HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Rejean Tremblay is going at it again !

Old
09-10-2009, 09:58 AM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean Beliveau View Post
11, that is not very impressive. I bet you the Flyers or Bruins probably have as many in this timeframe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan
And you would lose your bet. Before the 2009 draft, the Habs were apparently tied with another team in terms of the highest number of players drafted from Quebec, and they drafted 2 more this summer.
Again, how many would satisfy Tremblay? Should Timmins has some kind of quota?

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 09:58 AM
Le depisteur

Quote:
11, that is not very impressive. I bet you the Flyers or Bruins probably have as many in this timeframe.
Philadelphia: 7
Boston: 4

Poor you...

Le depisteur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 09:59 AM
ROCKZO
Keuh Keuh Yeah !!!

ROCKZO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 09:59 AM
Habsfan18
Global Moderator
The Future

Quote:
Some of it is old and tiresome but the man does have some valid points.

The Gainey/Timmins era has not been a great one for the QMJHL or French hockey players.

How many players form the Q have we actually drafted in the last 6 years and how does it stack up agianst the rest of the league. I bet you were not much higher than the average.
No...no he doesn't....

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 10:00 AM
emb24*

alright, it's always important to read between the lines with ole reggie. he makes a lousy analogy with national teams. the habs are a club team, and thus like any historically great club team, owes it to its fans to have the best players. Man U, Barcelona, NY yankees etc...would all love to have homeboys, but it's not a priority. yes reggie there is a linguistic and historical link with francophone/quebec players and habs' brass owes it to the quebec portion of its fan base to find french players...but alas there a few problem reggie:

1) why fill the team with mediocre fringe quebec players? it sure took a long time for the likes of cube, dandy, tanguay etc to find contract. why have guys on the team because they happen to be from here if they aren't really going to improve the team
2) the habs HAVE tried to bring in francophone players; players that WILL make a difference - briere, vinny, etc... it didn't happen they didn't want to sgin or play here (many of them anyway) PRECISELY because of the kind of attitude scribes like you, reggie, have
3) why should the habs announce publicly, philosophically, whatever that french/quebec players are always the priority? it's obvious. if they do this, they lose whatever (and it's very small) leverage they have when it comes to trades for quebec players or draft positioning. the leafs don't have this 'problem' with ontario players, nor do the flames or oil with prairie boys etc...the issue is, the hysteria drummed up by types like reggie makes gainey's job that much more diffcult because he's cultivated this kind of neuroses in the fan base that other gm's see from a mile away

enjoy:

rejean.tremblay@lapresse.ca

lol

Last edited by emb24*: 09-10-2009 at 10:26 AM.
emb24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 10:11 AM
Bill McNeal

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldthorpe View Post
What else do you want than for the habs to draft more Q players than average? What standard deviation away from the average should Gainey and Timmins target in order to satisfy Tremblay?
Gotta catch 'em all!

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 10:11 AM
havok78

Quote:
Originally Posted by emb24 View Post
I vote that at exactly 12pm we flood his email with a simple one line message,or with nothing written at all with just a link to a FANTASTIC article.

http://www.fanatique.ca/medias/la-re...utes+4712.html

havok78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 10:15 AM
Newhabfan

Two days ago, at Villeneuve's show on CKAC, Rejean Tremblay said that Gainey choose Ontario as place for the final part of the training camp (instead of the regular Tremblant) because he wanted to please the Ontario owners of the team. I'm not kidding. The fact that Jacques Martin already used that place with his teams and that we play the first game in Toronto one day after were of no relevance to him.

Strangely - yesterday he rised against "le Laraque bashing" at CKAC - he seems to be favorable to George.

Newhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 10:15 AM
ROCKZO
Keuh Keuh Yeah !!!

I'll do it !

ROCKZO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 10:18 AM
havok78

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKZO View Post
I'll do it !
I will do it too.

Old
09-10-2009, 10:18 AM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Since 2003, we drafted 55 players. 20% of them were Quebec born players. 20% of those 55 players were from the Q. Considering there is so many league around the world, I'd say these are pretty good numbers.

And help me guys...we'll add the young free agents...

We signed to NHL or AHL contract : Trotter, Desharnaies, Desjardins, Beauregard, Massé, Mayer, Nielson, St-Denis, Johansson, Enqvist (missing someone?)

So out of 65 players, 25% are Quebecois, and 31% played in the Q.

IMO, these are good numbers.

Last edited by Freaky Habs Fan: 09-10-2009 at 10:54 AM. Reason: added Desjardins and others
Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 10:21 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
Snippin' Yank

vCash: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan View Post

We signed to NHL or AHL contract : Trotter, Desharnaies, Beauregard, Massé, Mayer, Nielson, St-Denis (missing someone?)
Take out Trotter and add Desjardins.

Marc the Habs Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 10:23 AM
Lucius

So, among his theories is that the Molson family won't tolerate this?

...I may be totally wrong, but isn't the Molson family also English?

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
havok78

Quote:
Since 2003, we drafted 55 players. 20% of them were Quebec born players. 20% of those 55 players were from the Q. Considering there is so many league around the world, I'd say these are pretty good numbers.

We signed to NHL or AHL contract : Trotter, Desharnaies, Beauregard, Massé, Mayer, Nielson, St-Denis (missing someone?)

So out of 62 players, 24% are Quebec born players, and 27% played in the Q.

Love the avatar, have that t shirt on right now LOL.

As for Tremblay, we are all intelligent enough to know its not even woth the debate, but I really want to bug the guy in protest !

Old
PATCHESx67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogurt View Post
Gotta catch 'em all!

LOLLL someone needs to send that pic to tremblay

we just need to turn ash into bob gainey and that girl into J.Martin and that's the best avatar

PATCHESx67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 10:24 AM
emb24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by havok78 View Post
I vote that at exactly 12pm we flood his email with a simple one line message,or with nothing written at all with just a link to a FANTASTIC article.

http://www.fanatique.ca/medias/la-re...utes+4712.html
CLASSIC:

J'aime mieux un Directeur-Général impoli et sans tact qui parle à des joueurs qu'il tente de signer au lieu d'être gentil avec quelques Québécois qui ne peuvent pas se trouver du travail ailleurs. Faire miroiter le fait que ce même Gauthier serait prêt à jouer à Montréal pour 850 000$ alors qu'aucune équipe de la LNH ne lui a même offert un contrat de la ligue Américaine, c'est prendre les lecteurs pour des imbéciles. Je crois que Rejean Tremblay plus particulièrement est très amers du fait qu'il n'a plus droit aux traitements des vedettes comme dans le temps. Ne plus voyager dans le même avion confortable du CH et ne plus couvrir la F1 avec ses buffets et son champagne haut de gamme. Triste!

emb24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 10:38 AM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:

So out of 62 players, 24% are Quebec born players, and 27% played in the Q.

Now, my second part :

Player we drafted in the first 3 rounds VS. Quebecois we could have drafted :

Kostitsyn > Bernier and Pouliot
Urquarth < Bergeron
Lapierre > Jacques
O'Byrne = Picard, but > Boutin

result : mistake in the second round, but glad we did not chose Quebecois with the other picks.

No Quebecois in the first 3 rounds except Picard (7th overall)

result : imagine what would have happened if we took Quebecois!

Price > Bourret
Latendresse > Roussin, Pelletier, Cliche
no third round pick

result : we've made the right choices

Fischer > no Quebecois in the 1st, next is Bouchard in the second (and Giroux is from Ontario)
Maxwell : next Quebecois was Carle
Carle > Danis-Pepin
White : no Quebecois in the 3rd

result : we've made the right picks

Still too soon for 2007, 2008 and 2009...

So in the end, it's clear that in the first 3 rounds (probably the most important ones), we've made the right decisions with our pick VS. the Quebec born players that were selected in the same area of the draft.

The bottom line is if Tremblay wants to bash Gainey and Timmins, it shouldn't be for the lack of Quebec born players we've made, but for the mistakes they did by not picking Getzlaf, Zajac, and other players who became better than our selections. Then again, insight are 20/20.

Old
09-10-2009, 10:41 AM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Take out Trotter and add Desjardins.
I counted everyone...even if they are not Quebecois. Trotter was not counted in the % of Quebecois. And Desjardins is technicaly from New-Brunswick...but he lived almost all his life in Quebec.

Old
09-10-2009, 10:49 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
Snippin' Yank

vCash: 597
Quote:
I counted everyone...even if they are not Quebecois. Trotter was not counted in the % of Quebecois. And Desjardins is technicaly from New-Brunswick...but he lived almost all his life in Quebec.
Well if you are counting purely FA signings, add Johansson to the list.

And if we aren't counting Cedrik as part of the Quebec group, it seems a little drastic.

Marc the Habs Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 10:50 AM
THE HOFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeConstantin74 View Post
Go back to Lance et Compte Réjean...
'' 5 milions de francophones ne parlent pas anglais '' .... where did he get that from ... thats basically just like saying ... no french born quebecers can speak english ...

I guess I'm in a very select minority now ... considering there are more than 800 000 (on top of my head) people living here speaking other languages ... it leaves me in the highly intelect 200 000 quebecers who can barely understand english I guess ... I'm so proud of myself right now ...

THE HOFF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 10:50 AM
25th

Whit the 3rd question of this morning PC, Réhan pops the oh so important question to Goeffrey Molson. Mr. Molson politely shuts him up in a flawless french, saying that he fully trust Gainey's decisions and he also states the fact that there are more players from different countries now, so less franco in the league. Welcome to 2009 Réhan!

Goeff 1
Réhan 0

Merci beaucoup!

Last edited by 25th: 09-10-2009 at 10:51 AM. Reason: typo
25th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 10:52 AM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Well if you are counting purely FA signings, add Johansson to the list.

And if we aren't counting Cedrik as part of the Quebec group, it seems a little drastic.
And Enqvist...thanks

Old
09-10-2009, 10:54 AM
All-Star

As long as people keep disscussing his articles, and providing links, he will remain employed...

All-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 11:00 AM
Gros Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-Star View Post
As long as people keep disscussing his articles, and providing links, he will remain employed...
Voilà! I agree totally.

I don't know how to translate this, but it seems to fit:
Dans un régime totalitaire, on te dit "Tais-toi, tu n'as pas le droit de dire ça!"
Dans une régime démocratique, on dit "Cause toujours"

Gros Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 11:00 AM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Quote:
So in the end, it's clear that in the first 3 rounds (probably the most important ones), we've made the right decisions with our pick VS. the Quebec born players that were selected in the same area of the draft.
Just to drive your point even further:

Number of quebec-born players in the NHL as of the end of the 2008-2009 seasons: 64 http://www.hockey-reference.com/friv...ce=QC&state=MA

Number of players in the NHL: lets say 30 teams x 22 starters = 660 players.

So we're talking about approximatively 10% of the league. But we still draft double that proportion. So we're doing more than our fair share to give Q players their chance to shine. But it's still not enough?

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote