HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

a great article about Carey Price from P Hickey.

Old
09-09-2009, 07:26 AM
PunkinDrublic*

vCash: 500
a great article about Carey Price from P Hickey.

http://www.montrealgazette.com/sport...920/story.html

I don't always agree with P Hickey and we all know what a huge Price fan i am, but i agree with him in this article.

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2009, 08:19 AM
LouisJCloutier

Good article, but I don't agree with him

Overall Price had a rough season, but everyone keeps forgetting that until he got injured, he was on top in every category.

By the time he came back after the all-star game, the Habs were already having some trouble for a couple of games, and everything went downhill from there.

Why all the blame on a 21 years-old goaltenders ? Doesn't anybody remember how horrible the defense was in front him ?

You only need one hand to count the number of player that had a good season last year, every single other players had a tough times.

Price was just a number in the equation, nothing more.

LouisJCloutier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2009, 08:26 AM
GNick42

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsNewGeneration View Post

I don't always agree with P Hickey and we all know what a huge Price fan i am, but i agree with him in this article.
You can't tell nothing by goaltending...it is so much mental...Price would be the next Dan Blackburn or another Cam Ward. Price ended the year on a rough note last year but Martin's system can make goalies look better than they are. This season will tell Price's future in Montreal. As Halak is waiting in the wings in case he faulters.

GNick42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2009, 08:28 AM
Bryzga lol*

Agree with the article. Carey is fantastic, but the Habs need to challenge him with Price and even Sanford. The last quarter of his NHL career so far has been pretty rotten, so he needs to prove to the coaching staff that he's a reliable starter before leapfrogging Halak because of his draft status.

Bryzga lol* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2009, 08:33 AM
ti-vite

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNick42 View Post
You can't tell nothing by goaltending...it is so much mental...Price would be the next Dan Blackburn or another Cam Ward. Price ended the year on a rough note last year but Martin's system can make goalies look better than they are. This season will tell Price's future in Montreal. As Halak is waiting in the wings in case he faulters.
I think the change in D this year, along with Martin, will greatly help Carey. The type/varriety of D I like.

It should be a good season for him confidence wise.

ti-vite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2009, 08:56 AM
Pascal

The article doesn't say much except re-iterate what we already know: Price sucked last year. Is showing confidence in Price such a bad thing at this point? Should he say "well Carey was bad in the 2nd half so we'll see..."? I think that'd be a worse thing to say from Martin's standpoint.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2009, 09:11 AM
habfan1968

I usually agree with Pat Hickey but I disagree with a couple of points.
We did lose a few too many games down the stretch last season but we also stopped scoring goals as well. Also, to say the reason we made the playoffs is Halaks'play when Price was injured well, that is just silly, Price was in the top ten in GAA, and Save % before the All Star break and we won plenty of games during that time, some we only won because Price kept in those games. As far as his overall season he ends up with respectable numbers overall on the season, and although he had a few more losses he only had one less win so Hickey may have exaggerated the significance of those numbers as a huge step backwards. IMHO glory goes around equally on a team and so does the blame when things don't go well.

habfan1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2009, 09:15 AM
Evil Ted

oh Halak the forgotten goaltender.

Hes performed so well for the habs but gotten so little credit/chances.

Evil Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2009, 09:15 AM
SpezNc

I just don't like this article...

P.hickey said that the habs got in the playoffs because of Halak. It's just not true...

The habs got in the playoffs because that were a VERY strong team in the first half Competing with Boston for the nord-east title.

After that, the team got a lot of up and down. Mostly DOWN...

It's true that without the Halak Streak, the habs would have miss the playoffs but the truth is, the habs would have miss playoffs without the Price's wins earlier in the season too...

So the argument is just useless.

The bottom line is that Price lost confidence after his return in the end of January and didn't play at his potential...

Halak is strong goalie, don't get be wrong. he got talent and showed good stats last year. But he didn't have the same level of pressure as Price.

We cannot just compare their season last year only by the final stats.

At this point, there is nothing wrong in getting Price some confidence. It's a new start, a new season.

We need to get over last season.

It's a new season. Come up... Can we just forget for a minute last season...

And after, if Halak is TRULLY the best goaltender, we can reopen the subject.

But by now, Price is no 1.... no question.

SpezNc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2009, 09:22 AM
GNick42

If Pat Hickey wanted to do an article on Price, he should have homed in on his off season training procedure this year. Compare it to last year's, and got Carey's opinion of each

GNick42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2009, 09:28 AM
Boris Le Tigre
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Admittedly, I didn't read this article yet.

I'm only cautiously optimistic Price can rebound. He has great athleticism and physical tools. At times that allows him to look brilliant in the net. And he does make the big saves.

The cautious part comes from his mentality as to me he has a lot of growing up to do and he also seems fragile. And I don't give too choclate nuggets about what he does off the ice, that's besides the point.

It's the immediate glance at the d-man after he's been beaten for a goal. It's the comments about fans/media ruining goalies in the past. Facing the music at the end of the year last year was a great start but he will need to do that kind of thing more, take control for himself, if he'll be as good as he could be.

It's a pivotal year for Price and we should see what he's made of this year. He can be a leader on this new team helping to set up a culture of accountability and teamwork.

He's young still so there's hope, but so far I say he's shown a lack of character.

Boris Le Tigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2009, 09:40 AM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris Le Tigre View Post
Admittedly, I didn't read this article yet.

I'm only cautiously optimistic Price can rebound. He has great athleticism and physical tools. At times that allows him to look brilliant in the net. And he does make the big saves.

The cautious part comes from his mentality as to me he has a lot of growing up to do and he also seems fragile. And I don't give too choclate nuggets about what he does off the ice, that's besides the point.

It's the immediate glance at the d-man after he's been beaten for a goal. It's the comments about fans/media ruining goalies in the past. Facing the music at the end of the year last year was a great start but he will need to do that kind of thing more, take control for himself, if he'll be as good as he could be.

It's a pivotal year for Price and we should see what he's made of this year. He can be a leader on this new team helping to set up a culture of accountability and teamwork.

He's young still so there's hope, but so far I say he's shown a lack of character.

Oh two choco nuggets? Well damn, that is serious, one nugget woulda been a joke, but two? **** son.

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2009, 09:45 AM
Boris Le Tigre
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarfangor View Post
Oh two choco nuggets? Well damn, that is serious, one nugget woulda been a joke, but two? **** son.
Is it two serious? I guess I may have come off a little two harsh their.

And if I gave only one choco nugget I wouldn't be true two the expression, as it where.

Boris Le Tigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2009, 09:46 AM
Biggsy

[QUOTE=LouisJCloutier;21024386]Good article, but I don't agree with him

Why all the blame on a 21 years-old goaltenders ? Doesn't anybody remember how horrible the defense was in front him ?
QUOTE]

Yeah i remember how bad the D was last year, just horrible. What did they avg. shots per game against like 35-40 thats tough for any goalie. I am excited to see the new group this fall.

Biggsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2009, 09:46 AM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris Le Tigre View Post
Is it two serious? I guess I may have come off a little two harsh their.

And if I gave only one choco nugget I wouldn't be true two the expression, as it where.
Touche good sir

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2009, 10:01 AM
Darz

100% fluff article.

What to you expect Martin to say?? If he questions Price as the #1 going into camp, he creates unneeded speculation and such that would be a distraction from the team.

I don't doubt, if at any time, Martin isn't happy with Price as his #1 guy, he will make a switch, but why rock the boat at this time.

09-09-2009, 10:14 AM
carey31price31

To say that Halak is the reason why the Habs made the playoffs is partially true but it was both Halak and Price who helped the Canadiens' make the playoffs.

Face it, if Price doesn't win his 23 games last season the Habs don't make the playoffs, same goes if Halak doesn't win his 18 the Habs wouldn't have made it. It is unfair to just say Halak is the only reason why they made it, because you take away just 1 of Price's wins and the Habs would of been on the outside looking in. Hockey is a team game, you win as a team, and lose as a team. Yes, Halak stepped up when Price game was struggling, but why doesn't anyone every talk about the numbers Price was putting up before he got injured?

carey31price31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2009, 10:40 AM
MathMan

It's not "great". W-L-T is only a peripheral statistic when evaluating a goaltender (hockey is a team game, remember) -- yet it's basically what he bases his entire argument on.

We know Halak is a good goalie and we know Price had a very rough half-season, which was not helped by the complete systemic collapse of the Habs. However, at his best Price has been an elite goalie, it really is that simple.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2009, 11:17 AM
LesCanadiens

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsNewGeneration View Post

Me too. One of only a few times I've disagreed with Gainey's coaching decision. He should had gone with Halak all the way. It was clear Price was having an emotional breakdown and showing a "poor me" attitude. Not exactly a picture of confidence and composure....pure playoff suicide to depend on a goalie with "issues".

LesCanadiens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2009, 11:26 AM
Magic33

I personally don't care if Jim Carrey is our number 1 goalie, as long as he is performing. I dont care about the name of our goalie in the net, I care about how he is performing. If Price comes in and sucks, so be it, Halak takes over. If Halak plays well, then he should be our go to guy. If Price plays well, then he should be our go to guy. Simple as that.

Magic33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2009, 11:27 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Had the rest of the team performed well, I'd be worried. Considering only a few players did on a consistent basis, I'm not. Also, our defense is pretty good going into this year, so they should help Price build confidence like nothing.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2009, 11:42 AM
Hermamoud

If Jacques Martin managed to get 36, 27, 39 and 25 wins out of Patrick Lalime, I'm looking forward to see what he can do with Carey Price.

Hermamoud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2009, 12:09 PM
la25ecoupe

How about the fact that Price got a new, younger coach? That should help.

Where is Jesus btw?

la25ecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2009, 12:15 PM
carey31price31

Quote:
Originally Posted by la25ecoupe View Post
How about the fact that Price got a new, younger coach? That should help.

Where is Jesus btw?
He arrived at camp today and was on the ice as well according to the Team990. Markov and Andrei Kostitsyn are the only two veterans who haven't arrived yet.

carey31price31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2009, 12:36 PM
LouisJCloutier

I'm starting of having enough of Andrei «princess» Markov attitude.

You're the veteran of that team and you can't even show up for two day of skating at Brossard ?

I hope that Gainey will trade is wise ass ASAP !

LouisJCloutier is offline   Reply With Quote