HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canes Keeper League Season 3

Old
10-05-2009, 11:07 AM
geehaad

vCash: 500
Thanks for the PM, Dale...got it. With post #81 I was trying to let y'all know that I'd be out of contact for the weekend, hoping to prevent anyone from expecting things to move past me before now. I status-check this thread often, so for the most part there won't be an issue with making my picks timely.

The Raleigh Llama selects Dimitry Kulikov with their first pick.

geehaad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 02:07 PM
geehaad

Prospect team news...

If we're *really* going to give the Prospects team a chance of beating a "real" team, then we need to put some effort into keeping active NHL players on its roster.

There a couple of things to consider...one is that a non-NHL prospect that is released from the Prospect team would later get picked up by a GM and the other is how difficult it will be to keep active NHL prospect players on the roster. I think the latter isn't something to worry about...if we keep it up-to-date, great, if not, no worries. The former is mitigated by a couple of things:

1) The "K" (for Keeper) indicator stays with the prospect even after they've been released. If you're adding a free agent, watch for this and make sure that you're not about to pick up one of the original prospects.
2) As long as the player is still marked as NA, the likelihood that someone will pick them up is low, and even if they do, they will not gain points from the player.

Obviously the kink in the plan is that if a player moves from NA to active without us catching it, and then someone picks up that player, then the intent of the Prospects team is lost. However, there are active NHL free agents who are owned prospects but don't have the K designation, so there's even a *greater* risk for those to be picked up inadvertently than the ones that are currently marked as NA, so the risk is already there.

I think that this risk will be most reduced if GMs keep an active eye on their prospects and let the Prospect GMs (I know that Dave and I are doing this...if anyone else is helping, speak up) know when your prospect has joined his big club. When we're notified, if there's room to add him, we'll add him to the Prospect team. One way to keep up with this is to Flag all of your prospects and occasionally check your Watch List to see what they're up to.

Overall, this should help the prospect team and should help to prevent your kid from getting picked up by another GM accidentally.

Old
10-05-2009, 02:27 PM
geehaad

Oh yeah, one more thing I have found and would like us to consider...

I have found Steve Downie was not listed as being "owned" at the moment, but he hasn't played in 65 NHL games as of yet, and he was drafted by The Gleason Superstars in 2007. My guess is that after the 2007-2008 season, since he had played in 32 games (over the previous 25-game maximum), he was no longer exempt, but under the new 65-game maximum, he would still be TGS property.

So the question is, do we want to allow GMs to bring these fledgling back into their nest? My vote would be yes.

There might be more examples out there, so you might want to check your prospects...

Old
10-06-2009, 03:25 PM
geehaad

Many apologies, folks...I forgot to send a message to Smithfield Hayseeds' GM. However, I must be some kind of idiot, because I can't figure out how to PM on this sucker...can someone help?

Old
10-06-2009, 03:28 PM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
The Red Scare of '14

Click the user's name and a drop down menu will have "Send a private message" on it. HERE is a direct link.

10-06-2009, 04:08 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
I'm here, i'm sorry. I'll be making my pick in a moment.

Vagrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 04:10 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Hayseeds select Jared Cowen.

Old
10-06-2009, 04:38 PM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

EBD selects Ryan Ellis

vwg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 09:59 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
Drunks go way off the board and select Jacob Josefson.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 11:21 PM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
That was actually who I was considering behind Ellis because I badly need center help but Ellis looks like he could be another Mike Green (although he won't score 30 goals ever), so I figured if he pans out he'll be very valuable in the fantasy hockey world.

Old
10-06-2009, 11:29 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

Ellis and Kulikov are the two I was REALLY hoping would be there with my pick. I think you're spot on with Ellis and I see a lot of Andrei Markov in Kulikov. Both picks I REALLY wish had still been on the board, but Josefson, from all reports, is the real deal. A line of Josefson with his playmaking and Tedenby with his scoring could be dangerous long term in New Jersey. I'm strong down the middle already with Staal, Backstrom, Oshie, Frolik, Boychuk, Wahl and now Josefson. But I'm not 100% convinced that Boychuk, Oshie and Frolik won't be moved to the wing, in fact I'd bet on Boychuk and Oshie being wingers full time soon enough. Besides, when in doubt, BPA. There's up to 5 spots a center can play in this league anyway.

Old
10-06-2009, 11:35 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

The main reason I went with Cowen is because Ottawa needs big time help on the defensive end of the ice and Cowen could potentially break in there and really hit an offensive stride. Plus, I like his little mean streak in a league that records PIM value. That's one of the main reasons I picked Lucic so long ago in our fantasy draft and it ended up working out for me.

I thought about Ellis, but decided against it because to me he's a bit like Tobias Enstrom and i'm not a big fan of his.

Old
10-06-2009, 11:35 PM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

I think I'm pretty much set on D prospects now, I've got:

Suter
Hedman
Bogosian
Ellis
Karlsson

Might have to get rid of one later for some help at center or goaltender

Old
10-06-2009, 11:39 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

I really think we should eventually look into a three season from draft date minimum in regards to losing the rights to a prospect. Some guys that you have to protect are nowhere near NHL caliber players yet but undoubtedly have tremendous future value. It's tough to see your drafted guys cut loose because you need to win now.

Old
10-06-2009, 11:44 PM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
The main reason I went with Cowen is because Ottawa needs big time help on the defensive end of the ice and Cowen could potentially break in there and really hit an offensive stride. Plus, I like his little mean streak in a league that records PIM value. That's one of the main reasons I picked Lucic so long ago in our fantasy draft and it ended up working out for me.

I thought about Ellis, but decided against it because to me he's a bit like Tobias Enstrom and i'm not a big fan of his.
I'm glad the Sens drafted Cowan. I think he would complement Karlsson very well if they were paired together in the future.

I think Ellis could be a lot better than Enstrom though, at least potential wise. His offensive game is unreal for a defenseman and even though he's small, he's no defensive slouch and doesn't shy away from contact. His defense could use some work but most d-men in junior could. Rafalski is another comparison I like to make.

Old
10-06-2009, 11:52 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
I really think we should eventually look into a three season from draft date minimum in regards to losing the rights to a prospect. Some guys that you have to protect are nowhere near NHL caliber players yet but undoubtedly have tremendous future value. It's tough to see your drafted guys cut loose because you need to win now.
That's part of the reason I upped it to 65 games for prospect status this past offseason. With 25 games a guy like Nodl, who is a very good prospect, but is not NHL ready, would have to be protected. His value to a fantasy team right now is negligible, but long term he has the potential to be a 25 goal, 55 point guy IMO, which is something that even the best fantasy teams could use.

Old
10-07-2009, 07:49 AM
faulkingdynamic
J Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
he was actually going to be my next pick if he lasted that long.

faulkingdynamic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 03:53 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

Cole's World selects Scott Glennie via email

Old
10-07-2009, 08:03 PM
Cory Lavalette
Hockey's Future Staff

Send a message via AIM to Cory Lavalette
Zack Kassian, please

10-09-2009, 09:42 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

two errors I made on the prospects lists, but thankfully neither was drafted or picked up as a UFA.

Downie is still a Gleason Superstars prospect
Lashoff is still a Smithfield Hayseeds prospect

Old
10-12-2009, 01:50 PM
geehaad

Has LaRosefortheHart been notified?

Old
10-12-2009, 01:52 PM
Tank King Jimmy
DO LESS BETTER

vCash: 813
He has now. Not sure how I didn't notice it was my pick...

Peter Holland it is

Last edited by Tank King Jimmy: 10-12-2009 at 01:57 PM.
Tank King Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 02:42 PM
bleedgreen

jordan schroeder

bleedgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 03:39 PM
geehaad

Caner Soze: I looked at your "need" but I'm afraid I can't help. I'm actively using all of my Cs, and Antropov doesn't yet have the trade value that I think he'll have eventually (centering Kovalchuk).

Take luck.

Old
10-12-2009, 04:06 PM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

Yeah I don't necessarily want to trade Vanek or Kessel, but if I can get a good young center in return I'll do it. I have no depth at all there.