HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Pre-Game 1: Islanders @ Bolts.

Closed Thread

Old
04-08-2004, 12:07 PM
Brain Hemorrhage

vCash: 500
Wow Blake back game 3... talk about a warrior. I would hope if we take the away-and-away in Tampa that we wait until Game 4 to give Blake ice time even if he says "im ready" game 3.

Old
04-08-2004, 12:08 PM
Brain Hemorrhage

As for my comments on this series, I am going to give everyone a unique perspective that has not been discussed much, but as a general rule is the most simple phrase quoted in the playoffs.

THE TEAM THAT WINS THEIR HOME GAMES, WINS THE SERIES. AMEN.

Old
04-08-2004, 02:08 PM
DarkHorse
Go Banana!

If there's a line to watch that people in Tampa don't know about, it's Weinhandl - Scatchard - Hunter. Down the stretch they were on their game, with all three able to handle the puck, and all three able to find net. Not to mention the fact that the two big guys free up Weinhandl to find open ice. This line could be key.

Old
04-08-2004, 02:16 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW
Local NY papers report Jason Blake is expected to return for game 3 or 4 and Bates is expected to play in game 1.
As happy as I am to hear this report, am I the only fan who really takes issue that NHL teams are allowed conceal injuries? As in the type/severity of said ailment? Maybe Blake made a miraculous recovery. And prognoses do change. But IMO, NHL teams should be mandated to adapt "stricter" injury reporting guidelines, similar to the NFL. To be sure, that system too is imperfect, and likely the one group who is most effected by such reports are gamblers. And the old reason given for concealing injuries is to avoid the players being targeted once they step on the ice. But that is a weak argument, given the NFL's aforementioned policy.

And as a fan, it would be helpful to know more than Player XYZ suffered "an upper body injury" and will be out indefinitely, if more information is possible.

Old
04-08-2004, 02:31 PM
Brain Hemorrhage

Trottier I am disappointed my good person. I usually agree with you, but here I find you wrong completely.

NFL and NHL is a seperate house, seperate bed argument.

Old
04-08-2004, 02:51 PM
joeminus

Send a message via AIM to joeminus Send a message via Yahoo to joeminus
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkHorse
If there's a line to watch that people in Tampa don't know about, it's Weinhandl - Scatchard - Hunter.
Agreed. I fear this line possibly more than any other. Scatchard is vastly underrated outside NY, Hunter should win the Calder (IMO) and I really liked what I saw of Weinhandl down the stretch. But most of all I fear them because there's a pretty good chance they'll be matched up against one of the Lightning's scoring lines, whose defense can be dubious at times. To me, the two biggest things that the Isles have going for them is their top-4 defenseman and the fact that all four lines can score. It will be more important than ever for Lecavalier's and Richards' lines to backcheck consistently.

Old
04-08-2004, 03:22 PM
DarkHorse
Go Banana!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeminus
I fear them because there's a pretty good chance they'll be matched up against one of the Lightning's scoring lines, whose defense can be dubious at times.

Well let's play the linematching game.
Who does Coach T put out against these lines?

Kvasha - Yashin - Czerkawski
[Tampa Line]

Bates/Asham - Peca - Parrish
[Tampa Line]

Weinhandl - Scatchard - Hunter
[Tampa Line]

Asham/Papineau - Ronning - Webb
[Tampa Line]

Old
04-08-2004, 03:37 PM
Tiki

Send a message via ICQ to Tiki
5-3 Isles.

Steve Webb becomes only the the second player in history to score 5 goals in five different (PP, SH, Even up, PS, Empty net) ways. Then, shortly after, the world suddenly ends.

