HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Kessel File-Volume 2 - Phil Wants Out of Beantown

Closed Thread

Old
09-08-2009, 09:18 PM
Dark Knight
#TheStroShow

vCash: 500
The Kessel File-Volume 2 - Phil Wants Out of Beantown

Trading for Kessel, while keeping Kaberle as well will make me a very happy man !!

[mod edit- start of new thread-NJ]

Last edited by Newfie John: 09-10-2009 at 03:03 PM.
Old
09-08-2009, 09:53 PM
oscarknows

what do you think

kadri for kessel

Old
09-08-2009, 09:56 PM
TimeZone
Swedish Sensation

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscarknows View Post
kadri for kessel

Old
09-08-2009, 10:03 PM
Stats01

I think Burke told Chiarelli that look we won't put an offer sheet on Kessel, but we'll give you the compensation you would get from one in a trade. And with that Chiarelli came back and told Burke if we don't get a better offer than that then we'll take it. Just my two cents.

Old
09-08-2009, 10:05 PM
Stats01

Also I think that if Burke can't get a deal for Kessel then Dubinsky comes into play. Burke will add a forward before the season starts in my opinion. One of Kessel or Dubinsky. I have a feeling Kessel will be a Leaf by the end of September.

Old
09-08-2009, 10:10 PM
TimeZone
Swedish Sensation

[QUOTE=Stats01;21022151]Also I think that if Burke can't get a deal for Kessel then Dubinsky comes into play. Burke will add a forward before the season starts in my opinion. One of Kessel or Dubinsky. I have a feeling Kessel will be a Leaf by the end of September.[/QUOTE]

I have a feeling you will be wrong.

Old
09-08-2009, 10:20 PM
RayzorIsDull

Is anybody concerned that if Toronto presents an offer sheet to Kessel and Boston lets him go to Toronto that Boston could be getting a top 10 pick? The only reason I mention that is because Kessel might be out until December. I really like Kessel but this would be a huge risk.

Old
09-08-2009, 10:30 PM
TimeZone
Swedish Sensation

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
Is anybody concerned that if Toronto presents an offer sheet to Kessel and Boston lets him go to Toronto that Boston could be getting a top 10 pick? The only reason I mention that is because Kessel might be out until December. I really like Kessel but this would be a huge risk.
Well Worth the risk imo. I'd be surprised if we finnished with a top10 pick anyway.

Old
09-08-2009, 10:30 PM
LTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by All_blueandwhite View Post
@ LTL

Why would Burke offer something more in a trade than what the offersheet compensation is?

Tlusty + 2010 1st + Prospect > 1st, 2nd, 3rd since in the first deal your essentially giving up 2 1sts and more depending on the prospect.

Plus if he turns around and uses that package to aquire Kessel, that makes the trade for our 2010 2nd round pick seem like a waste.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuck View Post
An offer sheet means he has to outspend the Bs. A trade means he has to simply come to the minimum number that will make Kessel happy without worrying about breaking the Bruin's bank. Those numbers could be a million a year apart. Plus draft picks are never surplus wheras the club has a few players that definitely don't fit in their long term plans.
This.

Burke can also maintain a balanced cap system moving forward. An unnecessary mil here, few mil there, etc, all adds up when its crunch time in a few years. Also If Chirelli isn't satisfied with a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd he'll match regardless and Burke ends up losing out.

Quote:
Kessel is worth a heck of a lot more then POSSIBLE 8th, 9th, 10th or lower selection.

Last edited by LTL: 09-08-2009 at 10:35 PM.
Old
09-08-2009, 10:32 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
The Leafs don't have Kessel now, so they won't be hurting any with him out until December.

Kessel is a proven top 5 pick.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
Old
09-08-2009, 10:40 PM
Theron
#beauty

Send a message via ICQ to Theron Send a message via AIM to Theron Send a message via MSN to Theron Send a message via Yahoo to Theron Send a message via Skype™ to Theron
Quote:
c'mon the odds of that top ten pick becoming a player like kessel are unlikely unless it's a top 5 .. even then .

Old
09-08-2009, 10:43 PM
TimeZone
Swedish Sensation

Getting Phil Kessel is something that would make me very happy....which means it is VERY unlikely to happen.

Old
09-08-2009, 10:45 PM
embracedbias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salsabil View Post
Trading for Kessel, while keeping Kaberle as well will make me a very happy man !!
If I was Chia, I would have definitely traded for Kaberle when I had the chance.... I guess the price was high, but could you imagine a Chara - Kaberle combo? Could of been the best pairing in the NHL.

Anyways, as I said before, if a deal can get done where Tlusty sticks around, I would be elated. I just have a bad feeling that if he's traded he'll have a monster year in Boston (perhaps even better than Kessel, with his injury and all). When I look at that list that Zeke created with the past players who scored at a PPG pace while 21 or younger, it doesn't endear to me the idea of seeing him in another jersey.

Old
09-08-2009, 11:19 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by PavelBure96109 View Post
Getting Phil Kessel is something that would make me very happy....which means it is VERY unlikely to happen.
You just summed up how i should be feeling. Way too much optimism from me on this one, which is bound to lead to disappointment.

As fate will have it, Kessel will become a leaf, but he will get traded for someone I'd like to see remain a Leaf, like Tlusty, and/or Kadri or Schenn, or it will turn into 2 1st round picks. Something to piss me off.

Old
09-08-2009, 11:22 PM
robdicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynrehab View Post
You just summed up how i should be feeling. Way too much optimism from me on this one, which is bound to lead to disappointment.

As fate will have it, Kessel will become a leaf, but he will get traded for someone I'd like to see remain a Leaf, like Tlusty, and/or Kadri or Schenn, or it will turn into 2 1st round picks. Something to piss me off.
kessel has a better chance of being traded for jesus

anywho.. my expectations are that he comes and is exactly what i expect from him... a streaky player, who has loads of talent, but now has lots of money, and not so many linemates

Old
09-08-2009, 11:37 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by robdicks View Post
kessel has a better chance of being traded for jesus

anywho.. my expectations are that he comes and is exactly what i expect from him... a streaky player, who has loads of talent, but now has lots of money, and not so many linemates
The whole point of my post was that I was going to be disappointed because I always am when it comes to the Leafs, but thanks for treating it like some juvenile trade thread.

Old
09-09-2009, 12:07 AM
embracedbias

Quote:
Originally Posted by robdicks View Post
why do ppl underrrate dennis wideman so much u guys realize he scored 13 goals last year and 50 pts? fyi also a plus 32. i mean kaberle is good, but wideman is just as good if not better..plus wideman is 26 and kabs is 31
Wideman wasn't paired with Chara, and isn't nearly as adept on the PP.... especially not as a set-up man.

Plus, he's going to have to perform at a high level for longer than 1 season before he's at Kaberle's level.

Old
09-09-2009, 07:02 AM

I hope something happens with Kessel soon. I would be extremely excited to get him on the Leafs. I think Kessel would want to play here as well with both the Head Coach and GM of Team USA running the Leafs...

Old
09-09-2009, 07:25 AM
paulster2626
Don't Mess with me

vCash: 400
Why would the Bruins be in any hurry to get this resolved quickly with Kessel on the DL until mid-November?

Old
09-09-2009, 07:54 AM
Newfie John
Hall of Famer

Howard Berger mentioned the possibility of the Leafs also acquiring Michael Ryder in a Phil Kessel trade.

There's not a lot of term left on that contract, and Ryder has the ability to pop in 20-30 goals. If he doesn't perform, stick him in the minors. Taking Ryder off of Boston's hands would significantly lessen what Toronto would have to give up to get Kessel, as they'd be taking a headache off their hands with Ryder.

Jeff Finger would have to be sent to the Marlies to make enough room under the cap.

Bit of an iffy situation, not sure on the idea myself, what do you guys think?

Old
09-09-2009, 08:07 AM
mydnyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salsabil View Post

[mod edit- start of new thread-NJ]
trading for Kessel without giving up Kaberle would make me even more happy, if we then traded Kaberle for something else!! (Horton)

Old
09-09-2009, 08:09 AM
Budsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfie John View Post
Howard Berger mentioned the possibility of the Leafs also acquiring Michael Ryder in a Phil Kessel trade.

There's not a lot of term left on that contract, and Ryder has the ability to pop in 20-30 goals. If he doesn't perform, stick him in the minors. Taking Ryder off of Boston's hands would significantly lessen what Toronto would have to give up to get Kessel, as they'd be taking a headache off their hands with Ryder.

Jeff Finger would have to be sent to the Marlies to make enough room under the cap.

It really depends on what we are sending the other way, there is still talk of Kaberle waiving his NTC and being part of the deal but I would like him to stay here and do a package of other players.

The big problem is can we fit both Ryder and Kessel under the cap unless we off load a player, maybe Van Ryn who's salary is a cap hit of 2.9 mill could be part of a deal.

Old
09-09-2009, 08:21 AM
darty

Quote:

I'm pretty sure that Boston likes having Ryder in the lineup and would not be considered a salary dump. We'd surely be giving up a very large package in any deal that involves both players.

Old
09-09-2009, 08:21 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budsfan View Post
It really depends on what we are sending the other way, there is still talk of Kaberle waiving his NTC and being part of the deal but I would like him to stay here and do a package of other players.

The big problem is can we fit both Ryder and Kessel under the cap unless we off load a player, maybe Van Ryn who's salary is a cap hit of 2.9 mill could be part of a deal.
Team can be 10% over until the season starts. So can Boston.

Boston could match and waive someone else.

Not a slam dunk, just a little push, getting the pick back.

Old
09-09-2009, 08:27 AM
dubey
~manlets~

Quote:

hahahahaha

Boston is just going to throw in their top scorer from the playoffs in a deal with Phil Kessel. I'm pretty sure they are going to try and compete again this year.

Closed Thread