HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

VAN-MTL: Demitra for Plekanec

Closed Thread

Old
09-07-2009, 06:40 PM
habsfan44

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by benji View Post
This is obviously completely hypothetical and just for discussion. A thought I just had and I don't feel like racking my brain to see if it makes sense or is plausible so I thought I'd let you guys have at it. What about a straight up flop of Pavol Demitra for Tomas Plekanec? The Habs have a couple of million available in cap space, while the Nucks could shed a bit. The salaries are 4M$ for Demitra and 2.75M$ for Plekanec, both of whom could perhaps use a change of scenery.

Both are UFA's after this year, and the Habs have a pretty big crop of RFA's to sign next year, including Carey Price, Guillaume Latendresse and Maxim Lapierre. Getting Demitra could make sense to add a little punch to the offence, while Plekanec would be a nice return for the Nucks, as he has the ability to easily match Demitra's offensive output and allows them to get under the cap before the season starts. What say you?
So the Habs get Demitra "to add a little punch to the offence" for Plekanec "who has the ability to easily match Demitra's offensive output" and gets the Canucks under the cap and it only cost's Gainey 1.25 million extra this year . All of the benefits in this proposal are headed west , all of the baggage is headed east and your idea which seems out of left field quickly goes south .

Old
09-07-2009, 06:41 PM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
If the Habs are going to get another 2nd line center he has to have both of these attributes: size and grit. In all honesty i would give Plekanec, Weber and a 1st for Kessler before giving Plekanec only for Demitra.
Vancouver fans:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
**** NO!

Old
09-07-2009, 06:49 PM
emb24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfan44 View Post
So the Habs get Demitra "to add a little punch to the offence" for Plekanec "who has the ability to easily match Demitra's offensive output" and gets the Canucks under the cap and it only cost's Gainey 1.25 million extra this year . All of the benefits in this proposal are headed west , all of the baggage is headed east and your idea which seems out of left field quickly goes south .
this

Old
09-07-2009, 06:56 PM
Bourdon

The key thing is that Plekanec is a UFA next season. If Montreal doesn't see a future in him, it isn't a huge deal that he's dealt. I don't really see why Montreal would do this though. It's kind of funny that a Hab fan proposed this.

Old
09-07-2009, 07:08 PM
Highbrow
Alfie, Alfie, Alfie!

I don't think Plekanec needs a change of scenery and if so surely a very difference offense (Cammy, Gomez, Gionta, etc.) is a good place to start. I think he'll regain his form this season and if would be foolish for Montreal to give up on him due to one bad season. Wouldn't do this if I was the Habs (even with a second coming back, I would still hold onto Plekanec).

Old
09-07-2009, 07:38 PM
LickTheEnvelope
Decertified Poster

It's like swapping slightly more skill for slightly more health, better age and cap hit.

It's a fairly 'meh' swap for me, doesn't seem to fit with what Montreal needs.

Old
09-07-2009, 07:44 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Let's see... Montreal needs a forwards with skills, size and grit. Not Demitra... also, this puts Lapierre as our second line center...

Old
09-07-2009, 07:44 PM
Hawkguy
Hockey's Back!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bourdain View Post
Vancouver fans:
I agree Vancouver would say no, but the value isn't that far off. Plekanec is (at least can be) a very good #2 centre.
Weber is my favourite prospect - I rank him ahead of Subban.
And a 1st is never bad (especially when who knows where Montreal finishes).

Demitra for Pleks on the other hand is terrible. I can't see Demitra outscoring Pleks by that much. Pleks is also really good defensively. And the age difference is huge. Plekanec CAN be re-signed - Demitra is almost to retirement.

Old
09-07-2009, 07:58 PM
BigHabs

Vancouver
Bernier, Lukowich

Montreal
Plekanec, O'byrne, 3rd round pick '11

Vancouver
Bernier, Wellwood, Lukowich

Montreal
Plekanec, Metropolit, O'byrne, 3rd pick '11

Montreal takes on cap so vancouver can squeeze under it as well as maintain their team. As soon as the trade went down that vancouver got erhoff and lukowich, talks were of one having to go, odd man out was lukowich. What better way to move one of them and also free up cap space. Wellwood small, one thing I could find a problem if montreal takes him on to their team. Bernier brings them size. Same numbers as Plekanec. O'byrne is thrown in to replace Lukowich with 600,000 in savings on the cap. O'byrne is just there in case of injury and Vancouver can send him to the minors if need be. So with O'byrne in the AHL there is another 966,000 off of Vancouvers books as AHL players don't count towards the cap. So they really save 1,566 000 the same salary as Lukowich by taking on O'byrne and put him in the minors. Plekanec and Metropolit save them money and play the same roles on vancouvers team that Bernier and Wellwood would play. Metropolit would definetly help on the PK. Plekanec on the PK but for sure help on the PP.

Overall I find Vancouver kind of gets the help they need with the cap, good players in return, plus a pick in the draft. Vancouver fans if they deny this deal well, good luck trying to find someone to take on the salaries of some of the players.

Last edited by BigHabs: 09-07-2009 at 08:07 PM.
Old
09-07-2009, 08:03 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamblor506 View Post
Vancouver
Bernier, Lukowich

Montreal
Plekanec, O'byrne, 3rd round pick '11

Vancouver
Bernier, Wellwood, Lukowich

Montreal
Plekanec, Metropolit, O'byrne, 3rd pick '11
Are these two players even going to be on he Canucks roster this year, trade or no trade???

Those are salaries they can bury in Winnipeg.

Plekanec is way better than Bernier, Metropolit has a use in his game as a checker, where as Wellwood is one trick pony who is undersized and usually out of shape too. Luckowich is a 7th Dman where we don't need that, we need a top 6 player to replace Plekanec.

Old
09-07-2009, 08:09 PM
Warren Piece

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
Let's see... Montreal needs a forwards with skills, size and grit. Not Demitra... also, this puts Lapierre as our second line center...
Demitra can play center as well as he can play LW and RW.

Old
09-07-2009, 08:13 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killface View Post
Demitra can play center as well as he can play LW and RW.
Still doesn't address the size and grit though.

Old
09-07-2009, 08:28 PM
Dark4ng3l

The truth is the Habs don't like this because it's better to keep Plekanec than trade him for something thats not what we need.

Old
09-08-2009, 12:10 AM
LostMyGlasses*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Zepp View Post
Demitra is a former top 10 point producer in NHL and a good bet for 60ish points. He is tremendous with the puck and makes a lot of heads up plays. This is important with mentoring the crop of younger players the Vancouver franchise has coming along. Not sure Plekanec has that pedigre of ability.

For the one year of each, the Vancouver franchise seems to have a lot better going for it if they have Demitra on their roster than Plekanec.
Are you a used car salesman?

Old
09-08-2009, 12:17 AM
blankall

How does Demitra need a change of scenery? He needs a new hip.

Demitra is old and at 4 million has negative value to a team like Montreal that is close to the cap.

Old
09-08-2009, 12:37 AM
HockeyF3ind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark4ng3l View Post
The truth is the Habs don't like this because it's better to keep Plekanec than trade him for something thats not what we need.
this....

Kesler is the only return player from the Canucks that would work for the Habs losing Plecks. And I live in Vancouver and know Kesler isn't going no where.

Old
09-08-2009, 12:39 AM
sselssalc

A straight up swap doesn't make sense for MTL. Period.

Old
09-08-2009, 12:40 AM
Alex28*

Demitra is worthless. Plekanec is not.

Pass.

Old
09-08-2009, 12:43 AM
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex28 View Post

Pass.
How is Demitra worth less?

Old
09-08-2009, 01:43 AM
orcatown

I love this.

Montreal fans couldn't say enough ugly things about Plekanec last year and then someone suggest they trade him and Hab fans tell us that he is actually pretty damn good.

Old
09-08-2009, 02:39 AM
Blane Youngblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex28 View Post
I don't understand how people think Plekanec is the same as Demitra offensively.

Last year
Demitra: 59GP, 20G, 33A = 53Pts; 0.8 PPG -- Career 0.9 PPG
Plekanec: 80GP, 20G, 19A = 39Pts; 0.5 PPG -- Career 0.6 PPG

Both players are soft as butter and since his time in Minny, Pavol plays reasonable D although he get's bashed on because of his overall softness.

Old
09-08-2009, 02:50 AM
dhabums*

Quote:
Originally Posted by benji View Post
This is obviously completely hypothetical and just for discussion. A thought I just had and I don't feel like racking my brain to see if it makes sense or is plausible so I thought I'd let you guys have at it. What about a straight up flop of Pavol Demitra for Tomas Plekanec? The Habs have a couple of million available in cap space, while the Nucks could shed a bit. The salaries are 4M$ for Demitra and 2.75M$ for Plekanec, both of whom could perhaps use a change of scenery.
Why do you think Demitra needs a change of scenery? He CHOSE to sign here and was house shopping before July 1 last year. Gillis is his old agent.

Old
09-08-2009, 02:54 AM
dhabums*

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfan44 View Post
As we all know, nothing in Canada ever works this way. West to East is the only direction benefits travel.

Old
09-08-2009, 03:01 AM
R0bert0 Lu0ng0

Quote:
Originally Posted by bieksa 3 View Post
How is Demitra worth less?
Don't expect a response - Alex28 leaves a steaming pile of wisdom like this in every thread about Demitra, despite the fact that Demitra gets his points every year and is a solid enough defensive contributor to have played center under the most defensive coach in league history.

Old
09-08-2009, 03:38 AM
Askel

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
Are these two players even going to be on he Canucks roster this year, trade or no trade???

Those are salaries they can bury in Winnipeg.

Plekanec is way better than Bernier, Metropolit has a use in his game as a checker, where as Wellwood is one trick pony who is undersized and usually out of shape too. Luckowich is a 7th Dman where we don't need that, we need a top 6 player to replace Plekanec.
I wouldnt trade Bernier for Plekanec, Wellwood has more talent in his left foot than Metropolit and Lukovich is a much better defenseman tha O´Byrne.

Canucks will not be trading Bernier this year since he is our only top 9 forward who is physical.

Closed Thread