HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Boots Del Biaggio gets 8 Years in Prison...

Old
09-08-2009, 03:38 PM
Decker

vCash: 500
Boots Del Biaggio gets 8 Years in Prison...

Source: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=290401

Quote:
William (Boots) Del Biaggio III was sentenced Tuesday in San Francisco. He pleaded guilty earlier this year to a felony charge of forging financial documents to obtain US$110 million in loans from several banks and two NHL owners.
Just broke through now. Not sure how much of an interest he held in the franchise, but it seems interesting enough with things like Balsillie having his character brought into question when current owners are serving hard time

Any thoughts from the hometown on this?

Decker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2009, 03:44 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Source: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=290401

Just broke through now. Not sure how much of an interest he held in the franchise, but it seems interesting enough with things like Balsillie having his character brought into question when current owners are serving hard time

Any thoughts from the hometown on this?
First of all, while I will concede that the BoG has brought in some shady characters over the years, their indiscretions and bad faith maneuvers generally didn't come out until well after they were already owners, whereas Balsillie has negotiated in bad faith on a consistent basis and seems intent on strong-arming his way into the NHL.

Second of all, nobody cares about del Biaggio anymore.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2009, 06:15 PM
lightning_legwand*

its kind of weird that bettman would take a crook over a very successful businessman in Balsillie who had also offered 50 million more.

Another great move by our commissioner....

FIRE HIM!!!!!!!!!

lightning_legwand* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2009, 06:20 PM
OpenWheel

I should have figured lightningleg would show up in the thread stumping for the move the team guy. lol

Boots lied and committed fraud to get his ownership piece, and was a small part of the group anyway. And the group from the start said they'd stay in Nashville. Balsillie lied and tried end runs around the NHL strategy before he was even an owner. His lies were caught before he was an owner. The biggest difference.

I'm not one who feels Balsille couldn't be an owner. But he seems to have stepped on the wrong toes. And neither of these two guys are Nashville's problem anymore.

OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2009, 06:44 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Additionally, Boots was already an NHL owner prior to his stake in the Predators. He served as a minority owner of the San Jose Sharks for several years prior to partnering with Freeman's group...

Personally, I think the sentence is too light unless he spends those 8 years in an actual prison and not some scaled down country club for rich folks living on ill-gotten gains. I remember reading at the start of the summer that Boots had hired a prison consultant who specialized in getting their customers (felons) into the "right situation" for the duration of their stay...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2009, 10:24 PM
lightning_legwand*

Do you think that Bettman could have investigated better, especially after making Leipold sell for 50 mill less??

I am not wanting this team to move, I just want A TEAM in Hamilton. That is sooo close to where I live, its like less than half hour.
How could Jim not be an owner??? The manager runs things, he tosses him huge money, how could Balsillie not do it?? lol

Old
09-09-2009, 12:48 AM
predfan24

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightning_legwand View Post
Do you think that Bettman could have investigated better, especially after making Leipold sell for 50 mill less??
l
He didn't "make" Leipold do anything. Stop taking all these pro relocation fanboys words as facts all the time. Ballsillie would not enter a binding agreement with Leipold. So after his second under handed attempt to snatch up a franchise and move it failed he backed off and the new ownership came in.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2009, 06:48 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:

I am not wanting this team to move, I just want A TEAM in Hamilton. That is sooo close to where I live, its like less than half hour.
How could Jim not be an owner??? The manager runs things, he tosses him huge money, how could Balsillie not do it?? lol
Did you not read the depositions Leipold made about his experience with Balsillie, about a month ago? No one "made" Leipold do anything. Balsillie\Rodier turned the sale into a circus act, negotiated in bad faith, and actually tried to SABOTAGE the team in Nashville.

That's your hero, huh?

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2009, 07:21 AM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

Quote:
If you want a team in Hamilton write a letter to Baldy since he's your hero after all and tell him to stop being such a jackass. If he had gone about this the right way he might actually have a team, or be one of the first in line for expansion. But no, he's not only **** over one team, he's done it to several teams.

Hell, as long as we're asking for what we want: I want an NHL team in Taiwan. But that's about as likely as Baldy getting a team himself.

golfmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2009, 07:53 AM
Jarnberg

Boots was approved long before the fraud, when he was a minority owner of the Sharks.
Boots wasn't investigated as much as a Predators owner since he was already an owner. The way you guys are talking, it is like everyone knew he was a fraud and the NHL took him anyway. Judging by all the other companies he fooled, the NHL wasn't the only one.

As for Boots, that sentence seems kind of light. Regardless, him being out of the Nashville ownership group is a good thing, as his only goal was for the team to fail and move the team.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2009, 07:54 AM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfmade View Post
If you want a team in Hamilton write a letter to Baldy since he's your hero after all and tell him to stop being such a jackass. If he had gone about this the right way he might actually have a team, or be one of the first in line for expansion. But no, he's not only **** over one team, he's done it to several teams.
All he had to do was put down a binding agreement with Leipold and he'd own the Predators right now, assuming some of the owners (who, unlike Bettman, can vote on ownership changes) voted for him, unlike the recent vote in Phoenix.

Anyway, why are we discussing Balsillie again?

Old
09-09-2009, 06:18 PM
lightning_legwand*

lmao! Man u guys are sooo easily agitated, its like feeding candy to a baby sometimes I tell ya!

1.When did I said Balsillie was my hero??

2. Are you that immature you have to call him bald sillie because he has no hair? lol

3. I am not saying that I "AGREE" with how he has handled everything, I just said I love his idea of putting a team in Hamilton.

Now guys, is that sooo hard to comprehend???

Old
09-09-2009, 07:31 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
lmao! Man u guys are sooo easily agitated, its like feeding candy to a baby sometimes I tell ya!

1.When did I said Balsillie was my hero??

2. Are you that immature you have to call him bald sillie because he has no hair? lol

3. I am not saying that I "AGREE" with how he has handled everything, I just said I love his idea of putting a team in Hamilton.

Now guys, is that sooo hard to comprehend???
The problem is that any proposal involving Balsillie is not going to be well received in general and likely around here in particular because of what the guy's done. He's kind of treated NHL owners as being not just on-ice competition, but also business competition, and said owners obviously don't like that. (I could go into more detail, but I'm probably hijacking enough as is. )

Personally, I'm open to the idea of a team in Hamilton, and I suspect the same is true of more than a few folks here... but I don't want Ballsillie as an owner unless he learns to clean up his act, and I currently despair of him ever doing so.

And on a different but still related tangent - what became of Boots' shares? Did that Calgary-area guy with the Nashville connections pick them up as expected, or is there still stuff going on there?

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2009, 08:08 PM
lightning_legwand*

Whats the worst case scenario is Balsillie gets a team??? What is the absolute worst thing he could do???

Old
09-10-2009, 07:41 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

[QUOTE=Viqsi;21031587]
Personally, I'm open to the idea of a team in Hamilton, and I suspect the same is true of more than a few folks here... but I don't want Ballsillie as an owner unless he learns to clean up his act, and I currently despair of him ever doing so.
[QUOTE][/B][/B]

This^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
And on a different but still related tangent - what became of Boots' shares? Did that Calgary-area guy with the Nashville connections pick them up as expected, or is there still stuff going on there?
[/B][/B]

Still in court, supposed handhsake deal in place with Brett Wilson.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 07:55 AM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
Still in court, supposed handhsake deal in place with Brett Wilson.
Coolness.

And on yet another total side note (this one relating to Balsillie), I think y'all might find this amusing. We certainly have.
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2009/...ean_balsillie/
(associated CBJ board thread)

Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 07:57 AM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Coolness.

And on yet another total side note (this one relating to Balsillie), I think y'all might find this amusing. We certainly have.
Further proof that Balsillie is an idiot.

Old
09-10-2009, 08:02 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
Further proof that Balsillie is an idiot.
Wow, just wow.......

Old
09-10-2009, 08:14 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:
Now I want him to get a team.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 09:15 AM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

Quote:
Whats the worst case scenario is Balsillie gets a team??? What is the absolute worst thing he could do???
Set a precedent whereby in the future some rich American or Russian buys a team (maybe even a Canadian team?) and moves them somewhere else.

If Balsillie goes about it this way, and gets his way in this manner, what's to stop a KHL owner from buying a team and say, using it as they see fit?

But silly me (and the NFL, NBA and MLB) for seeing the long term implications from what Balsillie is attempting to do and how he's going about doing it.

golfmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 11:43 AM
Gnashville
Playoff losers

Quote:
He set a president where any team can move at anytime, where lease agreements mean nothing, and fans get no chance to save their teams. If he's winning then everyone else loses. Also he would sue to not be obligated to adhere to the salary cap or pay into revenue sharing.

Quote:
Del Biaggio pleaded guilty to one charge of forging financial documents to obtain $110 million in loans from several banks and two NHL owners -- Craig Leopold of the Minnesota Wild and Los Angeles Kings owner AEG. Del Biaggio used the money to purchase a controlling interest in the Nashville Predators.
Since when did he ever have control of the team??? Gotta love the unbiased Canadian Press

Gnashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 01:44 PM
Big Daddy

The NHL slammed him by saying he has character and integrity issues. Could there be anything worse for a businessman to be called? Who would want to do business with anyone that is publicly known to have these issues?

In other words, when Jim signs a contract it means nothing. A contract can't possibly cover every situation that could possibly happen between the parties. When you deal with fair and reasonable people these issues can be worked out without lawsuits. When dealing with unethical people anything can be used as a reason to break the contract. Based on what is publicly known about him, why would anyone want to sign a contract with him requiring him to keep a team where it is when the first chance he gets he tries to break it?

Big Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 02:16 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy View Post
The NHL slammed him by saying he has character and integrity issues. Could there be anything worse for a businessman to be called? Who would want to do business with anyone that is publicly known to have these issues?

In other words, when Jim signs a contract it means nothing. A contract can't possibly cover every situation that could possibly happen between the parties. When you deal with fair and reasonable people these issues can be worked out without lawsuits. When dealing with unethical people anything can be used as a reason to break the contract. Based on what is publicly known about him, why would anyone want to sign a contract with him requiring him to keep a team where it is when the first chance he gets he tries to break it?

So think Alexander Radulov.

Old
09-10-2009, 04:06 PM
Big Daddy

Too bad about him, I have to think the Pred's management knew of no existing character issues or they would not have drafted him.

Big Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 04:48 PM
Gnashville
Playoff losers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy View Post

Which is exactly what happened. If you read Leipold's (who I'm starting to forgive) deposition, Baldy started negotiations in Hamilton almost the next day after signing the contract stating he was buying as is where is. Then he and Rotten-eh starting revising the contract and threatened Leipold in a meeting weeks later if he didn't sign the new contract. He lying scum. In his deposition he stated that he helped rally support for the team in Nashville, and was going to own it here indefinitely if necessary, when he was still taking season ticket deposits and was planning on suing the city and moving the team in the middle of the night.

Gnashville is offline   Reply With Quote