HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Die Hard Ranger fan with concerns...

Old
09-08-2009, 11:35 AM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSportsfan6230 View Post
Once teams start to triple team Gaborik (if he stays healthy), then I really don't feel as though our secondary scoring could carry the load. I look at Prospal as being on the downside of his career, and I'd rather have Zherdev than both of them. We have a lot of 3rd and 4th line players now, with brashear, boyle, i personally think prospal isn't that good so you could concievably count him.
Look, I can appreciate Zherdev's skill. But anyone who desires him over an elite talent like Gaborik, needs their head checked. Gabby for a half season is way better then Zherdev for a full season.

This team has 3 legit scoring lines and plenty of guys who can finish. That will translate into scoring depth.

Quote:
I'm not arguing that Rosival isn't a competent defender, he is definitely capable of doing his job, but whether he was caught flat-footed or already skating around there is no denying the fact that they are defintely slow.
If you're insinuating Rozsival is slow, he's not.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2009, 11:39 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

vCash: 500
Quote:
The Flyers and the Devils have established players that know their roles on the team. They don't come in each year with a bunch of spare parts that were picked up from the scrap heaps.

I agree I think this team will finish about 7th, I think they'd get eliminated in the first round, but I do try to look at it as a building year as long as Torts keeps his word and plays people based on merit. If it's like last year where we were promised youthful exuhberance every game, only to sit some of the young guys when they moments were big, that'd trying to avoid some of the experiences that come with the grow pains and I think players are molded by going through those growing pains not avoiding them.

So, if the youth gets their ice time and experiences the ups and downs of a long season then I think it's a productive year, but if the opposite happens, I think we'll be sitting right back here next year with a new bunch of spare parts saying we need the youth to grow again.
I think the flyers team has some structure. However, I dont believe the devils team does. They've made a lot of changes including with the coaching staff. I dont know how you could say they know what their roles will be come training camp and even after that going into the regular season. Holik retired, Madden and Gionta left. Those guys were key components to the team. I just dont see the devils being a better team than the rangers. Flyers maybe, but I think when its all said and done, the rangers will be able to compete with the flyers this season.

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2009, 11:48 AM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

This is why I want Heatley in the worst way. There's another way too look at it. Let's look at the forwards in the atlantic division that can be deemed star calibur.

The Penguins -- Malkin, Crosby, Staal
The Flyers -- Richards, Carter, Gagne
The Devils--- Elias, Parise
The Islanders -- Okposo, Tavares
The Rangers -- Gaborik....and that's where it stops. We Lack the players that can be deemed star calibur and have the ability to be game-changers game in and game out. We only have one. I share the same concern with some of you Ranger fans. If Gaborik is shutdown affectively, this teams in trouble. This is why I want Heatley.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2009, 11:49 AM
allstarr425

Quote:
Wat's up guys, I am a die hard Rangers fan new to HF Boards.

Now that I have gotten that out of the way, I want to start by addressing concerns within this team. I used to be an optimistic Ranger's fan thinking every year we made our offseason moves that it could be the year where we finally get over the bubble, and obviously those feelings have been futile.

Now, there are a bunch of nieve Rangers fans that start to bother me more and more every year. I have now icreasingly become pessimistic about this team.

Like I had someone on the IGN NHL EA Boards think that the Rangers would be one of the top teams in the East, which leads me to reason number one I don't think so:

Once teams start to triple team Gaborik (if he stays healthy), then I really don't feel as though our secondary scoring could carry the load. I look at Prospal as being on the downside of his career, and I'd rather have Zherdev than both of them.[/U][/B] We have a lot of 3rd and 4th line players now, with brashear, boyle, i personally think prospal isn't that good so you could concievably count him.

I know most of us are die hard Rangers fans, but I am really worried that this team isn't equipped to be very good at all, this is one of the times I hope I am wrong. Our defense consists of Staal and Girardi, a couple of slow, shoddy defenders, and two young kids. Our lines are scattered with some decent scoring here and there, we don't really have a line that could strike fear in any team, just a few decent plays scattered around.

So thoughts and opinions would be greatly appreciated, and no he's not a real Ranger fan, I'm just looking at the team realisticly and looking for an intelligent discussion on how bad we'll be this year lol jk.

Wait... did you say you would rather have zherdev than GABO????

allstarr425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2009, 12:01 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
This is why I want Heatley in the worst way. There's another way too look at it. Let's look at the forwards in the atlantic division that can be deemed star calibur.

The Penguins -- Malkin, Crosby, Staal
The Flyers -- Richards, Carter, Gagne
The Devils--- Elias, Parise
The Islanders -- Okposo, Tavares
The Rangers -- Gaborik....and that's where it stops. We Lack the players that can be deemed star calibur and have the ability to be game-changers game in and game out. We only have one. I share the same concern with some of you Ranger fans. If Gaborik is shutdown affectively, this teams in trouble. This is why I want Heatley.
Islanders- You dont know how tavares is going to handle the NHL...(see stamkos for a reference) And Okposo isnt in that class yet.

