HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dubinsky Contract Talk 2

Closed Thread

Old
09-11-2009, 06:49 PM
SkerZ
LGR

vCash: 500
I don't blame the Rangers for not wanting him to skate unless his deal is done but what happens if he misses all of camp? What happens if drury does well with gaborik and prospal does great for the second line and anisimov is a lock for 3rd center than what is the mind set having dubi come and smash someone out of there earned spot

Old
09-11-2009, 06:49 PM
Dr. Ogrodnick

vCash: 661
Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
theres more to this.

there has to be. not coming to camp would be stupid. period.

dubinsky is being over valued by his agent. im sure theyre saying, hey were your 1c and we arent going to be paid like a 3c. slats is obviously not playing along witht that.

not good for team unity imo.

prospal at center might be a reality soon.

dubinsky seems to be overplaying his hand. he might wanna give nik zherdev a call and see how that worked for him.

If Dubinsky is in camp without a contract the team insurance doesn't cover him. It would be stupid of him to risk it and the Rangers wouldn't let him into camp simply for that reason.

Old
09-11-2009, 07:31 PM
AXN

If they can't sign him then might as well trade him for Heatley. How much are they apart?

Old
09-11-2009, 07:43 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

This is ridiculous.

I'm annoyed at BOTH parties.

It's embarrassing.

Sather wouldn't trade him for Heatley, but he won't sign him to close to what Callahan got?

WTF?

Which one is it? You value the player or you don't.

Also, who the heck does Dubinsky think he is? Sign the damn contract and play. You would rather sit out like a sour puss? You are being HANDED an opportunity to play with one of the top 3 goal scorers in the WORLD, and you are being this stubborn??

This situation is really annoying.

Old
09-11-2009, 07:49 PM
HAPPY HOUR

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXN View Post
If they can't sign him then might as well trade him for Heatley. How much are they apart?
Salary Cap AX.. and Murray doesn't want Rosy according to just about everyone.. Actually everyone. But agree with ya about if Brandon wants to play this out than he has to be willing to pack his bags and go wherever Slats sees fit.

And if so then moving him is better than a prolonged holdout that can and will get nasty..

(all hypothetical..of course.) Still think he signs within a week or gets traded before Oct 1st.

Old
09-11-2009, 07:58 PM
IslesBeBack*
NHL Free Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
This is ridiculous.

I'm annoyed at BOTH parties.

It's embarrassing.

Sather wouldn't trade him for Heatley, but he won't sign him to close to what Callahan got?

WTF?

Which one is it? You value the player or you don't.

Also, who the heck does Dubinsky think he is? Sign the damn contract and play. You would rather sit out like a sour puss? You are being HANDED an opportunity to play with one of the top 3 goal scorers in the WORLD, and you are being this stubborn??

This situation is really annoying.
Look at Kessel. Look around the league. The young players in this league have really come to think they can demand what they want. The respect and integrity is gone. I continue to hope Chiarelli and Sather stay the course.

If you all remember, the Islanders let Bergenheim go back home for a year in 2006 because of a contract dispute. No matter the potential, no matter the player - you abide by the rules. If Sather feels that he has been generous and honorous in the process with Brandon, than tough luck.

Someone has to learn, and it's not going to be Sather. Sather has been in the NHL for how long? He's not going to let Dubinsky call the shots. Something tells me that Dubinsky will be a hold out if he doesn't let go of the ego, and soon.

Old
09-11-2009, 07:58 PM
AXN

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAPPY HOUR View Post
Salary Cap AX.. and Murray doesn't want Rosy according to just about everyone.. Actually everyone. But agree with ya about if Brandon wants to play this out than he has to be willing to pack his bags and go wherever Slats sees fit.

And if so then moving him is better than a prolonged holdout that can and will get nasty..

(all hypothetical..of course.) Still think he signs within a week or gets traded before Oct 1st.
What a surprise that Murray does not want Rozsival. Zherdev and Dubinsky would be a good offer. Gave away Zherdev for free. Maybe Dubinsky, Kotalik, McDonagh. They really need to sign Dubinsky. This is getting really bad.

