HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

WOW! LOOK AT these MAtch-ups!

Closed Thread

Old
04-04-2004, 06:46 PM
Pecalicious

vCash: 500
WOW! LOOK AT these MAtch-ups!

With the looming loss of hockey next season look at the great way we will be going out!

Tampa vs. Isles ...... A good match up for upset I foresee a very surprised NHL as the Isles continue their excellent season record against the bolts and win in 6.

Bos vs. Mon or should we call it Raycroft vs. Theodore! ....with the loss of Thornton Bos is in for a tough close fight but I think Gonchar is due for a big post season
Boston in 6

PHI vs. NJ .......... This PHI team is finally healthy but it's a little to late happens each year and until PHI can prove they can handle NJ trap and react style the edge goes to Broduer

Tor vs. Ott.... Hockey night in Canada is going to explode!!!!!! Sorry OTT but once again you do not get out of the first round Leech,Domi, and Tucker lead Tor to a dirty and cheap 7 game win

and that's just the first round!

Old
04-04-2004, 06:59 PM
Uber Coca

Don't forget the Western Conference, everyone's is capable of winning in the first round, even Nashville.

Old
04-05-2004, 11:32 AM
MotownMadman

Forget everyone is capable of winning, look at the who's playing who.
In the East:
Battle of Ontario
NJ vs Philly (always good)
Boston vs Montreal (great original 6 matchup and rivalry)

In the West:
Detroit vs Nashville (Preds have played the Wings great all year and these teams have the beginnings of a rivalry)
Colorado vs Dallas; San Jose vs St Louis; both these series feature teams that have matched up for some great playoff series in the past 3-4 years!

These should be some GREAT playoffs!

Old
04-05-2004, 12:32 PM
Martin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotownMadman
Forget everyone is capable of winning, look at the who's playing who.
In the East:
Battle of Ontario
NJ vs Philly (always good)
Boston vs Montreal (great original 6 matchup and rivalry)

In the West:
Detroit vs Nashville (Preds have played the Wings great all year and these teams have the beginnings of a rivalry)
Colorado vs Dallas; San Jose vs St Louis; both these series feature teams that have matched up for some great playoff series in the past 3-4 years!

These should be some GREAT playoffs!

Definitely true. I love how the higher-seeded teams don't really hold any advantages.

Boston vs. Montreal - Montreal beat them in 6 in a 1 vs. 8 matchup two years ago. Not much has changed since then, really - Montreal's stocked up more (Souray) while Boston has Raycroft.
Tampa Bay vs. NYI - The Islanders went 3-1-0-0 vs. Tampa Bay this year! They won 3 out of 4! Of course "the regular season doesn't matter when it comes to the playoffs", but still, 3 out of 4 vs. the Lightning ain't too shabbby.
Toronto/Ottawa and NJ/Philly - separated by 1 point each. Flip a coin to pick your winner.
Detroit vs. Nashville - split the season series. Detroit with goaltending questions. Nashville on fire.
St. Louis vs. San Jose - only reason St. Louis choked last time (1 vs. 8 match, lost to Sharks in 7) was because of Turek. Can Osgood do it?!
Vancouver vs. Flames - Canucks have won 6 in a row. Flames have one of the top goalies in the league. Flip a coin.
Colorado vs. Dallas - should be a doozy! Perennial powerhouses, and one of them's going to go home empty handed.

This is shaping up to be one of the best postseasons ever! I think Maggie the monkey over at TSN is going to lead the way in hockey predictions again, at this rate (she'll be on tonight! yay!)

Old
04-05-2004, 12:51 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin
Boston vs. Montreal - Montreal beat them in 6 in a 1 vs. 8 matchup two years ago. Not much has changed since then, really - Montreal's stocked up more (Souray) while Boston has Raycroft.
I'm thinking you're out in left field on this. Montreal's entire team has changed. Back then, the lines looked to be as follows:

Koivu-Perreault-Audette
Zednik-Gilmour-Petrov
Bulis-Juneau-Dackell
Lindsay-Van Allen-Odjick

Currently, the lineup is as follows:

Bulis-Koivu-Zednik
Dagenais-Ribeiro-Ryder
Sundstrom-Dowd-Kovalev
Langdon-Begin-Ward

That's a huge difference. Add in the fact that the defense has far more depth, added a couple high quality defensemen (Souray, Markov) and that's a significantly different team.

Similarly in Boston, the Bruins have added a legitimately top second line with Samsonov, Nylander and Bergeron. The defense has changed dramatically, and Raycroft is new and improved over Dafoe as well.

Significantly different rosters for both teams. I'd say both teams are significantly better as well.

Old
04-05-2004, 12:58 PM
Teezax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8
I'm thinking you're out in left field on this. Montreal's entire team has changed. Back then, the lines looked to be as follows:

Koivu-Perreault-Audette
Zednik-Gilmour-Petrov
Bulis-Juneau-Dackell
Lindsay-Van Allen-Odjick

Currently, the lineup is as follows:

Bulis-Koivu-Zednik
Dagenais-Ribeiro-Ryder
Sundstrom-Dowd-Kovalev
Langdon-Begin-Ward

That's a huge difference. Add in the fact that the defense has far more depth, added a couple high quality defensemen (Souray, Markov) and that's a significantly different team.

Similarly in Boston, the Bruins have added a legitimately top second line with Samsonov, Nylander and Bergeron. The defense has changed dramatically, and Raycroft is new and improved over Dafoe as well.

Significantly different rosters for both teams. I'd say both teams are significantly better as well.
Just Raycroft? How bout Gonchar and Nylander? The Bruins lost that series because of an inhumane effort by Theo, and a lackluster performance by Dafoe. This year the Bruins have the ingredients and will not go down in 6.

Old
04-05-2004, 01:14 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teezax
Just Raycroft? How bout Gonchar and Nylander? The Bruins lost that series because of an inhumane effort by Theo, and a lackluster performance by Dafoe. This year the Bruins have the ingredients and will not go down in 6.
I could've sworn I mentioned those players.

Old
04-05-2004, 02:18 PM
Martin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8
I'm thinking you're out in left field on this. Montreal's entire team has changed.
Okay, scrap what I said about things being similar. I was right when I said Montreal stocked up, at least!

Nylander only put up numbers because of Jagr. Samsonov? Just breathe on him and he'll have an upper-central-lower body injury and be gone 3-5 weeks. Gonchar's a true offensive threat, though, but I forget whether or not the Bruins had Berard two years ago.

Teezax: I agree with you, the Bruins won't go down in 6 this year. Probably in 7.

Old
04-05-2004, 04:09 PM
flyercide

I was just checking out the matchups on NHL.com and was thinking the same thing... what incredible eastern conference matchups we have this year!

Out of all the teams the last one I wanted to see in the first round for the Flyers was NJ. Montreal & Boston fans don't seem to get along very well... nice rivalry there. And I am sure Ottawa/Toronto.. aren't very fond of eachother as well.

Old
04-05-2004, 04:42 PM
cyrisweb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin
Colorado vs. Dallas - should be a doozy! Perennial powerhouses, and one of them's going to go home empty handed.
and I love it! too bad we cann't send em both home after the first round

Old
04-05-2004, 06:55 PM
Shane

Canucks and Flames have always had a great rivalry. Remember 1994 anyone?

This should be an awesome series.

Closed Thread