HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

The Kessel File-Volume 2 - Phil Wants Out of Beantown

Closed Thread

Old
09-09-2009, 03:45 PM
The Messenger

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by song4thedeaf View Post
The biggest asset the Leafs have is cap space, and Boston doesn't have any choice with that..

You're right with that. But because a team has space, doesn't mean Boston is just going to ship off one of their marquee guys for peanuts.

Derek Morris was good offensively 10 years ago. Kaberle is a huge upgrade over Morris.

No arguments there, Kaberle is defiently better than Morris, though Boston already has their D set, sure, they could take Kaberle and be forced to move someone else (my guess Ference) and have a VERY scary top 4 D of Chara-Wideman, Morris- Kaberle... but still I just do not think Kaberle is peice Boston is interested anymore, because the trade at the draft was kiaboshed, Chia has already addressed the puck moving dman with Morris

This move would not surprise me, but I'm very hopeful it would not happen.

I agree... I do not see it happening, but with some additions here and there I think this is the deal that can be made would love to know MORE leaf fans opinion of a Kessel for Schenn straight up deal, or what would be needed to make the deal work?

Tlusty and Kulemin have the salary that Boston would want, and waiver eligability which gives them flexibility.

True... but still... its like making a deal with an esikmo...they are offering one of their prized possession... lets say some seal skin or something, a rare commodity which is coveted by many people... but in return, your giving ice... something that is plenty and the eskimos have no use for... maybe thats a bad example, but I am trying to paint a picture here, that Tlusty and Kulemin just wouldn't fit in Beantown and not what they would want in return for Kessel because there is no need for those players in boston

The salary cap may be the determining factor. Of course there is no loss to Burke if the deal is matched. He just sits back and waits to see what else is available to him.

For sure, some other poster speculated, perhaps its a move so that Boston signs Kessel and than forced to move someone (Kobasew) who seems to be the type of player BB would want... than again Chia and Burkie are supposed to be friends... maybe they are cooking something else up behind closed doors... (speculating again here)

Seems about the right money, but I'd bet it will be 5 years.

I don't see the 5 year deal, because that will eat up 1 year of UFA... I mean it could happen, but look at the deal people get their first year of UFA (J-Bow good example) its their lotto ticket and time to cash in. I see it being a 3-4 years... if I was the GM I would be gunning for the 3 years, because as mentioned, still 1 year left of RFA after the contract expires, which leaves for compensation if another offer sheet happened, VS the 5 year deal where the player is UFA and you get nothing back (kind of like the deal Jeff Carter signed last year)

It is too late for Burke to tank. If he was willing to go that route, Kaberle would be gone, and Komi and Beauch would not be here.

well, those guys are building blocks for future (not so much Beauch) and I am not trying to be negative here, even if the leafs do aquire Kessel (he cannot play till december) I do not see them as a playoff team THIS YEAR... so why try and go for that 9th spot again, when you can take another year to re-load and be fully ready next year??

Either way, I am rather anxeious to see what happens here... as a fan of the bruins, personally I would want this... Burke send an offer sheet of 4.5-5mil or so for 3-4 years...Boston matches... Boston than trades Kobasew and Ferrence or Ryder to make room. In my eyes...

Kessel >>>> Ryder

Kessel >>>> than Kobasew and Ferrence

Kessel>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 1st, 2nd, 3rd (compensation of offer sheet)

So either A) Burke ponies up and knocks CHIA socks off with a great offer... or

B) He over pays an amount (5.5+) a year to kessel so boston won't dare sign... or

C) nothing at all happens and this is all scare tactics in order to help get trade talks moving
All good points re Kessel and I agree with you. But I think the end result will definately be a trade between Boston and Toronto. Ryder or Kobasew will be traded to Toronto. Toronto has enough leverage over Boston to ask for first dibs at any collateral damage caused by Boston re-signing Kessel.

Old
09-09-2009, 04:03 PM
Woodman19
#TeamBernier

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
Brian Burke to lose his mind.
yet I seem to recall about 95% of stars were at one time draft picks

Old
09-09-2009, 04:16 PM
Mogwai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Dancer View Post
All good points re Kessel and I agree with you. But I think the end result will definately be a trade between Boston and Toronto. Ryder or Kobasew will be traded to Toronto. Toronto has enough leverage over Boston to ask for first dibs at any collateral damage caused by Boston re-signing Kessel.
So do any other team with cap space and all 3 picks.

Old
09-09-2009, 04:17 PM
thepublichairs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubey View Post
hahahahaha

Boston is just going to throw in their top scorer from the playoffs in a deal with Phil Kessel. I'm pretty sure they are going to try and compete again this year.
Are you a leaf or bruins fan?

Old
09-09-2009, 04:18 PM
The Messenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phluxed View Post
So do any other team with cap space and all 3 picks.
Absolutely true. But who are those teams?

Old
09-09-2009, 04:32 PM
nuck
Axis of Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Dancer View Post
The Leafs don't need Ryder or Kobasew. If the Bs were to retain Kessel and wanted to deal Savard it would make more sense. I know he wants to stay in Boston but there is a good chance they were going to let him go next summer anyway as UFA for nothing. If they think PK will be a star and if they were going to move Savard anyways. His next contract will be a retirement gig so even with a bit of a home town discount he might be too rich for the Bruins. They do have other options at center.
The Leafs need more offense than Kobasew can provide and more physicality than Ryder. They have a bunch of young guys that might become Ryders already. What they most need is a number one center.

Old
09-09-2009, 05:03 PM
MrPiff17
Bay St. Bullies

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFMAN99 View Post
I would like to get a physical presence on that line....and I don't think Grabovski is the most natural playmaker out there.
Grabovski had more assists than goals at least, and a lot of them were really nice passes, but i do agree he's no Marc Savard obv, Poni can fit well on that line, he has somewhat of a offensive physical pressence, and even Bozak would fit well with Kessel given he's older than Kessel, and they're young hockey minds from Colligiate will mesh well together

Old
09-09-2009, 05:40 PM
Peace Frog

The assets that some of you are posting it would take to trade for Kessel, are extremely steep. Schenn? Are you kidding me? Burke isn't going to trade top prospects for Kessel.

It would make waaay more sense to submit an offer sheet. All we lose by doing that, is our 1st round pick. The other picks could be easily recouped in other deals.

Old
09-09-2009, 06:01 PM
LeafsGetTavares*

TML Give up... for Kessel

I think this could be a good thread. What would the leafs give up for Phil Kessel (and possibly more) if we traded for him... no offersheets.

1st Proposal:
To Toronto: Phil Kessel
To Boston: 2010 1st round draft pick, Ian White, 3rd round draft pick

2nd Proposal:
To Toronto: Phil Kessel, Savard
To Boston: Jiri Tlusty, 1st 2010, Ian White, Stalberg, 2nd 2010, 3rd 2010

What do you guys think? What are your offers?

Last edited by LeafsGetTavares*: 09-09-2009 at 06:07 PM.
Old
09-09-2009, 06:04 PM
TimeZone
Swedish Sensation

I think this needs to be deleted before any bruins fans see it.

Old
09-09-2009, 06:05 PM
Dark Knight
#WeTheNorth

There are two threads where you can discuss this topic.

Merged.

09-09-2009, 06:06 PM
Number13

Man, I thought you had news that the Leafs had given up on Phil Kessel.

Old
09-09-2009, 06:16 PM
sampollock

bruke loves to be in the press

Old
09-09-2009, 06:26 PM
iPunch
Leafs Fan

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by sampollock View Post
bruke loves to be in the press
People like yourself love reading about him. Its a perfect fit.

Old
09-09-2009, 07:13 PM
Mike1

This is a tough one. On one hand I hate this franchise's bad habit of dealing away draft picks. I'd like to see the Leafs go on a run where we keep our picks & continue to stock the cupboard.

On the other hand Kessel can score. He is 21, has tons of hockey left to be played & is starting to scratch the surface of his offensive talent. I don't know what any team that acquires him is going to get for him this coming year. Sounds like he is out until December so he is missing training camp.

If he scores 30-40 for us like Boston nobody is going to care about the picks. If he fails to produce similar numbers then it becomes a big issue. We could be kicking ourselves for not doing it because I don't see any 36 goal scorers out there that are going to be UFA's, nevermind 21 years olds that can do it.

Old
09-09-2009, 07:29 PM
Volcanologist
Spark up a Dubas

We'll rack up 7000 posts worth of Kessel talk on this board... and then he'll get traded to Nashville.

Old
09-09-2009, 07:52 PM
nuck
Axis of Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Dreger Rules View Post
I think this could be a good thread. What would the leafs give up for Phil Kessel (and possibly more) if we traded for him... no offersheets.

1st Proposal:

2nd Proposal:

Zero chance the Bs move both Kessel and Savard. That is just asking to kill their chemistry. They are ready to win now. If they trade for a bunch of prospects they would no be contenders this season. The first proposal is close but still light.

Old
09-09-2009, 07:58 PM
yohan1212

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace Frog View Post
The assets that some of you are posting it would take to trade for Kessel, are extremely steep. Schenn? Are you kidding me? Burke isn't going to trade top prospects for Kessel.

It would make waaay more sense to submit an offer sheet. All we lose by doing that, is our 1st round pick. The other picks could be easily recouped in other deals.
Then why hasnt he done this?? I dont buy into his "dont want to blindsinde" BS... The reason is the $$$$ he wants to throw in the offersheet (4-5) Boston will match very quicky... Any offersheet from TORONTO will have to blow phils socks off IMO for him to even sign (near 6 per). Hope this crap gets sorted out shortly but just dont see it happening anytime soon.

Old
09-09-2009, 08:05 PM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
I'd say if Burke wants Kessel he is going to have to make the offer sheet and deal with the potential of acceptance and loss of picks, reputation (oh, I forgot he briefs Chiarelli every day what he is doing so its not like Lowe) and eventual revenge knowing Jacobs. I'd say his close relationship with Chiarelli after the Draft Day amnesia, anonymous comment on the Morris signing, and this would be tad changed.

Boston should not deal no matter what; if he wants him make the offer, and make it big. I'm sure anything under $4.5 will be matched and the Bruins will move a decent secondary player like Kobasew (and make a spot for Wheeler in the process) and/or Ference.

Over that amount, I'd think the Leafs might get him; but Boston would plug in Wheeler and now have (2) firsts, (3) seconds, with Tampa's as well; (2) thirds, and (2) fourths for 7 picks in the first three rounds, and 9 in the top four rounds. Not bad, and they could maneuver around well and get someone up top with that bounty. The Draft is considered strong per RLR and McKeen's, and with Benning and Bradley the Bruins are confident they will stick a few of those darts near the bulls eye.

It would hurt losing Kessel, but they are deep at his position. The sadistic side of me hope it happens because its entertainment and would be good for the rivalry. Burke is pretty entertaining and I enjoy watching him operate even if sometimes it seems a bit comical. However, Kessel is very talented and I'd love to watch him the next 10 years go for 350 in black and gold.

Old
09-09-2009, 08:14 PM
leafs123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volcanologist View Post
We'll rack up 7000 posts worth of Kessel talk on this board... and then he'll get traded to Nashville.
haha...imagine if the leafs get him...35000 posts trying to break down the deal or the offer sheet

Old
09-09-2009, 08:36 PM
bobbyz04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Dreger Rules View Post

1st Proposal:

2nd Proposal:

To Toronto- Bergeron and Kobasew
To Boston- Stajan and white and a 2nd

Old
09-09-2009, 08:53 PM
Newfie John
Hall of Famer

According to a member who frequents the Bruins board, his sources have told him that Toronto and Boston have completed a deal for Kessel, and that the deal is pending on whether or not Burke can get Kessel signed. When I read his post I didn't believe it, but the members over there seem to believe him and consider him very credible.

Take it for what it's worth, but that's certainly interesting.

Old
09-09-2009, 08:54 PM
TheLeastOfTheBunch

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfie John View Post
According to a member who frequents the Bruins board, his sources have told him that Toronto and Boston have completed a deal for Kessel, and that the deal is pending on whether or not Burke can get Kessel signed. When I read his post I didn't believe it, but the members over there seem to believe him and consider him very credible.

Take it for what it's worth, but that's certainly interesting.
OMG, OMG! I would trade any asset on the Toronto Maple Leafs, besides Luke Schenn obviously, for Phill Kessel! Wow! Praying that this is true!

Old
09-09-2009, 08:59 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by yohan1212 View Post
Then why hasnt he done this?? I dont buy into his "dont want to blindsinde" BS... The reason is the $$$$ he wants to throw in the offersheet (4-5) Boston will match very quicky... Any offersheet from TORONTO will have to blow phils socks off IMO for him to even sign (near 6 per). Hope this crap gets sorted out shortly but just dont see it happening anytime soon.
This.

I think anything within a 3-4 year deal at 4-5M per season, Boston will definitely make serious attempts at matching.

To me this will unravel in one of three ways, should the Leafs do acquire him.

Scenerio #1:

Burke throws down a 3 year deal worth somewhere in the area of 5.5-6M per year, likely out of Boston's range and still keeps him a RFA when the contract expires.

Scenerio #2:

Burke throws a career-spanning contract at Kessel. Doubt this, he's not Mike Richards, or Sidney Crosby, seems slightly delicate. Probably not the kind of guy you want locked up forever (think DiPietro, just in case)

Scenerio #3:

A trade is made, but Toronto pays a relatively steep price. Think 1st, 2nd + one of your better prospects. Burke & Chiarelli can be swapping wifes for all we know, thats how close they could be.. Fact remains, Toronto & Boston are inter-division rivals and Kessel could turn out to be a 40 goal scorer, there is no way Chiarelli let's Burke have him without getting a decent return. It makes much more sense for him to trade him out of division and preferably out of conference.

Old
09-09-2009, 08:59 PM
BlueForever

Why would Leafs have to give up anything pick wise for players like Bergeron and Kobasew???Makes no sense for them to help out the Bruins in unloading salary to sign Kessel and give them draft picks to boot.

One deal I can see happening is the following and let me explain:

Kessel, Ryder, 2nd 2011

for

White, 1st 2010, 3rd 2010

The Leafs get their man in Kessel but not before taking back another hefty contract in Ryder. This helps the Bruins because they gain the much needed cap space to round out their team. White gives them depth on the blueline and they get the picks as well. Toronto regains a 2nd Round pick in 2011 that they gave up in the recent Chicago trade.

But this would not be last deal the Leafs would make. Getting both Kessel and Ryder gives them to many forwards. So I can see a deal materializing with Florida that would see the Leafs package a defenceman and forward for Horton. Something along the lines of:

Stajan, Van Ryan and a 4th Rnd Pick in 2010

for

Horton and a 3rd Round Pick 2010

Lineup

Kulemin-Grabovski-Kessel
Hagman-Horton-Ponikarovski
Hanson-Bozak-Stalberg
Blake-Mitchell-Ryder

Beachumein-Kaberle
Komisarek-Schenn
Exelby-Frogren

Toskala