HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Coyotes Ownership/Financial Situation #7

Closed Thread

Old
09-09-2009, 03:33 PM
TeamTippett
Formally TeamTurris

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
What the hell is the plan, here, anyway? I mean, what does this "auction" consist of?
See RT I'm not 100% sure; I believe in effect thur is reserved for motions that are associated with the actual auction: i.e. is Balls a bidder, is the league in conflict of interest, what damages are Moyes/ CoG entitled too etc. I think then Friday we weigh all that and in theory have a winner. Doesn't mean Baum wont take all weekend to ponder a ruling. Do note expect this thing to be over Friday unfortunately.

BTW update on the IE offer:
http://www.azcentral.com/members/Blog/westsideinsider

Old
09-09-2009, 03:35 PM
RR

Quote:
What the hell is the plan, here, anyway? I mean, what does this "auction" consist of?
Read kdb's post #57. It describes perfectly the process and what a decision to award the team to JB will look like.

My guess still is Baum will try and get the NHL and JB to cut a deal, maybe order mediation and threaten to rule if they can't agree. And as long as the NHL stands firm that it will not be told who it has to accept as an owner, JB will not get his hands on this team.

If the NHL cuts a deal with JB then Rodier's theory is validated and other owners will try the same thing (bankruptcy), or some wannabe owner will try a variation of the approach as there will now be a precedent that you can make a deal with the league by forcing its hand.

The league can't afford that, and I doubt Baum wants to set that precedent.

Old
09-09-2009, 03:40 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Thanks.

BTW, I'm thinking of starting a couple of polls on the polls board. One, "Do you think that Kansas City is a more viable NHL market than Phoenix, long-term?" Two, "Do you think that Las Vegas is a more viable NHL market than Phoenix, long-term?" That way, anyone who votes "yes" in either poll, I can just add to my ignore list. It will cut down on a lot of unnecessary reading out on the main board, I think.

Old
09-09-2009, 03:48 PM
TeamTippett
Formally TeamTurris

Quote:
Thanks.

BTW, I'm thinking of starting a couple of polls on the polls board. One, "Do you think that Kansas City is a more viable NHL market than Phoenix, long-term?" Two, "Do you think that Las Vegas is a more viable NHL market than Phoenix, long-term?" That way, anyone who votes "yes" in either poll, I can just add to my ignore list. It will cut down on a lot of unnecessary reading out on the main board, I think.
thats why I only hang out here with the other 12 lowly Coyotes fans. But, I do like your system of elimination, without naming folks how may people are currently on your, "ignore" list.

Last edited by PhoPhan: 09-09-2009 at 04:01 PM. Reason: Let's be civil
Old
09-09-2009, 04:03 PM
RR

I moved here in 2000, but attended my first Coyotes game here during the inaugural season. Maybe some of you who have had season tickets since the beginning might remember the game I attended: it was against Boston and was originally scheduled for either 6 or 7 pm on a Saturday night. Then they changed it to an afternoon game a day or two before it was to be played. The place was still packed.

That night the Roadrunners were playing and we decided to hit that game as well. At least 3,000 were in attendance, and I remember being amazed that 15,000+ for an NHL game, and another 3,000+ for an IHL game, all on the same day, and in freakin PHOENIX!

That was 13 years ago, and if that doesn't describe a viable hockey market I don't what does. Yeah, it was new, but so was Colorado. But the 'Lanche started winning right from the start. I have no doubt that if Quebec had come here (with its ownership/management) and Winnipeg went to Denver (with our ownership/management), it's the 'Lanche that would be under assault by Balsillie.

Old
09-09-2009, 04:14 PM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamTurris View Post
prob nothing tomorrow rather Fri
Yah, there's still a ton of legal issues waiting for attention. I also got the impression from comments by the Judge that he's probably not going to issue a ruling till sometime next week. Maybe I'll be surprised though.

Old
09-09-2009, 04:17 PM
zz

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouser View Post
Yah, there's still a ton of legal issues waiting for attention. I also got the impression from comments by the Judge that he's probably not going to issue a ruling till sometime next week. Maybe I'll be surprised though.
"mouser
Global Moderator"

What's next - Jedi??

Old
09-09-2009, 04:28 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
thats why I only hang out here with the other 12 lowly Coyotes fans. But, I do like your system of elimination, without naming folks how may people are currently on your, "ignore" list.
Zip. I emptied it after the draft.

Old
09-09-2009, 04:42 PM
Grabovski
Грабовский правил

Quote:
I thought it was Holland all this time.

America invented Football, Baseball and Basketball perhaps we should take those back while were at it.
Actually Hockey was invented by Canadians and Basketball was also invented by a Canadian.

Old
09-09-2009, 04:44 PM
k1llua

Send a message via AIM to k1llua
Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleLeafs38 View Post
Actually Hockey was invented by Canadians and Basketball was also invented by a Canadian.
Just by looking at your avatar, stay classy, man. It's doing you a lot of good.

Old
09-09-2009, 04:47 PM
knowsthegame

The only decision that really matters to us yotes fans is if the judge allows Balsille's bid at the auction or not.
If not, it's all over for Balsille and the NHL will have lots of time to make a deal with JR or IE and we will have a team to build upon for the future with new management.
The NHL believes in the Phoenix market. They only threatened moving to get the CoG to still make concessions even though their offer has no conditions regarding the renogiation of the arena lease.
Balsille's offer cannot be considered for many reasons already stated.
Judge Baum has to follow protocal so that when he decides, all sides will have had the opportunity to state their case and have it heard.
Just because he hasn't given his ruling doesn't mean that he is actually going to rule in Balsille's favour.
I am confident that he will award the team to the NHL.
No bankrupcy judge wants his court to be used as a means to circumvent a professional sports league's rights and rules.

