HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Bruins will match if Burke goes for Kessel

Old
09-07-2009, 09:00 AM
Beukeboom Fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
heh, yup. Chances are they get at least a top 10 pick. They might get two if they can force Burke to raise his offer.

Leafs' fans are fixated on those 36 goals, not paying attention to the fact that he was playing with one of the premier set up men in the game. He could very well end up being Cheechoo 2.0.
People seem to forget that he scored 27 goals getting no PP time before Thornton was traded to SJ. Cheechoo lacks the footspeed to create his own offense. Does that sound like Kessel? Kessel has an elite skillset. This isn't Burrows who scored 27 goals playing with the Sedins.

Also, Cheechoo has been hampered by mutliple sports hernia injuries. Those are the type of injuries that hamper your entire game.

IMO, Kessel's going to get his goals. Has Savard helped? Sure, but having a premier playmaker ALWAYS helps. Does Hull get to 70+ goals without Oates? Probably not IMO. But that doesn't mean he was a 30 goal guy on his own.

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2009, 10:47 AM
yohan1212

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Ron View Post
Incorrect....many of us have been trying to correct this line of thought for years.
technically u r right... But when a player is on the LTIR, the club can exceed the cap by the players salay..... Bruins can match and not have to trade anyone till December when kessel comes back...............................

yohan1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2009, 11:36 AM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by yohan1212 View Post
technically u r right... But when a player is on the LTIR, the club can exceed the cap by the players salay..... Bruins can match and not have to trade anyone till December when kessel comes back...............................
Even that is not really correct. Right now (before the season starts) a team can only exceed the cap by 10% and that includes every player on the team's roster that played last season. So if an offer sheet is extended to Kessel that would put the Bruins over that 10% limit it would not matter if he is on the LTIR.

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2009, 12:11 PM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
This could really mess with the Bruins if true. Correct me if I am wrong but the Bruins would have to make a move to make room for Kessel and he is out possibly for the first two months of the season. Could hurt them.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2009, 12:31 PM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Quote:
Originally Posted by andymack1986 View Post
What is with everyone dumping on Bergeron in this thread? If Bergeron was on the market he'd warrant more interest than Kessel IMO.
As much as I like him and was hoping to see him turn into a premier center in the NHL... even though I'm not a bruins fan... my friends and I have been under the assumption that there's a good chance that he's gone down with a case of "Kevin Stevens syndrome" ever since getting that concussion.

Meaning, his nerves are still shaken up to some degree from the shock of the incident and I'm under the impression that there's a great chance that he'll never be the same.

thadd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2009, 12:33 PM
Ernie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beukeboom Fan View Post
IMO, Kessel's going to get his goals. Has Savard helped? Sure, but having a premier playmaker ALWAYS helps. Does Hull get to 70+ goals without Oates? Probably not IMO. But that doesn't mean he was a 30 goal guy on his own.
I'm not questioning Kessel's talent. My point was that he's probably not a 40 goal player any time soon on the Leaf's roster.

That's not to say that he wouldn't put up around 30 goals and 60 points. But at $5-6m and a bucket of draft picks including a likely top 10 pick, the price is too high and it comes at the wrong time in the Leafs' rebuilding process. Burke needs to hold on to that first round pick, draft a potential top line player or top pairing defenceman (and he needs both things on cheap contracts badly), and make a big move then if he's going to.

Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2009, 11:58 PM
Jeremy2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Ron View Post
Obviously people who have not read the CBA should not comment on it's contents.
Captain Ron, you realize I was making a statement that its failing. You've not yet succeeded in correcting it, so "Keep Trying"?

Jeremy2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2009, 12:01 AM
FlyingKostitsyn

I'd rather the Bruins match. No picks for them along with salary cap problems. I don't want Kesssel in Toronto either, I want their top6 forward group to stay in its current, miserable form. We'd also never hear the end of it with some Leaf fans who'd end up calling him a 50 goal scorer and top 10 forward in the league.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2009, 12:04 AM
TYayo

Kessel won't be Cheecho 2.0 but i def think he takes a step back next year maybe to say 28 Goals from 36 if he's in Toronto...but in a couple years once the leafs get a bit more developed up front to help him out i think he could be a 40 goal scorer on the team

TYayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2009, 12:07 AM
Chandrashekhar Limit
ORANJE 4 LYFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
I'd rather the Bruins match. No picks for them along with salary cap problems. I don't want Kesssel in Toronto either, I want their top6 forward group to stay in its current, miserable form. We'd also never hear the end of it with some Leaf fans who'd end up calling him a 50 goal scorer and top 10 forward in the league.
Kessel is a 60 goal scorer, and a top 5 forward in the league.

Chandrashekhar Limit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2009, 12:27 AM
ComrieFanatic

Why not just sign him on your own for $4.5 as opposed to waiting for another team to do it for them and then they match for more - around $5 million. Also, the longer the wait, the less they are going to get if they have to move players to create roster room. They likely won't get much as it is since teams will know Boston is desperate to make room.

ComrieFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote