HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dougie Mac joins forces with Balsille

Old
09-10-2009, 02:44 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oz View Post
BallSilly could team up Jesus, Ghandi and Mother Teresa and the group would still be in trouble character wise.
True, but we are talking about the BOG who's not exactly a group of saints either.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Fire View Post
So, I heard this morning that a decision by the judge could happen today, or tomorrow.

If Balsille wins this does he have to spend this season in Phoenix, or does he whisk them off to Hamilton for this season?
He was trying to make his bid contingent on moving them right away, but has apparently revised this since such that he'd be content with a midseason move. (Not that that'll cause any problems at all for the 29 other teams and their travel arrangements, of course...)

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
True, but we are talking about the BOG who's not exactly a group of saints either.
At least they have the good grace to confine their lying to non-business partners.

Old
09-10-2009, 02:46 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
He was trying to make his bid contingent on moving them right away, but has apparently revised this since such that he'd be content with a midseason move. (Not that that'll cause any problems at all for the 29 other teams and their travel arrangements, of course...)
Well, since they have to change their charter plans any way thanks to Obama...

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 03:25 PM
Jimayo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
I've read he may try a mid season (or soon into the season) move. Imo that would be a disaster and not possible due to the schedule etc. Yet, I'm led to believe the PHX arena lease will be an issue as well. Who knows....
50 mil of the 242 is for buying out the arena lease.

Jimayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 03:25 PM
Aging Goalie

I think this is a case of keep your enemies close. Maclean has been very vocal siding with the league against Balsille. Cheap way to shut him up. At least until he realizes that by hiring him the rest of the league sees that they were right and he truely will have no clue how to run a team.

Aging Goalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 03:31 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimayo View Post
50 mil of the 242 is for buying out the arena lease.
That, but I also recall one report if the team can't move soon enough Balsille may request some sort of an arrangement with the County to play a few games in PHX..

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 05:48 PM
Fred Glover
Chief of Sinners

vCash: 0
Go to the fan 590 web site and listen to the last 40 minutes of Bob McKown interview and comment with/on Doug MacLean.

YOu can find it in the podcast or listen here section: http://www.fan590.com/

Entertaining to say the least, funny stuff, with Bobcat stating that he will never have him on again. McKown called him out and all I can say is WOW

Fred Glover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 06:08 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oz View Post
BallSilly could team up Jesus, Ghandi and Mother Teresa and the group would still be in trouble character wise.
That's because Jesus and Mother Teresa would ask to be excused so they can talk to God, and Balsillie would respond with, "You know you can call me Jim, right?"

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 06:33 PM
CapnCornelius

Much as it would be nice to have exGMDM to kick around again, I for one hope the Coyotes stay put. Hamilton in the league would make it next to impossible for the Jackets to ever be re-alligned into the Eastern Conference.

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 06:40 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
Much as it would be nice to have exGMDM to kick around again, I for one hope the Coyotes stay put. Hamilton in the league would make it next to impossible for the Jackets to ever be re-alligned into the Eastern Conference.
True, and I'm concerned about a deeper thought-the NHL will continue to drift to the North East in popularity and the flag of the "real" NHL.

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 06:49 PM
Jimayo

Quote:
At least they have the good grace to confine their lying to non-business partners.
Ballsillie was lying to the BOG now?

Old
09-10-2009, 06:50 PM
Jimayo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
That, but I also recall one report if the team can't move soon enough Balsille may request some sort of an arrangement with the County to play a few games in PHX..
That too. Half the season or so.

Old
09-10-2009, 07:10 PM
hashmarks

Okay so apparently Bob McCowan had read a bunch of transcripts of Maclean absolutely ripping Ballsille over the past year or so and then had Maclean on his show as a guest. Maclean, true to form, went NUTZ on McCowan and McCowan basically dismissed Doug from the show. McCowan proceeded to mention how Maclean would never be on the show again.

I am trying to locate the podcast on the fan590 website...stand by.

http://www.fan590.com/

If there are any Canadians who have any more info, please share.

Whoops...sorry, looks like someone beat me to it. Sorry Fred Glover.

What a weenie Doug is.

Last edited by hashmarks: 09-10-2009 at 07:27 PM.
hashmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 07:29 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimayo View Post
That too. Half the season or so.
Should it come to pass, I recommend Jackets fans book their flights to PHX to watch what will essentially be a home game for the Jackets in Glendale. I think you'll have a hard time getting anyone in PHX to show up to a game for a team that's about to leave.

