HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Proposal: Anton Babchuk

Old
09-09-2009, 02:23 PM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
If you are to believe Jackets ownership, making the SCF would not have had us break even last year. I am not completely sure I believe that. But, based on the information at hand, baring sell out's all year (if even then), that would not appear to be the case.
i just meant those two extra home games would = his salary...not necc the club would break even...

Fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2009, 02:49 PM
Aging Goalie

Quote:
Well start working on it. If you were a rival GM would you want a 1.875 million p/y contract over 3 years that, at best, might be on your checking line?
I forget how much are we payin Sami again?

Aging Goalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2009, 03:09 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aging Goalie View Post
I forget how much are we payin Sami again?
lol, as if Chimera is considered a premiere shut down center.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2009, 03:38 PM
Cyborg Yzerman
Remember Alf?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macster View Post
To me this issue is simple- every team interested in Babchuk has more leverage than Rutherford because the Canes have already made it known they want to get rid of him. If they want any sort of compensation they, not the teams trading for him, will have to bite the bullet a bit.

That said, he will still cost something. Trading Klesla for him just because you don't like Klesla is ridiculous. Klesla is worth more to this team than many know. His play in the playoffs were a great sign. Goloubef is a very strong prospect, and one the team can't and likely won't give up for a guy like Babchuk. Ruth maybe, because although he is a high-end prospect, he plays a hell of a lot like Methot, who obviously just re-signed. We need to keep the prospects who can move the puck, it's a severe deficiency in the organization.

Also, the team likely isn't willing to move a first or second rounder. Budget teams (like us) rely on those two rounds to re-stock the team. Now, if we are talking third or lower, yeah, that would make sense. It also fits in with Babchuk's current value.

I would think there are two options

Babchuk for Ruth OR Babchuk for a 3rd and 5th

ALL of that said, we would still need to move salary to accomodate him, so another move would need to take place (looking at you, Chimmer) Carolina is tight financially so a Chimmer for Babchuk trade probably wouldn't be in the cards. Basically unless ownership approves the additional salary, and Carolina accepts a trade for a prospect or a pick(s) then this trade likely won't happen.

You don't overypay to a team with minimal leverage.

this.

Cyborg Yzerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2009, 03:57 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye19 View Post
this.
Agreed, even if Babchuk was UFA he probably would want more cash than Howson can spend. It boils down to our internal budget in all scenarios.

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2009, 05:41 PM
Juneemoon

From the comments section of the last Puck-Rakers blog:

Quote:
A couple rumors have popped up that Anton Babchuk is on the move & we're one of the two reported possible trade destinations (New Jersey being the other). Any rumblings inside Nationwide Arena about this?

Posted by Josh | September 9, 2009 5:29 PM

Posted on September 9, 2009 17:29

AP:
No truth to the Babchuk talk.

Posted by AP | September 9, 2009 5:46 PM

Last edited by Juneemoon: 09-09-2009 at 06:07 PM.
Juneemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2009, 05:47 PM
Jimayo

Quote:
To me this issue is simple- every team interested in Babchuk has more leverage than Rutherford because the Canes have already made it known they want to get rid of him. If they want any sort of compensation they, not the teams trading for him, will have to bite the bullet a bit.
This is only true if you're the only team interested. As soon as a second bidder appears rutherford now has leverage. You then need to give him a better deal than the other guy.

Jimayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2009, 06:44 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juneemoon View Post
AP squasher of all rumor and resident insider to Scott Howson.

It's not hard to be the anti-eklund. Just deny everything and 99.999% of the time you are right.

Old
09-09-2009, 07:19 PM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

Well my hopes are shot

The Blue Jackets searched high and low for a puck-moving, power-play capable defenseman this off-season. Even as training camp looms in four days, GM Scott Howson continues to shop responsibly.

"The Dispatch has learned that the Blue Jackets have inquired about inviting at least two puck-moving defenseman to training camp on a tryout basis: Marc-Andre Bergeron and Martin Skoula.

Neither agreed, of course. Skoula is headed to camp with Florida. Bergeron, like many other unsigned veterans, is waiting for a better offer (re: contract).

Don't believe the Anton Babchuk rumors. Not going to happen.

The Blue Jackets are still in hoping to sign a veteran to camp. Stay tuned."

Well let's enjoy fighting for last in the PP unit,, again.

CBJBrassard16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2009, 07:21 PM
Aging Goalie

Quote:
lol, as if Chimera is considered a premiere shut down center.
No but if we step back from the CBJ depth chart for a minute and look where players would be on other rosters we paid a chunk of change for a third line center of which on many rosters we now have two. Let us not forget Vermette is a third liner on many a team. Chimera is a thrid liner on most teams fourth on some. Looking at wings under contract on third line duty he is not really overpaid. Look at Nashville Tootoo is making $975k and Ward 1.5 mill. Chimera is expendable due to depth but he is not really overpaid by much if at all.

Old
09-09-2009, 08:04 PM
blahblah

Quote:
No but if we step back from the CBJ depth chart for a minute and look where players would be on other rosters we paid a chunk of change for a third line center of which on many rosters we now have two. Let us not forget Vermette is a third liner on many a team. Chimera is a thrid liner on most teams fourth on some. Looking at wings under contract on third line duty he is not really overpaid. Look at Nashville Tootoo is making $975k and Ward 1.5 mill. Chimera is expendable due to depth but he is not really overpaid by much if at all.
Chimera is overpaid.

Old
09-09-2009, 08:07 PM
5StringBuzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
Well my hopes are shot

The Blue Jackets searched high and low for a puck-moving, power-play capable defenseman this off-season. Even as training camp looms in four days, GM Scott Howson continues to shop responsibly.

"The Dispatch has learned that the Blue Jackets have inquired about inviting at least two puck-moving defenseman to training camp on a tryout basis: Marc-Andre Bergeron and Martin Skoula.

Neither agreed, of course. Skoula is headed to camp with Florida. Bergeron, like many other unsigned veterans, is waiting for a better offer (re: contract).

Don't believe the Anton Babchuk rumors. Not going to happen.

The Blue Jackets are still in hoping to sign a veteran to camp. Stay tuned."

Well let's enjoy fighting for last in the PP unit,, again.
This is very discouraging. I smell Tarnstrom v2.0. Yecch.

5StringBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2009, 08:26 PM
RDriesenUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juneemoon View Post
If you told AP that we got Vermette he would say there was no truth to it .

RDriesenUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2009, 08:33 PM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Sidney Cosby

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDriesenUD View Post
If you told AP that we got Vermette he would say there was no truth to it .
Uhhh....

Portzline didn't shut up about Vermette. He was getting mentioned as someone the Jackets were interested in as early as summer 2007 by Portzline.

09-09-2009, 08:56 PM
RDriesenUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post
Uhhh....

Portzline didn't shut up about Vermette. He was getting mentioned as someone the Jackets were interested in as early as summer 2007 by Portzline.
Way to not get what I was saying.

RDriesenUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2009, 09:54 PM
hashmarks

Quote:

As far as desperation goes, I'm trying to be realistic. We've put together a decent group of d for 12.8 million, 27th in the league. Honestly, it's a testiment to the players and the coaching staff that we've managed to be competitive with that investment (if you take out Backman's money last year we were like 29th in spending) considering the teams floating around us with that level of investment as well.
So true. Imagine if we were a cap team and had 3 more good players at 3 million how frickin' good we would be.

Quote:
At this point, Howson has an obligation to the team, fans, coaching staff, and ownership group to resolve this issue. He's done a great job of patching together a group that can make us competitive, but he now has to finish the job. We got lucky on the injury front on the d group last year. When Klesla went down we could call on Methot. Not sure we can hope for that level or health or luck in the event of injury this year.
We can't rely on anything. We don't have Rome, Tolly or even Backman anymore. It just doesn't work when you replace NHL players with AHL guys.

St. Louis got injured last year and they made some moves to try to help themselves. Dallas did the same, philly as well. We seem to be very content with using call-ups in those roles and just getting by. I was going insane last year around christmas with the injuries that we were going through and Howson was seemingly sitting idly by.

Fortunately/miraculously we kept winning and took care of our own business, but who knows, those guys getting so over-taxed at that point could have helped contribute to the fact that we just had nothing left for the first round of the playoffs. I know Klesla going down took it's toll on the rest of the d-men...if you ask me, a move should have been made then. Yeah, Methot came in and did okay, but why are we continually replacing NHL guys with AHL guys when our backs are against the wall? He made a shrewd move by getting Williams and look how much he helped us. Look how good of a job Murray down in Anaheim did in methodically retooling his blueline. That guy has made some good moves in order to incrementally upgrade his hockey team. Is it just me or do we tend to sit still for too long?

Quote:
We have depth on Wing, but everywhere else we are simply treading water at best.
Without question. Gone are Novotny, Peca, and Malhotra, in comes Pahlsson and....a converted Dorsett? Blundon? Aulin? Who? Why isn't a guy like Betts coming to OUR camp for a tryout?

Quote:
I'm not blaming Howson or the ownership group this situation. But there is a sense of desperation on my part. I can see the iceberg.
Me too. I have been going on about it for weeks, trouble is just around the corner and with all the pre-season games, we are really short dmen. Is Howson waiting for the waiver wire to pick someone up? Jeezz...I mean, is this really how we have to do business? Sometimes I just wonder why bother having a team if you can't properly equip it...

Quote:
At the end of the day, are we really going to get the oppurtunity at anything better for the cost in near future? This is not my first choice, what we need isn't something that teams let walk.
What other teams have a glut of dmen besides Van. and Toronto? Are there other teams that could spare an NHL dman or two? I will have to look around.

hashmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2009, 11:05 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDriesenUD View Post
Way to not get what I was saying.
No, no, I think he did get it; he was just pointing out that your strawman argument was garbage.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2009, 11:38 PM
Cyborg Yzerman
Remember Alf?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hashmarks View Post
So true. Imagine if we were a cap team and had 3 more good players at 3 million how frickin' good we would be.

We can't rely on anything. We don't have Rome, Tolly or even Backman anymore. It just doesn't work when you replace NHL players with AHL guys.

St. Louis got injured last year and they made some moves to try to help themselves. Dallas did the same, philly as well. We seem to be very content with using call-ups in those roles and just getting by. I was going insane last year around christmas with the injuries that we were going through and Howson was seemingly sitting idly by.

Fortunately/miraculously we kept winning and took care of our own business, but who knows, those guys getting so over-taxed at that point could have helped contribute to the fact that we just had nothing left for the first round of the playoffs. I know Klesla going down took it's toll on the rest of the d-men...if you ask me, a move should have been made then. Yeah, Methot came in and did okay, but why are we continually replacing NHL guys with AHL guys when our backs are against the wall? He made a shrewd move by getting Williams and look how much he helped us. Look how good of a job Murray down in Anaheim did in methodically retooling his blueline. That guy has made some good moves in order to incrementally upgrade his hockey team. Is it just me or do we tend to sit still for too long?

Without question. Gone are Novotny, Peca, and Malhotra, in comes Pahlsson and....a converted Dorsett? Blundon? Aulin? Who? Why isn't a guy like Betts coming to OUR camp for a tryout?

Me too. I have been going on about it for weeks, trouble is just around the corner and with all the pre-season games, we are really short dmen. Is Howson waiting for the waiver wire to pick someone up? Jeezz...I mean, is this really how we have to do business? Sometimes I just wonder why bother having a team if you can't properly equip it...

What other teams have a glut of dmen besides Van. and Toronto? Are there other teams that could spare an NHL dman or two? I will have to look around.

So, I came on today looking to point out the shortage on D, and the lack of PPQB, and the likes. And it just seems like you or Macster always generally, and in a well explained way, summarize my thoughts, eliminating the purpose of my posting. So. Well done.

Old
09-09-2009, 11:39 PM
Cyborg Yzerman
Remember Alf?

Quote:
Chimera is overpaid.
yeah, said that as soon as he was signed too, and the contract duration was saddening....

Old
09-10-2009, 06:17 AM
hashmarks

Quote:
So, I came on today looking to point out the shortage on D, and the lack of PPQB, and the likes. And it just seems like you or Macster always generally, and in a well explained way, summarize my thoughts, eliminating the purpose of my posting. So. Well done.
Glad I could help, but being redundant on HF is common place, feel free to express it as you wish!

Old
09-10-2009, 06:34 AM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
No worries about posting, Hawk. Being redundant on HF is commonplace.

Old
09-10-2009, 06:40 AM
hashmarks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
No worries about posting, Hawk. Being redundant on HF is commonplace.

Old
09-10-2009, 08:14 AM
blahblah

Quote:
yeah, said that as soon as he was signed too, and the contract duration was saddening....
I really wasn't trying to beat up on Chimera. By all accounts he's a good locker room guy and he's an ok hockey player. I agree, the issue with me on that deal it was the term. Honestly, I don't care all that much if he stays for the duration of the contract. This is only an issue in that it's going to make it harder then hell to move him if that is a desire.

We are deep at mediocre depth at wing. However, next year will be less so when Modin and Torres roll off. Will we re-sign either? Don't know. Moving Chimera might enable us to have a better shot at returning Torres, in all honesty if I had to choose right now that's the one of those 3 I would want back next year.

So if I'm the GM right now and if I'm actively trying to move Chimera and having no luck, I consider re-entry waivers with Chimera and try and save myself 925k that I can use elsewhere. But then again who knows what it does to the player and the locker room if you put Chimera on waivers.

All I know is that there are few forwards we both want and can move, while making any real difference to the payroll. Enough so to enable us to try and sign another d if the oppurtunity came our way.

Old
09-10-2009, 09:07 AM
Aging Goalie

Look I know Chimera seems overpaid and there are players out there that make less and put up more points. They are mostly on entry level deals or deals they signed before they started playing consistent though. He is not. Of the left wings around him in the stats that performed about the same level he doesn't look all that bad.

Chris Higgins 57 12 11 23 -1 $2.25per
J. Chimera 49 8 14 22 +8 $1.875 per
Sean Avery 41 8 14 22 +6 $4.0 per
Jarkko Ruutu 78 7 14 21 0 $1.3 per.

Now if I included guys who are natural RW and centers playing left wing I am sure there are a ton more that fall into this category. I would like to use Chimera in a trade also. I would rather use Modin but I think Chimera is worth more to other teams. As far as vets go for the production he is not out of line on cost for production.

Old
09-10-2009, 10:06 AM
Nordique

Quote:

I think that sums it up very well. Its not really an excessive contract. Last year's hamstring injury killed, considering the guy was pushing a point per game 20 games into the season. Chimera might just shock his doubters this season.

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote