HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Notices

Coyotes Ownership/Financial Situation #7

Closed Thread

Old
09-09-2009, 09:29 PM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Yote View Post
I was thinking about applying for the position.

Does it pay well?
They promised me 500 vcash, but I negotiated them up to the 500 plus if I ever run out they'll give me 50 more.

Couple tidbits I've learned recently: Glendale is willing to let Ice Edge have the 5 games elsewhere. City would have preferred IE's bid over the NHL's, and they're not interested in JB's $40m to $50m offer to buy them out.

Don't know all the details why IE and CoG couldn't finalize in time for auction, but they're still talking. If the NHL bid wins or the Judge somehow extends the auction date we'll probably see IE in play still

Old
09-09-2009, 10:48 PM
phxroadrunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RousselRising View Post
I moved here in 2000, but attended my first Coyotes game here during the inaugural season. Maybe some of you who have had season tickets since the beginning might remember the game I attended: it was against Boston and was originally scheduled for either 6 or 7 pm on a Saturday night. Then they changed it to an afternoon game a day or two before it was to be played. The place was still packed.

That night the Roadrunners were playing and we decided to hit that game as well. At least 3,000 were in attendance, and I remember being amazed that 15,000+ for an NHL game, and another 3,000+ for an IHL game, all on the same day, and in freakin PHOENIX!

That was 13 years ago, and if that doesn't describe a viable hockey market I don't what does. Yeah, it was new, but so was Colorado. But the 'Lanche started winning right from the start. I have no doubt that if Quebec had come here (with its ownership/management) and Winnipeg went to Denver (with our ownership/management), it's the 'Lanche that would be under assault by Balsillie.
Good points. I've been a STH since day one and attended this unique hockey doubleheader as well.
Game time was moved to 1:00PM and was televised regionally on Fox (I've got programs -- scored--from both games. Slow - footed D man Jayson More scored in OT to win it for Phx).
I also had a 10-game mini plan for the Roadrunners that season. They lost that night to the Quebec Rafales 5-2. Your attendance estimate was a little light as, according to my program, there were 7,213 on hand that night in the 13,739 seat coliseum. I remember the crowd being significantly larger than most crowds that season, attributed no doubt by hockey fans like you and me who saw this as a unique experience. I also remember the ticket prices were slashed to 1972 levels as part of a "turn back the clock" promo, which also saw the 'runners don their royal blue and gold sweaters from that era (incredible how one's memory is improved by scored programs and accompanying game notes).
I agree completely with your point about the Denver market. Before the Avalanche arrived Denver was a joke of a hockey market. The old WHL's Denver Spurs were that leagues worst draw for years, and we all know how miserably the Rockies failed.

Old
09-09-2009, 11:49 PM
TeamTippett
Formally TeamTurris

caught this little gem:
http://tsn.ca/mlb/story/?id=290561

Quote:
TORONTO -- The Toronto Blue Jays hit a new low Wednesday night, and for a change it didn't come on the field.

Only 11,159 fans were on hand as Canadian slugger Justin Morneau homered off Roy Halladay in the eighth inning of a 4-1 Minnesota Twins victory, the smallest crowd in the history of Rogers Centre. The previous low of 12,571 came on April 30, 2002 versus Texas, when the building was still known as SkyDome.
heck 11,159 thats less than the just under 13K the Coyotes averaged all of last season. Just goes to show you that even in Toronto, when a team sucks people just don't come out. Maybe they should move the Blue Jays to the untapped market of Western Texas? I hear thats where the true Baseball fans reside.

Shouldn't the Jays be able to support them selfs, rather than receive revenue sharing from the Yankees and the Red Sox? Come on Jay's fans! Support your team! Maybe the Baseball experiment of bringing it to Canada doesn't work and it's time we realize that. Just saying...

Last edited by TeamTippett: 09-10-2009 at 12:07 AM.
Old
09-10-2009, 12:11 AM
AZCOYOT

It's because the Skydome is in such a bad location, think nothing of the product..

Old
09-10-2009, 12:44 AM
indczn

The fans are responsible for putting their butts in the seats.

Old
09-10-2009, 06:28 AM
mitch27

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamTurris View Post
caught this little gem:

heck 11,159 thats less than the just under 13K the Coyotes averaged all of last season. Just goes to show you that even in Toronto, when a team sucks people just don't come out. Maybe they should move the Blue Jays to the untapped market of Western Texas? I hear thats where the true Baseball fans reside.

Shouldn't the Jays be able to support them selfs, rather than receive revenue sharing from the Yankees and the Red Sox? Come on Jay's fans! Support your team! Maybe the Baseball experiment of bringing it to Canada doesn't work and it's time we realize that. Just saying...
I love this. Maybe now people from Toronto will be able to understand what we're talking about now.

Old
09-10-2009, 08:05 AM
Made in Motown

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch27 View Post
I love this. Maybe now people from Toronto will be able to understand what we're talking about now.
Let me start by saying I have no sympathy for either Bettman or Balsillie, it's the fans in Phoenix that get screwed.

The Toronto Blue Jays situation is not a good comparison, baseball is a completely different business. Check out the numbers.

Blue Jays: http://www.forbes.com/lists/2009/33/...ys_339533.html

Coyotes: http://www.forbes.com/lists/2008/31/...es_315126.html

The Blue Jays gate receipts and revenue are comparable to what the Red Wings make, and the team is actually worth about $50 million more than the Wings.

Old
09-10-2009, 09:29 AM
bcrt2000

Quote:
caught this little gem:

Canadians aren't born and bread on Baseball. Most wouldn't care less if the Blue Jays left. That being said one of the big media conglomerates (Rogers) in Canada owns the Blue Jays so even if they aren't making money on paper, on a macro level they aren't really losing money (due to ancillary revenues from Rogers Centre/TV/Radio which Rogers also owns and operates).

Last edited by bcrt2000: 09-10-2009 at 09:36 AM.
Old
09-10-2009, 11:18 AM
Uhmkay
Weber2Canucks2013

Quote:
caught this little gem:

Don't even kid yourself. If Canadians had a choice between keeping the Jays or bringing another team to Canada....

"Make it Seven"

The fact that the Coyotes are averaging 13K doesn't tell the whole story. A huge chunk of those tickets are essentially free. I was down there last march and you could go buy a bottle of Vodka... and they'd give ya 2 tickets to the coyotes game. We thought it was funny because it was at a liquor store so people are getting boozed up BEFORE the game and not spending their money on beer AT the game.

We ended up buying a bottle of the Vodka, went and played Golf and were then given 2 free tickets in the clubhouse.... to the SAME game.

Old
09-10-2009, 11:20 AM
Uhmkay
Weber2Canucks2013

Here is a blog of the preceedings in the courtroom this morning.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=290588

Old
09-10-2009, 11:50 AM
zyllyx
STH Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhmkay View Post
The fact that the Coyotes are averaging 13K doesn't tell the whole story. A huge chunk of those tickets are essentially free. I was down there last march and you could go buy a bottle of Vodka... and they'd give ya 2 tickets to the coyotes game. We thought it was funny because it was at a liquor store so people are getting boozed up BEFORE the game and not spending their money on beer AT the game.
So let me get this straight - you go to one game, find a two free tickets offer on a bottle of vodka, and then you extrapolate the "whole story" of franchise attendance off of your own personal experience?

Old
09-10-2009, 11:57 AM
YotesFan

Our good Lawyer doing a pretty good job examining a JB witness.

http://twitter.com/brahmresnik

Old
09-10-2009, 12:08 PM
zz
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhmkay View Post
I was down there last march and you could go buy a bottle of Vodka... and they'd give ya 2 tickets to the coyotes game. We thought it was funny because it was at a liquor store so people are getting boozed up BEFORE the game and not spending their money on beer AT the game.

We ended up buying a bottle of the Vodka, went and played Golf and were then given 2 free tickets in the clubhouse.... to the SAME game.
I find it fascinating how much virtual ink has been poured over that one game promotion.

You'll also notice that Coyotes/Blues game had one of the 5 worst attendance numbers of the season (13,761). Conclusion - the vodka promotion had zero effect on attendance. None. Zilch. Nada. Boozers just like you bought the half-gallon bottle of Vodka, made a lot of noise about the stupidity (hard to argue that point) of the whole thing, and ended up not going to the game anyway.

It also seems all of Canada was in town during that promotion, because you're not the first one coming here with this cheap shot. I guess you guys like your Smirnoff, eh?

Considering you're probably a proud Canadian hockey fan, I find it very ironic for you to come here and lecture us about supporting our team finacially when you're not even capable of shelling out $30 to see a live hockey game while in town. May I ask why? Oh, because the team sucks? That's interesting...

Old
09-10-2009, 12:22 PM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

From the court feeds: reportedly Ice Edge has/had a deal in place with TGO that reduced his salary from $8m to $2m

Old
09-10-2009, 12:24 PM
YotesFan

I don't get it:

Coyotes BK: Bombshell from judge: "There's third possibility here - no sale. It's more than theoretical. You all ought to keep that in mind."

http://twitter.com/brahmresnik/status/3891666029

Old
09-10-2009, 12:25 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Baum stating that their could be No Sale ? ... wtf ... they going to dissolve the team ?

Old
09-10-2009, 12:47 PM
ower

vCash: 966
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conando View Post
Baum stating that their could be No Sale ? ... wtf ... they going to dissolve the team ?
I'd take that over the team going to Canada

Old
09-10-2009, 12:55 PM
Colt45Blast
It Works Everytime!

Assuming the judge says no sale, is he then more likely to rule on who was in control of the team prior to the May 5 filing?
Posted via Mobile Device

Old
09-10-2009, 12:56 PM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conando View Post
Presumably the NHL would continue to run the team and the Judge would extend the time available for new bidders to appear or someone to alter their bid to make it acceptable.

Old
09-10-2009, 01:00 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz View Post
Considering you're probably a proud Canadian hockey fan, I find it very ironic for you to come here and lecture us about supporting our team finacially when you're not even capable of shelling out $30 to see a live hockey game while in town. May I ask why? Oh, because the team sucks? That's interesting...
Git em double zed!

Old
09-10-2009, 01:01 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by YotesFan View Post
I don't get it:

Coyotes BK: Bombshell from judge: "There's third possibility here - no sale. It's more than theoretical. You all ought to keep that in mind."

http://twitter.com/brahmresnik/status/3891666029
With this judge, I'd say doing absolutely nothing is by far the most likely outcome.

Old
09-10-2009, 01:03 PM
Confucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by ower View Post
I wish Judge Baum was King Solomon.

Old
09-10-2009, 01:18 PM
jstreet

vCash: 50
Im truly sorry you guys are going through this. Id rather see the team dissolved also than to see JB get his dirty hands on it.

Old
09-10-2009, 02:14 PM
pyregretzky

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnlikestars View Post
Im truly sorry you guys are going through this. Id rather see the team dissolved also than to see JB get his dirty hands on it.
Thanks for the sympathy. Since you had to go through a similar situation do you have any tips or secrets that might be helpful?

Old
09-10-2009, 02:16 PM
Alberta Yote
Nice run

Quote:
Originally Posted by ower View Post
Then you aren't thinking any more of the fans that have already followed this franchise through one relocation and would again (along with new Yotes fans that would keep allegiance) any more than you all complain that people north of the border are thinking about you.

Closed Thread