HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Notices

Coyotes Ownership/Financial Situation #7

Closed Thread

Old
09-08-2009, 11:25 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaPride View Post
Is there anything that can be done legally in the courts now to block the auction by another court and to get the current judge thrown off the case? If Jerry Moyes is seeing to it the Coyotes are no longer in AZ by any means possible why can't 2 play it at that game but legally ?
Posted via Mobile Device
Yes there is. If Balsillie is allowed to bid, I expect the NHL will immediately appeal and petition the 9th District Court of Appeals for a stay. This will delay the auction, possibly for a long time. There is no "emergency" track in Appeals Court that would force this to be heard on an accelerated basis.

Old
09-08-2009, 11:25 PM
Colt45Blast
It Works Everytime!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RousselRising View Post
Any other STH get this e-mail today:

I did from my new rep since my old rep moved back to CA to work for the MLS team there.

I can careless what type of ticket it is to get into the arena.

After seeing what the STH base went through we all deserve to have our ticket(s) delivered by the players just like what was done in Pittsburgh and San Jose.

At least they should had out the tickets by the players at the upcoming autograph session (if there still is one)
Posted via Mobile Device

Old
09-08-2009, 11:28 PM
TeamTippett
Formally TeamTurris

I believe there are only two STH reps left.

Old
09-08-2009, 11:42 PM
Colt45Blast
It Works Everytime!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamTurris View Post
I believe there are only two STH reps left.
Only 2? That's sad! You think JB would be willing to offer them work in Canada if the team is gone without any road blocks?

Probably not!
Posted via Mobile Device

Old
09-08-2009, 11:44 PM
lockstock

This whole thing is ruining hockey for me. It really shows all the worst parts of modern society. All sides are exhibiting nothing but greed; Moyes, Ballsillie, CoG, and especially the Canadians making this a patriotic issue. The ignorance, lack of empathy, and outright trolling on page after page here are incredible. Hey new posters from Canada, read just one of the previous 1000 pages of the several threads and you'll see a rebuttal to your same old crap.

Seriously, I love watching hockey and I've spent thousands of dollars supporting the Coyotes, even living up in Prescott. With the way Moyes/Ballsack pretty much just screwed the Yotes franchise, on top of how bad my experience was with NHL gamecenter last season and now trying to get a sense of what's going on in these threads only to read troll after troll. I'm moving to Miami in the coming weeks, but if Ballsillie gets the team, the last time I'll ever spend money on the NHL is to go to a Miami/Yotes game to throw my jerseys on the ice and walk out.

Old
09-09-2009, 12:37 AM
Coyote_Fan

As fans can we sue Balsille and Moyes for destroying the value of the team and forcing this move?

Old
09-09-2009, 12:44 AM
Colt45Blast
It Works Everytime!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote_Fan View Post
As fans can we sue Balsille and Moyes for destroying the value of the team and forcing this move?
Only the NHL can provided they get a ruling in their favor saying they and not Moyes was in control of this team!
Posted via Mobile Device

Old
09-09-2009, 01:42 AM
52G228PIM*

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Didn't the NHL also say that 195 million in relo-fees wasn't enough to make up for the damages done, or something along those lines?

They were referencing a move to Hamilton, apparently a VERY undesirable location from the standpoint of the NHL..

Old
09-09-2009, 01:44 AM
XX
... Waiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by 52G228PIM View Post
They were referencing a move to Hamilton, apparently a VERY undesirable location from the standpoint of the NHL..
The NHL is saving Hamilton for when the time is ripe for expansion. They can get 3x the money that JB is offering for a new team there. It's actually quite funny that greed is working against us and for us, at the same time.

Old
09-09-2009, 01:47 AM
52G228PIM*

Quote:
Originally Posted by XavierX View Post
The NHL is saving Hamilton for when the time is ripe for expansion. They can get 3x the money that JB is offering for a new team there. It's actually quite funny that greed is working against us and for us, at the same time.
As long as the Sabres exist, Hamilton will not be considered for an NHL team..

Old
09-09-2009, 01:50 AM
XX
... Waiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by 52G228PIM View Post
As long as the Sabres exist, Hamilton will not be considered for an NHL team..
The Leafs have slightly more clout in this situation The increased cut from revenue sharing would more than likely make up for any shortfall the Sabres experience.

Old
09-09-2009, 01:51 AM
yakko

Quote:
Originally Posted by XavierX View Post
It's really a push and pull happening everywhere, all the time.

Old
09-09-2009, 03:01 AM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk View Post
I just see all those comments as part of the negotiation process. They can huff and puff all they want but at the end of the day the judge may ask them to figure things out and negotiate a settlement. If not, arbitration/mediation are likely options. Either that or a forced settlement and years of having resources tied up in the Appeals court.
The Judge has been trying to push all sides to negotiate a settlement and figure things out since day 1. That's a normal aspect of bankruptcy court.

The NHL so far has shown zero interest in negotiating any compromise with JB. I suppose anything could change tomorrow, but characterizing the fact that the NHL gave the court a couple independent relocation estimates after months of resisting doing so and only after being ordered to do so by the Judge on the eve of the auction doesn't strike me as a negotiating tactic by the NHL.

Old
09-09-2009, 09:05 AM
knowsthegame

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyC View Post
As a Coyotes fan living in Toronto, I have been pretty quiet because all the information I hear is biased. However, I think the NHL issuing a relocation fee is, as a previous writer mentioned, the writing on the wall that a deal will be struck soon. I think this will set a bad precedent for sports franchises in the future.

Will be an interesting couple of weeks.
You are wrong on your interpretation of the relo fee. The NHL was mandated by the court to give a relo fee. The NHL has zero interest in Balsille and will appeal any decision that awards the team to him.

Old
09-09-2009, 10:47 AM
YotesFan

I think we're screwed. Looks like the Yotes may really leave.

Old
09-09-2009, 11:12 AM
zyllyx
STH Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockstock View Post
This whole thing is ruining hockey for me. It really shows all the worst parts of modern society. All sides are exhibiting nothing but greed; Moyes, Ballsillie, CoG, and especially the Canadians making this a patriotic issue. The ignorance, lack of empathy, and outright trolling on page after page here are incredible.
This.

Old
09-09-2009, 11:18 AM
JonnyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowsthegame View Post
You are wrong on your interpretation of the relo fee. The NHL was mandated by the court to give a relo fee. The NHL has zero interest in Balsille and will appeal any decision that awards the team to him.
Thanks fo clarifying. I wonder if anyone has a clue as to how long the appeals process may last?

Cheers,

Old
09-09-2009, 11:23 AM
HockeyHillbilly

Do we know the courtroom details for tomorrow yet? Floor, room, time, etc. I know some of this has been established, but with the changes & delays I was hoping someone would post it. Tomorrow seems that it would actually be the day to be in court from what most of this has been leading up to. We may actually see some decisions made, then appealed.

Old
09-09-2009, 11:32 AM
PPD7952

Send a message via AIM to PPD7952 Send a message via MSN to PPD7952 Send a message via Yahoo to PPD7952
I just talked to my ticket rep. I told him not to BS me and asked what the feeling around the office is. He stated that since Baum has made very few decisions, that the NHL is going to win the bid and they will seek new local ownership outside of the BK. I asked what is the plan if Balsillie wins the bid and he stated that they plan on the season being here with an NHL appeal that would take while to settle. Either way, the season is going to be here this year.

Old
09-09-2009, 11:46 AM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyHillbilly View Post
Do we know the courtroom details for tomorrow yet? Floor, room, time, etc. I know some of this has been established, but with the changes & delays I was hoping someone would post it. Tomorrow seems that it would actually be the day to be in court from what most of this has been leading up to. We may actually see some decisions made, then appealed.
Room 703, 9am. Overflow on ctv probably in one of the 601-603 rooms.

You can always lookup the court calendar online at:
http://www.azb.uscourts.gov/wCal.aspx

Old
09-09-2009, 11:49 AM
TeamTippett
Formally TeamTurris

correction 8,30a tomorrow according to Bhram.

also:
EklundSource: "Jim Balsillie has one more surprise play to come before tomorrow's hearing" Could he be removing the relocation clause in deal?

Last edited by TeamTippett: 09-09-2009 at 12:09 PM.
Old
09-09-2009, 12:23 PM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

vCash: 1250
Quote:
Originally Posted by lockstock View Post
All sides are exhibiting nothing but greed; Moyes, Ballsillie, CoG, and especially the Canadians making this a patriotic issue. The ignorance, lack of empathy, and outright trolling on page after page here are incredible. Hey new posters from Canada, read just one of the previous 1000 pages of the several threads and you'll see a rebuttal to your same old crap.
Greed is not the issue, the bankrupt team is, this is just a business after all.

Some Canadians are well within their right to make it a patriotic issue, since the game was invented here, and it happens to be our National Winter Sport, it is law. Some may naturally feel that they care more for the game, given their heritage of playing the sport, while at the same time they may feel ignored by the NHL given that the majority of profitable NHL teams are located in Canada (6 of 10 profitable teams are in Canada, including the most profitable teams), that the profitable Canadian teams are being taxed so other financially shaky teams may exist in another country, while short shrift is given by the NHL to additional Canadian teams. They have a right to feel as they do, just as some upset Coyote fans have a right to their own anger, as do jilted Jets fans might I add.

Not all Canadians feel that way though. Some of us just view it as a business decision. One of viability, not greed, nor of patriotism.

Old
09-09-2009, 12:28 PM
zyllyx
STH Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamTurris View Post
also:
EklundSource: "Jim Balsillie has one more surprise play to come before tomorrow's hearing" Could he be removing the relocation clause in deal?
That'd be like Rush Limbaugh stumping for Obama, or Glenn Beck joining Mensa. It ain't happening.

Old
09-09-2009, 12:32 PM
TeamTippett
Formally TeamTurris

Quote:
Originally Posted by zyllyx View Post
That'd be like Rush Limbaugh stumping for Obama, or Glenn Beck joining Mensa. It ain't happening.
or like Glen Beck spilling OLIGARCHY right.

yea I just don't know what to believe anymore. the League should have fought the proxy fight early on so that we wouldn't be here today; could have saved some corporate sponsors, sell tickets etc.

Old
09-09-2009, 12:34 PM
JonnyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump Hasek View Post

Some Canadians are well within their right to make it a patriotic issue, since the game was invented here, and it happens to be our National Winter Sport, it is law. Some may naturally feel that they care more for the game, given their heritage of playing the sport, while at the same time they may feel ignored by the NHL given that the majority of profitable NHL teams are located in Canada (6 of 10 profitable teams are in Canada, including the most profitable teams), that the profitable Canadian teams are being taxed so other financially shaky teams may exist in another country, while short shrift is given by the NHL to additional Canadian teams. They have a right to feel as they do, just as some upset Coyote fans have a right to their own anger, as do jilted Jets fans might I add.

Not all Canadians feel that way though. Some of us just view it as a business decision. One of viability, not greed, nor of patriotism.
I thought modern ice hockey started in England, not Canada. I am not sure though.

Closed Thread