HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Prospect Opinions

Old
09-06-2009, 05:09 PM
goalscorer

vCash: 500
Prospect Opinions

Been a huge Preds fan for a long time, but unfortunately didn't get to watch very many games last season. I mostly spent the year reading articles and watching highlights.

I've read tons of articles about our prospects and heard "official" opinions on most of them. I hope I'm not repeating a similiar thread, but I'd like to get opinions or more of a critic of our prospects from you guys. Mostly on Wilson, O'reiley, Jones or any other players you want to discuss. What are their strenghts, weaknesses. Who has the best shot of coming on board out of camp, etc.

goalscorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2009, 09:09 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

I'll give my take on our pro prospects:

Mike Santorelli - Has a lot of speed, and always seems to be in the right place offensively, but he's awful as a center. He gets stifled in physical competition and he's atrocious on the face-off dot. His defensive game is sorely lacking. Hopefully his long-overdue move to the wing this year can help him put all the tools together to be a legitimate NHL player.
O'Reilly - For a guy that gets reputed for his offense, his two-way acumen is a bit surprising. He has tremendous vision and creates offense well, but I still have reservations about his wild skating stride and lack of size.
Wilson - He has a knack for being in the right place at the right time, as well as tremendous offensive talent. He's ready for the physical aspect of the NHL, but he needs to improve his foot speed. It won't hold him back for long, though; he's too talented to stay in the AHL for more than half a season.
Spaling - A player who works really hard and always makes an impression when you see him play. He'll be in the NHL soon enough, but not this year.
McKenzie - It seems like his all-around game has improved in his first year in the pro ranks. He likely won't amount to much more than a 4th liner at the NHL level, but his behemoth frame makes that a very good possibility.
Mark Santorelli - I don't really understand what happened to him. He has a decent skill set, but it doesn't seem to have translated to the professional ranks. Maybe he'll be able to take a step forward this year and earn a regular spot in Milwaukee.
Maki - I don't really have much input on his play, but Lambert RAVED about his progress last season, and he put up great numbers down the stretch as he got more ice time. He's a guy to watch.
Thuresson - He has speed, he hustles, he plays well defensively, but it's hard to say that he'll amount to much more than a checking forward at the senior level.
Franson - Big and offensively skilled, but not very physical and lacking in mobility. I don't think he'll reach his lofty potential unless he does some serious work with a skating coach, but he should at the very least be a third pairing defender.
Blum - Easily the best of our defensive prospects. He has the ultimate combination of mobility, intelligence, and overall skill. I really want him to be on the team this year, but I think he may be pushed to Milwaukee because of his age and the experience level of his peers.
Lääkso - He moves well, plays the body well, and is in position defensively. May need time to flesh out his offensive game, but I'm not sure there will be much to it. He could make the team this year, but I suspect he heads back to Milwaukee for one more year before making the jump.
Sulzer - Very promising defender, of whom I'm a big fan (I own an Admirals jersey with his name and number). Great mobility, great puck-movement, very strong on the power play. Needs to play the body more and fine-tune his defensive game. Will be on the roster this year and will hopefully continue to make strides this year.
Dietrich - Small, and his mobility seems limited, but he plays with a good head on his shoulders. I would love to see him develop into an NHL player, but it seems like a long shot.

I don't really have an opinion on the goalies.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2009, 07:27 AM
goalscorer

Thanks for the input, well spoken. Can't wait to see who makes the roster.

Is anyone on the booards here going to watch training camp here in a few days?

goalscorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2009, 09:02 AM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by goalscorer View Post
Thanks for the input, well spoken. Can't wait to see who makes the roster.

Is anyone on the booards here going to watch training camp here in a few days?
Generally quite a few of the posters around here are able to make it to training camp, and several take photos as well.

Can't wait

golfmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2009, 06:24 PM
CrossCheck

Hornqvist???

CrossCheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2009, 06:30 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossCheck View Post
Hornqvist???
Needs to stop taking hockey tips from Tootoo.

Old
09-13-2009, 06:46 PM
nine_inch_fang

Send a message via Yahoo to nine_inch_fang
Where is SLAKE.....I know he went and he'll have an indepth analysis. I'm just not patient right now.

nine_inch_fang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2009, 07:06 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by nine_inch_fang View Post
Where is SLAKE.....I know he went and he'll have an indepth analysis. I'm just not patient right now.
I have been in Charlotte for 9 of the past 11 weeks, but drove home this afternoon and will be attending camp starting Monday. I'll know probably tomorrow or Tuesday whether or not I'll have to return to NC later this week, but am going to the Metallica concert tomorrow night at the Sommet Center and wasn't going to miss that!!!

I'll do my best to post something tomorrow between training camp and the concert, but if not, I'll definitely post something Tuesday.

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2009, 07:07 PM
CrossCheck

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
Needs to stop taking hockey tips from Tootoo.
Meaning???

CrossCheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2009, 07:12 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Meaning???
Two things I'm looking for out of Hornqvist at camp this season are an improvement on his skating speed and agility and also an increase in strength on his shot.

Patric last season really didn't impress me with his skating ability (just didn't have the speed or agility to create chances for himself) and he truly lacked strength on his wrist shot as well.

I really don't project him to necessarily make the team out of camp unless he shows an improvement from last season, but see him playing in Nashville as a call-up at some point this season...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2009, 07:12 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Meaning???
Meaning he holds the puck like a live grenade, doesn't play well in his own end, and when he does shoot, its from the same location to the same location every time (from the top of the circles into the goalie's chest). If he doesn't improve this year, he's probably headed back to Sweden, and I think that's for the best - he would do more good with Djurgardens than Nashville.

Last edited by worstfaceoffmanever: 09-13-2009 at 07:46 PM.
Old
09-13-2009, 07:39 PM
predfan24

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
and he truly lacked strength on his wrist shot as well.

I

I agree which surprised me because when he came over last year he was billed as a goalscorer. He isn't a great skater. He isn't a great puck handler. He isn't a playmaker and he doesn't have a great shot. Plus he is small. He tries hard I'll give him that but I see him going back to Sweden within the next two offseasons.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2009, 08:56 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
I have been in Charlotte for 9 of the past 11 weeks, but drove home this afternoon and will be attending camp starting Monday. I'll know probably tomorrow or Tuesday whether or not I'll have to return to NC later this week, but am going to the Metallica concert tomorrow night at the Sommet Center and wasn't going to miss that!!!

I'll do my best to post something tomorrow between training camp and the concert, but if not, I'll definitely post something Tuesday.
I hate you, not just for seeing training camp but also going to the Metallica concert.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote