HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

About Renney

Old
09-08-2009, 12:19 AM
Tad McMikowsky
Retired

vCash: 500
About Renney

Hello Rangers board!

There is a thread on the Oilers board asking about Renney and Quinns coaching style. One poster suggested asking both the respected former teams of both coaches, and I've done the Leafs with Quinn, and I'll be doing the same.

How does he run his game? I heard he's a technical guy. Also, how does he favor vets and kids? What part of the team really excelled when he was around?

Thanks for your time guys.

Tad McMikowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2009, 12:22 AM
rholt168
Hank**3

He is definitely a player's coach who seems to have a great relationship with his players. Both vets and kids alike.

rholt168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2009, 12:43 AM
we want cup
Ants in the Pants

He's very precise. Your guys will probably watch enough video to become licensed film critics.

While he was willing to allow kids into the lineup, it seemed as though if he had any doubt about their level of preparedness, he would rather start a vet in that spot. Obviously the PK performed masterfully, though how much of that was due to the superhuman efforts of one Henrik Lundqvist we won't know for sure until next season. The PK certainly didn't falter much (if at all) under Torts' regime.

At ES, the forwards were very defensively responsible (to a fault, many would argue), and almost never took a risk to create a scoring chance.

we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2009, 12:45 AM
Scotty Hockey

It will be interesting to see how Renney influences the Oilers as he has more of a defensive mentality than Quinn. Like Rholt said, he is definitely a players' coach (which helped doom him here in NY). MSG mic'd him for some games and you could hear him being very positive and trying to teach on the bench. It has to be said that during his tenure the Rangers did get several draft picks started on the road to 'stardom' in Dubi, Cally and Staal. At the same time, he played favourites and often would stick with a failing player that he trusted (Dawes) rather than a mercurial player who he didn't (Prucha). Being reunited with Strudwick should also be good as the veteran will help get Ranney's message out ...

Scotty Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2009, 12:58 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

players coach to a fault unless your name is Petr Prucha. will continue to play players long after they have proved they are incapable of playing a competent game. he doesnt have any kind of accountability in him whatsoever, players get away with murder, on the flip side, the players do seem to genuinely like the guy, which makes them play hard for him.

defensive minded, terrible in game adjustment, mediocre at making lines. horrendous PP, great PK coach. very very good with kids...one of his best aspects was how hes handled the kids outside of Petr Prucha.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2009, 01:19 AM
SomE

It's tough coaching players that can't stay on their feet. I loved Prucha. He gave it his all. But that's not always enough. He lost his touch.

SomE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2009, 02:36 AM
gravey9

Inferno nailed it. Ultimately he may have been too tactical in his approach. Players were tentative at times, perhaps thinking too much.

It was partially an issue of talent, but not completely. Just about every center (except Nylander - who played with Jagr exclusively) that came to the Rangers during Renney's tenure underperformed offensively (Cullen, Rucchin, Drury, Gomez, Dubinsky). His two biggest success stories at center were perhaps Blair Betts and Dom Moore... not exactly known for their scoring prowess.

gravey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2009, 06:27 AM
Ola

Its interesting that under a supposed "defensiveminded coach", to a "fault" according to many, basically all players in NY scored more here then they had in other places at simular age, and the NYR alltime record for pts by a player was broken et c.

We had what many called the best offensive line in the league et c.

What is a fact though is that we with this roster;
Näslund-Gomez-Callahan
Voros-Dubinsky-Zherdev
Dawes-Drury-Prucha
Sjöström-Betts-Orr
Redden-Rozival
Girardi-Staal
Mara-Kalinin,
could not play a run and gun style and be successful against teams like Pittsbrugh, Washington and co. We did not have the offensive power to beat them by trading chances -- and the only way we could win was by beeing defensive.

Well thoose who think we had a option can go ahead and call Renney "defensiveminded", from my point of view I have never understood that argument. Because in my opinion we did not have the offensive firepower to play a run and gun style. I have never for the love of god been able to understand how anyone who watches as much hockey as people do here could argue that back then, and now it looks even more ridiculos.

Yeah sure, somebody looked at the names Chris Drury and Scott Gomez and thought "megastars", but it is a fact that Drury never have scored 70 pts in the NHL, while he have played a ton with guys like Forsberg, Sakic, Iginla and Vanek. Scott Gomez have only once scored 70 pts. He have three 70 seasons (as in 70 pts, not 70-80 pts season and one over 70 pts. Näslund had avg 47.5 pts for two straight years in VAN, Zherdev struggled in Columbus. We were darn small and had no PPQB whatsoever. And we basically had zero puckskill on the team. Only Gomez and Z could transport the puck.

Looking at just the "X's and O's" Tom Renney is one of the most offensive coaches in the league. Before last season he was probably the most offensive coach in the league. We took a lot of risks to keep the puckwithin the team and to always play constructive offensive hockey. That turned guys like Nylander into a star and gave Jagr a chance to rescue his career. After the lockout we had a extremely soft team, no 2nd line center and no PPQB and still played pretty darn well untill JJ went down in G1 against NJD. But after that Slats started taking over more and more and decided to turn the team more into a north-south team. He failed to give Renney the players he needed, and in the end ended up with a pretty horrible roster.

Looking at EDM, I would say for sure that you are a bit heavy with skill on the wing and you are short on skill at center for Renney. Like STL under Murray plays the X and O the same as Renney. Andy McDonald is a prototype Renney/Murray center if you get what I mean. On a line he want one wing with speed, one wing with size and a center who can transport the puck. The wing with speed always leaves the zone early to push the other team back. That opens up a ton of ice for the center. The D's then holds on to the puck in their own end untill the other team is stretched out and Renney's team can transport the puck up ice. So you need D's who can hold on to the puck too. Renney's team forechecks with all 3 guys at first, but the wing with speed is supposed to first force a pass and then drop back ASAP. Renney have always wanted thoose "slave" type of LW's here in NY for example. Marty Straka for example. Someone who goes after the puck really hard but without gooing in and finnishing a check, just forceing a pass, so that he carrys the speed to be able to get back on the backcheck and catch up with the "3rd" guy joining the attack.

When Renney got his team firing on all cylinders we really carried the momentum in NY. Like look at the shots stats from the 07/08 season. For the last 47 games of the season we were only outshot 6 times. Thats pretty amazing stat. Like shots don't tell the whole story, they can go either way, but to play 41 of 47 games without getting outshot definitly says something about the momentum in each game. Especially when we had guys who didn't exactly throw a bunch of pucks at the net. The downside is that we wound up attacking against a collected defense allot. We didn't have the personell always to lock that up. We didn't have size infront of the net. And Renney held back our D's to much for sure.

Last edited by Ola: 09-08-2009 at 06:42 AM.
Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2009, 06:42 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Well thoose who think we had a option can go ahead and call Renney "defensiveminded", from my point of view I have never understood that argument. Because in my opinion we did not have the offensive firepower to play a run and gun style. I have never for the love of god been able to understand how anyone who watches as much hockey as people do here could argue that back then, and now it looks even more ridiculos.
Yeah this is true to an extent. Renney did preach defensive responsibility, and instituted the system of "collapse in front of your goalie to block as many shots as you can" that I see just about every team using these days (I'm not sure if I can credit him completely for bringing that to the league, but the Rangers started doing it the year after the lockout and following that season, I saw a lot more teams start playing the same way, whether by coincidence or not). But he also generally worked with what he had, even if I think he screwed up with that some during last season. He didn't have the personnel to do run and gun, but I think he lost the team by juggling too much, and harping details over instinctual play (I am completely coming to that conclusion on my own so it's entirely like that is wrong)

At any rate, when Renney has players who can play an offensive game, he's given them room to do so. During Jagr's tenure, he was allowed to play his style, along with his linemates, etc.

If a guy can score, Renney will let him score, though I do think he will demand some backchecking as well. And if you turn the puck over at the offensive blueline a lot, you also better be scoring a lot to make up for it

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2009, 07:07 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
Its interesting that under a supposed "defensiveminded coach", to a "fault" according to many, basically all players in NY scored more here then they had in other places at simular age, and the NYR alltime record for pts by a player was broken et c.

Näslund-Gomez-Callahan
Voros-Dubinsky-Zherdev
Dawes-Drury-Prucha
Sjöström-Betts-Orr
Redden-Rozival
Girardi-Staal
Mara-Kalinin,
could not play a run and gun style and be successful against teams like Pittsbrugh, Washington and co. We did not have the offensive power to beat them by trading chances -- and the only way we could win was by beeing defensive.

Yeah sure, somebody looked at the names Chris Drury and Scott Gomez and thought "megastars", but it is a fact that Drury never have scored 70 pts in the NHL, while he have played a ton with guys like Forsberg, Sakic, Iginla and Vanek. Scott Gomez have only once scored 70 pts. He have three 70 seasons (as in 70 pts, not 70-80 pts season and one over 70 pts. Näslund had avg 47.5 pts for two straight years in VAN, Zherdev struggled in Columbus. We were darn small and had no PPQB whatsoever. And we basically had zero puckskill on the team. Only Gomez and Z could transport the puck.

Looking at just the "X's and O's" Tom Renney is one of the most offensive coaches in the league. Before last season he was probably the most offensive coach in the league. We took a lot of risks to keep the puckwithin the team and to always play constructive offensive hockey. That turned guys like Nylander into a star and gave Jagr a chance to rescue his career. After the lockout we had a extremely soft team, no 2nd line center and no PPQB and still played pretty darn well untill JJ went down in G1 against NJD. But after that Slats started taking over more and more and decided to turn the team more into a north-south team. He failed to give Renney the players he needed, and in the end ended up with a pretty horrible roster.

Looking at EDM, I would say for sure that you are a bit heavy with skill on the wing and you are short on skill at center for Renney. Like STL under Murray plays the X and O the same as Renney. Andy McDonald is a prototype Renney/Murray center if you get what I mean. On a line he want one wing with speed, one wing with size and a center who can transport the puck. The wing with speed always leaves the zone early to push the other team back. That opens up a ton of ice for the center. The D's then holds on to the puck in their own end untill the other team is stretched out and Renney's team can transport the puck up ice. So you need D's who can hold on to the puck too. Renney's team forechecks with all 3 guys at first, but the wing with speed is supposed to first force a pass and then drop back ASAP. Renney have always wanted thoose "slave" type of LW's here in NY for example. Marty Straka for example. Someone who goes after the puck really hard but without gooing in and finnishing a check, just forceing a pass, so that he carrys the speed to be able to get back on the backcheck and catch up with the "3rd" guy joining the attack.

When Renney got his team firing on all cylinders we really carried the momentum in NY. Like look at the shots stats from the 07/08 season. For the last 47 games of the season we were only outshot 6 times. Thats pretty amazing stat. Like shots don't tell the whole story, they can go either way, but to play 41 of 47 games without getting outshot definitly says something about the momentum in each game. Especially when we had guys who didn't exactly throw a bunch of pucks at the net. The downside is that we wound up attacking against a collected defense allot. We didn't have the personell always to lock that up. We didn't have size infront of the net. And Renney held back our D's to much for sure.
Excellent analysis, right on target.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2009, 07:53 AM
HAPPY HOUR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post

Näslund-Gomez-Callahan
Voros-Dubinsky-Zherdev
Dawes-Drury-Prucha
Sjöström-Betts-Orr
Redden-Rozival
Girardi-Staal
Mara-Kalinin,

Well done Ola..

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2009, 07:54 AM
Tad McMikowsky
Retired

I'm surprised about hearing he's a players coach (in a good way). I had the general assumption that it was Quinn who was great with hte players and Renney was the one with the X and O's. Its great to hear that though.

The Oilers DO have some skilled, but young centers. Gagner Cogliano (who will be on the wing since he's horrid at faceoffs) and O'Sullivan are all there, but Horcoff is probably the least skilled, but the best two way. That said, he's a good second line centre, not a great first line.

I'm very excited to hear that Renney excels at both ends. This will make for a fun year.

Tad McMikowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2009, 08:01 AM
Levitate

well, hard to say if he "excels" at both ends. I think a large part of his offensive success while Jagr was around was that he could let Jagr do his thing and only ask that Jags backchecked now and then.

Though I think he also does know how to run a more offensive system...he tried for the first couple of weeks with the Rangers last year, and they were forechecking and putting more pressure on than they did for most of the season. Then he decided the team couldn't hack it with that approach, and pulled them back.

Honestly assistant coach is a good place for him to be, at least at the moment. This is me just talking again, but I think he relies more on details and planning than going with instincts at times, and that actually hurt him a bit as a coach. But that's also something I could be completely wrong about

Old
09-08-2009, 08:05 AM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravey9 View Post
Just about every center (except Nylander - who played with Jagr exclusively) that came to the Rangers during Renney's tenure underperformed offensively (Cullen, Rucchin, Drury, Gomez, Dubinsky).
Gomez had one very good offensive season here. The others you mentioned just don't possess outstanding offensive skills no matter who coaches them.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2009, 08:30 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
players coach to a fault unless your name is Petr Prucha. will continue to play players long after they have proved they are incapable of playing a competent game. he doesnt have any kind of accountability in him whatsoever, players get away with murder, on the flip side, the players do seem to genuinely like the guy, which makes them play hard for him.

defensive minded, terrible in game adjustment, mediocre at making lines. horrendous PP, great PK coach. very very good with kids...one of his best aspects was how hes handled the kids outside of Petr Prucha.
The bitter take still? Really?

You really think this was a good assesment in helping out someone understand the mans work or just more of the same vitriol towards someone that you dislike?

To the original poster, see Ola's take on Renney. Fair, accurate, well thought out.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2009, 08:56 AM
94now

Renney is an excellent choice for re-building team. He is able to build an overacheiving team our of average players. He cannot make players to play better, though. He just make them better as a team. Therefore, if team misses quality ingredients he is not able to keep it afloat by force, since he has almost none.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2009, 08:58 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post

Yeah Prucha lit it up once he got away from the evil Renney regime.

09-08-2009, 09:00 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Tom Renny always says the right thing. He's a very smart man. He benefited greatly from Jaromir Jagr taking the Rangers on his back. He got lucky with Lundqvist. He was very good at managing the personalities in the room, or so it seemed when Jagr and Shanny were here. I suspect Jagr and Shanny were such strong leaders, in there own ways, he was smart enough to let them do their jobs...he was real quick to send Aaron Ward packing when he poked the nest though...real quick.

09-08-2009, 09:01 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Yeah Prucha lit it up once he got away from the evil Renney regime.
Well, he at least got playing time.

Regardless of everything else about Renney, he really mishandled Prucha and I'm still annoyed about it. He just did a plain terrible job

Old
09-08-2009, 09:03 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chariot View Post
Tom Renny always says the right thing. He's a very smart man. He benefited greatly from Jaromir Jagr taking the Rangers on his back. He got lucky with Lundqvist. He was very good at managing the personalities in the room, or so it seemed when Jagr and Shanny were here. I suspect Jagr and Shanny were such strong leaders, in there own ways, he was smart enough to let them do their jobs...
This, I love.

Renney "benefitted greatly" from Jagr's resurgence. He also "got lucky" with Lundqvist. No credit there.

What does he get credit for exactly? Ruining Petr Prucha???

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2009, 09:10 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
This, I love.

Renney "benefitted greatly" from Jagr's resurgence. He also "got lucky" with Lundqvist. No credit there.

Yeah, the man earned nothing while here, can you imagine the minds behind this thinking? Just glad I'm not one of them

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2009, 09:20 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
This, I love.

He gets some credit for his X's and O's but he wasnt some kind of genius mastermind. He rode Jagr in 2006, as he should the guy was on fire, and continued to do so even after JJ came down....

Just look at the numbers...its pretty simple. As goes Jagr so went the Rangers.

What happened last year? He was dumbfounded by a team that could not score goals and would not respond to his x's and o's to try to get something going....oh right its Perrys fault because it was all the inept PP...well ultimately its the head coaches fault for not finding the fix...

I liked Renny, but I didnt like that he passed the buck on the PP woes onto Perry. He didnt seem to man up and take charge, and somewhere along the line the team tuned him out completely....

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2009, 09:25 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Ola is the early favorite for post of the year.

I have nothing to add that hasn't been said. I think you'll like having Renney as part of your organization.
Posted via Mobile Device

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2009, 09:39 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chariot View Post
He gets some credit for his X's and O's but he wasnt some kind of genius mastermind. He rode Jagr in 2006, as he should the guy was on fire, and continued to do so even after JJ came down....

Just look at the numbers...its pretty simple. As goes Jagr so went the Rangers.

What happened last year? He was dumbfounded by a team that could not score goals and would not respond to his x's and o's to try to get something going....oh right its Perrys fault because it was all the inept PP...well ultimately its the head coaches fault for not finding the fix...

I liked Renny, but I didnt like that he passed the buck on the PP woes onto Perry. He didnt seem to man up and take charge, and somewhere along the line the team tuned him out completely....
Its reponses like these that turn the Renney discussion into a ****storm every...single...time.

I havent seen one person, not one, try to present Renney as some sort of coaching mastermind/strategy genius. However, I've seen him presented on multiple occassions as a do-nothing/know-nothing pushover. In my opinion, the truth is somewhere in between, although 3 straight playoff appearances and being fired with his team in position for a 4th makes me view him more towards the 'good' than 'mediocre' description.

The bolded part is a complete and total misrepresentation of what went on last year. Renney wasnt particularly 'dumbfounded' by the fact that his forwards couldnt score goals. He realized it and took the team into a more defensive-oriented direction. Me, you, and anyone else would have done the same thing with the collection of stiffs Sather pasted together last year to save our job. The fact that that terrible roster treaded water and held onto a playoff spot through February is a testament in unto itself. When a couple of the particularly gutless players mistakenly thought their talent level deserved a better system, they straight up quit on him. Through it all, I got the sense that Renney was just trying to do what was best for the team and the organization. We'll see if our new coach can do that...but attacking a fan with a waterbottle and subsequently getting suspended for a playoff game is not a good start.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2009, 09:41 AM
Vitto79

Renney is a good coach, he did what he could with the Roster they had hence why they changed so many things upfront for Torts' style. It had to be done

Oilers have tons of good young players with offensive upside. They just need to play better defensively and Renney can help that

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote