HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Markov not sure he wants to be next C

Old
09-10-2009, 02:16 PM
vokiel
I hate blind passes

vCash: 500
Markov isn't a leader. He's the first to admit he would have a lot of difficulties with the new responsibilities the nomination brings. A good captain isn't necessarily the most valuable player of a team.

I'm still seeing Gomez or Gill as captain and sometime in the future, if he's still with the Habs, Max Lapierre.

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 02:28 PM
Quarantesix
#Galchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by vokiel View Post
Markov isn't a leader. He's the first to admit he would have a lot of difficulties with the new responsibilities the nomination brings. A good captain isn't necessarily the most valuable player of a team.

I'm still seeing Gomez or Gill as captain and sometime in the future, if he's still with the Habs, Max Lapierre.
alot of players says Markov is a good leader. But I think he just don't want to talk with the media everyday

Quarantesix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 02:38 PM
not quite yoda

I do not know who will be captain.

What I do know is that when Jean Beliveau was voted captain by the players he was surprised and hesitant to take the job. He thought other veterans may be more apt.

Today Beliveau is called -captain of captains-.

Not saying Markov could do as well. I just saying sometimes even the player doesn't know until he tries it.

not quite yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 02:53 PM
vaya

i don't know what he's like in the locker room, but markov could be a great "silent" leader, who leads by example. the kind of guy who's well-respected and doesn't need to say something to get his point across. however, realistically, i don't see him as a captain figure and i think he he's hesitant because he doesn't fit the typical captain mould. i'm not totally comfortable giving the c to a newcomer unless he proves his worth, which is why i'd go with 3 a's till the olympic break.

vaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 02:56 PM
BigFatPapa

I never understood how the letter made you a captain. With all the new guys, just start the season and let the captain emerge. Then, give him the letter for the "talking to the ref" stuff, either straight away or by voting. Either way, the players and the coaches will know who the captain is way before the C is handed.

As for Markov, everyone knows he's the best player of this team and I have the feeling that when he does talk, people cut it off and listen. With Saku gone, let's see if he emerges as a captain-worthy leader and if not, no big deal, someone else will.

BigFatPapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 02:56 PM
Patty Roy

With this being such a transition year, and no real obvious candidate, i say we are best off rotating the C like Buffalo and Minnesota (and im sure many other teams) have done in the past.

My suggestion....4 rotating captains, roughly 20 games each.

Andrei Markov
Mike Cammalleri
Maxim Lapierre
Scott Gomez

Start with Markov...a Montreal veteran and obviously our best player...then move onto the top candidates to take it on full time next year.

Patty Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 03:03 PM
Belso

He's not the type of player that makes a good captain.. He'll always lead my example and be a leader to his team, but a Captain has to deal the the ref's (argue) and Markov has never been that type of person...

So I don't blame him and don't expect him to ever have the C anywhere...

Belso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 03:07 PM
Jigger77

I saw play 20 games or so and let the players vote in a captain. It should be the players' decision.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 03:58 PM
bib
#believe

I think Cammalleri is the likely candidate. I wasn't aware until a few days ago just how well he's respected and regarded among his peers:

"With Saskin removed, the search was on for a new executive director. The NHLPA’s Executive Board assigned a selection committee – comprised of Mike Cammalleri, Chris Chelios, Shawn Horcoff, Eric Lindros, and Robyn Regher – to seek out the new leadership."

bib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 04:55 PM
NewHabsEra*

Markov is definitely not captain material, but I like how he answered the question..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 07:24 PM
tinyzombies

I'm sure Markov would be a fine choice. There are many different styles of leadership, not just one.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 07:28 PM
MTL-rules

If getting the C means a decline in production because of the pressure, I say get this thing as far away from him as possible.

MTL-rules is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 07:39 PM
The Nightman

I don't see Markov as being our captain, seems to me he doesn't like the pressure of doing interviews and being the center of attraction.

The Nightman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 07:55 PM
Artyukhin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seb View Post
I didn't find the thread about who's going to be our next C, if any mod wants to merge this one, feel free.

http://www.radio-canada.ca/sports/ho...bs-jeudi.shtml

At the end of the article :

"Markov hésitant

Le titre de capitaine laissé vaquant depuis le départ de Saku Koivu, plusieurs noms circulent quant à l'identité de son successeur.

Celui d'Andrei Markov devra vraisemblablement être rayé de la liste. Le défenseur russe, malgré son talent et son statut de vétéran, ne sent pas à la hauteur de la situation.

« Je n'ai pas de réponses, a déclaré le principal intéressé. C'est beaucoup de responsabilités et je ne suis pas sûr de pouvoir les assumer. Les médias ne sont pas le problème, mais c'est un grand rôle et j'aimerais être capable de bien le faire. »"

Sorry for not translating, I'm at work.
to much Media spot light . Imagine having to do interviews on RDS and Newspaper outlets. Markov in all his time as a hab never put himself in the light and why would he want to now????

ive seen a hand full of markov interviews in his time as a hab there hassnt been many that for sure, and at best i can say he's best to keep doing what he is doing and forget the "C"

Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote