HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Most Important Player (non-goalie) in Each Series

Closed Thread

Old
04-04-2004, 08:50 PM
John Flyers Fan

vCash: 500
Most Important Player (non-goalie) in Each Series

Obviously the goalies are the most important players in each series.

Name the most important player in each playoff series (not one per team) and give your reasons why ?

Old
04-04-2004, 08:59 PM
Raging Bull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy
TO-OTT
Niewendyk - this guy is a playoff performer!

TB-NYI
Yashin - this will decide if the Isles will beat the Bolts.

BOS-MTL
Thornton - his absense or presence will be the decision.

PHI-NJ
Burke/Esche - can they step up like big boys when mot important.

VAN-CGY
Iginla
I think he said non-goalie.......

Old
04-04-2004, 09:02 PM
Liquidrage*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogilny8989
I think he said non-goalie.......

Are you implying Esche is a goalie?

Have you seen him play lately?

Old
04-04-2004, 09:04 PM
Raging Bull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidrage

lol My bad, I don't catch many Flyers games......

Old
04-04-2004, 09:14 PM
John Flyers Fan

Tampa - Isles - Alexei Yashin. The Isles need him to contribute offensively i can't see the Isles winning without him performing like the 1st line center he is supposed to be.

Boston - Montreal - Sergei Gonchar. With Thornton questionable, the Bruins need Gonchar to get their power play working.

Philadelphia - New Jersey - Patrick Elias. The Devils don't have the balance the Flyers have on offense. They rely on Elias to be the stud and score clutch goals for them.

Toronto - Ottawa - Marian Hossa. Just one point in 6 games against the Leafs in the regular season. Sens need Hossa to be a big time player for them to knock off the Leafs.

Detroit - Nashville - Marek Zidlicky. For the Preds to win the series, they are going to have to have their power play working in a big way and Zidlicky is a huge part of the Preds PP.

San Jose - St. Louis - Doug Weight. The Blues need goals from Weight to help ease the pressure on Tkachuk and Demitra.

Vancouver - Calgary - Shean Donovan. The Flames need scoring from someone other than the Iglinla line. Donovan had 3 goals in the regular season against the Canucks.

Colorado - Dallas - Mike Modano. Ne needs to remember the game he used to play. He'll be matched up against either Forsberg or Sakic all series long. Dallas needs Modano to at least be equal to the center he's matched up across.

Old
04-04-2004, 09:26 PM
Bill McNeal

vCash: 50
Tampa - Isles - Alexei Yashin. Needs to be an offensive leader for the Isles.

Boston - Montreal - Joe Thornton. Him being unhealthy heading in helps the Habs a lot.

Philadelphia - New Jersey - Scotte Stevens. Is he gonna play? What's the word? Having him added to the lineup would make me favor Jersey. Otherwise, I favor Philly.

Toronto - Ottawa - Sundin. Can't stand the guy, but he's clutch.

Detroit - Nashville - Steve Sullivan. Guy's awesome and means so much to Nashville, even if he wasn't scoring.

San Jose - St. Louis - Pronger. If he plays at 100%, he dominates like no other D-Man in the league can.

Vancouver - Calgary - Hmmm I'll go with Jovanovski. Dunno why

Colorado - Dallas - Peter Forsberg. Avs are a different team with him in the lineup.

Old
04-04-2004, 09:28 PM
NJ_Devil_Boy

TB vs NYI - Andreychuk and Peca

BOS vs MON - Green and Ryder

PHI vs NJ - Gagne and Friesen

TOR vs OTT - Klee and Bonk

DET vs NAS - Draper and Legwand

SJ vs STL - McCauley and Jackman

VAN vs CAL - D. Sedin and Donovan

COL vs DAL - Konowalchuk and Zubov

Old
04-04-2004, 10:03 PM
two out of three*

Send a message via ICQ to two out of three* Send a message via AIM to two out of three*
TB vs NYI - M. St. Louis, A. Yashin (You know Peca will do his job)

BOS vs MON - S. Gonchar, S. Souray

PHI vs NJ - J. Roenick, P. Elias

TOR vs OTT - R. Francis, Z. Chara

DET vs NAS - D. Hatcher, D. Hamhuis

SJ vs STL - J. Cheechoo, D. Weight

VAN vs CAL - M. Naslund (Can he step it up w/out Bert?), D. Gauthier

COL vs DAL - P. Forsberg, M. Turco

Old
04-04-2004, 10:11 PM
Coburnfan05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidrage

Well he played well today and if it wasn't for him we would be lucky to be a 7th or an 8th seed...see Hacket and the vertigo.

Old
04-04-2004, 10:19 PM
Sting

Send a message via MSN to Sting
TB vs NYI - M. St. Louis, A. Aucoin

BOS vs MON - J. Thornton, S. Souray

PHI vs NJ - M.Recchi, S.Gomez

TOR vs OTT - A.Mogilny, M.Hossa

DET vs NAS - P.Datsyuk, Scott Walker

SJ vs STL - J. Cheechoo, D. Weight

VAN vs CAL - M. Naslund , J. Iginla

COL vs DAL - P. Forsberg, B.Morrow

I think for the most part, every team's best player needs to be their best player. Since I'll be following the OTT-TOR series, it's crucial that a guy like Hossa steps it up. You know McCabe/Leetch will be on his line all night, but he needs to get going. If he does, this creates trouble for the Leafs as Alfredsson and Havlat are on two other lines.

Old
04-04-2004, 10:25 PM
Coburnfan05

Tampa - Long Island - M.Peca has to perform as he has before in the playoffs with Buffalo especially going up against TB's #1 line.

Boston - Montreal - G.Murray will have to show consisteny with the health concerns of J.Thorton

Philadelphia - New Jersey - Scott Stevens. Will he come back healthy enough to provide a calming influence to a relatively young defense.

Toronto - Ottawa - D.Alfreddson has just signed a new contract and no distractions. If Ottawa is going to exercise thier demons with TO, he must bring his A game.

Detroit - Nashville - J.Tootoo(SP?) will have to be asuper pest putting people off thier games and getting into thier heads and drawing penalties.

San Jose - St. Louis - C.Pronger. will have to lead by example if this patchwork defense makes out of the first round.

Vancouver - Calgary - Anyone in Calgary not named Iginla. will have to score some goals if they want to get out of the first round.

Colorado - Dallas - R.Blake will have to be the excellent 2 way player that he is with an unexpirienced goalie and key forwards out of the line up.

Old
04-05-2004, 01:15 AM
polarslam

T.B/N.Y.I - Mike Pecca needs to step up like he did with Sabres in 99 if the Isles have any hope of knocking out the Bolts.

Boston/Montreal- Sheldon Souray needs to be playing like he did earlier in the year when he was the among the top D-Men in the league. His physical pressence and point shot on the powerplay are going to be keys to the Habs abilty to beat the Bruins yet again.

N.J/Philly- Scott Stevens needs to be the Scott Stevens of the past Devils cup runs, if he is anything less than the Devils will be in tough.

Toronto/Ottawa- Zdneo Charra needs to play as big as he is.

Deteroit/Nashville- Stevie Sullivan needs to be great for the Preds to have even a slim chance

S.J/St. Louis- Alyn Macully steping up like he did in 2002 will equal San Jose having a long playoff drive into summer.

Vancouver/Calgary- Todd BertuziHe is the most important player in this series. His absesnce gives the Flames hope to pull the upset and his absescene is key to Vancouver because they will have to carry the load without him if they want to win.

Colorado/Dallas- Forsberg. When's he on his game, he's the best in the game and makes the Av's a threat. When he's off his game the whole Av's team is in trouble.

Old
04-05-2004, 01:23 AM
OMA

TB/NYI: Mike Peca: He's going to have to be huge in this series. The Isles need him to help neutralize that deadly TB attack.

BOS/MTL: Glen Murray: They need scoring from him if Thornton is hurt. They need him to score even if Thornton's around.

PHI/NJ: Patrick Elias: He needs to score goals. Period.

TO/OTT: Daniel Alfredsson. He's supposed to be their leader. He needs to step up and excercise his own demons and lead his club over the Leafs.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DET/NSH: David Legwand/Steve Sullivan: These two need to be outstanding.

SJ/STL: Chris Pronger: He needs to show off his Norris-esque skills for STL to knock off SJ

VAN/CAL: Any Flame not named Iginla: Calgary has the defence system to knock off the Canucks. But they need secondary scoring from somewhere. Will they get it?

COL/DAL: Mike Modano/Peter Forsberg: These two should likely be matched against each other. Forsberg's the best player in the world and can win a series by himself IMO. Modano needs to contain him.

Old
04-05-2004, 01:39 AM
Trottier
Very Random

Tampa/Isles - Michael Peca. As he goes, so does this team. It took him a good 22 months, but the Captain Crunch of the past is back. He's playing like a mean #$%, and he has jump offensively. If NYI is to have a chance in this series, Lecavalier (especially) and Richards, TB's strong duo down the middle, must be shut down. NYI will take their chances with St. Louis, Modin and the Lightning's other talented forwards creating on their own. And if VL is to be stopped, it will be the Captain who will have to do it. That should be a great battle.

Boston/Montreal - Alexei Kovalev. He has been invisible since arriving in Montreal. Habs do not possess that much firepower to begin with (which is why they acquired him), and as good as Ryder was this season, the playoffs are an entirely different game. He could produce, but it's unwise to count on a rookie, as well as a guy who has had his first productive NHL season (Ribeiro) to help carry you offensively come April. Kovalev must step up.

Philadelphia/New Jersey - Colin White. Devils can win this series by stopping Philly from scoring, not by getting into a shooting match with them. Flyers big forwards will need to play big (physical). Devils must contain them. No Stevens means someone must step up physically.

Toronto/Ottawa - Marian Hossa. Your best players must be your best players come playoff time. If Hossa does not produce, the Sens have no chance at the Cup.

Detroit/Nashville - Derian Hatcher. I expect Trotz and Co. to try to play it very physical. Hatcher can play a big hand in ending that quickly. I expect this series to be short.

San Jose/St. Louis - Doug Weight. His game (production) needs to be turned up a notch. (Unless Nabakov steals it, which is quite possible, I expect St. Louis to win this series.)

Vancouver/Calgary - Sedins. (Kind of like one player. ). For Vancouver to go deep, they will need production beyond Morrison/Naslund. Its time for the kids to step up.

Colorado/Dallas - Peter Forsberg. All signs point to Dallas taking this series. Playing excellent hockey, better coach, better goalie (that's not a slight at Aebischer, who is solid; Turco is simply superior). Forsberg, more than any other Avs player, can change a game, a series, single-handedly. He may have to do just that.

Last edited by Trottier: 04-05-2004 at 01:55 AM.
Old
04-05-2004, 01:41 AM
gmdevils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier
Detroit/Nashville - Kevin Hatcher. I expect Trotz and Co. to try to play it very physical. Hatcher can play a big hand in ending that quickly. I expect this series to be short.
Joking? Or did you mean Derian?

Old
04-05-2004, 01:49 AM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmdevils
Joking? Or did you mean Derian?
Error. Corrected.

Old
04-05-2004, 06:17 AM
Liquidrage*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GagsIsDaMan
Well he played well today and if it wasn't for him we would be lucky to be a 7th or an 8th seed...see Hacket and the vertigo.
No he didn't.

3 on 26 is an .885 Save %
We're typically a great defensive team. Yesterday we weren't. But those 26 shots were nothing special. Most goalies face shots just like those if not more and better chances. And to come out of it with an .885 is poor.
He didn't make any truely great saves.
And two out of the three goals should have been stopped.

One of the goals was shot from just inside the blueline, wasn't deflected and there was no screen on the shot itself. The screen was prior to the shot and Esche never saw the puck go over to the other point and wasn't watching as the shot beat him.
That's a puck he has to find and a goal he has to stop.

And the other was Yashin's goal. An unscreened slapped from near the top of the circle. That just has to get stopped. Especially when he's letting in other goals that could be stopped. Especially when it's a tie game in the 3rd period and your team needs at least a point to win the division and everyone knows it.

Old
04-05-2004, 09:53 AM
btn
Gone Hollywood

Tampa-NYI: Dan Boyle will need to prove that the Isles are not the only team with sneaky offensive defenseman

Boston-Montreal: Saku Koivu is still Mr. Everything for the Habs. He needs to have the best series of his life to get the Canadiens past Boston.

Philly-NJ: Keith Primeau. Bobby Holik was a dud in the playoffs for many years, Primeau needs to do more than shut down the opposition. He needs to score.

Toronto-Ottawa: Tucker-Domi, can they play their games in the playoffs without losing their minds in the process. Their antics have always cost the Leafs, if they cannot keep their emotions in check there will be problems.

Detroit-Nashvegas: Hull. If he gets hot look out.

SJ-St. Louis: Dallas Drake. To me he is the just the embodiment of why St. Louis will win this series. Garbage goals and nasty play will dictate this series.

Vancouver-Calgary: Shean Donovan. He can create with his speed, prior to this year it was finishing that was the problem. He must finish his chances for Calgary to have a shot.

Colorado-Dallas: Jason Arnott. Must show up.

Old
04-05-2004, 10:34 AM
BrimFullofAsham45

Quote:
Originally Posted by btn
Philly-NJ: Keith Primeau. Bobby Holik was a dud in the playoffs for many years, Primeau needs to do more than shut down the opposition. He needs to score.
I'll agree that Primeau is the most important player for the Flyers, but I'll be satisfied as long as he shuts down the Elias line. Every Flyers line is capable of producing offense, the biggest threat on the Devils is Elias and he needs to be muted if the Flyers plan on winning this series.

Old
04-05-2004, 11:05 AM
blah

Elias doesn't turn it on until they're down 2 goals. Neidermayer is the player they need to find an answer to. Shots from the point are what Esche has been allowing at a disgusting rate.

Old
04-05-2004, 11:47 AM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

I'll give it a shot:

Lightning/Islanders: The Islanders defense corps, specifically Roman Hamrlik. They HAVE to "contain" the Bolts top offensive players and keep some of the pressure off DiPietro.

Boston/Montreal: Joe Thornton. Will he be able to shake off his lingering injuries and take the Bruins on his back? If not, I don't think Boston advances.

Philadelphia/New Jersey: David Hale. With Scott Stevens still a question Hale will need to step up his game and help nuetralize Philly's large and physical forwards.

Toronto/Ottawa: I'm going with Brian Leetch because he's been in this position before, knows how to win, and at his best can dominate the transition game like few others. If he's on fire look out.

Detroit/Nashville: Derian Hatcher. He needs to prove that he's close to 100% and can be the punishing crease clearer that is a godsend in the playoffs. If he's effective the Preds will have a very difficult time scoring.

San Jose/St. Louis: Keith Tkachuk. I see alot of people mentioning Doug Weight. He DOES step up. It's Tkachuk and Demitra that are question marks. Tkachuk has been the Blues best forward, maybe player all year, he needs to make sure that continues in the playoffs. If he's on the top of his game, San Jose CAN'T contain him.

Vancouver/Calgary: Markus Naslund. No Bertuzzi, which means ALL the focus will be on Naslund. He has to produce for the Canucks to have a chance in what I think will be a low scoring series.

Colorado/Dallas: Mike Modano. A lost regular season, although he has played much better of late. If he's at the top of his game, Dallas will win the series. He has to be able to partially contain Sakic/Forsberg, as well as chip in a healthy dose of offense.

Old
04-05-2004, 11:51 AM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by polarslam
Vancouver/Calgary- Todd BertuziHe is the most important player in this series. His absesnce gives the Flames hope to pull the upset and his absescene is key to Vancouver because they will have to carry the load without him if they want to win.
Considering the Canucks have played some of their best hockey without Bertuzzi, I don't think this will be much of a factor. The Canucks have proven they are still a very solid team without Big Bert.

Old
04-05-2004, 12:15 PM
Teezax

TB/NYI:
Peca will be the integral part of a playoff win for the Isles.

Bos/Mtl:
Koivu needs to lead by example if the Habs want to repeat the last series they had with the B's.

Phi/NJ:
Keith Primeau needs to play his A game in order to overcome the Devils in a 7 game series. His presence on the ice means everythign to the Flyers.

Tor/Ott:
Alex Mogilny can take the series over by himself if he plays the offensive game that made him famous.

Det/Nash:
David Legwand needs to be a true leader if Nashville wants any chance at escaping the first round.

San Jose/St Louis:
Chris Pronger needs to shut down everything in site or St. Louis will be singing the Blues in April.

Vancouver/Calgary:
Iginla needs to bring his scoring touch into the post season, or Vancouver will have a date with the second round.

Colorado/Dallas:
Lehtinen needs to do what he does best, and could sen Colorado packing after the 1st round for the second time in as many years.

Old
04-05-2004, 12:18 PM
Timmy1973

Tam/NYI: Pavel Kubina-I think the Isles have enough to shut down the Lightning forwards which could create chances for the D. Kubina has to be mister all around for the Lightning: offensive defenseman, defensive zone shutter downer (like he was on Jagr last year after game 2), penalty killer and power play point man.
Bos/Montreal: Michael Nylander-Kind of a quiet pick up, but with Thornton banged up, a big piece of the first line isn't at 100%. Second line will help the B's a lot.
Phil/NJ: Scott Niedermayer-NJ's best D man will have to have a great series for the Devils to stay close to Philly.
Tor/Ott: Bryan McCabe-The Sens have a lot of weapons to throw at the Leafs. Arguably the Leafs best defenseman throughout the year must keep it up against the Sens.

Col/Dal: Peter Forsberg-Can win a series almost by himself. With Kariya and Tanguay hurting and Selanne a disappointment, he must help Sakic and Hejduk put up points.
Det/Nas: Steve Sullivan-Must put up powerplay points for the Preds to have any chance. Detroit should eat 'em up 5-on-5 with all the talent and experience they have.
Van/Calgary: Don't really know too much about either team but would it be safe to assume that Vancouver is the favorite? If so Calgary needs production out of Jerome Iginla.
Stl/SJ: Chris Pronger-No MacInnis. No Jackman. Pronger has to be the guy to keep the Sharks off the score board. And at probably 30+ minutes a game too.

Old
04-05-2004, 12:20 PM
Flames Draft Watcher

Wow, crazy that some have picked Donovan for the Flames. IMO our top 2 defensemen (Regehr, Leopold) and checking line centre (Yelle if healthy, otherwise Nilson unless McAmmond if healthy) might be some of the keys for us. If we don't shut down their offense we won't have a great chance.

Closed Thread