Kiprusoff backs into the record books

Closed Thread

Old
04-04-2004, 06:19 PM
Troy McClure

vCash: 500
Kiprusoff backs into the record books

Kipper does it

Nice to see him sit it out and earn the record by default. He didn't even start half the games, and instead of winning it by playing, he won it by sitting. Way to go!

Old
04-04-2004, 07:33 PM
Dundalis

No way in hell should that stand after playing in only 38 games. You have to play IMO at least 50 games for your stats to really mean anything in comparison to the top starting netminders. Certainly no way he gets a mention in the Hart or Vezina.

Old
04-04-2004, 11:18 PM
Dallasman

They should have played him. Very cheap move. Yeah, its resting him for the playoffs but he doesn't deserve the record. I mean, he only played 38 games for Pete's sake. Give me a break!!

Old
04-05-2004, 01:02 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Turco's achievements were far superior anyhow. Runner up for the Vezina, got some votes for the Hart, led his team into first place in the West while playing in about 20 more games. I could care less..

Old
04-05-2004, 09:04 AM
Zhackpot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dundalis
No way in hell should that stand after playing in only 38 games. You have to play IMO at least 50 games for your stats to really mean anything in comparison to the top starting netminders. Certainly no way he gets a mention in the Hart or Vezina.
Since when does your opinion determine records?

It's not like the NHL went and conspired to change the rules so Kiprusoff could break Turdco's record. Kipper set it within the confines of the current rules so the record is legit.

How the heck can Kiprusoff not be considered for the Hart.? He is the single biggest reason the Flames made the playoffs. They gave it to Theodore 2 seasons ago and he basically did the same thing Kiprusoff did this year. Play extremely well in the second half of the season. The difference this year, Kiprusoff never got a chance to play until traded to Calgary, the year Theodore won it he was very average until after Christmas. Based on that precident how can they not give it to Kiprusoff?

Old
04-05-2004, 09:12 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhackpot
How the heck can Kiprusoff not be considered for the Hart.?
The league could care less how important you've been, for all they care you've had a 10 game shutoutstreak. You just don't get any consideration when you've played below 40 games. Some backups play more than that. He won't be on the radar, not for Vezina nor the Hart.

Old
04-05-2004, 04:44 PM
fcbarcelona

that's funny MIG, cause Bob McKenzie considers Kipper to be the fifth best Hart candidate!

Old
04-05-2004, 04:46 PM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jericholic19
that's funny MIG, cause Bob McKenzie considers Kipper to be the fifth best Hart candidate!
McKenzie says alot of things.. He also thought Turco would run away with the Hart last season and suprisingly, didn't even finish in the top 10.

Old
04-05-2004, 06:29 PM
Ozy_Flame

Wow....Sour grapes?

Old
04-05-2004, 09:12 PM
FLAMESFAN

vCash: 50
But, he could care less

Old
04-05-2004, 09:38 PM
Dundalis

Im sorry, but when you play less than half your teams games, no way in hell should you get consideration for ANY regular season award, you dont compare to the other top flight goalies who played most of the season for their teams, it is a HUGE injustice to them. There is no chance that Kipprusoff's stats stay at 1.69GAA and 93 save% if he plays the full season. He may have been very important to Calgary for the majority of the 38 games he played, but other players who played the full season, were also important for the majority of games they played, and while Kipprusoff's impact may have been the biggest for that short period of games, others who had a slightly less impact but over a much longer period of games, is equally important, I believe much more so.
Just trying to give an insight into the reasoning.

Old
04-05-2004, 09:43 PM
Dundalis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhackpot
Since when does your opinion determine records?

It's not like the NHL went and conspired to change the rules so Kiprusoff could break Turdco's record. Kipper set it within the confines of the current rules so the record is legit.

How the heck can Kiprusoff not be considered for the Hart.? He is the single biggest reason the Flames made the playoffs. They gave it to Theodore 2 seasons ago and he basically did the same thing Kiprusoff did this year. Play extremely well in the second half of the season. The difference this year, Kiprusoff never got a chance to play until traded to Calgary, the year Theodore won it he was very average until after Christmas. Based on that precident how can they not give it to Kiprusoff?
My opinion DOESNT determine records, that's why Kipprusoff has it. It's an opinion, it doesnt determine anything, expect what I believe is justified.

Old
04-05-2004, 09:51 PM
Dundalis

Just one more thing, Turco had practically the same GAA and Save% as Kipprusoff, same impact, last year, in 17 more games, but barely got a mention in any awards. I doubt they are going to change their methods to accomodate Kipprusoff, who played in much less games. And that is hardly being sour, it's a simple fact.

Old
04-05-2004, 09:58 PM
Ozy_Flame

I'm not sure if the award is strictly based on numerical statistics, but if not, wouldn't you say that Kipper has done more for Calgary this year than Turco for Dallas? I mean, by no stretch is Dallas dominating the Western Conference, and certainly isn't playing as good as they have in the past. If this award is all about being an MVP for the benefit of your team, then Kipper gets that nod easily.

Old
04-05-2004, 10:54 PM
Chaos

Send a message via MSN to Chaos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame
I'm not sure if the award is strictly based on numerical statistics, but if not, wouldn't you say that Kipper has done more for Calgary this year than Turco for Dallas? I mean, by no stretch is Dallas dominating the Western Conference, and certainly isn't playing as good as they have in the past. If this award is all about being an MVP for the benefit of your team, then Kipper gets that nod easily.
Without Turco, the Stars are somewhere near the Ovechkin lottery...we dont have a 41 goal superstar forward on this team.

Old
04-06-2004, 01:03 AM
Heathen

Send a message via ICQ to Heathen Send a message via AIM to Heathen Send a message via MSN to Heathen Send a message via Yahoo to Heathen
Quote:
we dont have a 41 goal superstar forward on this team.
You did.... you traded him to us

Old
04-06-2004, 03:27 AM
Dundalis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame
I was comparing Kipprusoff this year to Turco last year. When Dallas was 1st in the Western Conference. Turco definately did more. This year it is hard to say. Though I have to agree somewhat with Starsfan09, take a look how bad we were, out of the playoffs at the beginning of the season. Not a coincidence that Turco was playing poorly at the time, and as soon as he turned it on, we started to race back up the standings and well in playoff contention. I'm willing to bet that Turco gets considered higher than Kipprusoff for the Vezina.

Old
04-06-2004, 03:42 AM
Bandwagoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy McClure
Kipper does it

Nice to see him sit it out and earn the record by default. He didn't even start half the games, and instead of winning it by playing, he won it by sitting. Way to go!
First of all,before you unload on me I must tell you that Turco is indeed my favorite goalie in the league, but don't get down on Kipper. Do you honestly think that the Ducks would have scored enough goals on Kipper to cause him to lose the record??? Now personally, I think most records are a waste of time, this one included, as the game has become a lot more defensive minded, and its more of a team accomplishment than Kipper alone, but I highly doubt that one game would of changed anything. However, it's easy to call out Kippers lack of playing time, but was that really his fault??? I hardly believe it's Kipper calling the shots in the Flames dressing room with Sutter. And lastly, Turek needed (and deserved) to get that last game. Heaven forbid Kipper goes down in the playoffs, Turek needs to be sharp.

Old
04-06-2004, 06:54 AM
Dundalis

Most of us arent saying one game would make a difference. More all the games he didnt play. No its not his fault we arent blaming Kipprusoff the player or person, simply saying regardless of fault, that because he played such limited games, he should not be put in the same category as the other top flight goalies who played most the full season. Now if there were a backup goalie award, he would be the runaway winner no doubt.

Old
04-06-2004, 08:47 AM
Troy McClure

Actually, all I am complaining about is the one game he didn't play. Injuries can't be helped, and they shouldn't take away from him or anyone else's accomplishments. But it is lame to not play a guy with such an important record in hand. Would he have given up the three goals needed to put him above Turco? I doubt it, but who knows.

To me when a record like that is on the line, you should go out and earn it instead of sitting on the bench to get it.

Old
04-06-2004, 11:14 AM
Starsdude

You should have to play at least half your team's games. Period.

Old
04-06-2004, 02:04 PM
Flames Draft Watcher

Would you have been upset if Sutter had rested Kipper in the 2nd last game of the season and then played him in the final game? If you wouldn't have been upset then there's no point being upset with how it worked out. He played one of the last two games, only let in 2 goals and maintained the record.

But go ahead and whine if it makes you feel better.

Old
04-06-2004, 05:08 PM
Archangel972

Wow, I haven't posted here in a loooong time but I felt compelled to respond to this. I honestly don't have a problem with Kiprusoff not playing the final game. Winning in the playoffs is more important than a record. The Flames needed him for the postseason and so they decided not to risk an injury to him in a meaningless game. If I'm not mistaken, the Flames had a chance to get the #5 seed but only if Dallas lost and Calgary won. Seeing as how the Stars were facing a terrible team with Chicago, Sutter decided not to take a chance.

With that said, I don't think Kipurscoff deserves the record since he didn't play enough games. It's still a great accomplishment and he is a big reason why Calgary is in the postseason. Nevertheless, Turco played far more games last year (and would've played more if it hadn't been for injuries) and did enough to get the record. The defense of the Stars was good, but not great IMO. This year, the defense has been very shakey and yet, Turco has been a MAJOR reason why Dallas rebounded from a terrible start to be the 5th seed. Turco deserves to keep the record and furthermore, deserves more recognition than Kiprusoff this season. Those are my 2 cents.

Old
04-10-2004, 12:35 PM
CaramonFLM

Before you go off about all this crap about how Kipper got the record by sitting, you must first take into consideration that he was injured for 6-7 weeks midway through the season, and also did not start the season with the Flames.

That being said if you are going to fault Kipper for only playing 38 Games, stow it because Turco playing only 55 is just about the same... in my opinion you should be playing 65 if you really want to get techinical... both had injury problems so whatever if you wanna cry about that - go ahead.

In response to the BS you posted troy... Turek was going to start one more game at the end of the season would you rather he start it vs LA or the ducks... LA is clearly the better team, the game in which he started.

Also saying some backups play 40 games? I call bullcrap no backup goalie plays 40 games unless the start has a major injury.

Also here are the other Flames Goalies who played this season: Tell me who ment more to his team before you spew BS.

18 6 11 0 (Turek)
26 12 9 3 (McLennen)
38 24 10 4 (Kipper)

Kipper deserves a TON more recognition than Turco IMO because compare those records... definately he was the one to bail out the Flames when they needed it the most.

Dallas is a Stacked team on the worst of Days considering you have some very good forwards (1st liners like Modano, Lehtonen, Guerin, Tuergeon, Arnott, Morrow) - where as the only True first Liner that the Flames have is Iginla (who I will admit is loads ahead of anyone in that group, but there is no doubt you have loads more depth) and Maaaybe Conroy.

There is no doubt Team Defense and a good goalie ment more to the Flames than the Stars. Period.

Old
04-10-2004, 12:48 PM
Chaos

Send a message via MSN to Chaos
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaramonFLM
Before you go off about all this crap about how Kipper got the record by sitting, you must first take into consideration that he was injured for 6-7 weeks midway through the season, and also did not start the season with the Flames.

That being said if you are going to fault Kipper for only playing 38 Games, stow it because Turco playing only 55 is just about the same... in my opinion you should be playing 65 if you really want to get techinical... both had injury problems so whatever if you wanna cry about that - go ahead.

In response to the BS you posted troy... Turek was going to start one more game at the end of the season would you rather he start it vs LA or the ducks... LA is clearly the better team, the game in which he started.

Also saying some backups play 40 games? I call bullcrap no backup goalie plays 40 games unless the start has a major injury.

Also here are the other Flames Goalies who played this season: Tell me who ment more to his team before you spew BS.

18 6 11 0 (Turek)
26 12 9 3 (McLennen)
38 24 10 4 (Kipper)

Kipper deserves a TON more recognition than Turco IMO because compare those records... definately he was the one to bail out the Flames when they needed it the most.

Dallas is a Stacked team on the worst of Days considering you have some very good forwards (1st liners like Modano, Lehtonen, Guerin, Tuergeon, Arnott, Morrow) - where as the only True first Liner that the Flames have is Iginla (who I will admit is loads ahead of anyone in that group, but there is no doubt you have loads more depth) and Maaaybe Conroy.

There is no doubt Team Defense and a good goalie ment more to the Flames than the Stars. Period.
How can you say 39 games and 55 games is the same? Thats a 16 game difference. If I remember correctly, Kiprusoff had like a 1.48 GAA through like 20 games, and it has been steadily going up ever since. As for listing all the Stars 'star' players, none of them except for Morrow was showing up for the first 60 games of the season, and Modano and Lehtinen have basically yet to show up all season.

Closed Thread