HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

P.K Taking Weekly French Lessons

Old
09-09-2009, 12:38 PM
Jigger77

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booba View Post
Give him the C now...I SAID NOW!
To be fair Gomez said the same thing as soon as he was traded here. Given his experience and based on this logic he should be given the C.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2009, 12:42 PM
DDs not undersized
Former Partisan duCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
Which one ? Cause from where I am, I don't know a lot of people who can have a decent conversation in english.
In Canada, 43,4% of francophones can speak English. But only 9% of anglophones can speak French. Those numbers are quite dramatic for a country who's supposed to be bilingual.

That said, I lost hope a long time ago that French could be spoken from an ocean to another. I believe someone living in BC, for example, should be learning Mandarin Chinese or Japanese much before French. It just makes more sense. Nobody West of the Outaouais river should be "forced" to learn French. Canada is an English country outside of Quebec and Acadia. Stats shows that other French Canadians in Manitoba and Ontario are being assimilated, and it's a natural process you just can't fight against.

But of course, I'm also an independantist, and I think French should be the unique official language in an independant Quebec.

Canada as a bilingual country? It's nothing more than an ideological illusion.

DDs not undersized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2009, 12:46 PM
Jigger77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partisan du CH View Post
In Canada, 43,4% of francophones can speak English. But only 9% of anglophones can speak French. Those numbers are quite dramatic for a country who's supposed to be bilingual.

That said, I lost hope a long time ago that French could be spoken from an ocean to another. I believe someone living in BC, for example, should be learning Mandarin Chinese or Japanese much before French. It just makes more sense. Nobody West of the Outaouais river should be "forced" to learn French. Canada is an English country outside of Quebec and Acadia. Stats shows that other French Canadians in Manitoba and Ontario are being assimilated, and it's a natural process you just can't fight against.

But of course, I'm also an independantist, and I think French should be the unique official language in an independant Quebec.

Canada as a bilingual country? It's nothing more than an ideological illusion.
Especially if Quebec separates. The only thing that is keeping French alive in the ROC is the strenght of its Quebec roots. You want to see assimilation speed up ten-fold? Separate Quebec from Canada.

Old
09-09-2009, 12:46 PM
Gros Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuriousBob View Post
... All the time I get surprised by those article. Every year a bunch of NHL player does a bunch of things for the society and this is not at all discussed by french media except for the Kovalec and Koivu thingy. But when a english player whants to learn french you can be sure that the article will have a bunch of hits, shows what kind of selfish people we, french quebecers are. Like if a player that learns french would be more honorable or more interesting that a player who gives to the society...
O, the ironing is delicious. The article quoted by the OP is from an English language site, The Gazette's own Inside-Out.

Gros Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2009, 12:51 PM
Thorn

AFAIK the only officially bilingual province in Canada is New Brunswick.

The only reason why there is a higher percentage of Francophones that 'learn' English compared to the opposite is a very simple reason: In the grand scheme of things English is far more useful than French (particularly business-wise). I would go on but that is OT.

Can't wait for the preseason to start!

Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2009, 12:59 PM
maci4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
I forget who wrote it now but I recall reading a text from a prominent Canadian social writer back in University and his argument was that biligualism was the ONLY thing that really differenciated us from our southern neighbours.

And I agree 100% with your point.
not necessarily.

there's more spanish speaking americans than there are french speaking canadians. I'm willing to bet that there are more spanish speaking americans than the total population of canada.

looks like both sides are unique to oneself.

maci4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2009, 01:03 PM
Jigger77

Quote:
Originally Posted by maci4life View Post
not necessarily.

there's more spanish speaking americans than there are french speaking canadians. I'm willing to bet that there are more spanish speaking americans than the total population of canada.

looks like both sides are unique to oneself.
True. Except that the logic is drawn from the fact that Canada is officially bilingual and thus considered a "cultural mosaic", per say. Whereas the US's motto is One Country, One language and is considered a "cultural melting pot".

The Hispanics aren't in government in the US nor are they co-founders of the country.

Old
09-09-2009, 01:04 PM
maci4life

Quote:
True. Except that the logic is drawn from the fact that Canada is officially bilingual and thus considered a "cultural mosaic", per say. Whereas the US's motto is One Country, One language and is considered a "cultural melting pot".

The Hispanics aren't in government in the US nor are they co-founders of the country.
ideally speaking yes, but technically and legally speaking, USA doesn't have an official language.

Old
09-09-2009, 01:10 PM
Mustafa*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rated R Superstar View Post
I want P.K to give me skating lessons and serve me cereal in the morning.
And make me special shakes to fight hangovers, cuz right now my head hurts.

Mustafa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2009, 01:10 PM
Jigger77

Quote:
ideally speaking yes, but technically and legally speaking, USA doesn't have an official language.
Interesting. I didn't know US had no official language. Just learned something..

Canada however, as per the constitution, has two official languages. English and French.

16. (1) English and French are the official languages of Canada and have equality of status and equal rights and privileges as to their use in all institutions of the Parliament and government of Canada.

Old
09-09-2009, 01:11 PM
Kencaid

Quote:
Ya, this is true, and the US has a lot of language problems as a result. I mean, texas is basically at the point where a large majority of youth can't speak english.

Personally, even though I can't speak french, this is a big deal. Even when Grabo said he would put extra effort into learning english, us leafers got really excited. Then again, being able to talk to your coach is kinda needed, lol.

Kencaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2009, 01:28 PM
habsfans333*

You don't need to speak french in Montreal anymore...

Honestly it piss me off. I'm living on the North Shore and when I go visit my sister in Montreal often we go in restaurant or whatever and I would say 75% of times people will speak in english at me... The **** is that really.

Whats the country with the most official language?

I would say Switzerland.... French/Italian/German/Romansh

habsfans333* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2009, 01:36 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfans333 View Post

Honestly it piss me off. I'm living on the North Shore and when I go visit my sister in Montreal often we go in restaurant or whatever and I would say 75% of times people will speak in english at me... The **** is that really.

Go to... I believe it is the score. Everything in there is French, including the menu. It's right downtown too.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2009, 02:00 PM
maci4life

Quote:
Interesting. I didn't know US had no official language. Just learned something..

Canada however, as per the constitution, has two official languages. English and French.

16. (1) English and French are the official languages of Canada and have equality of status and equal rights and privileges as to their use in all institutions of the Parliament and government of Canada.

i'm an advocate of learning as many languages as possible, but i do it for myself, not because someone wants me to( thats why a lot of these "players learning french for the fans and media " articles irk me ). Unfortunately i didn't see this interest early enough to continue french courses past the 9th grade. ah well. i'd love to learn french and german.

both official languages yes, but more idealogical as mentioned before. mostly diplomatic and the extending of the olive branch to keep canada unified.

Old
09-09-2009, 02:02 PM
maci4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kencaid View Post
Ya, this is true, and the US has a lot of language problems as a result. I mean, texas is basically at the point where a large majority of youth can't speak english.

Personally, even though I can't speak french, this is a big deal. Even when Grabo said he would put extra effort into learning english, us leafers got really excited. Then again, being able to talk to your coach is kinda needed, lol.
The states are going to have quite the problem in the years ahead.

Old
09-09-2009, 02:05 PM
maci4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfans333 View Post

india has a lot of languages as well. lemme wiki that one to see.

Old
09-09-2009, 02:06 PM
The Gal Pals
Breaking Hab

vCash: 1549
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booba View Post
Give him the C now...I SAID NOW!
I'd agree with you but I don't think he's having sex with a Russian girl like Pacioretty has...

Last edited by The Gal Pals: 09-09-2009 at 03:53 PM.
The Gal Pals is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2009, 02:06 PM
maci4life

nope, india just has 2 official languages.

Old
09-09-2009, 02:20 PM
Jigger77

Quote:
i'm an advocate of learning as many languages as possible, but i do it for myself, not because someone wants me to( thats why a lot of these "players learning french for the fans and media " articles irk me ). Unfortunately i didn't see this interest early enough to continue french courses past the 9th grade. ah well. i'd love to learn french and german.

both official languages yes, but more idealogical as mentioned before. mostly diplomatic and the extending of the olive branch to keep canada unified.
I'm not sure where you get the ideological idea from. Both are used in Parliement. I took that from the Charter of Rights and Freedom. Not sure how much more official it could get.

If you mean in practice (real life, if you will) accross the Nation then yes, I agree.

Old
09-09-2009, 02:22 PM
Andy

Wow I am so happy, obviously this will make him a better player on the ice, we all know what learning the french language does for your performance!

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2009, 03:18 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
No kidding. Who wants to expand their horizons a little. Pff.

Much more worthwhile to learn Chinese, since they're on pace to be the next super-power in the world.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2009, 03:19 PM
NewHabsEra*

Future NHL all star and captain matter..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2009, 04:28 PM
Galchenyuk94

Quote:

It's great to know english and french.

Knowing english makes you learn german and dutch (or whatever botched german they speak in holland) fairly easily. Knowing french you can learn spanish, italian and portugese fairly easily. I know because I am presently studying the the latter 3. Don't get impressed by people who can speak 6. Once you master the two official languages of Canada, most languages, save the oriental ones, become a breeze!

Galchenyuk94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2009, 04:31 PM
RoyBoyCoy
Habs and Rugby

French Class in Ontario is a joke. Ii'm done with French school wise and I can't even put together a sentence. Good to see that he's making an effort. GIVE HIM THE C!!!! Lol

RoyBoyCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2009, 04:37 PM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

P.K blah blah blah Great Kid blah blah blah "insert political ideology" blah blah blah Hockey Me Love!

Of course, we HAD to get into the language issues.

Jack Bourdain is online now   Reply With Quote