HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

Dougie Mac joins forces with Balsille

Old
09-11-2009, 05:35 AM
hashmarks

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
Balsillie's already turned us down. Says the market's too good. That's about the only positive thing I think I could ever have heard from him.

I forgot to mention earlier - Ricordati and Torgerson brought this one up on 97.1 while I was driving home. Torg suggested that as soon as the team relocated that fans should call the team up and offer to trade Rusty Klesla for Shane Doan. (I considered calling in and suggesting Zbynek Michalek for Fredrik Modin instead, but decided against since 1) they weren't taking calls at the time, and 2) I can't pronounce the guy's name. )
Another dummy that bought into the Maclean hype and when Rusty didn't turn out to be all that Doug said he did can't see any value in him whatsoever?

Last edited by hashmarks: 09-11-2009 at 06:28 AM.
hashmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2009, 06:29 AM
hashmarks

I just relistened to this thing and how about the part where he says: 'I was down to the final one in Florida and they decided to not make a selection'

The Panthers would rather go with NOBODY than Maclean Good choice.

Old
09-11-2009, 06:40 AM
orthosrgn2

If this doesn't confirm your suspicions about XGMDM then nothing will. He is the most egotistical self serving ass there could ever be. A union with he and Balsillie would truly build the bridge to nowhere!

orthosrgn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2009, 07:59 AM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by hashmarks View Post
Another dummy that bought into the Maclean hype and when Rusty didn't turn out to be all that Doug said he did can't see any value in him whatsoever?
I think it was more a reflection on just how badly Doug overhyped Rusty. It was presented as the sort of deal that he'd consider to be a ripoff in his favor.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2009, 08:25 AM
Ar-too

Send a message via AIM to Ar-too
I love Doug so much.

Ar-too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2009, 02:32 PM
Fred Glover
Chief of Sinners

vCash: 200
I still get a good chuckle from the interview today. Bet that McCown will say something at 4 on his show.

Fred Glover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2009, 02:52 PM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

Quote:
Okay so apparently Bob McCowan had read a bunch of transcripts of Maclean absolutely ripping Ballsille over the past year or so and then had Maclean on his show as a guest. Maclean, true to form, went NUTZ on McCowan and McCowan basically dismissed Doug from the show. McCowan proceeded to mention how Maclean would never be on the show again.

I am trying to locate the podcast on the fan590 website...stand by.

http://www.fan590.com/

If there are any Canadians who have any more info, please share.

Whoops...sorry, looks like someone beat me to it. Sorry Fred Glover.

What a weenie Doug is.
I listened to that interview and I'm a regular FAN 590 listener. While I am no exGMDM supporter, it's important to also understand that McCown and his on air sidekick, Stephen Brunt of the Toronto Globe and Mail are unabashed partisans in the debate. Brunt along with David Shoalts appear to be the Balsillie team's choice for planting leaks. They along with McCown were responsible for the assault on Nashville before Balsillie or his attorney Rodier contacted the Predators to see if they were willing to sell. There is some incontrovertible proof Rodier was behind this. McCown and Brunt have been at the forefront of Balsillie's campaign to move the Coyotes. They don't like MacLean because he openly criticized Balsillie's tactics on air.

McCown was born in Columbus but has become militantly anti-American. I'm not sure why.

TaketheCannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2009, 03:39 PM
Fred Glover
Chief of Sinners

Quote:
Originally Posted by leek View Post
I listened to that interview and I'm a regular FAN 590 listener. While I am no exGMDM supporter, it's important to also understand that McCown and his on air sidekick, Stephen Brunt of the Toronto Globe and Mail are unabashed partisans in the debate. Brunt along with David Shoalts appear to be the Balsillie team's choice for planting leaks. They along with McCown were responsible for the assault on Nashville before Balsillie or his attorney Rodier contacted the Predators to see if they were willing to sell. There is some incontrovertible proof Rodier was behind this. McCown and Brunt have been at the forefront of Balsillie's campaign to move the Coyotes. They don't like MacLean because he openly criticized Balsillie's tactics on air.

McCown was born in Columbus but has become militantly anti-American. I'm not sure why.
I don't know why either as Bobcat lived in Vegas and is a fan of the Browns

Old
09-11-2009, 06:59 PM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

Here it is courtesy of Puck-Rakers.

WOW, just WOW!

Quote:
-- Former Blue Jackets GM Doug MacLean has joined forces with Jim Balsillie, who is attempting to buy the Phoenix Coyotes out of bankruptcy. You already know this if you read this blog. What you may have missed is MacLean going on the radio with Fan 590 host Bob McGown. Lordy. MacLean is off to a roaring start in his first days with Balsillie. Here's a link: http://www.fan590.com/media.jsp?cont...10_194809_4704
http://blog.dispatch.com/cbj/

Dr. Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2009, 07:31 PM
Skraut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Fire View Post
Here it is courtesy of Puck-Rakers.

WOW, just WOW!

http://blog.dispatch.com/cbj/
Stay Classy Doug!

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2009, 08:43 PM
Prophecy

I'm still blown away by the fact that this guy was allowed to run our hockey team for all those years....

Still not sure why Mr. McConnell stuck with him that long....or chose him in the first place for that matter.

I get pissed even thinking about that guy running the CBJ...

To listen to the hotheaded little child in that radio exchange is just unbelievable....

Prophecy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2009, 08:54 PM
gojacketsgo61
Fire the Refs!

vCash: 555
I think balsillie deserves a team and i'm rooting for him. But dougie mac?
Oh well as long as it comes to Canada i'm happy and more money for NHL

gojacketsgo61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2009, 08:58 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
I will always be indebted to MacLean for getting this club off the ground and giving us one hell of great NHL atmosphere in the early years. He was great to the PSL owners as well; I cannot totally trash the guy for being that which he is.

That said, I always thought he was a hot head (ask JF-we discussed this in private many years ago) and he does seem to be on an ego trip. But most of all he really failed in assessing hockey players (not running an organization). I had several letters published in the Dispatch calling for his removal but the letters were based on GM player performance not personality.

Flame away at me, but he is not the vile person some around here are attempting to portray.

Last edited by Robert: 09-11-2009 at 10:46 PM.
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2009, 09:01 PM
hashmarks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post

Flame away at me, but he is not the vial person some around here are attempting to portray.
There is no one attempting to portray anything. Some simply have seen more and know more than others.

He is a vial human.

Old
09-11-2009, 09:02 PM
eljefe72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
I will always be indebted to MacLean for getting this club off the ground and giving us one hell of great NHL atmosphere in the early years. He was great to the PSL owners as well; I cannot totally trash the guy for being that which he is.

That said, I always thought he was a hot head (ask JF-we discussed this in private many years ago) and he does seem to be on an ego trip. But most of all he really failed in assessing hockey players (not running an organization). I had several letters published in the Dispatch calling for his removal but the letters were based on GM player performance not personality.

Flame away at me, but he is not the vial person some around here are attempting to portray.
This coming from someone with a Bobby Knight quote at the bottom of each post.

eljefe72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2009, 09:03 PM
hashmarks

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemhuff View Post

Old
09-11-2009, 09:08 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemhuff View Post
Just calling it the way these 58 years see it.. Let those without sin cast the first stone...

Old
09-11-2009, 09:10 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by gojacketsgo61 View Post
I think balsillie deserves a team and i'm rooting for him. But dougie mac?
Oh well as long as it comes to Canada i'm happy and more money for NHL
I have no problem with Balls Silly getting a team. What I have a problem with is him trying to relocate somebody ELSE'S team to get it. The firewall the NHL has to protect Nashville, Pittsburgh and Phoenix could very well protect US someday.

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2009, 09:21 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
I have no problem with Balls Silly getting a team. What I have a problem with is him trying to relocate somebody ELSE'S team to get it. The firewall the NHL has to protect Nashville, Pittsburgh and Phoenix could very well protect US someday.

Good point Lee, I have mixed feelings about a billionaire swooping down with his cash and moving a team but in all reality PHX may simply be a bad place for NHL hockey. If there is a metro area that wants and deserves an NHL team it's Hamilton. And trust me, I have no sacred place in my heart for the Canadian hockey fans (mostly based on international play) but I do respect them. Hamilton does have the fan base to support an NHL team.

Old
09-11-2009, 09:49 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
I used to have a similar position w/r/t Balsillie... and then I read about some of the stuff he and Rodier have done to try to relocate other people's teams - things like, oh, deliberate attempts to sabotage the Predators' relationship with the city of Nashville so as to "soften them up" and make them easier pickings.

No, really. Check out Craig Leipold's statement to the BOG which was later offered to the bankruptcy court overlooking the Phoenix situation. It's Exhibit C in the following PDF, constituting the last five pages:
http://docs.bmcgroup.com/phoenixcoyo...k-9488_544.pdf
It makes for fascinating - and disturbing - reading.

Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2009, 09:59 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

It doesn't matter what people thing Balsille deserves or can afford; or, for that matter, if Hamilton can or should have a team. Sports ownership is voted on, in every league, by the existing team owners and the NHL guys just don't want him in their club. So what happens if the court awards him the team and the league refuses to schedule them? This whole mess has the potential to go on for years and provide limitless fees for corporate and constitutional lawyers and endless amusement for anyone who doesn't have a dog in the fight.

pete goegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2009, 10:02 PM
Ar-too

Send a message via AIM to Ar-too
Quote:
There is no one attempting to portray anything. Some simply have seen more and know more than others.

He is a vial human.
I think the word we're looking for is "vile", as in wretchedly bad, as opposed to the small container...

In any case, unless you know him personally, I'd suggest rephrasing. Doug has been convicted of no crime and did everything in his power to make the CBJ successful. We have him to thank for some of the existing building blocks of this organization. If someone wants to say that he's comically arrogant, I'd be forced to agree.

But I still love the guy.

Ar-too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2009, 10:30 PM
Fred Glover
Chief of Sinners

Go here: http://www.fadoo.ca/home
Listen to the first hour, half way through for McCown's update on what happened today.

Old
09-11-2009, 10:33 PM
Fred Glover
Chief of Sinners

Interesting comments to read http://www.fadoo.ca/blog/display/maclean-v-mccown-524

Old
09-11-2009, 10:49 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ar-too View Post
I think the word we're looking for is "vile", as in wretchedly bad, as opposed to the small container...

In any case, unless you know him personally, I'd suggest rephrasing. Doug has been convicted of no crime and did everything in his power to make the CBJ successful. We have him to thank for some of the existing building blocks of this organization. If someone wants to say that he's comically arrogant, I'd be forced to agree.

But I still love the guy.
I spent a lifetime in the clinical laboratory dealing with vials...my bad. I mean't vile.