy Singh - D
15) Joe Bristow - F

I didn't pay much attention to the goalies, so none are on my list. If anyone else attended, i'd be interested in your thoughts. Should be a good season.

Old
09-20-2009, 07:33 PM
Pontiac

Schoolboy:ND has 8 goalies at the moment. Thibadault (sp) prob. # 1. Eric Williams #2 Ohrt (sp) #3 Parker #4. However it's hard to cut a kid paying 20k a yr. to attend and have him go home, so the out of prov. kids will have the advantage. ND will be the best team in the prov. so a few weaker players won't hurt that much, so long as the core is strong. Had a call from a Wilcox dad a few min. ago. ND 7 Lumsden 3. The Williams kid went 1/2 game shutout.

Old
09-20-2009, 08:31 PM
schoolboyjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickiedunnwrotethis View Post
disappointment that virtually none of the top '96 DOB players attended (and if anyone can tell me why, please do),
There was a big tournament for 96's in Stoon this weekend. Don't know much about it other teams from Toronto were there. Yorkton and Estevan played on Saturday in Whitewood and both were missing there top 96 players as well.