HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

09-10 Canucks Injury Status

Old
11-22-2009, 07:38 PM
CanucksOo

vCash: 500
I guess we can temporarily rename this thread the "Demitra injury update":

Quote:
DEMITRA LACES UP

Pavol Demitra, 34, who has yet to see game action this season after injuring his rotator cuff during the second round playoff series against Chicago, took to the ice today prior to the teams’ game day skate to test the shoulder out as reported by Ben Kuzma of The Province.

After undergoing off-season shoulder surgery, Demitra, 34, was initially projected to be out for six weeks but he was later revealed to be out indefinitely after complications in his range of motion. Media speculation is pegging Demitra’s return for sometime before the new year/late December.

At 6’0” 200lbs., the Dubnica, Slovakia native netted 20 goals and 33 assists (20-33-53) in 69 games with the Canucks last season.
http://canucks.nhl.com/club/page.htm...twt-vancanucks

More confirmation of the latest time table for his return:

Quote:
The forgotten man is easy to spot in the bowels of GM Place.

He’s the one wearing a designer suit while his colleagues are clad in battle gear. He’s the one with an understandably dour demeanour while his teammates revel in the rigours of competition.

In being relegated to spectator status following offseason shoulder surgery — and a second procedure on two torn rotator cuffs a month ago that curtailed his comeback — it’s easy to conclude that a recent post-operation infection may have been the final stab at sanity that killed Pavol Demitra’s spirit.

Easy to conclude that the physical and mental drain of subsequent setbacks might be too devastating for the speedy Slovak to overcome in what could be his final season with the Vancouver Canucks.

Not so. Not even close.

Demitra is buoyed by aqua therapy that has added considerable strength and range of motion to his repaired left shoulder.

It’s also added the peace of mind that he can make a successful NHL return and also line up with countrymen Marian Gaborik and Marian Hossa at the 2010 Winter Olympics.

“The doctors have come in with a new plan,” says the 34-year-old Demitra.

“I’ve been swimming for the past two weeks and building up a lot of strength and the movement in my arm is getting better. I do the breaststroke. Freestyle is painful and I don’t think I can do that yet, but we’re heading in the right direction.

It hasn’t healed enough to shoot, but I can skate and I’m hoping to be back after Christmas — but you never know. As long as I don’t have a setback. There was an infection the first week after the last surgery and I had to take antibiotics. There was a lot of scar tissue and my shoulder was so stiff.

“It’s always something with a shoulder. After the first surgery, I lost everything and pretty much had to start from zero again.”

Even though the time frame for his return is uncertain — the four-to-eight-week prognosis after the second surgery could delay the process to mid-January — Demitra is determined to prove worthy of the $4 million US remaining on his expiring contract.

Last edited by CanucksOo: 11-23-2009 at 11:49 PM.
CanucksOo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2009, 01:47 PM
Wetcoaster

Rypien injured? Per Dan Murphy:
Quote:
No Rypien on the ice. Im guessing its his hand. Had it taped before Eager fight. Coach will update later. Bolduc is skating.
http://twitter.com/sportsnetmurph/status/6016407657

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2009, 02:02 PM
adamzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
I noticed his hand was taped during the game, figured it wasn't anything too serious though.

adamzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2009, 02:11 PM
TLinden16
Horse

vCash: 1200
Any word on Grabs?

TLinden16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2009, 02:14 PM
ItsAllPartOfThePlan

I read (I think in the Sun) that Rypien was given a maintenance day and AV expects him in the lineup for the LA game.

ItsAllPartOfThePlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2009, 02:33 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLinden16 View Post
Any word on Grabs?
not at all... the only info I could find on him was that he was scheduled to be out 4-6 weeks as of November 1st.

it'll be 4 weeks after the current 3 game home-stand.... 5 weeks mid-way through through their road swing after.

and since we haven't heard anything about his progress to date, my guess is that he's back by December 10th - when the team starts an 8-game home stand.

That should put him just shy of 6 weeks.

that's all assuming he's not sent to Manitoba as soon as he's off IR.

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2009, 04:43 PM
Edler Von Gud

Send a message via MSN to Edler Von Gud
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLinden16 View Post
Any word on Grabs?
He will have the cast on for 10-14 more days, then rehab/condition for another 2 weeks (most likely will see a few games in Manitoba to get in game shape and shake off rust). My guess is he will play in Manitoba on Dec 18th/19th, and he will be evaluated from there.

Edler Von Gud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 04:00 PM
Wetcoaster

The Ryan Johnson injury watch:
Quote:
Ryan Johnson is limping but initial x-rays were negative, team says. Expected to play Wednesday
http://twitter.com/BotchonCanucks/status/6246645175

Old
12-01-2009, 06:31 PM
Jesus Quintana*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsAllPartOfThePlan View Post
I read (I think in the Sun) that Rypien was given a maintenance day and AV expects him in the lineup for the LA game.
A maintenance day - right. He just has happened to miss two games since that "maintenance day." All this absurd secrecy surrounding injuries is dumb.

Jesus Quintana* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 06:11 AM
MrRuin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edler Von Gud View Post
He will have the cast on for 10-14 more days, then rehab/condition for another 2 weeks (most likely will see a few games in Manitoba to get in game shape and shake off rust). My guess is he will play in Manitoba on Dec 18th/19th, and he will be evaluated from there.
Austrian media had two interviews with him in the last couple of weeks. He will have the cast removed next week and then probably rehab for 2-4 weeks depending on how well his condition improves. The main problem is getting his muscles in his leg back.

I think a loose target for a return is end of the year.

MrRuin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2009, 12:44 PM
Wetcoaster

On Demitra's return and where Grabner fits:
Quote:
Iain MacIntyre:
Demitra is on same timetable: he's feeling a little better all the time but wont play until after Christmas, likely early January. If it's mid-Jan and he's still out, there's another problem. At least he's helping the Canucks cap situation. Barring injury, I don't see how Grabner fits back in. Canucks are pretty committed to keeping only one extra forward. I think they should keep two and go with one spare defenceman, jettisoning Rome.
http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/h...ucks/chat.html

Old
12-06-2009, 04:09 PM
NuxFan09

I'm getting really impatient for Grabner to make his return. Although, I shouldn't get hopes up because management and the coaching staff will probably decide there isn't a spot for him on the roster and send him back to Manitoba.

Best case scenario is that the rumors about the Rangers being interested in Demitra are true and that Gillis and Sather can get a deal done, thus opening a spot for Grabner on the 2nd line.

NuxFan09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 11:22 AM
Wetcoaster

Edler's left arm to be checked out after the hit by the Preds' Shea Weber.
http://www.theprovince.com/sports/ho...026/story.html

Old
12-09-2009, 12:04 PM
Libor Polasek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
Edler's left arm to be checked out after the hit by the Preds' Shea Weber.
http://www.theprovince.com/sports/ho...026/story.html
I like this little quote:

"If he's out for any time at all, the Canucks will likely have to increase the minutes for Kevin Bieksa and Willie Mitchell."

Sweeeeet.

Libor Polasek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 04:23 PM
The Bob Cole
Ohhhh Baby.

Grabner is cleared to begin skating

The Bob Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 06:02 PM
Placebo Effect

Quote:
Alex Edler is expected to miss two weeks because of a left arm injury.
Edler hurt his arm Tuesday in Nashville on a highlight-reel hit from Nashville's Shea Weber.
Edler left the game and did not return. To most, it looked like he injured his shoulder.
For Thursday's game against Atlanta, the Canucks will put Mathieu Schneider back into the lineup.
Schneider has been a healthy scratch in the past four games.
http://communities.canada.com/thepro...two-weeks.aspx

Placebo Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 06:15 PM
NuxFan09

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Luo The First View Post
Grabner is cleared to begin skating
Great news! Hopefully it's a fast recovery from here.

NuxFan09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 06:47 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuxFan09 View Post
Great news! Hopefully it's a fast recovery from here.
hopefully for Grabner's sake it is... if he was healthy to return now, he'd be back in the lineup - especially with Edler going on IR now, creating an extra lineup spot under the 23 man roster. But more so because the team hasn't been playing well, so it's easier to justify keeping him instead of waiving another player.

But if he returns in a week or two weeks, and the Canucks turn things around and start playing well - which I'm still thinking they will soon enough - he'll lose that spot and head to Manitoba.

The sooner he's back the better chance he has of sticking with the lineup... though given that he's just started skating now, he's probably still another week or two away, which likely has him destined for Manitoba.

Old
12-09-2009, 07:35 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO View Post
hopefully for Grabner's sake it is... if he was healthy to return now, he'd be back in the lineup - especially with Edler going on IR now, creating an extra lineup spot under the 23 man roster. But more so because the team hasn't been playing well, so it's easier to justify keeping him instead of waiving another player.

But if he returns in a week or two weeks, and the Canucks turn things around and start playing well - which I'm still thinking they will soon enough - he'll lose that spot and head to Manitoba.

The sooner he's back the better chance he has of sticking with the lineup... though given that he's just started skating now, he's probably still another week or two away, which likely has him destined for Manitoba.
Botchford is saying 3 more weeks in response to a question on Grabner's status:
http://twitter.com/BotchonCanucks/status/6495658679

Ken Weibe of the Winnipeg Sun:
Quote:
One final injury note that could be of interest to the Moose down the road relates to Michael Grabner.

Grabner, who suffered an ankle injury while playing soccer before a game with the Vancouver Canucks on Nov. 1, had his cast removed recently and he's expected to begin skating in the next day or two.

Once Grabner is cleared to play, it's likely he'll need to spend some time back on the farm with the Moose before he returns to NHL action but that won't be until after Christmas or into the new year.
http://www.winnipegsun.com/sports/ho...88751-sun.html

Old
12-10-2009, 12:46 AM
Lowe in Oil

Hey guys, quick question.

What position does Demitra play?

TSN has him as LW/RW and Yahoo has his as a C

Lowe in Oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 01:16 AM
Agent007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowe in Oil View Post
Hey guys, quick question.

What position does Demitra play?

TSN has him as LW/RW and Yahoo has his as a C
He can pretty much play all three positions up front.

Agent007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 09:06 AM
Lowe in Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent007 View Post
He can pretty much play all three positions up front.
Any idea where he will play once he returns?
Hockey pool question. I have my IR spot open, so I can pick him up and activate him once he comes back. But, if he plays Center, I wont do it. I already have Getzlaf, Backstrom, B.Richards

Lowe in Oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 11:37 AM
Hedberg
MLD Glue Guy

Quote:
Hockey pool question. I have my IR spot open, so I can pick him up and activate him once he comes back. But, if he plays Center, I wont do it. I already have Getzlaf, Backstrom, B.Richards
He usually plays on the wing with the Canucks.

Hedberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 11:37 AM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
as it stands now, if he's back in the lineup today, the only spot I see for him is either the 3rd line center spot (moving Wellwood out), or the 2nd line right wing spot next to Raymond and Kesler.

Although, Hansen is still in that spot, and Samuelsson was there not long ago... and if Grabner isn't sent back to Manitoba permanently this year once he's back from IR, IMO that's still his spot to lose.

if I was betting on it, I'd say he's most likely to replace Wellwood on the 3rd line... although his play has improved, but he's about as streaky a player as there is, and I'd be surprised if he wasn't in the middle of another long slump by the time Demitra is ready to return.

a total guess here, but IMO:

30% chance he's the 3rd line center
20% chance he's the 2nd line right winger
10% chance he's the 3rd line left winger.
40% chance he just gets injured again and won't have a fulltime fit in the lineup anywhere!

Old
12-10-2009, 03:27 PM
Wetcoaster

Update on Grabner:
Quote:
GRABNER BACK SKATING

Winger Michael Grabner has resumed skating after fracturing his ankle in two places on Nov. 1 in a pregame soccer warm-up. He skated on his own on Wednesday and will do so every second day for the time being.

“It's still getting sore, but we're trying to push it and see how it feels,” said Grabner on Thursday, who has 2-3-5 in nine games after being called up from the AHL Manitoba Moose in mid-October. “It felt pretty good (skating), but it was a bit sore this morning.”

Grabner said there's really no exact time frame at this point.

“I can't really say,” he said. “We'll go by the pain. It could be a week or it could be two weeks. It's about how it feels day to day.”
http://communities.canada.com/thepro...r-back-in.aspx