HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Young blueline ready for spotlight: Season Preview

Old
09-10-2009, 11:50 AM
DD88

vCash: 500
Young blueline ready for spotlight: Season Preview

As part of the HFBoards partnership program, I've been granted the permission to post the below article.

Quote:
Stockpiling one of the league’s best young cores, the future is about to arrive for the Los Angeles Kings. But once again, the Kings disinterest in adding a dependable netminder will prove to be the team’s stumbling block in keeping them from the post-season.

Though cap space is available, the Kings have done little to improve their goaltending, which is the team’s only true weakness. With the club in wait-and-see mode for goalie Jonathan Bernier, the net duties have been assigned to the tandem of Jonathan Quick and Erik Ersberg. Two young netminders does not bode well for a playoff appearance. The Kings have not qualified for the playoffs since 2002.

The Kings possess one of the league’s best young bluelines, headed by a pair of future stars in Drew Doughty and Jack Johnson. In his rookie campaign last season, Doughty tallied a respectable 27 points, while leading the team in ice-time with 23:49. The Kings made two major additions this off-season, one being defenseman Rob Scuderi, coming off a Stanley Cup championship with the Pittsburgh Penguins. Young defensemen Peter Harrold, Colton Teubert, and Canadian world junior captain Thomas Hickey will also battle for playing time.

Acquired at last year’s trade deadline, winger Justin Williams struggled following the trade to Los Angeles but will look to reverse that trend. On the other wing is Ryan Smyth, added this summer from Colorado for defensemen Kyle Quincey and Tom Preissing.

Prediction: 13th in West
For more season previews, check out www.corywilkins.ca

DD88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 11:52 AM
not tellin*

LOL, im guessing this article won't get much love but thanks for posting it.

not tellin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 11:56 AM
Kings man 4 life

Quick being under-rated again lol but should he blow up then your assessment is spot on lol

Kings man 4 life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 11:57 AM
rapots

Just beacuse Kings don't have a big name in goal that doesn't mean Kings are bad at that position. Is this author at least checked the stats?

rapots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 12:03 PM
Knight of the Realm
Champs Again!

I've got faith in Quick. Bernier not so much.

Knight of the Realm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 12:17 PM
DD88

I don't mind Quick. Obviously he wouldn't be my first choice, but is he enough to carry this team into a playoff position? Have to wonder if Lombardi had any interest in Khabibulin this summer.

DD88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 12:18 PM
The Big Giant Head

vCash: 50
We should all be used to the Kings being under-rated. Most people that are not apart of the western hockey culture are unaware of what goes on in our organizations. Labs killed the first half of our season and quick/ersberg saved the final half. Both are unproven net minders but Quick definitely shows the ability of being a solid number 1. Us placing 13 seem ridiculously low considering we placed 14 last season and we've improved immensely since then.

We'll battle for the 8th seed...its no given but we'll be there. These hockey "journalist" dont do adequate research in most cases, just opinions and overviews.

The Big Giant Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 12:33 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight of the Realm View Post
I've got faith in Quick. Bernier not so much.
I'm the other way around. In my opinion, probability still lies with Bernier. I like Quick, I think he could potentially be our franchise #1, but I think Bernier wins in the tools department and I think that is most important. Quick has the best attitude and mental state between the two, but the greatest goaltenders of the league are usually not the ones with great attitudes and personalities (arguably, they could be in their own right), they are the ones with the tools and the willpower to utilize them.

I prefer goaltenders that are technically sound over athletically acrobatic because one tends to have a greater longevity over the other. It is very hard to maintain that level of play consistently over time when you rely on athleticism over fundamentals. Quick made some outstanding saves, but they seemed more outstanding than they should have been because he was over zealous or in a questionable position and had the athleticism to rebound. That is a tremendous asset to have, but I question how long he can use it, not to mention, it leaves more to chance - it is easier to have an off year as thing just didn't bounce your way.

I hope that Quick continues to get better and if he develops into that player, I wouldn't object at all to have him in the pipes during the playoffs, but I look at Bernier's style of play, talent, and abilities to likely win out in the end. It is up to Quick to close the door - but even then, Bernier has the potential to smash through it.

“Every good army needs a couple of criminals.” - Dean Lombardi
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 01:22 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
I'm the other way around. In my opinion, probability still lies with Bernier. I like Quick, I think he could potentially be our franchise #1, but I think Bernier wins in the tools department and I think that is most important. Quick has the best attitude and mental state between the two, but the greatest goaltenders of the league are usually not the ones with great attitudes and personalities (arguably, they could be in their own right), they are the ones with the tools and the willpower to utilize them.
The greatest goaltenders have the best attitude and the best 5 inches where it counts. That doesn't mean they aren't BAT **** crazy. There is a big difference between bat **** crazy without any confidence (ie: Labarbera) and bat **** crazy with a good head for the game (Roy). I hold out hope for Bernier, big time, but the fact that he ever pouted or sulked and let it affect his play on the ice worries the crap out of me. I need to see him fight through that kind of thing. Its nice that he rebounded, but he has to show he can not sulk in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
I prefer goaltenders that are technically sound over athletically acrobatic because one tends to have a greater longevity over the other. It is very hard to maintain that level of play consistently over time when you rely on athleticism over fundamentals. Quick made some outstanding saves, but they seemed more outstanding than they should have been because he was over zealous or in a questionable position and had the athleticism to rebound. That is a tremendous asset to have, but I question how long he can use it, not to mention, it leaves more to chance - it is easier to have an off year as thing just didn't bounce your way.
I don't see it this way at all. I think Quick has good position on the initial shot, and the area he is a little weaker in is rebound control. A lot of those spectacular saves were the results of odd-man rushes against, rebound chances and/or a pass getting through that shouldn't have. You make him sound like Hasek.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 01:25 PM
dabeechman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Wilkins View Post
I don't mind Quick. Obviously he wouldn't be my first choice, but is he enough to carry this team into a playoff position? Have to wonder if Lombardi had any interest in Khabibulin this summer.
Although this video never gets old, you should take a look at it. He is plenty capable of holding any team down as long as he played the way he did last season.

dabeechman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 01:32 PM
deano

It's obvious that most of these hockey writers don't watch the Kings much. They all throw out the big name draftees, with a couple of our bigger named players, and then say how we would have been a better team with this journeyman or that superstar. These things are almost status quo across the board. It would be nice to have someone actually have some insight into some of the less heralded prospects/players who are actually becoming solid additions for us. IE Simmonds, Quick, Drewiske, Handzus....... It's easy to look at the standings from year to year and say that we are improving slow and steady, but anyone who watched this young team last year, knows that we were practically a playoff team if it weren't for a terrible skid in the last two weeks. Even this was hardly a surprise with the young roster we had. I will actually be shocked if we don't make the playoffs (barring any unforeseen injuries).

deano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 03:11 PM
The Big Giant Head

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post

I don't see it this way at all. I think Quick has good position on the initial shot, and the area he is a little weaker in is rebound control. A lot of those spectacular saves were the results of odd-man rushes against, rebound chances and/or a pass getting through that shouldn't have. You make him sound like Hasek.
Disagree...Quick had excellent rebound control last season, it wasn't perfect by any means but only on other than a few bad occasions (like a lot of good goalies) he had a few that slipped away. I think Quick's main problem is staying consistent and confident. That comes with experience which obviously he lacks but will gain with each game he plays well.

The Big Giant Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 03:15 PM
PHX FireBirds18

You should see the fantastic job he did on the Coyotes.

PHX FireBirds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 03:16 PM
SFKingshomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX FireBirds18 View Post
Neither Quick nor Bernier played against the Coyotes.

SFKingshomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 03:22 PM
BringTheReign

Did anyone besides us watch Quick or Ersberg play last season?

BringTheReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 03:26 PM
lak4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX FireBirds18 View Post
Not quite sure what your refering too?

lak4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 03:27 PM
lak4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringTheReign View Post
Did anyone besides us watch Quick or Ersberg play last season?
Probably not.

Old
09-10-2009, 03:29 PM
TonySCV
One More Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by lak4ever View Post
Not quite sure what your refering too?
Probably this.. http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=678902

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 03:41 PM
TonySCV
One More Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Wilkins View Post
The last thing the Kings need to worry about is goaltending. Our offensive production last season was awful. That's the highest priority problem that needs to be addressed, not goaltending. The issues we had in goal all last season primarily revolved around Jason LaBarbera, who has mercifully left the fold. Quick was very good for us most of the time, spectacular some of the time, occasionally average, and rarely below average. Ersberg played admirably as well.

Our offense, OTOH, was dreadful through most of the year because the focus for the year was shoring up the defensive game, which caused some of the offense to suffer. This year I expect that Terry Murray will focus on the offensive side of things more now that our defensive house is in order.

- T

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 03:44 PM
The Fuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by not tellin View Post
LOL, im guessing this article won't get much love but thanks for posting it.
He's gotten killed by every fan base.

The Fuhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 03:50 PM
silverstick

I'm glad people are underestimating Quick, this way they will take him lightly and he will shock the sh** out of people, like he did to us fans last year.

silverstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 03:59 PM
KingNothing4

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fuhr View Post
He's gotten killed by every fan base.
I noticed this too. I think Quick will do fine and from what I've heard I prefer Quick to Bernier right now.

KingNothing4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 04:11 PM
PHX FireBirds18

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
Thank you. I was just trying to point out that Kings fans shouldn't get to worked up over the article, seeing as he is poorly researched giving him an unfair assessment on most of the teams in the league.

I know how good Bernier and Quick potentially could be. My good friend is a Kings fan and I watch quite a few of your guys games. One of my favorite games I ever went to was Frozen Fury a couple years back when Bernier dominated the Av's. I'm going again this year, hope to see a great game.

PHX FireBirds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 04:13 PM
lak4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post

That makes sense.

Old
09-10-2009, 04:43 PM
onlyalad

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapots View Post
Just beacuse Kings don't have a big name in goal that doesn't mean Kings are bad at that position. Is this author at least checked the stats?
Not an arguement I would use. Stat wise Quick was 20th best and Ersberg 39th. Not that Stats are everyting. I am hoping that Quick can step it up this year and that Bernier can get the back-up. Ersberg is inconsistant in my opinion. I am not looking for a cup run (this year) just a chance to be good and games to mean something in April other than draft pick.

onlyalad is offline   Reply With Quote