Old
04-08-2004, 03:46 PM
joeminus

Send a message via AIM to joeminus Send a message via Yahoo to joeminus
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkHorse
Well let's play the linematching game.
Who does Coach T put out against these lines?
Pure speculation here, because Torts is often unpredictable when it comes to matchups, but my guess would be:

Kvasha - Yashin - Czerkawski
vs.
Andreychuk-Taylor-Afanasenkov

Bates/Asham - Peca - Parrish
vs.
Fedotenko-Lecavalier-St. Louis

Weinhandl - Scatchard - Hunter
vs.
Modin-Richards-Stillman

Asham/Papineau - Ronning - Webb
vs.
Dingman/Roy-Perrin-Cibak

I could definitely see him putting out Richards' against the Yashin line, though, and putting Lecavalier's line against the Scatchard line. I think he has more faith defensively in the Richards line, especially with Modin, who's extremely solid in his own end.

Old
04-08-2004, 03:52 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiki
5-3 Isles.

Steve Webb becomes only the the second player in history to score 5 goals in five different (PP, SH, Even up, PS, Empty net) ways. Then, shortly after, the world suddenly ends.

Chances are, the world would likely end after the first Webb goal.

Old
04-08-2004, 04:50 PM
Brain Hemorrhage

If Chris Dingman or whoever scores goals for TB, that will hurt the Isles a lot. I posted on the Isles board how the key to this series will be Janne Niinimaa's play, in a big way.

1- Niinimaa has the potential to be the isles best defenseman, all-around. He's only played like it about seven times this season.

2- Niinimaa is willing to block shots at crucial moments in the game, particularly the third period and on 5-on-3 PKs.

3- Niinimaa must keep Eric Cairns off the ice

4- Niinimaa must avoid bad turnovers that have plagued him this season and soiled his reputation in my eyes somewhat

5- Despite Niinimaa's underwhelming performance this year, he's still one of the better defensemen in the league... and having him play well in critical games is absolutely crucial. There's the joke about how Game 3 is crucial, game 4 is critical...etc... every game is important and Niinimaa cant let up. He has to play over 20 minutes every game in the series, and play shift in shift out his best hockey of the season. Can he do it?

Old
04-08-2004, 04:57 PM
Brain Hemorrhage

@Swedish Bolt Fan

Here's something for ya... after this series... I gaurantee you will be calling yourself a Swedish Fish!

(think about it)

Old
04-08-2004, 05:24 PM
detredWINgs

I think Dipietro will be good in this series. And although neither team wants to admit it, whoever wins tonights game will get a big head from it. The Isles because they've done so well against TB and Tampa because they did so well in the regular season. Especially the fans of both teams too. Tonights win is gonna have a lot of Isles/Tampa fans claimig they'll sweep the loser of tonights game.

Old
04-08-2004, 07:31 PM
Tiki

Send a message via ICQ to Tiki
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier
Chances are, the world would likely end after the first Webb goal.
Even worse, A Steve Webb goal, assisted by Chow and Rick. Several fans on another site we know feel sudden urge to hang themselves! :lol

Old
04-08-2004, 09:21 PM
Brain Hemorrhage

Eric Cairns -- I said it before. I was hoping Niinimaa would take his ice time. It happened in period 1. Evidently Sterling had a brain fart in period 2 and put Cairns out there. Absolutely terrible game. ABSOLUTELY TERRIBLE. I couldn't be more upset over how we lost this game. Cairns better be traded in the off-season. Period. Get rid of him. This performance was inexcusable. Get another goon. I dont care who, find someone else to replace him. Get a real dman for god sakes.

Old
04-08-2004, 09:42 PM
Rschmitz

Despite a game pretty much dominated by the Isles on the score sheet minus the power play, "the wall" comes up big and the Lightning win 3-0. Roy's first goal was the game changer.

Old
04-08-2004, 09:59 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brain Hemorrhage
Eric Cairns -- I said it before....I dont care who, find someone else to replace him. Get a real dman for god sakes.
For the last three years I defended coach Laviolette's decision to give his top four dmen heavy minutes, while the majority lambasted him for not taking the "intramural" approach to icetime, i.e., giving equal shifts to his three d pairings.

If one didn't know before why the "equal right" approach to icetime is folly, and why coaches do and should have "favorites," they do now.

Last edited by Trottier: 04-08-2004 at 10:35 PM.
Old
04-08-2004, 10:07 PM
Vincent_TheGreat

Send a message via ICQ to Vincent_TheGreat
Will the real Lecavalier please stand up! Its the playoffs, start playing much better or sit in the press box! You think being in the playoffs he would play hard, but he's on some other planet. I knew I shouldn't have taken him, but I listened to my heart instead of my brain and made a huge mistake. Thank god I have Boyle and St. Louis to make up for his lack of play.

Old
04-08-2004, 10:15 PM
Oceanic39*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent_TheGreat
Will the real Lecavalier please stand up! Its the playoffs, start playing much better or sit in the press box! You think being in the playoffs he would play hard, but he's on some other planet. I knew I shouldn't have taken him, but I listened to my heart instead of my brain and made a huge mistake. Thank god I have Boyle and St. Louis to make up for his lack of play.
I thought Peca did a good job against Vinny, though Vinny did seem to stay to the outside most of the game (at least from the view on my couch).

NYI completely negated TB's transition game. I wasn't expecting that. I was expecting TB to not be able to establish a forecheck, due to the puck-moving dmen and Dipietro. TB did ok in that area.

TB stole this one, thanks to Khabibulin and Cairns. Luck went both ways. Marty St. Louis is cursing the ice caretaker for some bouncing pucks, one which went of the crossbar. Isles had some shots go through Khabi only to miss the net, hit the crossbar, or a TB dman.

Old
04-08-2004, 10:35 PM
Hockeyfan02

The part of the Lightning game I really liked tonight was their physical game. I've seen all week about how the Lightning arent physical but they were really throwing the body around as well as they did all season tonight. Modin was a wrecking ball including sending Kvasha head over heals. I saw Peca get leveled three times tonight. I thought there were weak calls by the refs tonight for both teams but that seems to be the trend in the playoffs. Two high sticks on Kubina and Aucoin were missed by the refs. Lightning have to clean up their turnovers for the next game. Khabibulin, Lightning fans have been looking for the big saves from you all season, tonight you delivered. Dipietro looked good in net tonight, Cairns let him down twice and a deflection got past him. He needs to pick his spots better if he going to play the puck like he did tonight. A few times it almost ended up in his own net. Good game to go to. Even though there were a few empty seats (dunno the exact number but it was pretty filled except for a few areas up top), the arena was loud tonight especially some idiot behind me who wanted a penalty for a Lightning player falling which was pissing off his girlfriend. Funny shots taken at the Isles/New York: Showed a stat about how of the other 49 states New York has had the most people move to Florida and even though I hate our mascot he had this sign: "I may be a mascot but I did stay at a Marriot last night".

Old
04-08-2004, 11:11 PM
aucoin for norris*

despite the loss NYI showed its their series for the picking.....khabibulin cant play this way for the whole series...NYI will be back

Old
04-08-2004, 11:53 PM
Rschmitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by aucoin for norris
despite the loss NYI showed its their series for the picking.....khabibulin cant play this way for the whole series...NYI will be back

Giguere did, Broduer has made a career of it; goalies deffinatly can take over a series and play stellar, EVERY GAME. TB fans are use to watching Khabibulin let in softies, so you may be right and his old habits could creep back. Then again, I expect iron fisted Tortorella to fix their holes and come back strong for game 2.

Old
04-09-2004, 12:38 AM
Sotnos

Quote:
Originally Posted by aucoin for norris
That's the problem with people who never watch the Bolts play, they see one game and think: "that's all there is?"

The only one who brought his A game tonight was Khabibulin. Hopefully the rest of the team will remember how to pass by Saturday.

If I wasn't so tired, I'd move all these posts over to the game thread that hardly anyone used

Old
04-09-2004, 04:17 AM
FLAMESFAN

vCash: 50
Thanks for the win, next game let's try to get some assists!

Closed Thread