HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

P.K Taking Weekly French Lessons

Old
09-09-2009, 06:32 PM
Tyler93

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Partisan du CH View Post
We were celebrating the "40 years of bilinguism" in Canada this week... Haha... funny fiction!

Bilinguism just goes one way in this country, it's well known.

But congratulations, P.K.!!!
Even here in New Brunswick, the only official bilingual province they basically banned French immersion for young kids.

Good luck to P.K!

Tyler93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2009, 06:53 PM
Mathletic

like I said in the other thread, excellent news

great initiatives by both Subbban and Gomez

Mathletic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2009, 07:32 PM
kent_carlson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Yeah, you're right it's more important for them (Quebecers) to know English than it is for English people to know French.

I guess it's ok to not know English, if you're going to spend your life in Quebec, or France (or parts of Switzerland and other French countries) but anywhere else you'll need English.
I hope you are not serious. Europe, Asia, Africa, South America ... If you are in one of Sandals's resort ok, but do you really think that you can go on the country side with your "universal" english? Your universe is probably not the universe that I know.

kent_carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2009, 07:46 PM
Mathletic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kent_carlson View Post
I hope you are not serious. Europe, Asia, Africa, South America ... If you are in one of Sandals's resort ok, but do you really think that you can go on the country side with your "universal" english? Your universe is probably not the universe that I know.
we all know there's one universal language and it's beer

get a bunch of guys from Ethiopia, Russia and Canada give them 7 to 10 beers and they'll all understand one another

Old
09-09-2009, 07:49 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Pretty sure a while ago i saw some statistics saying that english was the language most countries spoke but when it came down to individual people, mandarin was most spoken.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2009, 07:58 PM
Analyzer*

vCash: 50
Quote:
You're more than likely to find someone who speaks English in another country than French. It's how it works. If there's anything to see in the country side of any place, there's someone who speaks English around, so yes.

Analyzer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2009, 08:13 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
I'm not sure of the exact "requirements" for French classes but they are minimal.
In Ontario you only require 1 French credit to graduate High School.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2009, 08:14 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Pretty sure a while ago i saw some statistics saying that english was the language most countries spoke but when it came down to individual people, mandarin was most spoken.
English is the universal language for world wide business, but it wouldn't be the most common language spoken.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2009, 08:42 PM
kent_carlson

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSU Seminoles View Post
we all know there's one universal language and it's beer

get a bunch of guys from Ethiopia, Russia and Canada give them 7 to 10 beers and they'll all understand one another
I'm surprised that you did'nt say that stats is the universal language!

Old
09-09-2009, 08:50 PM
kent_carlson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
You're more than likely to find someone who speaks English in another country than French. It's how it works. If there's anything to see in the country side of any place, there's someone who speaks English around, so yes.
You know, it is not a battle of french against english, I,m just telling you not to expect that the rest of the world is using english. In Ontario, how many peoples are bilingual? Don't expect that the rest of the world is bilingual with your "universal" language.

I'm leaving for a south american country soon and I'm learning spanish because english there is a no show.

Old
09-09-2009, 08:58 PM
Mathletic

Quote:
I'm surprised that you did'nt say that stats is the universal language!
well no, Maths are even more universal hehe

in the end it depends on your interests. I'm interested in science in general, so for me the 4 great languages are French, English, German and Russian. You can learn a lot from Latin and Greek also. Someone in the business world won't care much for ancient Greek I'd think, and Mandarain would be more appropriate for many business people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergejean View Post
I was in an advanced class in high school and I can assure you that I only learned English when I moved in Toronto for 3 1/2 years. That's where I learned how to speak English, slang English.

I'm assuming that it applies for all languages. Until you have a chance to practice, you'll not going to be very good at it... or you'll sound like a book.
Indeed, I learned German for fun and read the Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung regularly but could barely speak it obviously since I had no occasion to practice up to a couple of years ago when a family moved in St-Augustin from Germany ... what's the probability of a German family moving to St-Augustin 2 houses away from mine ??? ... anyway, I had the chance to speak German regularly with them and it helped greatly, and I'm sure if I'd move to Germany for a summer and it'd help even more and I'd pick up the language quite easily with most nuances required.

Last edited by Mathletic: 09-09-2009 at 09:33 PM.
Old
09-09-2009, 09:19 PM
sergejean

Great thing that PK is learning French. The earlier he does, the better he's likely to become in mastering the language.

Funny debate here. As a kid growing up in Montreal, I can assure you that I had no one to practice my English with (most of English speaking kids would also speak French so it was only natural to speak French.) So I can relate with people complaining that although they studied it, they can't be functional speaking it.

I was in an advanced class in high school and I can assure you that I only learned English when I moved in Toronto for 3 1/2 years. That's where I learned how to speak English, slang English.

I'm assuming that it applies for all languages. Until you have a chance to practice, you'll not going to be very good at it... or you'll sound like a book.

sergejean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2009, 09:26 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Subban will be a riot.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2009, 09:32 PM
Andy

Yes, P.K Subban has finally answered his critics and improved the area of his game which had the biggest question mark...his mastering of the french language, P.K Subban as of today is a better hockey player. In fact with each weekly lesson that passes by, P.K Subban will just get that much better. I think we can safely assume that he is nhl ready now!

Let's not forget that Scott Gomez too has answered his critics, he is now worth every penny of his contract because he is learning the french language.

Habs for the cup.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2009, 09:34 PM
The Nightman
Transition Year

Oh great, another language debate.

The Nightman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2009, 09:34 PM
Mathletic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koseegin View Post
Yes, P.K Subban has finally answered his critics and improved the area of his game which had the biggest question mark...his mastering of the french language, P.K Subban as of today is a better hockey player. In fact with each weekly lesson that passes by, P.K Subban will just get that much better. I think we can safely assume that he is nhl ready now!
because obviously the only thing that matters in the development of a person ... or hockey player in this case ... is how well he skates, the rest of it is useless, since as we all know hockey players train and practice 16 hours a day and shouldn't have time to do anything else in life

Old
09-09-2009, 09:36 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSU Seminoles View Post
because obviously the only thing that matters in the development of a person ... or hockey player in this case ... is how well he skates, the rest of it is useless, since as we all know hockey players train and practice 16 hours a day and shouldn't have the time to do anything else in life
Yup it's true, in fact I believe it's common knowledge. I think it's part of the S.A.Ts

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2009, 09:37 PM
overlords
Hfboards

i can't wait til he misses an easy goal and we see him scream a bit 'ol ********.

oh man french words are censored here too?

hint: tabernacle.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2009, 09:40 PM
The Nightman
Transition Year

Subban is as cool, as the other side of the pillow.

The Nightman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2009, 09:52 PM
Artyukhin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koseegin View Post

Let's not forget that Scott Gomez too has answered his critics, he is now worth every penny of his contract because he is learning the french language.

Habs for the cup.

well that goes along way in Quebec and as a member of the Habs. Even if these guys dont become french speakers the fact they have told the quebec public hey loook at me "im trying" earns them some bigtime points on the fanometer.

Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2009, 10:01 PM
Mathletic

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug mckenzie View Post
well that goes along way in Quebec and as a member of the Habs. Even if these guys dont become french speakers the fact they have told the quebec public hey loook at me "im trying" earns them some bigtime points on the fanometer.
well yeah, Alex Kovalev is a great example of that

there's never been so many people buying tickets, gear and interested in the Canadiens than ever and there's never been so few Allophones learning french when coming to Montreal to play for the Canadiens. People fully embraced Kovy, Saku and so on even though they didn't say a word in french.

Last edited by Mathletic: 09-09-2009 at 10:11 PM.
Old
09-09-2009, 10:17 PM
C4KOMI

lets build him up
than ship him to toronto.

C4KOMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2009, 10:40 PM
wedge

how can some people not like that guy? He's the ultimate fan favorite... can't wait to see him with a habs jersey.

wedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2009, 11:18 PM
habsfans333*

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedge View Post
how can some people not like that guy? He's the ultimate fan favorite... can't wait to see him with a habs jersey.
Habs haters

habsfans333* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 05:46 AM
Prudentius

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Waste of time.
seconded

Prudentius is offline   Reply With Quote