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 07:37 PM
Fred Glover
Chief of Sinners

Quote:
Originally Posted by hashmarks View Post
Okay so apparently Bob McCowan had read a bunch of transcripts of Maclean absolutely ripping Ballsille over the past year or so and then had Maclean on his show as a guest. Maclean, true to form, went NUTZ on McCowan and McCowan basically dismissed Doug from the show. McCowan proceeded to mention how Maclean would never be on the show again.

What a weenie Doug is.
It is up now on the site. Highly entertaining

Old
09-10-2009, 07:48 PM
eljefe72

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJ Bob View Post
I really hope this gets done and I really hope Hamilton gets realigned to the Central Division. This would be sooo excellent!
I don't know...we did get swept by the Yotes last year.

eljefe72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 08:32 PM
Fred Glover
Chief of Sinners

Quote:

What a weenie Doug is.
McCown concludes that Doug is a man without principles

Old
09-10-2009, 09:02 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Glover View Post
McCown concludes that Doug is a man without principles
That's the polite way to put it. It's also why his decisions are all over the map.

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 10:04 PM
hashmarks

Quote:
It is up now on the site. Highly entertaining
That little exchange is actually a very good snippet at how Doug treats people. He operates with this underlying 'we are friends, therefore I can take all kinds of snipes at you', but when he gets challenged, his claws come out.

Doug has no idea how to deal with anything that resembles a pressure situation, not even a pointed radio interview. He nearly went off the deep end with the media in Columbus, imagine what it would be like in Canada?

I also how he loves to bring up, every chance he gets, that he went to finals with Florida Holy smokes man, get over yourself! Did ya'll know that Florida had a reunion for that team? The 'we lost in the finals but aw-shucks we got there' reunion.

Ballsillie couldn't have hand picked a worse guy to work with.

hashmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 10:30 PM
Happy Pony

That was a good laugh. Oh Doug.

Happy Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 10:32 PM
bcrt2000

Quote:

What a weenie Doug is.
Actually Doug used to co-host his show and then moved on to host his own show on that same radio station (and still does-- hes just on "vacation" right now) and when he started doing his own show (which is before McCown's) he'd sometimes stay in studio for McCown's show; he'd fight with McCown whenever McCown would skewer Bettman (on any issue).

bcrt2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 10:34 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Quote:
Go to the fan 590 web site and listen to the last 40 minutes of Bob McKown interview and comment with/on Doug MacLean.

YOu can find it in the podcast or listen here section: http://www.fan590.com/

Entertaining to say the least, funny stuff, with Bobcat stating that he will never have him on again. McKown called him out and all I can say is WOW
Finally getting the chance to listen to this, and it is such wonderful glorious entertainment I will probably still be grinning tomorrow.

Think of it this way: he's being hired to serve as a sort of “diplomatic advisor” for Balsillie with the NHL. In that light, note how skillfully he handled this potentially tense exchange, and how that skillset will serve him well in getting any hypothetical Hamilton Coyotes issues with the NHL and the city smoothed out and handled easily.

Heck, while you’re at it, you can also take note of his repeated references to his team-building experience, with specific references to his work here (back when we were the longtime laughingstock of the league) and Florida (where one Cinderella run makes you a hockey expert), in spite of his employer’s goal to relocate an existing, already built team that already has a GM.

Pure and simple entertainment; fun for the whole family. Two thumbs up!

(When did Bob McCown become a hockey expert?)

Last edited by Viqsi: 09-10-2009 at 11:30 PM. Reason: what's his job description again? :)
Old
09-10-2009, 11:11 PM
Happy Pony

Quote:
Finally getting the chance to listen to this, and it is such wonderful glorious entertainment I will probably still be grinning tomorrow.

(When did Bob McCown become a hockey expert?)
Bob McCown is obviously not a hockey expert. He was born in Columbus, Ohio a non-hockey southern market.

What's that you say, there's an NHL team in Columbus, Ohio? Quick, get Basillie on the phone!

Happy Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 11:39 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Mike View Post
Bob McCown is obviously not a hockey expert. He was born in Columbus, Ohio a non-hockey southern market.

What's that you say, there's an NHL team in Columbus, Ohio? Quick, get Basillie on the phone!
Balsillie's already turned us down. Says the market's too good. That's about the only positive thing I think I could ever have heard from him.

I forgot to mention earlier - Ricordati and Torgerson brought this one up on 97.1 while I was driving home. Torg suggested that as soon as the team relocated that fans should call the team up and offer to trade Rusty Klesla for Shane Doan. (I considered calling in and suggesting Zbynek Michalek for Fredrik Modin instead, but decided against since 1) they weren't taking calls at the time, and 2) I can't pronounce the guy's name. )