HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Bruins will match if Burke goes for Kessel

Old
09-06-2009, 08:49 PM
LordLucic*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick96 View Post
Thank you, if Boston is going to unload salary in a capped environment (especially with the cap going down) it will be at the expense of other players/prospects/picks alongside the salary dump.
No it won't. There are plenty of GMs who would take on Chuck Kobasew and his 2.3 mill for a draft pick. Were not talking about a player who is overpaid here. Were talking about a player who actually earns his salary just has no room on Boston.

LordLucic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2009, 08:52 PM
Patrick96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddie View Post
GO BRUINS!! Do whatever makes Burke the most mad i love listening to him when hes mad. He`s like that girl in high school with self-esteem issues that never shuts up to compensate.
Hahaha, no offense but you sound like someone who'd make a real good cheerleader, I don't know if your a boy/girl but we'll leave it at that

Patrick96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2009, 08:54 PM
YoungGuns
The Taylor Hall Show

vCash: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordLucic View Post
No it won't. There are plenty of GMs who would take on Chuck Kobasew and his 2.3 mill for a draft pick. Were not talking about a player who is overpaid here. Were talking about a player who actually earns his salary just has no room on Boston.

ya and most GM's would take advantage over that, lets be fair here Boston is in a world of hurt right if bruke does offer , then either way their in trouble gms can and wil take advantage of that

YoungGuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2009, 08:57 PM
Patrick96

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordLucic View Post
This is true, I've seen Columbus fans show interest in Kobasew but unloading Kobasew's contract isn't going free up enough cap space to fit Kessel.

Do you know what would be really funny though, if the 2nd round pick Burke acquired had little to do with Kessel and he remained a B blessed with a new contract late this year. haha At least it gives us something to talk about, right?

Old
09-06-2009, 08:57 PM
YoungGuns
The Taylor Hall Show

vCash: 132
would everyone agree that boston is in for some tough times right about now if bruke offers then either way their in trouble if he doesnt they still have to shed some salary and with the cap goin down i dont see a gm standing up and taking care of another teams problem ( just IMO)

YoungGuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2009, 08:59 PM
Patrick96

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockynight View Post
would everyone agree that boston is in for some tough times right about now if bruke offers then either way their in trouble if he doesnt they still have to shed some salary and with the cap goin down i dont see a gm standing up and taking care of another teams problem ( just IMO)
Next year Lucic and Wheeler will be RFA's.

Old
09-06-2009, 09:04 PM
State of Hockey

I think we could see this coming last year when Chiarelli signed Ryder. Really was worth it, Peter . . .

State of Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2009, 09:06 PM
Tyler Myers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
He'll match. The only way he doesn't is for massive overpayment.

Keep in mind that Kessel will spend a couple of months on LTIR which should eat up about 30% of his salary. Waiving Kobasew and Recchi gives him about $5m in cap space with 20 players. He can sign two players at the minimum to replace them (shouldn't be too tough). He's left with about $4m, which should allow him to match anything up to about $6m.

If worst comes to worst he can waive Bergeron.

It's a no brainer, especially if it's a one year deal. He can be taken to arbitration next season and his contract could be reduced.

Would he be better off letting Kessel go? Probably. But "you've got to protect your assets".
oh wow?

Tyler Myers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2009, 09:09 PM
TimeZone
Swedish Sensation

Quote:

Keep in mind that Kessel will spend a couple of months on LTIR which should eat up about 30% of his salary. Waiving Kobasew and Recchi gives him about $5m in cap space with 20 players. He can sign two players at the minimum to replace them (shouldn't be too tough). He's left with about $4m, which should allow him to match anything up to about $6m.

It's a no brainer, especially if it's a one year deal. He can be taken to arbitration next season and his contract could be reduced.

Would he be better off letting Kessel go? Probably. But "you've got to protect your assets".

Keep em' coming.

TimeZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2009, 09:10 PM
4thliner*

Phill Kessel is not worth busting your cap and overpaying. He has a lot of holes in his game and is one dimensional. Even that one dimension might NEVER equal to 80-90 pt player. Those are guys you can maybe justify paying 5-6,7+ mill.

Toronto also does not have a set up guy like Savard or any offensive support so even 30 goals and 60pts there is in question.

Take the picks Peter and hope that the Leafs suck, as they will most likely will, and maybe draft in the lottery, you are a smart man. Boston could still compete without Kessel and help their system.

Toronto Kessel or no Kessel is still a weak team with many holes from un estable goaltending to zero offense and even D if guys like Komisarek sucks like last year.

Compete in the east, and be in position to draft a stud next year. What is not to like about that?

Last edited by 4thliner*: 09-06-2009 at 09:19 PM.
4thliner* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2009, 09:12 PM
LordLucic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockynight View Post
[/B]

ya and most GM's would take advantage over that, lets be fair here Boston is in a world of hurt right if bruke does offer , then either way their in trouble gms can and wil take advantage of that
Most GMs would take advantage of that, when they are the only team going for that player.

You can be quite sure that if Chuck Kobasew is being traded for a draft pick that 5 or more GMs will be interested.

Old
09-06-2009, 09:12 PM
ugotmybeef*

I sense it's just a posturing move.

ugotmybeef* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2009, 09:51 PM
caley

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISLESnPANTHERS View Post
I don't believe Burke will shoot an offer sheet at Kessel but has anyone considered the other side of the situation? It may be a bluff to maximize the offer sent to Kessel thus maximizing the return to the Bruins.
I was thinking of this, today, as well. Maybe Burke has been talking to the Bruins about Kessel again and is unhappy with what Boston wants as a return, so he goes out and reacquires his 2nd pick and comes back to Boston with another offer and says "If you turn this one down, I don't want to, but I might have to make an Offer Sheet on Kessel" and hope that Chiarelli goes "Yeah, all right, Kessel for Frogren, can I have your second rounder, too?" "No, I already traded it for Kirk Maltby." "Aww."

caley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2009, 10:00 PM
Ty Webb*

Quote:

Ty Webb* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2009, 10:15 PM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Resigning Kessel means saying good-bye to Savard.. or at least Lucic the season after.

I think Savard is more important than Kessel Unless Bergeron returns to his pre-concussion form. If Bergeron does that then it's a no-brainer... but that's a gigantic gamble.

I don't think that Lucic will ever be a 40 goal scorer, but he brings a lot more to the table than Kessel does and he'll undoubtedly have a smaller cap hit than Kessel. (I'm thinking 3-4 mill)

If there was a team out there who was desperate for a center and would eat 80-90% of Bergeron's contract it would be pretty hard for Boston to turn down. (And it would be pretty hard to believe that a team would do it.)

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2009, 10:21 PM
Andrew Mack

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
Resigning Kessel means saying good-bye to Savard.. or at least Lucic the season after.

I think Savard is more important than Kessel Unless Bergeron returns to his pre-concussion form. If Bergeron does that then it's a no-brainer... but that's a gigantic gamble.

I don't think that Lucic will ever be a 40 goal scorer, but he brings a lot more to the table than Kessel does and he'll undoubtedly have a smaller cap hit than Kessel. (I'm thinking 3-4 mill)

If there was a team out there who was desperate for a center and would eat 80-90% of Bergeron's contract it would be pretty hard for Boston to turn down. (And it would be pretty hard to believe that a team would do it.)
What is with everyone dumping on Bergeron in this thread? If Bergeron was on the market he'd warrant more interest than Kessel IMO.

Andrew Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2009, 10:27 PM
LordLucic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by caley View Post
I was thinking of this, today, as well. Maybe Burke has been talking to the Bruins about Kessel again and is unhappy with what Boston wants as a return, so he goes out and reacquires his 2nd pick and comes back to Boston with another offer and says "If you turn this one down, I don't want to, but I might have to make an Offer Sheet on Kessel" and hope that Chiarelli goes "Yeah, all right, Kessel for Frogren, can I have your second rounder, too?" "No, I already traded it for Kirk Maltby." "Aww."
Yeah thats exactly what is happening.

Chia isn't going to trade him unless he gets what he wants. If that means Burke is going to Offer Sheet then so be it but it isn't going to help him in negotiations.

Old
09-06-2009, 11:04 PM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ugotmybeef View Post
I sense it's just a posturing move.
So GM's should throw away picks just so they give the appearance they are up to something? Yeah, makes sense..

WBC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2009, 11:54 PM
Bejamin1*

Lolololol

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedouimet View Post
Yeah, Chiarelli just want Burke to Overpay so he gets at LEAST a 1st, 2nd and 3rd...he wont match a 5M$ contract
Yes he will match actually, you're not too bright eh? He's said he's been willing to match any offer all along. Are you some kind of fool who doesn't realize there is a reason that not a single GM has tossed an offer sheet at Phil Kessel this summer? You don't think almost any team in the league thinks Phil is worth a 1st-2nd-3rd for a star player and clutch goalscorer at 5M per? Nobody has done it because they all know it's an act of futility. Way to make yourself look stupid though. If Burke is tossing an offer sheet it's likely at someone else who won't match. Dubinsky would be my guess.

Bejamin1* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2009, 11:57 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedouimet View Post
Yeah, Chiarelli just want Burke to Overpay so he gets at LEAST a 1st, 2nd and 3rd...he wont match a 5M$ contract
Giving a 21 year-old 5 million per who scored as many points as Kessel did isn't overpaying.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2009, 12:16 AM
nmbr_24

I have seen people say things like they know they are facts like:

the cap is going down-we don't know yet what will happen, recently there was several articles saying it now looks like the cap might not go down at all.

No Gm's would want to trade for Kobasew or Ference-This is laughable, if Kobasew was on the Islanders last year, he would have been their leading goalscorer and he plays big, he plays very good defensively. I am not very sure that there would be no takers for Kobasew. As a matter of fact, a 2nd round pick for Kobasew is a great deal for the team that gets him. I don't believe for a second that teams wouldn't line up to give a 2nd for him. Ference is a good middle or lower pairing puck moving defenseman, and he only makes $1.4 million, he plays with heart and is a great team guy by all accounts I have ever read. No team wants that do they?

If the Bruins sign Kessel, they won't be able to sign Savard or Lucic-Kessel or no Kessel they might not be able to sign Savard and as far as Lucic, he will probably never make it to RFA status because the Bruins management know how much of a fan favorite he is and what kind of repercussions there would be if they didn't sign him.

Lucic is going to be an UFA-OK, it is RFA, HUGE difference.

The Bruins would waive Bergeron-Yup

Here are some facts

Boston has $1.7 million in cap space right now.

Kessel has said he isn't looking for $5 million per year.

Chiarelli has said he wants Kessel on the team and would move players if he has to.

He has said he will match any offer sheet within reason, so he has a limit as to how much he will match.

Burke and Chiarelli are pretty good friends.

Kessel is the best goalscorer on the Bruins or the Leafs.

The Bruins can trade other players to make room for Kessel, they can also waive players and send them to the minors if they are not claimed and remove their cap hit and replace them with someone less expensive.

Burke has the pieces to make an offer sheet to Kessel that would require compensation of a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round pick or more.

The Leafs have the cap space to sign Kessel to an inflated contract.

Am I forgetting anything?

A lot of what has been posted here is just people giving their opinion and stating it as a fact. That is my personal pet peeve because unless you are some kind of insider, you don't know any more than I do.

I have read so many theories and people with, well, let's call it wishful thinking, on both sides of this debate, not very many of them have been all that realistic. Here is what I think is realistic, if Burke makes an offer sheet of $5 million or more, the Bruins probably won't match, less than that, they do and then they trade Kobasew and someone else to make room. Trading Kobasew alone gives them the space to sign Kessel at $4 mil, if he is signed for more, they would have to move another player.

nmbr_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2009, 02:42 AM
Alan Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thliner View Post
I think Burke is using this to put some pressure on Boston to trade kessel to Toronto for Kaberle.

Use the offer sheet as a threat to get Boston to wake up and deal with the Kessel issue.

Then he might use the offer sheet. But Boston is up against the cap and they should just take the draft picks and hope the Leafs suck again, which I think they will.

Their goaltending is still up in the air and not go to guy yet. Their D has changed with some stay at home defensive guys comming in. If Kaberle is gone, who will move the puck? They want to trade the aging Kaberle and get young players. If Boston was not to match the offer sheet and take the draft picks that would only give Toronto more insentive to reblenish the drafts picks/young players in the system by trading Kaberle to get young players or get back a 1st round pick.

The Bruins signed free agent defenseman Derek Morris since the aborted Kaberle/Kessel trade.

There is no longer the need or the money for Kaberle in Boston.

Alan Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2009, 03:08 AM
Alan Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bejamin1 View Post
Yes he will match actually, you're not too bright eh? He's said he's been willing to match any offer all along. Are you some kind of fool who doesn't realize there is a reason that not a single GM has tossed an offer sheet at Phil Kessel this summer? You don't think almost any team in the league thinks Phil is worth a 1st-2nd-3rd for a star player and clutch goalscorer at 5M per? Nobody has done it because they all know it's an act of futility. Way to make yourself look stupid though. If Burke is tossing an offer sheet it's likely at someone else who won't match. Dubinsky would be my guess.

GM Chiarelli has said he wants Kessel on the team and will deal with Kessel's salary demands (including offer sheets) within reason, provided it doesn't upset the overall financial balance he is trying to achieve. See the following article for details:

http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/bo...t-being-cheap/

He might match an offer at $5 million or he might let Kessel go. Most Boston fans don't think he will match at that price, but none of us "experts" here really knows what he will do.

If he doesn't match, how does that make you look, given the bolded comments above that you made to another poster?

Alan Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2009, 07:30 AM
Bruwinz37

Quote:

This post is flawed on so many levels it is staggering.

Chiarelli isnt going to waive these guys....trade, maybe but not waive. If he waives Bergeron that will be the end because he will get picked up on reentry waivers then we have 2.5m in dead cap space on the books. Even Kobasew and Ference wouldnt make it thru re-entry.

And finally--any offer sheet Kessel signs isnt going to be a "one year deal".

Bruwinz37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2009, 08:03 AM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruwinz37 View Post
This post is flawed on so many levels it is staggering.

Chiarelli isnt going to waive these guys....trade, maybe but not waive. If he waives Bergeron that will be the end because he will get picked up on reentry waivers then we have 2.5m in dead cap space on the books. Even Kobasew and Ference wouldnt make it thru re-entry.
Those players would not make it through initial waivers. So re-entry waivers will not be an issue.

Captain Ron is online now   Reply With Quote