HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dougie Mac joins forces with Balsille

Old
09-12-2009, 02:21 PM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Fire View Post
Do you live in Hamilton?

We too, got to listen to Dougie boy, on his weekly radio show on 1460 here in Columbus. The guy was arrogant at times, and rude to callers, asking many of them: "Have you ever coached an NHL team before?" when they asked a question. His poor relationship with the local media was of his own doing, not the other way around.

Mr. Mac was known for his devotion and patience to his employees, and Doug's far to long tenure was testament to that. It wasn't his performance that kept him here.

I, too, respect the job he did as President of the team, but as the GM/Coach, forget about it.
Really not sure about "many of them." I also know he was very gracious to many of those with whom h interacted on the CBJ radio show, including giving away numerous free tickets to callers (and not just those who stroked his ego like one certain caller whose name and team affiliation I won't mention).

He was a guy who could be both gracious and a jerk. He was a guy who had some successes and failuers. Leave it to an internet message board to ignore one in favor of the other.

Old
09-12-2009, 02:40 PM
Ar-too

Send a message via AIM to Ar-too
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
He was a guy who could be both gracious and a jerk. He was a guy who had some successes and failuers.
Sounds like you.

Ar-too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2009, 02:57 PM
Fred Glover
Chief of Sinners

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ar-too View Post
Sounds like you.
Uh oh.....Duck

Fred Glover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2009, 03:37 PM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

Quote:
Really not sure about "many of them." I also know he was very gracious to many of those with whom h interacted on the CBJ radio show, including giving away numerous free tickets to callers (and not just those who stroked his ego like one certain caller whose name and team affiliation I won't mention).

He was a guy who could be both gracious and a jerk. He was a guy who had some successes and failuers. Leave it to an internet message board to ignore one in favor of the other.
Yea, when the team was winning he was gracious, and when they were losing he was a jerk.

Which means he was a jerk way more than he was gracious.

Dr. Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2009, 06:55 PM
Ar-too

Send a message via AIM to Ar-too
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Fire View Post
Yea, when the team was winning he was gracious, and when they were losing he was a jerk.

Which means he was a jerk way more than he was gracious.
That doesn't even cut the mustard. It's true of the last two seasons he was here, I'll grant you. But it's patently false for the rest of his tenure.

Ar-too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2009, 07:33 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

There's no point is trying to go back and rehash history. We can just about all agree we're glad he's not HERE anymore. GMSH is the man!

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2009, 09:03 PM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ar-too View Post
Sounds like you.
Glad I could help.

Sounds like pretty much everyone.

Double-Shift Lassť is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2009, 10:00 AM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
Glad I could help.

Sounds like pretty much everyone.
To some degree perhaps, just not to the exponential level of explosive bi-polarism of XGMDM.

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2009, 10:18 AM
Prophecy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump Hasek View Post
Further to MacLean working as both GM and president for your former owner, and his employment now as a consultant for the gentleman that owns the fastest growing company on the globe, I failed to also mention that MacLean also works for Rogers, one of the largest media conglomerates around, working as both a radio personality for The Fan and as a television host of a hockey show on Sportsnet, both located in the largest and most rabid hockey market on the planet.

http://www.rogers.com/web/Rogers.por...pe=Residential

If he had such a bad relationship with McCown and The Fan, why did The Fan just give MacLean his own two hour show, beginning this Monday, one that leads directly into McCown's show? You folks that are claiming McCown and MacLean have such a poor relationship have just been played big time. They are friends and it was simply hype for MacLean's new show.

To summarize, an anonymous internet poster claims MacLean to be vile, yet the former owner of your team, the current owner of the fastest growing company in the world, and one of the largest media conglomerates all feel comfortable enough with the man to give him money to work for them.

You guys are entitled to your opinions though. Carry on bashing someone you don't know.
Dear Doug,

You are right. We've been "played big time." Thankfully those days are over.

John

Prophecy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2009, 02:16 PM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump Hasek View Post
Further to MacLean working as both GM and president for your former owner, and his employment now as a consultant for the gentleman that owns the fastest growing company on the globe, I failed to also mention that MacLean also works for Rogers, one of the largest media conglomerates around, working as both a radio personality for The Fan and as a television host of a hockey show on Sportsnet, both located in the largest and most rabid hockey market on the planet.

http://www.rogers.com/web/Rogers.por...pe=Residential

If he had such a bad relationship with McCown and The Fan, why did The Fan just give MacLean his own two hour show, beginning this Monday, one that leads directly into McCown's show? You folks that are claiming McCown and MacLean have such a poor relationship have just been played big time. They are friends and it was simply hype for MacLean's new show.

To summarize, an anonymous internet poster claims MacLean to be vile, yet the former owner of your team, the current owner of the fastest growing company in the world, and one of the largest media conglomerates all feel comfortable enough with the man to give him money to work for them.

You guys are entitled to your opinions though. Carry on bashing someone you don't know.
Between your posts on this board and the finance board, I surmise you live in Ontario somewhere, probably Hamilton and regularly listen to the Fan 590. If so, then you know Mr. MacLean's family was in Columbus until his daughter graduated from High School this past June. The MacLean family lived here for some eleven years and Doug was pretty visible in the community. Many people had personal experinces out of the public spotlight with him.

As far as Mr. McConnell goes, he was a local icon well known by many in the local business community and a huge supporter of his own community, Worthington, an upper middle class suburb of Columbus. I would venture to say many posters had the opportunity to know both men.

Last edited by TaketheCannoli: 09-13-2009 at 02:22 PM.
TaketheCannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2009, 12:21 PM
LetsGOJackets!!

Doug MacLean is his own worst enemy...

this stunt on 590 was repeated so many times, in so many ways. He did a few good things.. getting the Blue Jackets started.. trading for Nash. Almost every other way that he interfered or dominated the organization turned out bad.

His best comment was his statement that he wouldn't trade the cellar dwelling Jackets, for the Cup champion Red Wings. It was about that time I realized his emotional involvement and inability to handle criticism had crossed the line, and rational thinking was in the rear view mirror.

I am willing to bet a small sum that his relationship with Mr. Balisille will go much the same as his relationship with the owners of the Tampa Lightening. They will keep him around for the introductions, but he will not be the setup man for this new venture. Mr Balisille knows considerably more about the sport than Mr Mac. He doesn't strike me as a man as easily conned as Mr. Mac was. Just my opinion.. thanks.

LetsGOJackets!! is offline   Reply With Quote