HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

TSN has the Kings ranked 23rd overall

Old
09-08-2009, 11:45 AM
Zizou
Dont Mix Your Drinks

vCash: 500
TSN has the Kings ranked 23rd overall

http://tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?id=11926

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=290384

http://tsn.ca/columnists/?id=290363

Their projected depth chart:

Alexander Frolov - Anze Kopitar - Justin Williams
Ryan Smyth - Jarret Stoll - Dustin Brown
Oscar Moller - Michal Handzus - Wayne Simmonds
Raitis Ivanans - Brad Richardson - Teddy Purcell

Andrei Loktionov Trevor Lewis John Zeiler

Drew Doughty
Jack Johnson
Rob Scuderi
Matt Greene
Sean O'Donnell
Peter Harrold
Thomas Hickey
Colten Teubert

Jonathan Quick
Erik Ersberg
Jonathan Bernier

Zizou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2009, 11:57 AM
not tellin*

sounds about right. thought they should have added more about quick.

kopitar > quick > johnson are the most important factors to our success/turn around this year assuming that everyone else knows their roll and keeps up what they did last year.

not tellin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2009, 12:12 PM
kingsfan25

That assessment was a little too focused on PR for my tastes. However, it's tough to argue with the ranking...even though I think they very well could be better, this group is still entirely unproven.

kingsfan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2009, 12:12 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
I read that this morning and agree. Ahead of only Colorado and Phonenix in the West.

The Tikkanen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2009, 01:22 PM
ean

The middle pack of teams in the west (6-12) are very, very competitive. Remember last years playoffs? I think this team has made some nice improvements but is still largely unproven, so given that, the 13th spot in the west is not that far fetched. My personal opinion is that the Kings will finish better than Edmonton and Dallas

ean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2009, 01:55 PM
Knight of the Realm
Heart & Soul

Quick is by far the most important piece to the puzzle right now. If he can continue to improve on his impressive rookie year the kings could be a big time dark horse. Gonna be alot of close games and a long hard battle but that's why you play the games and not worry about what some hockey writer puts down on paper.

Knight of the Realm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2009, 02:02 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by ean View Post
The middle pack of teams in the west (6-12) are very, very competitive. Remember last years playoffs? I think this team has made some nice improvements but is still largely unproven, so given that, the 13th spot in the west is not that far fetched. My personal opinion is that the Kings will finish better than Edmonton and Dallas
Dallas is certainly a question mark but they get Morrow back. Losing Zubov set that team back years last season and now he's off to Russia. They had some young guys on D step up but none of them are the caliber of Zubov. They also get Richards back at 100% and are stacked down the middle with Ribierio, Richards, Modano and Ott which gives Crawford the option to move Modano to wing. Lehtinen has also missed a ton of time the last 2 years, they have Eriksson and Brunstromm on wing, both 24 years old, still with tons of upside. Niskanen and Daley both in their early 20's give the Stars good puck movement from the bluline along with veteran Robidas. And then they brought in Alex Auld in case Turco doesn't get his game back. They look like a pretty good team to me on paper. They have some young guys and some veterans who are still playing at a high level. They have dmen who put up points and Turco can return to form. I see the stars as one of those bubble teams to make the playoffs. They need a few things to go right for them to get back into the playoffs but I don't see them as worse than the Kings. And the Oilers should be better just with the addition of Khabibulin over Dwayne Roloson. I think the Oilers make the playoffs this season.

The Tikkanen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2009, 02:55 PM
JDM

I think Dallas is better than us on paper, but I don't think that will matter much once the season gets going. I say we are a better team then they are as we are a team on the rise and they are a team on the decline as I see it. I have no faith that Turco will 'return to form', a trip that is just getting longer and longer for him to make. It really could go either way for them, but I'm betting that way is down.

I also think Nashville gets too much credit. They are in much the same boat we are, hoping that their fresh netminder has a repeat performance. In that regard, I also think we are much better offensively than they are this year and defensively just as good. I think on paper we are much better than Nashville, and that the only thing they have going for them over us is Trotz. However, if TM improves this year and the team is more comfortable with him, I think that advantage can be washed out as well.

Edmonton isn't much better than us either. Talk about a soft team. Too much rests on Khabi's shoulders. He can step up in the playoffs, but the season is long and Bulin is old. I'm also not expecting much from Gagner and Cogliano, and certainly not from O'Sullivan. They also did nothing this offseason to replace the holes they admit were left with the departure of Stoll and Greene. That was a big gripe from their fans and media last season, and they didn't really address it. They better hope Peckham or Chorney are ready for full time duty.

I guess the ranking isn't too unfair, but I feel it is primarily based on past performance and not anticipation of future success. The writer is too afraid to move any one team too far from where they finished last year, and we all know last year's finish means nothing in regards to this coming year's finish. I think expected improvement from the youngsters and adding Smyth and Scuderi bump us farther than just being better than Phoenix.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2009, 05:55 PM
TonySCV
3 in 5 > 3 in 6

23rd isn't too bad considering the season hasn't started yet.

- T

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2009, 06:22 PM
DeeMeck

The reason why we are always ranked so low is because people don't know enough about Quick.

If our netminder was a name...like maybe Khabibulin, we would be ranked considerable higher IMO.

DeeMeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2009, 06:26 PM
sweatypickle

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeMeck View Post
The reason why we are always ranked so low is because people don't know enough about Quick.

If our netminder was a name...like maybe Khabibulin, we would be ranked considerable higher IMO.
no one knows enough about Quick... that's the pickle...

sweatypickle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2009, 06:29 PM
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!

Is everybody really going to be satisfied with ANOTHER lottery pick and no playoffs?

PSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2009, 06:32 PM
kingsholygrail
You Face Jaraxxus!

Meh. Hard for me to oppose any low ranking of the Kings.

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2009, 06:33 PM
Holden Caulfield
Global Moderator
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeMeck View Post

I think that this is true. People still tell me we need a true #1 before we can compete, then go and claim Edmonton is set because they have Khabby. Over the course of a 82 game season, I'll take Quick on talent alone at this point in there careers, IMO. Plus Ersberg and Bernier are going to push him all season so we'll be alright. The question is still can we score enough (Brown, Kopitar, WILLIAMS need to improve on last season), is Doughty a #1 and can defense move the puck or score outside of Doughty. I don't know. But I think JDM is right on on his analysis. I think we get to 9th-11th spot this year.

Holden Caulfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2009, 06:34 PM
Holden Caulfield
Global Moderator
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSP View Post
Is everybody really going to be satisfied with ANOTHER lottery pick and no playoffs?
No. But I expect it.

Holden Caulfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2009, 06:36 PM
Brodeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSP View Post
No, I think everybody just isn't overreacting to what amounts to a preseason power ranking. I remember a couple years ago, TSN had the Devils at #21 and this was after winning the division. The Devils quietly repeated as division champs.

Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2009, 06:42 PM
Pucknut50

23rd pft...I rank us 15th overall - We will beat out:
Avs, Yotes, Jackets, Stars, Blues, Oilers, and the Wild, to make the playoffs.
Go Kings Go... Go Kings Go....

Pucknut50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2009, 06:56 PM
Zad
HFB Partner

Q: "So Dean, TSN recently ranked the Kings as 23rd overall. You had previously said that the playoffs were an expectation this season. How do you feel about the TSN ranking?

A: "What the **** is a TSN?"

Zad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2009, 07:00 PM
Captain Ron

I think I would put the Kings in the top 20 at the minimum. If they do in fact get another top 10 pick in next year's draft Dean will be sweating bullets. Not only because it will be his 4th year of no playoffs, but because it will be with a significantly higher roster payroll. The Kings payroll this year will be about $51 million. That is about $10 million more than last season. I think with a 24% increase in money paid that AEG is going to expect significant improvement.

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2009, 07:04 PM
Zad
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Ron View Post
I think I would put the Kings in the top 20 at the minimum. If they do in fact get another top 10 pick in next year's draft Dean will be sweating bullets. Not only because it will be his 4th year of no playoffs, but because it will be with a significantly higher roster payroll. The Kings payroll this year will be about $51 million. That is about $10 million more than last season. I think with a 24% increase in money paid that AEG is going to expect significant improvement.
We would become the Walmart of the NHL.

Need aging veterans? We got it!
Need decent top 6 forwards? We got it!
Need unproven players under 23? We got them in the boatloads!
Need a solid Russian left winger? He's on sale!!
Need draft picks? We got plenty and they are priced to go!

