HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Why do people care about who's going to be the next captain?

Old
09-10-2009, 06:37 PM
kostitsyn1489

vCash: 500
Why do people care about who's going to be the next captain?

There's tons of debate on, who would make the best captain and stuff and to me it just makes NO sense.

It's the players' choice. I think they are mature and smart enough to pick themselves. I think they know which player fit the role the best, they actually know the players. They know what they bring in the locker room as well.

Also the, they need to talk to the referee thingy is just lame. The alternate can talk to referees just as much, you can EASILY designate someone else to do it. It's not cause Markov is captain that Gomez that has a A(just for the purpose of this) can't actually go talk to the referees.

Also, you can't just have 1 player bringing leadership in a team and you can't only have one player standing up when it's needed.

Seriously, debating over this is TOTALLY useless and no it won't change ANYTHING whoever is picked. We got our core, we almost already have the same team. Whoever is made captain won't change the fact that we'll have the same 25-26-27-28 guys playing for our team and these guys won't suddenly be amazing or suck badly based on who wears the C.

kostitsyn1489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 06:41 PM
PK76

I agree about the fact that it makes no sense to speculate on the subject but you can't ask for people not to care about who's going to be our team's CAPTAIN...

PK76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 06:42 PM
kostitsyn1489

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabzFanatik71 View Post
I agree about the fact that it makes no sense to speculate on the subject but you can't ask for people not to care about who's going to be our team's CAPTAIN...
Shoulda used, who's going to be the next captain.. edit time!

Old
09-10-2009, 06:54 PM
BakerNator

There is not much else going on...so, until camp starts we are stuck with it.

BakerNator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 06:54 PM
Ghost of Saku

debating about anything Habs related is useless - we have no control over anything

close the boards

Ghost of Saku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 06:59 PM
kostitsyn1489

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost of Saku View Post
debating about anything Habs related is useless - we have no control over anything

close the boards
I'd say debating over players we could call-up, draft, sign, trade for and stuff is good.

Thing is, the captaincy wont change jack **** about how the team plays. We'll have the exact same team no matter who has a letter and who hasnt.

Old
09-10-2009, 07:04 PM
Galchenyuk94

Because we've never not had a captain and look at our past success. History tells us we need a captain to win the stanley cup

Galchenyuk94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 07:07 PM
The Nightman

vCash: 50
yes it does matter... I like to know who will be the team leader, also I like to blame loses on the captain. I believe the term is space goat.

The Nightman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 07:09 PM
Seb
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Seb
We've had the same captain for 11 years, I was 11yo when Koivu became captain. It's something new for most of us. So yeah, I believe there's nothing wrong about debating/talking about who's gonna be our next C.

Seb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 07:12 PM
11Goat11
Inside her

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABbiest View Post
yes it does matter... I like to know who will be the team leader, also I like to blame loses on the captain. I believe the term is space goat.

Not much else we can talk about. Being the Habs captain is important and we haven't had a different one in like 9 years, it's a valid discussion.

11Goat11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 07:36 PM
WhiskeySeven
Enlarged Member

Why do people care who is captain of the most storied franchise in hockey history? Y'know the captain only represents the team at all times, leads the players, speaks with the media and is the general ambassador and delegate for the club toward the public eye. That's it really.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 07:37 PM
Fozz

I don't really care who's the next captain.

Fozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 07:40 PM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by kostitsyn1489 View Post
I'd say debating over players we could call-up, draft, sign, trade for and stuff is good.

Thing is, the captaincy wont change jack **** about how the team plays. We'll have the exact same team no matter who has a letter and who hasnt.
Except for 99.999% of the players people discuss about trading for or signing don't happen, thus it won't change jack **** either so........

This is a discussion board, heaven forbid thats what we do.

Kirk Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 08:46 PM
habsman56
Habs&Hoops

We're on a discussion board, is it shocking that we're discussing stuff?

habsman56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 09:17 PM
Lizard King*

It's the offseason there's not much to talk about so any discussion is a good one.

