HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mike Gillis Interview 15 June 2010

Old
06-15-2010, 11:20 PM
Wetcoaster

vCash: 500
Mike Gillis Interview 15 June 2010

Mike Gillis was on Pratt and Taylor today:
http://www.teamradio.ca/contentfiles...d%20Taylor.mp3

Here is a summary:

Tomorrow's announcement in Penticton:
More than just concerning training camp - the Canucks will be announcing something new and it involves some other teams (sounds like maybe a tournament of some sort?).

On moving training camps around province:

It's great, let's us help minor hockey and lets other communities get to see the players in practises and scrimmages. The players get out and meet the people in these smaller communities. It lets more people get closer to the team, players and staff that would not otherwise be able to do. He has seen the photos of the new rink and he is impressed, thinks this will be great experience. A number of Canucks staff including Gilman have been up there to check out all the facilities and came back with glowing reports. Having camp outside of Vancouver makes it more special for the players. It is a more relaxed setting and the players really enjoy it.

Re-Signing Aaron Rome
Signed last year as a free agent depth defenceman who did not play a lot at the beginning of the year. He then played and got better and better as the season went on. He is a late developer - good size, good hockey sense, skates well. Need players on the roster who can play minutes in a lot of different situations that are reasonably priced.

Alex Burrows shoulder surgery
The surgery was serious. The surgeons are very optimistic that he'll be very close, if not ready for training camp. Alex is a hard worker and he's begun the rehab process and optimistic that he will be ready. In the event he isn't, it will be very close. The extent of the damage was not known until the surgeons got in and saw how bad the tear was. Even knowing this would not have done things differently. He was playing through the pain and contributing (very effective down the stretch) although he was not as good offensively in the play-offs but play-off hockey is like that. Alex still did a lot of other things well including the PK.

Other signings before July 1?
Mason Raymond and Shane O'Brien are the two he is looking at but they are Group 2 RFA. Need to come to a decision about Wellwood and maybe a couple of others but most locked up. See how the Draft progresses and if anything comes up there and then head into free agency. May come to terms with a couple of others but not a priority.

Free Agency
Plans to be active and push for deals if they are there. If there is a chance to improve the team through free agency then absolutely going to do it. It will be an interesting time as there are teams with cap issues out there. Has had a lot of discussions with a lot of teams about different scenarios and how teams will fit under the cap. It will be an interesting summer. (sounds like he has Gilman working on the numbers for other teams)

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 12:16 AM
JonnyCash

Cool thanks for posting that.. I missed it.

JonnyCash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 12:44 AM
Tiranis

Thanks Wetcoaster, didn't even know about this. Really curious about the announcement tomorrow.

Tiranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 01:02 AM
CCF23

Send a message via MSN to CCF23
Hmmmm...Sounds like SOB might be back after all.

CCF23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 02:15 AM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF23 View Post
Hmmmm...Sounds like SOB might be back after all.
Until Gillis calls and says come on down and climb on the scales - then we will talk contract.

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 02:30 AM
alternate

anyone think Gillis's response on free agents is a bad sign for Hansen?

alternate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 02:50 AM
eldiablo17

Quote:
Originally Posted by alternate View Post
I think Hansen is a guy we'll see Gillis dangle in a trade. Good two way player, has put up respectable numbers for being so low on the depth chart and still young and cheap. Could be low risk pick up for a rebuilding team in exchange for a veteran.

eldiablo17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 02:58 AM
CCF23

Send a message via MSN to CCF23
It's gonna be a fun offseason for us this year.

CCF23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 02:59 AM
alternate

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldiablo17 View Post
I think Hansen is a guy we'll see Gillis dangle in a trade. Good two way player, has put up respectable numbers for being so low on the depth chart and still young and cheap. Could be low risk pick up for a rebuilding team in exchange for a veteran.
I'll take Marty Reasoner and the rights to Kubina, please.

alternate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 11:27 AM
PRNuck
Retain Kevin Lowe

vCash: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by eldiablo17 View Post
Hansen is exactly what we need in our bottom 6 though, I love the kid, hope they get him locked up.

PRNuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 11:30 AM
Reign Nateo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
Mike Gillis was on Pratt and Taylor today:
http://www.teamradio.ca/contentfiles...d%20Taylor.mp3

Tomorrow's announcement in Penticton:
More than just concerning training camp - the Canucks will be announcing something new and it involves some other teams (sounds like maybe a tournament of some sort?).
Prospect tournament would make sense.

Reign Nateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 11:33 AM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
The Modfather

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo View Post
Prospect tournament would make sense.
Would be great if they did that, gives us a good chance to see a lot of our kids in action.

Mr. Canucklehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 11:41 AM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by alternate View Post
I think his response on Rome was a good sign for Hansen:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post

Re-Signing Aaron Rome
Signed last year as a free agent depth defenceman who did not play a lot at the beginning of the year. He then played and got better and better as the season went on. He is a late developer - good size, good hockey sense, skates well. Need players on the roster who can play minutes in a lot of different situations that are reasonably priced.
Hansen seems like a perfect fit for what Gillis says he needs... he can play minutes in a lot of different situations and should be reasonably priced. Given his versatility on both wings on either the bottom 2 lines, I think he'll be back next season. I'd guess Bernier is higher on the trade list at this point... impact for cost (which seems to be a priority for Gillis), Hansen is more valuable than Bernier at this point.

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 11:43 AM
pitseleh

My guess is that he didn't mention Hansen because he shouldn't be difficult to get signed. He also didn't mention Glass and if Hockey Widow's information is right, he's getting a new contract.

pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 11:47 AM
Canucker
Go Hawks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRNuck View Post
Hansen is exactly what we need in our bottom 6 though, I love the kid, hope they get him locked up.
I agree...Hansen, to me is a very underrated player for us. The guy does have some offensive chops that haven't been realized yet, he's good defensively and hustles his butt off. I think if he were playing for a team with less offensive depth he would likely be playing on the 2nd line. For us he's a perfect bottom 6 player, he provides excellent depth and versatility at a very cheap price tag. I don't think we should trade him because I don't think we can get the value in return equal to what he would provide our bottom 6.

Canucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 12:15 PM
Johnny Canuck

Hansen brings nothing to the table. He get's noticed on the forcheck a few times, and disappears for rest of the game. Jannik "stone hands" Hansen, his primary role it seems to me is to play a good defensive game. He does this well, however other than that he doesn't have anything else to offer.

We need a replacement for Hansen, ideally for someone who offers more tangibles.

Johnny Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 12:24 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Canuck View Post
Hansen brings nothing to the table. He get's noticed on the forcheck a few times, and disappears for rest of the game. Jannik "stone hands" Hansen, his primary role it seems to me is to play a good defensive game. He does this well, however other than that he doesn't have anything else to offer.

We need a replacement for Hansen, ideally for someone who offers more tangibles.
completely disagree... IMO Hansen is one of our best bottom-6 forwards already and is still improving as a player.

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 12:24 PM
KonaRider

Desbiens should take over Hansen's spot.

KonaRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 12:26 PM
Dana Murzyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Canuck View Post

Stone Hands had the 5th best goals/60 on the team (even strength):

Edit: Beat you, pits. Ptthhh!

Last edited by Dana Murzyn: 06-16-2010 at 12:28 PM. Reason: Edit: Beat you, pits. Ptthhh!
Dana Murzyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 12:27 PM
pitseleh

Mr. Stone Hands has scored at almost a 30 point/82 game pace in his NHL career despite not getting PP time and spending at least half that time on the fourth line.

They way he does things may not be pretty but he gets the job done.

pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 12:30 PM
LostMyGlasses*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO View Post
completely disagree... IMO Hansen is one of our best bottom-6 forwards already and is still improving as a player.
This isn't a hard argument to make in a bottom 6 full of fail.

LostMyGlasses* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 12:32 PM
LostMyGlasses*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana Murzyn View Post
Stone Hands had the 5th best goals/60 on the team (even strength):

Edit: Beat you, pits. Ptthhh!
Link please!

LostMyGlasses* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 12:32 PM
BAuldie

Send a message via ICQ to BAuldie Send a message via MSN to BAuldie
8 game tourney according to the press release.

Canucks, Oilers, Flames, Ducks and Sharks.. pretty big

BAuldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 12:33 PM
Reign Nateo

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaRider View Post

Reign Nateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 12:34 PM
Timmer44

vCash: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaRider View Post
Desbien looked incredible in the Moose's 08/09 playoff run and I fully expected him to make last years Canuck team. I watched him closely during the preseason and in the Dallas game where he was called up and he was invisible. He looked shocked by the speed. He has good size, can protect the puck well, but really doesn't have the wheels from what I saw. Also, the aggressiveness he showed on the Moose was basically nonexistent.

Maybe with another year of training and experience he could make the jump but from what I saw he'll always be a 20 goal scorer in the AHL who may get the odd callup.

He's basically Bernier with more size and grit, but less speed.

Timmer44 is offline   Reply With Quote