Zad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2009, 07:08 PM
JDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zad View Post
We would become the Walmart of the NHL.

Need aging veterans? We got it!
Need decent top 6 forwards? We got it!
Need unproven players under 23? We got them in the boatloads!
Need a solid Russian left winger? He's on sale!!
Need draft picks? We got plenty and they are priced to go!
All we need now is some cheap crap from Japan. Where's Fukufuji when you need him?

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2009, 07:14 PM
Chruceg

The problem I have with all preseason rankings is that they are all based on the previous season and the off-season. While there is some predictive value of the previous season and estimations of how free agents/trades will perform in new environments by and large the predictions remain educated guesses at best. No matter how much logic and analysis goes into these predictions they are completely unable to predict injuries, breakout seasons, and player regressions.

If anyone wanted to, they could make an argument against the place of any team being incorrectly placed by five spots or more.

Personally I'll look at the Kings record last year that lacked Smyth and Scuderi, that forced us to sit through a half season of Labarbera, and only gave us half a season of Johnson and predict an increase of 10-15 points. I also think that a healthy Lehtonen, a fired up Kovalchuk, along with Nik Antropov's break out season will propel Atlanta to the playoffs.

... ... ...

See anybody can do it. And before anyone gets all uppity the predictions are tongue in cheek.

Chruceg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2009, 03:00 AM
ean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
Dallas is certainly a question mark but they get Morrow back. Losing Zubov set that team back years last season and now he's off to Russia. They had some young guys on D step up but none of them are the caliber of Zubov. They also get Richards back at 100% and are stacked down the middle with Ribierio, Richards, Modano and Ott which gives Crawford the option to move Modano to wing. Lehtinen has also missed a ton of time the last 2 years, they have Eriksson and Brunstromm on wing, both 24 years old, still with tons of upside. Niskanen and Daley both in their early 20's give the Stars good puck movement from the bluline along with veteran Robidas. And then they brought in Alex Auld in case Turco doesn't get his game back. They look like a pretty good team to me on paper. They have some young guys and some veterans who are still playing at a high level. They have dmen who put up points and Turco can return to form. I see the stars as one of those bubble teams to make the playoffs. They need a few things to go right for them to get back into the playoffs but I don't see them as worse than the Kings. And the Oilers should be better just with the addition of Khabibulin over Dwayne Roloson. I think the Oilers make the playoffs this season.
I agree with all of that, especially about the quality Dallas has on their team. But I just have a tough time believing they will have as much of a turnaround from their record last year. So call it a stretch, but I have the Kings edging them out.

ean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2009, 01:49 PM
Zizou
Dont Mix Your Drinks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chruceg View Post
The problem I have with all preseason rankings is that they are all based on the previous season and the off-season. While there is some predictive value of the previous season and estimations of how free agents/trades will perform in new environments by and large the predictions remain educated guesses at best. No matter how much logic and analysis goes into these predictions they are completely unable to predict injuries, breakout seasons, and player regressions.
True.

The problem with predictions is that they rely on expectations. When's the last time the season went exactly how you expected league-wide? Last season, I expected Dallas to build from their season prior and contend for the Division. That didn't happen (largely due to injuries). I didn't expect New Jersey, Carolina or Calgary to be anywhere as good as they were. Hell, I thought St. Louis' season was over when EJ ripped his knee. Expectations & predictions are all moot points once the season starts. Who cares. Drop the *** puck already!

Zizou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2009, 03:40 PM
santiclaws

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Natural View Post
True.

The problem with predictions is that they rely on expectations. When's the last time the season went exactly how you expected league-wide? Last season, I expected Dallas to build from their season prior and contend for the Division. That didn't happen (largely due to injuries). I didn't expect New Jersey, Carolina or Calgary to be anywhere as good as they were. Hell, I thought St. Louis' season was over when EJ ripped his knee. Expectations & predictions are all moot points once the season starts. Who cares. Drop the *** puck already!
Predictions are BS, but that's all they are ever intended to be. No one cares after the season if the pre-season predictions were accurate (and for the most part they never are). They mean absolutely nothing and are just there for discussion purposes. So this prediction has fulfilled its purpose.

santiclaws is offline   Reply With Quote