Old
09-11-2009, 08:00 PM
Banks3rdLineCenter

I know the situations are different but you'd think he'd see what happened to Zherdev and even Betts and realize this isn't the best moment to try to squeeze a lucrative deal out of a GM... especially when he has no leverage whatsoever.

Old
09-11-2009, 08:01 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Ogrodnick View Post
If Dubinsky is in camp without a contract the team insurance doesn't cover him. It would be stupid of him to risk it and the Rangers wouldn't let him into camp simply for that reason.
i understand the insurance issue. trust me.

my concern is that the situation got to this point.

thats the rub. the whole thing is counterproductive to the end goal.

thats all.

Old
09-11-2009, 08:11 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Sather did apparently increase the one year offer to more than what Dubinsky made last season.

According to the article by Brooks,it seems the Rangers won't allow Dubinsky to participate in camp until he signs a contract. He wanted to participate without a contract but it seems the Rangers said no.
looks like slats is playing hardball. this is a business. really, brandon doesnt have much leverage here.

dubinsky may have an important career decision to make very soon.

Old
09-11-2009, 08:15 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

If we don't reach an agreement, trade him for Heatley, Kessel, or Richards.

This is ridiculous.

Old
09-11-2009, 08:39 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkerZ View Post
I don't blame the Rangers for not wanting him to skate unless his deal is done but what happens if he misses all of camp? What happens if drury does well with gaborik and prospal does great for the second line and anisimov is a lock for 3rd center than what is the mind set having dubi come and smash someone out of there earned spot
I imagine Dubinsky would have to earn a spot in that case, which I'm sure he really doesn't want to do. That's another mark against him for sitting out too long...the Rangers will go on without him and he'll lose his chance to be 1st line center next to a legit sniper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Ogrodnick View Post
He can buy his own insurance. Players have done it before

Quote:
We know the one year deal isn't close to what Callahan got, but we don't know what the multi year deals are. I imagine they're a lot more fair and around what Callahan got.

Old
09-11-2009, 09:39 PM
Fletch

Not sure I blame Sather much here. He's using as much bargaining leverage as he has. Interesting that noone in the league has signed im to an offer sheet greater than what the Rangers are willing to offer him and essentially trading him for a #2 pick. Take the one year deal, play a great season then sign a two year deal paying around what Cally's getting and leave the Rangers as a UFA at age 26 - stick it back to Sather. That's the advice I'd give Dubi.

Old
09-11-2009, 09:56 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
Not sure I blame Sather much here. He's using as much bargaining leverage as he has. Interesting that noone in the league has signed im to an offer sheet greater than what the Rangers are willing to offer him and essentially trading him for a #2 pick. Take the one year deal, play a great season then sign a two year deal paying around what Cally's getting and leave the Rangers as a UFA at age 26 - stick it back to Sather. That's the advice I'd give Dubi.
Dubi won't be an UFA until he's 27...4 more years.

Old
09-11-2009, 10:03 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Amazing what a little contract discrepancy will do to a fanbase's opinion of a kid.

1 week ago, Dubinsky was untouchable. Now people want to ship him off just because he doesn't want to sign for peanuts. Yeah.. shame on him.

Old
09-11-2009, 10:08 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
I'm sorry but just because you're not arbitration elligible doesn't mean that your team can treat you like **** when it comes to contract offers.
Well actually, yes it does. After year four of a players career, leverage passes to the player. First arbitration and then UFA. Management get the ability to control salaries for a period of time in return for drafting anad developing the player. Works that way in every sport.

Old
09-11-2009, 10:15 PM
OverTheCap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Amazing what a little contract discrepancy will do to a fanbase's opinion of a kid.

1 week ago, Dubinsky was untouchable. Now people want to ship him off just because he doesn't want to sign for peanuts. Yeah.. shame on him.
Also, what some people need to realize is that the agent, not the player, is the one who does the negotiating in the majority of these circumstances. While Dubi does have the final say in approving or nixing a deal, his agent advises him what to do.

It happened during the Zherdev debacle as well. From the outset, it was clear that Zherdev didn't understand the arbitration process from some of the comments he made early in the summer, yet some tried to blame Zherdev for some things that were the agent's responsibility. Rollie Hedges totally mishandled the situation and it wouldn't surprise me if Zherdev fired him.

Overhardt is just doing his job by trying to get the best deal for his client. Why should Dubi get squeezed while other players of similar calibre are getting paid more?

Old
09-11-2009, 10:16 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:

dubi untouchable.

count me as one who thinks hes overrated and now, perhaps, no longer even in the future plans.

i keep thinking back to jed ortmeyer and dom moore and now nik zherdev.

slats doesnt screw around when it comes to negotiating contracts.

again, i say its a case of dubi and his agent trying to leverage slats as the only center who can play with gaborik and overplaying that to the point where slats said, take this offer or stay home.

Old
09-11-2009, 10:16 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

I've always said until this point that I wasn't worried and that Dubinsky would be locked up by training camp. I can honestly say I'm a little worried now.

Old
09-11-2009, 10:23 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:

We both know it was only a matter of time before the sentiment turned against him. Most fans want the players to act like fans as well...do anything for the sweater, be glad to just have a spot on a team, etc. It's business, it sucks, but that's how it is.

Old
09-11-2009, 10:45 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Holy crap...

Somebody give in already... compromise... something.

Old
09-11-2009, 11:00 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

This is all just a dry run for next year--except then Sather will really have to fear someone will try and poach Staal via an offer sheet. The disadvantages Staal will have (assuming he has a good season) is that the cap will probably be going down and fears about the what will happen when the CBA ends--leaving teams afraid to commit long term.

But, Dubinsky will sign.

Old
09-11-2009, 11:12 PM
broadwayblue

Yeah, Dubi was never untouchable in my book. To include him among the list of guys with Hank and Staal is a bit much. While Brandon may become a very good player, I'm not sold on him ever becoming great.

Old
09-11-2009, 11:21 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
dubi untouchable.

count me as one who thinks hes overrated and now, perhaps, no longer even in the future plans.

i keep thinking back to jed ortmeyer and dom moore and now nik zherdev.

slats doesnt screw around when it comes to negotiating contracts.

again, i say its a case of dubi and his agent trying to leverage slats as the only center who can play with gaborik and overplaying that to the point where slats said, take this offer or stay home.
The guy wants to get paid. You can't fault him for that, it's the way the business works. Taking a pay cut on an ELC after putting up back to back 40 point seasons isn't playing hardball, it's downright insulting. Dubinsky and his agent have every right to play the #1 center card against Sather because it's completely legitimate. Without Dubinsky, we're relying on a bounce back season for Prospal, a Buffalo-esque season from Drury, or a breakout from a 20 year old rookie in Anisimov to fill the gaping hole in the middle.

Dubinsky should be overrated by Rangers fans; he's an important piece of the team and we're worse without him. 40 points in a sophomore season on the team we had last year is nothing to sneeze at. He was still 5th on the team in scoring. When the vast majority of 2nd year players hit a slump, he managed to stay even despite the fact he was, in terms of offense, on a worse team than the season before.

I think Dubinsky is due for a very similar 3rd year to Travis Zajac. I'll be surprised if Dubinsky ever eclipses 75 points in his career year, but I think he has the skillset and hockey sense to be a solid 65-70-ish point center.

Old
09-11-2009, 11:35 PM
OverTheCap

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Yeah, Dubi was never untouchable in my book. To include him among the list of guys with Hank and Staal is a bit much. While Brandon may become a very good player, I'm not sold on him ever becoming great.
I don't think he's untouchable, per se, but he's an essential part of the team solely because of our lack of center depth. The moment Gomez was traded, Dubinsky's value to the team immediately skyrocketed. He's indispensable unless he's being traded away for another center.

Closed Thread