HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mathieu Dandenault sings tryout with sharks

Old
09-11-2009, 03:19 PM
Owen
Roster Guru

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Owen
He's a steadier defenseman than Ehrhoff is and Dandenault is ridiculously fast. He doesn't have the same offensive potential as Ehrhoff, but it's not like Christian really put up that many points anyway. Plus, Dandenault would potentially make at least two million less.

I actually thought he would've been a much better fit last season than Huskins (who didn't even play). Would I prefer Marc-André Bergeron? Absolutely.

But why would anyone consider this bad to sign him to a tryout? If he makes the team, which seems likely, then maybe he's actually better than what you guys with your baseless "he sucks" comments are saying.

One thing was right tho, he's not really a fighter. I dunno why anyone would say that.

Owen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2009, 03:21 PM
Rickety Cricket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen View Post
He's a steadier defenseman than Ehrhoff is and Dandenault is ridiculously fast. He doesn't have the same offensive potential as Ehrhoff, but it's not like Christian really put up that many points anyway. Plus, Dandenault would potentially make at least two million less.

I actually thought he would've been a much better fit last season than Huskins (who didn't even play). Would I prefer Marc-André Bergeron? Absolutely.

But why would anyone consider this bad to sign him to a tryout? If he makes the team, which seems likely, then maybe he's actually better than what you guys with your baseless "he sucks" comments are saying.

One thing was right tho, he's not really a fighter. I dunno why anyone would say that.
No way is he better than Ehrhoff and MAB is a one-dimensional defenseman

Rickety Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2009, 12:12 AM
SharkByte!

Quote:

Vancouver will be Scary Good with Ehrhoff next year. Please don't compare the two. It's still fresh in our minds and we're still bitter.

SharkByte! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2009, 12:31 AM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharkByte! View Post
Vancouver will be Scary Good with Ehrhoff next year. Please don't compare the two. It's still fresh in our minds and we're still bitter.
*sigh*

I'm going to hate hearing Canucks fans talk about how great he is and how sweet a deal they got all year.

*Grumble*

hockeyball is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2009, 01:43 AM
Vaasa

Quote:

The statement above is where you lost all credibility. Ehrhoff was tied for 22nd in points among ALL NHL defensemen last year. He put up the same number of points as Bouwmeester, and unlike Jaybo he wasn't playing on the #1 PP all year and he wasn't the #1 defenseman on his team. Ehrhoff had 42 points last year. That's more than Kubina, Barker, Kuba, Liles, Edler, Jovanovski, and Hamrlik to name just a few. That's 10 more points than Bergeron put up.

In 07-08, his worst year points-wise in the league (not counting his rookie half-season), he was still 69th in points for all league defensemen, and 2nd among the Sharks D. In 06-07 he was 41st in the league, and 2nd on the Sharks D.

To even remotely suggest that Dandenault could hold Ehrhoff's jock is a stretch. To say he's anywhere near as good a defensemen is just ridiculous.

Vaasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2009, 02:56 AM
matt trick

We need a 7th d-man.

I would prefer that 7th d-man not cost 1 mill (Mike Moore) or be unready for the bigs (Demers, possibly Joslin). And I certainly don't want that d-man developing in the press box, when he could be improving in the AHL (all three of the above).

The fact Dandenault can play forward or D (albeit mediocrely) is gravy. Also he put up 4 goals in half a season last year, not bad for a 4th liner.

If they want to bank cap space, you play with 22 (Dandenault covering both spare spots).

If he fills the hole for 500k, I can deal.

FWIW, I would much rather have Davison back for the same purpose.

matt trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2009, 01:52 PM
Joey

Send a message via MSN to Joey
from a MTL fan, Dandenault is a solid player. he doesn't particularly excel in any area of the game but he is a speed demon who can get from Point A to Point B fast enough to make him a surprisingly decent rusher at times and a great forechecking and backchecking forward as well. He publicly prefers D but he's a team player and is capable of stretches of great play

Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2009, 02:24 PM
wishman

With the Heatley trade we are going to be even tighter against the cap, having Dandenault being able to play both will allow to carry only 22 (maybe even 21 when everyone is healthy) players.

wishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2009, 02:37 PM
one2gamble

hes pretty much guaranteed a contract at league min if he wants it just due to versatility

one2gamble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2009, 09:17 PM
BLNY

Send a message via MSN to BLNY Send a message via Yahoo to BLNY
I'll echo what Habs fans, who've actually watched him play over the last 4 years. I'll also add that he's a GREAT team guy. Yes, he prefers playing defense. When he does get moved to the wing, he's actually a good fore checker. He uses his speed to create turnovers and chances quite well.

Dandy would be a nice 6-7 guy on a few teams. He won't hurt you night in night out.

BLNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2009, 02:41 AM
Le Rosbeef

Quote:
Originally Posted by one2gamble View Post
hes pretty much guaranteed a contract at league min if he wants it just due to versatility
I was thinking the same thing. Veteran experience, versatility. If he is willing to sign cheap he could be a very valuable Shark this year given our cap position.

I'm all for it.

Le Rosbeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2009, 03:49 AM
Graveland
HONE YOUR CRAFT

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by wishman View Post
With the Heatley trade we are going to be even tighter against the cap, having Dandenault being able to play both will allow to carry only 22 (maybe even 21 when everyone is healthy) players.
Hardly, the trade was a wash more or less and still have the room made from the canuck trade.

Graveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2009, 03:56 AM
Le Rosbeef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graveland View Post
Hardly, the trade was a wash more or less and still have the room made from the canuck trade.
To be fair, we do now have 1 less roster player

Le Rosbeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2009, 04:00 AM
Graveland
HONE YOUR CRAFT

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharkyMcWoo View Post
To be fair, we do now have 1 less roster player
Eh, this is true but if cheechoo was going to be put in that slot the role is easily filled and for alot less money.

Graveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2009, 11:23 AM
one2gamble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graveland View Post
that money was pretty much spent before the heatley.

one2gamble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2009, 12:10 PM
D Huang

Send a message via AIM to D Huang
If worse comes to worse, we can slot Vesce on the 3rd line have Hinote sign for 500k and Dandenault be both spare forward and spare D for 500k. leaves us with 900k in space

D Huang is offline   Reply With Quote