HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

09-10 Canucks Injury Status

Old
05-04-2010, 12:50 PM
ItsAllPartOfThePlan

vCash: 500
We need larschied to get to the bottom of this groin business.

ItsAllPartOfThePlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2010, 02:24 PM
JannikAtTheDisco
No panic it's Jannik

Too kind of confirm the reports of Mitchell. Family friends of ours are the Mitchell's neighbours and apparently he has put his house (townhouse i think..?) up for sale, he and his wife are moving back to minnesota and his career is almost certainly over.

I hope he can recover and someone can give him a shot on a cheap 1 year deal maybe.

JannikAtTheDisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2010, 02:28 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by SelKesler View Post
Too kind of confirm the reports of Mitchell. Family friends of ours are the Mitchell's neighbours and apparently he has put his house (townhouse i think..?) up for sale, he and his wife are moving back to minnesota and his career is almost certainly over.

I hope he can recover and someone can give him a shot on a cheap 1 year deal maybe.
So just because he put up his house for sale he's now moving to Minnesota? Maybe he's just moving to a nicer place in the city... ? No, that couldn't be it. Has to be some sort of monumental thing.

Tiranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2010, 02:40 PM
God
Free Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SelKesler View Post

Why Minnesota? He's from BC. He signed here so he could live in BC.

Was this family friend a snot nosed 15 year old kid?

God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2010, 03:08 PM
CCF23

Send a message via MSN to CCF23
Quote:
Originally Posted by God View Post
Why Minnesota? He's from BC. He signed here so he could live in BC.

Was this family friend a snot nosed 15 year old kid?
Yeah that doesn't make much sense to me either.

CCF23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2010, 03:37 PM
oyvey

I believe his wife is from Minnesota.

oyvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2010, 04:37 PM
JannikAtTheDisco
No panic it's Jannik

Quote:
Originally Posted by number13baby View Post
I believe his wife is from Minnesota.
This.

Quote:
Mitchell married Minnesota-native Megan on August 17, 2006, in Napa Valley, California
And I was just passing on a fairly interesting rumour, take it for what it's worth. And I doubt a snotty 15 year old kid could afford a one bedroom apartment in Vancouver let alone a house beside Willie Mitchell.

JannikAtTheDisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2010, 05:03 PM
Kid Canuck*

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtr3m View Post
Gallagher speculating that perhaps Henrik has a bad groin.

http://communities.canada.com/THEPRO...hank-s-ok.aspx
Gallager is always looking to break a story and his hunches are usually absolute crap. Also who said the twins didn't play well? He's a knob.

Kid Canuck* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2010, 05:30 PM
Kid_Roll

OK, I am not a doctor, so I can't weigh in on this too much. But from what we know of concussions, or at least have seen of concussions, how many times has a player sustained one and had a doctors report, or the player come to the conclusion, in such a short time frame, that they're done. That it's game over, man.

Concussions seem to be vague at the best of times, so I just find it hard to believe that Mitchell suffered one so bad that they know his career is over at this point, no if's and's or but's.

It also seems out of Mitchell's character to just fold up like that and give it up. You think he would wait it out and try anything it takes to keep playing in his career.

Anyways, I think the only rumor I have ever seen come true on the message boards was Hockey Widow's call of Gillis becoming GM (I am sure others have stories, but I personally have only seen that one come to fruition) so I take everything people are saying with a grain of salt. Mitchell's career could be over for all I know. It just doesn't seem to fit what we see with concussions in hockey, the finality of it all just seems a little sudden.

Kid_Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2010, 07:55 PM
Kid Canuck*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid_Roll View Post
OK, I am not a doctor, so I can't weigh in on this too much. But from what we know of concussions, or at least have seen of concussions, how many times has a player sustained one and had a doctors report, or the player come to the conclusion, in such a short time frame, that they're done. That it's game over, man.

Concussions seem to be vague at the best of times, so I just find it hard to believe that Mitchell suffered one so bad that they know his career is over at this point, no if's and's or but's.

It also seems out of Mitchell's character to just fold up like that and give it up. You think he would wait it out and try anything it takes to keep playing in his career.

Anyways, I think the only rumor I have ever seen come true on the message boards was Hockey Widow's call of Gillis becoming GM (I am sure others have stories, but I personally have only seen that one come to fruition) so I take everything people are saying with a grain of salt. Mitchell's career could be over for all I know. It just doesn't seem to fit what we see with concussions in hockey, the finality of it all just seems a little sudden.
This is his second concussion and having had two concussions myself, there is no messing around.

He has missed more then half the season and all of the playoffs so to say he would have reached this decision in a short amount of time doesn't make much sense. Hockey is one one thing but your health is another and to say it's out of Mitchell's character to fold up and quit is pretty harsh. To be a gritty hard nosed player who would play on one leg is one thing to but to question a guy when it comes to damage of the brain is another.

I would take any rumors with a grain of salt also but to question the integrity of a guy if he does decide to call it a career really worries me of your thought process. Again hockey is one thing but we have one life to live and I'm sure Willy as much as anyone else wants to live a long one not a short one as a vegetable.

Kid Canuck* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2010, 08:13 PM
Eukaryote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Canuck View Post
Gallager is always looking to break a story and his hunches are usually absolute crap. Also who said the twins didn't play well? He's a knob.
Are you claiming they played well in game 2? The Sedins were awful last night.

Eukaryote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2010, 12:37 AM
Kid_Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Canuck View Post
This is his second concussion and having had two concussions myself, there is no messing around.

He has missed more then half the season and all of the playoffs so to say he would have reached this decision in a short amount of time doesn't make much sense. Hockey is one one thing but your health is another and to say it's out of Mitchell's character to fold up and quit is pretty harsh. To be a gritty hard nosed player who would play on one leg is one thing to but to question a guy when it comes to damage of the brain is another.

I would take any rumors with a grain of salt also but to question the integrity of a guy if he does decide to call it a career really worries me of your thought process. Again hockey is one thing but we have one life to live and I'm sure Willy as much as anyone else wants to live a long one not a short one as a vegetable.
Where the **** did I question his integrity? Christ.

I said it seems like a lot of doom and gloom talk. I admitted it could all be true. But it just doesn't seem like the kind of situation that occurs all the time, so I hope the media is off the track on this one. More like wishful thinking on my part.

As for saying I wouldn't think Mitchell would quit on this (I said 'give it up', as in give up his NHL career by the way), I said that I would think he would wait it out, even if it took all next year, before officially calling it quits, as the way people are rumor mongoring it, it has Mitchell selling his house, moving to Minnie, and sitting on his porch by next wednesday.

Anyways, go ahead and question my though process, have a party with that one.

Old
05-05-2010, 11:02 AM
Timmer44

vCash: 833
Quote:
Where the **** did I question his integrity? Christ.

I said it seems like a lot of doom and gloom talk. I admitted it could all be true. But it just doesn't seem like the kind of situation that occurs all the time, so I hope the media is off the track on this one. More like wishful thinking on my part.

As for saying I wouldn't think Mitchell would quit on this (I said 'give it up', as in give up his NHL career by the way), I said that I would think he would wait it out, even if it took all next year, before officially calling it quits, as the way people are rumor mongoring it, it has Mitchell selling his house, moving to Minnie, and sitting on his porch by next wednesday.

Anyways, go ahead and question my though process, have a party with that one.
The whole situation isn't quite right.

Since last summer, the media has been saying this is his last year as a Canuck, much like Ohlund last year.

He suffers a concussion, and as a precaution has been held out from exercising or practicing with the team.

Suffers a regression and apparently can't go to Olympic events due to the bright lights.

The Canucks have cap issues and his return would likely put them over the cap, meaning other moves.

No interviews at all. Nothing. Not even a shot of him walking into the building. Sitting in the pressbox. A CBC update.

Willie had an injury dispute previously with the Wild where he sued them for money owed while injured during the lockout.

He held himself out of the lineup two seasons ago when Coach V said he should play through his injuries. They didn't speak for months.

Guys like Dan Murphy hanging around the team all the time yet saying they don't know what's his timeline. Aren't they journalists? Their customers want the story and they aren't investigating it? Is this a mandate from the team not to release anything? Or from Willie?

Timmer44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2010, 12:23 PM
Alan Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmer44 View Post

Guys like Dan Murphy hanging around the team all the time yet saying they don't know what's his timeline. Aren't they journalists? Their customers want the story and they aren't investigating it? Is this a mandate from the team not to release anything? Or from Willie?
I have found there is very little "investigative" journalism in terms of the sports media in Vancouver. The media's approach seems to be simply to regurgitate press releases and treat everything the team says as gospel. There is no follow-up, no tough questions.

The complete lack of updates on Mitchell is one example. It's almost as if he's ceased to exist. I complained heartily about the lack of coverage of the Cody Hodgson situation while it was happening. Many journos will now concede that there were issues between Hodgson and the Canucks, but there was not a peep from most of the mainstream press, other than one article by Matt Sekeres.

The press may be a little to cozy with the hockey club for the fans to get any insight as to what may or may not be happening behind the scenes.

Alan Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2010, 12:39 PM
Timmer44

vCash: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Jackson View Post
I have found there is very little "investigative" journalism in terms of the sports media in Vancouver. The media's approach seems to be simply to regurgitate press releases and treat everything the team says as gospel. There is no follow-up, no tough questions.

The complete lack of updates on Mitchell is one example. It's almost as if he's ceased to exist. I complained heartily about the lack of coverage of the Cody Hodgson situation while it was happening. Many journos will now concede that there were issues between Hodgson and the Canucks, but there was not a peep from most of the mainstream press, other than one article by Matt Sekeres.

The press may be a little to cozy with the hockey club for the fans to get any insight as to what may or may not be happening behind the scenes.
Exactly. But the silence is deafening. Obviously there is more to meet the eye here and unfortunately the media (Murphy) won't get off his knees long enough to let us know what's going on with the team he's supposedly reporting on.

Timmer44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2010, 05:53 PM
Cohiba

http://www.vancouversun.com/Grey+wha...558/story.html

Quote:
Next to Spencer-Nairn and her husband was Vancouver Canuck hockey player Willie Mitchell who said it probably wasn't a good sign the whale was in False Creek. Mitchell grew up in Port McNeill on Vancouver Island and has seen his fair share of whales but never near his waterfront condo.

"Hopefully it's okay," Mitchell said.

According to this article he is out and about, which is positive news. He is not in a dark room somewhere as some had speculated. Maybe he was on his way to the rink for the pre-game workout!

Last edited by Cohiba: 05-05-2010 at 06:32 PM. Reason: other
Cohiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2010, 06:27 PM
Kid_Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cohiba View Post
http://www.vancouversun.com/Grey+wha...558/story.html

According to this article he is out and about, which is positive news. He is not in a dark room somewhere as some had speculated. Maybe his was on his way to the rink for the pre-game workout!
They must have flown in the whale to train with Mitchell so he could get ready to handle Bfuglyien in game 5.

Old
05-05-2010, 06:41 PM
Bieksallent

Quote:
They must have flown in the whale to train with Mitchell so he could get ready to handle Bfuglyien in game 5.
Nice.

Bieksallent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2010, 01:58 AM
Eukaryote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmer44 View Post
Exactly. But the silence is deafening. Obviously there is more to meet the eye here and unfortunately the media (Murphy) won't get off his knees long enough to let us know what's going on with the team he's supposedly reporting on.
As Pattison is saying on the radio right now, what the heck happened with Mitchell? He's never around the team. Most injured players at least show up to the rink for treatment, but no-one has seen him there. It is like he's not wanted. Mitchell was part of the leadership group and yet he's never around...at all. Is there a fallout with him and coaching/management? I'll be surprised if Mitchell ever plays for the Canucks again, whether he recovers or not.

Old
05-08-2010, 02:03 AM
Jack Tripper
I Don't Even...

vCash: 888
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eukaryote View Post
As Pattison is saying on the radio right now, what the heck happened with Mitchell? He's never around the team. Most injured players at least show up to the rink for treatment, but no-one has seen him there. It is like he's not wanted. Mitchell was part of the leadership group and yet he's never around...at all. Is there a fallout with him and coaching/management? I'll be surprised if Mitchell ever plays for the Canucks again, whether he recovers or not.
i listened to this as well and it seems odd

since durability is one of the d-core's biggest issues i'd be shocked to see mitchell back...but it seems the team's already kicked him out to the curb

Jack Tripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2010, 02:10 AM
Eukaryote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cohiba View Post
According to this article he is out and about, which is positive news. ...
It's positive news about his potential recovery, but the fact he is "out and about" just further indicates he's cut ties with the team. If Gillis has indicated that he won't resign him for the money Mitchell wants, then no wonder no one sees around the team or at the rink. It's not his team anymore.

Old
05-08-2010, 02:12 AM
Eukaryote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Tripper View Post
...but it seems the team's already kicked him out to the curb
Or they come to a mutual understanding. He's gone and won't ever be back. He's looking for another team to play for now.

Old
05-09-2010, 12:06 PM
Bourdon

I don't believe it. Mitchell's been such a part of this team and it's heart and soul for so many years that there's no way he'd abandon the team because of political reasons. If he's not around the team, maybe it's been the team's decision to do so. Schneider's situation was handled much differently as most players and staff simply refused to comment on it.

Bourdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2010, 12:27 PM
Outside99*
Sedins off Kas

The Willie Mitchell situation is really bizarre.

Outside99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2010, 12:55 PM
Juicey
aka HamhuisHip

I thought it was common for injured players who are on LTI remain away from the team. I read an article where LTI players remain away from the team so not give the impression they are close to returning. i.e. rising teams hopes that Mitchell will be returning to the lineup shortly.

I think all this says is that Mitchell was never going to be in the position to return to the team this year.

Juicey is offline   Reply With Quote