Devils- I'd say they only have Parise right now. Elias is still very good but he isnt dominant. I think if Higgins has a nice year he could be up there in points as well. Higgins had 38-38-52-23 points in his last 4 seasons with that last number representing last year in which he battled injuries. You could see the season before he had improved and look to be going up.

Flyers- legitimately have 3 good scorers all currently under the age of 30. I still feel with the rangers having the edge in goaltending and the players theyve added, I dont see why they wouldnt be able to compete with them. Flyers do have the edge offensively though.

Penguins- the only team that i feel has the clear edge over the rangers and pretty much most teams in the league. They have the forwards, the goalie, the defensive core with a true PPQB (Gonchar)

Old
09-08-2009, 12:17 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagr68NYR94Leetch View Post
Islanders- You dont know how tavares is going to handle the NHL...(see stamkos for a reference) And Okposo isnt in that class yet.

Devils- I'd say they only have Parise right now. Elias is still very good but he isnt dominant. I think if Higgins has a nice year he could be up there in points as well. Higgins had 38-38-52-23 points in his last 4 seasons with that last number representing last year in which he battled injuries. You could see the season before he had improved and look to be going up.

Flyers- legitimately have 3 good scorers all currently under the age of 30. I still feel with the rangers having the edge in goaltending and the players theyve added, I dont see why they wouldnt be able to compete with them. Flyers do have the edge offensively though.

Penguins- the only team that i feel has the clear edge over the rangers and pretty much most teams in the league. They have the forwards, the goalie, the defensive core with a true PPQB (Gonchar)
I'm not just talking about this season. In the long-run as well. Tavares and Okposo will be star calibur. I really wouldn't compare Higgins to Elias.

My post was about FORWARDS, as I mentioned earlier. Not D-men or Goaltending. Otherwise the list would grow bigger for all the teams.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2009, 12:51 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
I'm not just talking about this season. In the long-run as well. Tavares and Okposo will be star calibur. I really wouldn't compare Higgins to Elias.

My post was about FORWARDS, as I mentioned earlier. Not D-men or Goaltending. Otherwise the list would grow bigger for all the teams.
Okay fair enough. But if you are going to talk about the "long-run" then in the "long-run" Elias will only get older as he is currently 33 years old. And in the long-run prospects like grachev and anisimov could blossom into very productive players just like carter and richards have for philly. And also in the long-run you dont know how the salary cap will look and what star forwards will be available via free agency.

Old
09-08-2009, 01:03 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Ok, I need to clarify something about my original post that I mis-typed.

What I meant to say was I'd rather have Zherdev over Kotalik and/or Prospal just based off his still untapped potential. I did not mean to say that I'd rather have Zherdev over Gaborik.

Also, when I was talking about the Devils and Flyers knowing their structure going into the season, I should've been more clear becuase I meant that the Devils Championship teams always came in each year with every player knowing their roles, kind of like the Flyers organization is starting to build.

New York RKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2009, 01:18 PM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagr68NYR94Leetch View Post
One point: Over Tampa's last 25 games or so, Stamkos was possibly their best forward and I think he is going to hit big time either this year or next. If that is the reference point, Tavares is going to be an excellent NHL player.

Also, Okposo was on a simply horrid team and managed to put up respectable numbers. He is going to be a major player. I would trade any Rangers forward even up for either of them. The Isles are possibly only a year or two from being as good as the Rangers.

chosen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2009, 01:25 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
One point: Over Tampa's last 25 games or so, Stamkos was possibly their best forward and I think he is going to hit big time either this year or next. If that is the reference point, Tavares is going to be an excellent NHL player.

Also, Okposo was on a simply horrid team and managed to put up respectable numbers. He is going to be a major player. I would trade any Rangers forward even up for either of them. The Isles are possibly only a year or two from being as good as the Rangers.
I usually enjoy when you rain down doom and gloom cause I share a lot of pessimism when it comes to the Rangers, but this is a little much.

The Islanders have many many problems to hide that wont be covered by Tavares and Okposo. Those problems include.....well.....everything besides Tavares and Okposo.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2009, 01:32 PM
WheresBarnaby

This season's the same as any other. If your a diehard Ranger fan you gotta accept the fact that you can't really have any expectations with this team. That's what makes us come back season after season though. Who the hell knows what's gonna happen this year? Maybe we'll win the cup, or maybe we'll take over the Isles spot last year. More than likely we'll end up in the middle somewhere; a short run in the playoffs, or maybe not. It's up to the guy's on the ice, and all our screaming at the tv does nothing to help

WheresBarnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2009, 01:37 PM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
I usually enjoy when you rain down doom and gloom cause I share a lot of pessimism when it comes to the Rangers, but this is a little much.

The Islanders have many many problems to hide that wont be covered by Tavares and Okposo. Those problems include.....well.....everything besides Tavares and Okposo.
With the ways rosters turn over at such an accelerated pace nowadays you never know. Bailey might also be a player. We have reached an era, because of the cap, that the league can go upside down very quickly. Remember, I didn't say it would happen, I said it could happen.