Old
09-09-2009, 04:54 PM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz View Post
"mouser
Global Moderator"

What's next - Jedi??
Obviously there's some kind of error in the HFB database, I'm sure they'll get it fixed up soon

Old
09-09-2009, 05:20 PM
yakko

Quote:
Originally Posted by RousselRising View Post
I moved here in 2000, but attended my first Coyotes game here during the inaugural season. Maybe some of you who have had season tickets since the beginning might remember the game I attended: it was against Boston and was originally scheduled for either 6 or 7 pm on a Saturday night. Then they changed it to an afternoon game a day or two before it was to be played. The place was still packed.
I have not lived in the area since the team moved there, but I have gone to a lot of games over the years. When I went to games back when the team was just good enough to barely make the playoffs and lose in the first round, that awful America West Arena was still packed. I went to one of the playoff games the last time the team made the playoffs (and lost 4-1 to San Jose in the first round) and that same, awful America West Arena was rocking.

I really doubt it would take that much success to get people to come out to games. If they can get themselves into the playoff hunt most seasons, make some noise now and then, I really think Phoenix would be in great shape with attendance.

The team hasn't had any success at all in years. It's been a remarkable run of futility and most casual fans of any sport get tired of watching their home team consistently lose.

Old
09-09-2009, 05:36 PM
SniperHF
Global Moderator
Desert Ranger

Quote:
Thanks.

I already did that with some polls other people made a few months back about JB Vs NHL, Move the team yes or no?, etc from a few months ago.

Old
09-09-2009, 05:38 PM
TeamTippett
Formally TeamTurris

mark my words, the Suns go on a 7 year drought - you will hear a pin drop in that building. Look at the D-back, their averaging 24-26K in a building that seats 50K and their a pathetic team. As a percentage, were doing much better than that.

Old
09-09-2009, 05:43 PM
Naych_PHX
Are you, kidding me?

Quote:
mark my words, the Suns go on a 7 year drought - you will hear a pin drop in that building. Look at the D-back, their averaging 24-26K in a building that seats 50K and their a pathetic team. As a percentage, were doing much better than that.
The silver lining to the Suns and Dbacks going on a drought is that you would have two bad teams downtown and possibly, hopefully, God willing have two up and coming teams drawing people out to Glendale.

Old
09-09-2009, 06:27 PM
Alamo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleLeafs38 View Post
Actually, The British invented hockey.
http://hockeytribute.com/who-invented-hockey.shtml
and Basketball was invented by a Canadian who moved to and became an American.

Either way, What are you trying to get at here?

Old
09-09-2009, 06:45 PM
hao chi

Now there's two people on my ignore list.

Old
09-09-2009, 07:06 PM
Alberta Yote
Nice run

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouser View Post
Obviously there's some kind of error in the HFB database, I'm sure they'll get it fixed up soon
I was thinking about applying for the position.

Does it pay well?

Old
09-09-2009, 07:56 PM
Colt45Blast
is in your head

I find it sad that we didn't see more of an interest to buy and keep the team in Phoenix beside JR IE and the NHL.

Arizona is supposed to be the fastest growing places for millionaires to move to. Surely there has to be a few here with very deep pockets who can buy(although will is another story ) the team. What about the owners of Cold Stone or Taser International surely they must have deep pockets?
Posted via Mobile Device

Old
09-09-2009, 08:21 PM
Art.Vandelay
@kash2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump Hasek View Post
Greed is not the issue, the bankrupt team is, this is just a business after all.
How can you say greed is not the issue? Greed is one of the main reasons the Coyotes are in their current situation. What's next, are you going to post something about how you feel sorry for Lehman Brothers?
Posted via Mobile Device

Old
09-09-2009, 08:23 PM
SuperDave21
Hockey Paradise

Quote:
Hey! I better be on that prestigious list!

Old
09-09-2009, 08:26 PM
Art.Vandelay
@kash2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz View Post
The other 3 major sports in town (Cards, Suns, D-Backs) saw their attendance vary by a huge margin based on whether or not they had a winning product.

Every other sunbelt NHL team has had success when they made the playoffs - LA, San Jose, Anaheim, Dallas, Colorado, Tampa Bay, Hurricanes.

So let me flip the question. Explain to me why you think winning might not turn the franchise around?
The crappy economy isn't exactly helping either. The Cards went to the super bowl last year and are already have trouble selling out games. And this isn't just a AZ thing. As of today, 19 NFL teams are facing local TV blackouts because they can't sell out the games.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old
09-09-2009, 08:31 PM
Art.Vandelay
@kash2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakko View Post
I went to one of the playoff games the last time the team made the playoffs (and lost 4-1 to San Jose in the first round) and that same, awful America West Arena was rocking.
I was there too. The place was rocking. It was cool to hear 15,000 people all chanting "Ricci Sucks". (We probably should have chanted that when he came here too)
Posted via Mobile Device

Old
09-09-2009, 08:48 PM
Colt45Blast
is in your head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art.Vandelay View Post
The crappy economy isn't exactly helping either. The Cards went to the super bowl last year and are already have trouble selling out games. And this isn't just a AZ thing. As of today, 19 NFL teams are facing local TV blackouts because they can't sell out the games.
Posted via Mobile Device
Talking with STH who sat next to me at the games last season he said this year is supposed to be a rough time for most major sport teams.
He even cited the Yankees even with their new stadium and very expensive tickets. Of course from what I can see from tonight game attendance doesn't appear to be an issue when the team is in first in the AL East.
Posted via Mobile Device

Closed Thread