Lizard King* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 10:48 PM
Le Gros Bill

If you're a true fan, it's a big deal. Some of the game's most celebrated players have worn the C proudly.

Bouchard, Rocket, Doug Harvey, Beliveau, Pocket Rocket, Cournoyer, Savard, Gainey, Carbo, Chelios to name some. Even players like Muller, Damphousse and Koivu in their own right.

The captaincy is an important part of team lore, it adds so much mystique and romanticism to Les Glorieux!

Le Gros Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 10:56 PM
Canadian_Brewtality

how can you say it doesent matter??

The captain of the Montreal Canadiens, like it or not, is a prestigious honor. They get spoken about, seen, criticized, idolized more than any other figure in the province. They essentially are the face and voice of the franchise. Why do you think Saku got so much garbage thrown at him over the years. If he wasnt the captain, the french language issue would have been totally obsolete.

Your captain is your leader on the ice, off the ice, with the coaches and when your down and out in a game, he is the guy your hoping will turn it around with a great effort on the next play, whether its a pass, check, defesnive play, goal, fight, whatever.

To minimilize the importance of the captaincy is ridiculous. Why have any body in the position of power and leadership then if it dosent change a thing?

Canadian_Brewtality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 11:09 PM
kostitsyn1489

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_Brewtality View Post
Your captain is your leader on the ice, off the ice, with the coaches and when your down and out in a game, he is the guy your hoping will turn it around with a great effort on the next play, whether its a pass, check, defesnive play, goal, fight, whatever.
If only the captain does that the season will be pretty long.

I'm 20 yo and am watching hockey since forever, the only thing it seemed to do basically ever since I remember is, he doesnt speak french and I'm kind of sick of it. Maybe they should put a Z on some guy's jersey instead maybe it would bring less useless ****** debate.

I just dont see the captain as THAT much more of a leader as anyone else... If there's only one guy stepping up when we suck then as i said we really are in deep ****. If Gomez being captain make Markov not step up when we are down one goal i think we should have only assistant...

I want the 18 players and the goalie to be able to step up when needed and be able to bring leadership. I dont wanna rely on one guy.

Also what I emant was mostly the debate, this guy would be a better leader for this team then this one and stuff and it looks like the argument are pretty ****** overall... It's more favoritism then anything else..

Old
09-11-2009, 11:32 AM
saints96

i hope its cammalleri.. because he cant speak french, then we get to hear the french media go ape sh** again!

saints96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2009, 11:38 AM
Turtleneck Plek
Real Life

Quote:

WRONG.

A good captain will be able to motivate his team, get them to that next level. Sure, a real leader doesn't need a letter on his shirt to be one, but it helps establish his status not only with the team, but with other teams and fans in general. The other players are looking up to their captain, they turn to him when something needs to happen because while he may not be the best player on the team, he's it's catalyst.

Also, being that this is the Montreal Canadiens, who have had some of the best captains in history and the same one for 10 years and some change prior to this season, I'd say it's a pretty important subject of debate as to who will succeed to Saku. Nothing is forcing you to click on threads concerning captaincy issues if you don't want to read about it.

Turtleneck Plek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2009, 12:22 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akost View Post
WRONG.

A good captain will be able to motivate his team, get them to that next level. Sure, a real leader doesn't need a letter on his shirt to be one, but it helps establish his status not only with the team, but with other teams and fans in general. The other players are looking up to their captain, they turn to him when something needs to happen because while he may not be the best player on the team, he's it's catalyst.

Also, being that this is the Montreal Canadiens, who have had some of the best captains in history and the same one for 10 years and some change prior to this season, I'd say it's a pretty important subject of debate as to who will succeed to Saku. Nothing is forcing you to click on threads concerning captaincy issues if you don't want to read about it.
That's all fine and dandy, but it doesn't mean you won't get players to motivate themselves and others if there's 3 assistants instead of 2 ''A'' and 1 ''C''.
There is no rush to give out a letter considering half the team changed and the other half is almost all youngsters. It would be much wiser to let the season go by and see who steps up, who gets the most respect, etc..

There's no need to throw the letter out carelessly.
You can give it to a veteran like Hamrlik or Gill, those guys will always be respected. I think that's what might happen, for a year.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2009, 12:54 PM
Ludo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxLapierre View Post
Why do people care who is captain of the most storied franchise in hockey history? Y'know the captain only represents the team at all times, leads the players, speaks with the media and is the general ambassador and delegate for the club toward the public eye. That's it really.
bang on.

Ludo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2009, 01:29 PM
Canadian_Brewtality

Quote:
If only the captain does that the season will be pretty long.

I'm 20 yo and am watching hockey since forever, the only thing it seemed to do basically ever since I remember is, he doesnt speak french and I'm kind of sick of it. Maybe they should put a Z on some guy's jersey instead maybe it would bring less useless ****** debate.

I just dont see the captain as THAT much more of a leader as anyone else... If there's only one guy stepping up when we suck then as i said we really are in deep ****. If Gomez being captain make Markov not step up when we are down one goal i think we should have only assistant...

I want the 18 players and the goalie to be able to step up when needed and be able to bring leadership. I dont wanna rely on one guy.

Also what I emant was mostly the debate, this guy would be a better leader for this team then this one and stuff and it looks like the argument are pretty ****** overall... It's more favoritism then anything else..
first off, you are young, so the only captain you know is Koivu. He wasnt a vocal leader, but did everything asked of him off and on the ice, minus the french of course.

You dont get it, you need a general, someone to rally the troops. Of course you will need to be surroudned by other leaders. No team has 18 leaders, it would be chaos.

Its 3-4, maybe 5 guys on the team who need to form a strong presence and influence on the team, so they never get too high or too low. In the end the Captain HAS to be a THE leader. When the coach puts in a system your captain has to be on board 100% so the rest of the team and especially young ones follow. If you have a captain who dosent want to back-check, dosent finish checks, dosent hustle, it sends a bad message to everyone else.

Try playing organized sports and see how easy it is to play on a team with NO captain, and a team with 18 captains. It dosent work.

Have you heard of Jean Beliveau? Maurice Richard? Yvon Cournoyer? Mark Messier? Steve Yzerman? Mario Lemieux? Scott Stevens?

Canadian_Brewtality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2009, 01:37 PM
TheCH*

Who the new Captain of a team will be is always a hot topic, whether its for the habs, Team Canada or whoever..

Your reasoning why we shouldn't care like "its totally useless debating because it won't change anything" is silly. We have no say in anything that gets debated on these forums pertaining to hockey, why don't we just shut the whole site down then eh?

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2009, 01:45 PM
kostitsyn1489

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_Brewtality View Post
first off, you are young, so the only captain you know is Koivu. He wasnt a vocal leader, but did everything asked of him off and on the ice, minus the french of course.

You dont get it, you need a general, someone to rally the troops. Of course you will need to be surroudned by other leaders. No team has 18 leaders, it would be chaos.

Its 3-4, maybe 5 guys on the team who need to form a strong presence and influence on the team, so they never get too high or too low. In the end the Captain HAS to be a THE leader. When the coach puts in a system your captain has to be on board 100% so the rest of the team and especially young ones follow. If you have a captain who dosent want to back-check, dosent finish checks, dosent hustle, it sends a bad message to everyone else.

Try playing organized sports and see how easy it is to play on a team with NO captain, and a team with 18 captains. It dosent work.

Have you heard of Jean Beliveau? Maurice Richard? Yvon Cournoyer? Mark Messier? Steve Yzerman? Mario Lemieux? Scott Stevens?

The core wont change no matter who's the captain.