While Tavares and Okposo are not Crosby and Malkin, they are two pretty talented youngsters. I'm already sold on Okposo. No opinion yet on Tavares.

In Rangerland we are hoping Grachev and Kveton or someone else will be our dynamic duo.

It is much easier to fill in a roster around a few outstanding players than to build an overall excellent team. Detroit has theirs, Pittsburgh has theirs, Washington has theirs, the Rangers, as of now, do not have theirs. The Islanders might.

chosen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2009, 02:22 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheresBarnaby View Post
This season's the same as any other. If your a diehard Ranger fan you gotta accept the fact that you can't really have any expectations with this team. That's what makes us come back season after season though. Who the hell knows what's gonna happen this year? Maybe we'll win the cup, or maybe we'll take over the Isles spot last year. More than likely we'll end up in the middle somewhere; a short run in the playoffs, or maybe not. It's up to the guy's on the ice, and all our screaming at the tv does nothing to help
HAHAH I need to learn that the season isn't a sprint, it's a marathon so I have to limit my yelling early in the year so my voice doesn't go hoarse come playoff time when the really screw up

Old
09-08-2009, 04:19 PM
HeaveHo94
PSN: NYC_RANGERS_94

Man I wish there was a Ranger game 2night.

HeaveHo94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2009, 04:29 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

In exactly 1 week and 1 hr and 31 minutes from the time of this post

Old
09-08-2009, 04:44 PM
D713B

Quote:
HAHAH I need to learn that the season isn't a sprint, it's a marathon so I have to limit my yelling early in the year so my voice doesn't go hoarse come playoff time when the really screw up
I'm pretty sure people don't remember what our team looked like on Oct. 4th, 2008. It included a combination of:

Drury, Gomez, Naslund, Zherdev, Dubinsky, Callahan, Korpikoswki, Voros, Sjostrom, Prucha, Betts, Orr, Fritsche and Rissmiller.

I'm slightly more optimistic at the outset of this season than last.

D713B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2009, 03:59 AM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

Send a message via Yahoo to Sad London Ranger
Quote:
Originally Posted by D713B View Post
I'm pretty sure people don't remember what our team looked like on Oct. 4th, 2008. It included a combination of:

Drury, Gomez, Naslund, Zherdev, Dubinsky, Callahan, Korpikoswki, Voros, Sjostrom, Prucha, Betts, Orr, Fritsche and Rissmiller.

I'm slightly more optimistic at the outset of this season than last.
We were sitting here talking up Naslund even though we all knew he was at the end.
We were expecting great things from Zherdev he has never shown in the past apart from a few
sexy highlight goals
We were hoping Prucha would come back and be his rookie self but we all knew that was a pipe dream.

I was never that optimistic about Slats signings last year. (I am not even talking about Redden when Streit was available) So actually I think we overachieved last year. AVERY came in!

So far this year I am far more optimistic. Even if Gabby plays only half a season this year, we would be our top scorer of last year. He WILL do better than that.....Jagr/Gravey type season.
Higgins is solid - great signing, Avery will show that he wants to stay long term in NY, Vinny is a smart player in a Straka-esque fashion and he will give Torts everything.
Cally will improve on his last year output and Kotalik is a huge upgrade over Dawes and/or Prucha.

Where we are weaker IMO is on the 4th line where Betts adn Sjo were not adequately replaced. Brash is an upgrade over Orr.

Sad London Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2009, 04:32 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy London Ranger View Post
We were sitting here talking up Naslund even though we all knew he was at the end.
Well, I think most people were hoping for somewhere in the 50 point range. He didn't quite make it there, but I think most of us were being realistic

Quote:
We were hoping Prucha would come back and be his rookie self but we all knew that was a pipe dream.
He never really had much of a chance to do it...he immediately got put on the rotating squad of Fritsche, Rissmiller, and himself, and never got off of it because Renney would play him a game or two and then say "we need size!" and put somoene in the lineup who couldn't score at all

Quote:
So far this year I am far more optimistic. Even if Gabby plays only half a season this year, we would be our top scorer of last year. He WILL do better than that.....Jagr/Gravey type season.
Higgins is solid - great signing, Avery will show that he wants to stay long term in NY, Vinny is a smart player in a Straka-esque fashion and he will give Torts everything.
Cally will improve on his last year output and Kotalik is a huge upgrade over Dawes and/or Prucha.

Where we are weaker IMO is on the 4th line where Betts adn Sjo were not adequately replaced. Brash is an upgrade over Orr.
This still ignores the center problem...the Rangers are definitely weaker at center, but hopefully that's something that can be overcome

Levitate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2009, 05:30 AM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

Send a message via Yahoo to Sad London Ranger
I think Dubi will go in the right direction and follow up on his stellar Playoff performance.

Clearly Prospal in not the playmaker Gomez was but he actually might be more efficient than him. Maybe Less points but a better fit with Gabby or with Kotalik.
He won't mind 3rd line duty if placed there.

Sad London Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote